The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:32 am 

russclark wrote:
i have started to build jean bart in 1/192 ,i was wondering if there would be any intrest in me posting my progress on to build board.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4969/im000487oa9.jpg

Absolutely. You should start a thread over in the Scratchbuilt Forum.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:44 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
russclark wrote:
i have started to build jean bart in 1/192 ,i was wondering if there would be any intrest in me posting my progress on to build board.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4969/im000487oa9.jpg

Absolutely. You should start a thread over in the Scratchbuilt Forum.

[quote]thanks martin i think i will,not all that great at typing and expressing things but will try my best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:38 pm 

Location: turning into a power-hungry Yamato-models-munching monster... buahahahaha...
chuck wrote:
When the Richelieu comes out in 1/350, I intend to back date that all the way to the original 1939 design of the ship, which featured 2 more wing 6" turrets midship, and a aircraft hanger in the back.

This may be a silly question, but were the wings turrets ever fitted?

Jorit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:57 pm 

No. But their barbettes were.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:41 pm 

Location: turning into a power-hungry Yamato-models-munching monster... buahahahaha...
Ah, I see.

As I have a 1/700 one in my stash and would like to place it beside my Algerie, is there anything readily available on her early war/Dakar fit? I particularly wonder about rangefinders, searchlights and light AA.

JOrit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:52 pm 

None that I am aware of. Trumpeter's kit represents Richelieu after her 1943 US refit. She still had most of her French directors and medium and heavy armament fit, but the light AA weapons are mostly American, and her original aircraft handling equipment on her stern are all gone. I would like to reconfigure Trumpeter's upcoming 1/350 into its original French design. I am partial to the Richelieu design and thinks she is arguably ton for ton the best WWII era battleship design of them all, and easily the finest European fundamental battleship design ever actually built.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:01 am 

Oh, and what if Trumpy did a Dunkerque/Strasbourg... after Richelieu and Kirov- well, that's all my dream ships!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:32 pm 

Hey folks:

Just a quick note of correction on the painting guide on the new Trumpeter Jean Bart:
:thinking:
The guide calls for all wood decks to be painted/stained dark grey. Hmmmmmmmmm....... So I cracked open a reference....

In Garzke & Dulin's battleship book P. 124 shows a picture of Jean Bart overhead in 1955. Her wood decks are clearly left unpainted. The only dark grey area is her forecastle. So, if you wish, paint your decks accordingly. :nod_2:

HTH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:02 pm 

does anyone know if when the jean bart had bulges added if the bilge keels were left off.hull frame drawings show richelieu with then,and jean bart without.
maybe the added beam without the bilge keels stopped the roll enough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:06 pm 

Thankyou Jon :thumbs_up_1: , I had been somewhat worried about that, as I have discovered that for me, I find it easier to paint the decks first, then mask them and paint all other detail. I find that laying long strips of masking tape flat on the deck, so much more enjoyable than trying to form fit it around various compounf shapes.
Another reason for being apprehensive about the dark colour was the rest of the ship is light grey, and I was wondering how many coats of light grey woould be required to cover up the dark grey on all the deck details.
Do you have a link to that picture of JB in 55 ?.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:25 pm 

Take a look at this ships on this site. I really like the light grey on the Algerie and Jean Bart.

http://picasaweb.google.fr/jpbweb/MdlM

To achieve this color - (or at least really close), mix model master "French Dark Blue Gray" - #2105 with equal parts white. It comes out to a beautiful shade that matches the pictures show very closely. Since there are no real references for 1950s French Naval Colors - this seems close.

Now I get the impression that the French modern grey offered by WEM is for today's navy. Not sure if it will work for 1950s French navy. Perhaps John Snyder can chime in on this....

At any rate, this is what I've found.

HTH :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:27 am 

Quote:
Do you have a link to that picture of JB in 55

Unfortunately no. It's from Garzke and Dulin's BB book. I don't have a scanner or I'd send it to you. However, if you can get your hands on the book, you can see what I mean.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:01 am 

As far as I know, M 07 would be suitable for the 1950s, but I'll gladly defer to others more knowledgeable....

Shady Grove Farm on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShadyGroveDuckEggs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:13 am 

chuck wrote:
None that I am aware of. Trumpeter's kit represents Richelieu after her 1943 US refit. She still had most of her French directors and medium and heavy armament fit, but the light AA weapons are mostly American, and her original aircraft handling equipment on her stern are all gone. I would like to reconfigure Trumpeter's upcoming 1/350 into its original French design. I am partial to the Richelieu design and thinks she is arguably ton for ton the best WWII era battleship design of them all, and easily the finest European fundamental battleship design ever actually built.

I looked a little bit around, and this is what what I found (warning: very large files!!):

http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... 0C220b.tif

Great detailed plan of the intended configuration with five 6in turrets.

http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... PL3933.tif

Post-1943 plan after fitting of US AA etc.

http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... 61-151.tif

Plan of the 1940/1941 fit with 12 37mm AA.

These should be rather helpful methinks...

Jorit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:55 pm 

still stuck on bilge keels on j.b did she have them or not,also does anone how what colors the paint is on this pic any help greaty appreciated.some models show keels but drawings of hull plans do not

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:40 am 
Hello there! How come I could never see the Heller Jean Bart kit? Is it out of production? How rare is it now? How much should I expect to pay for it? Will Trumpeter soon release the Jean Bart in scale 1:350? Does anyone know?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:50 am 

Heller's Jean Bart,along with their other ship kits such as Strasburg, Richeleiu etc, are all out of production and the Jean Bart in particular, tends to fetch high prices on the likes of ebay etc. Heller went into administration sometime last year, and although a 2008 release program was published elsewhere on the web, nothing has been heard of them since.

Trumpeter are bringing out 1/350 versions of the Richeleiu this year, and 1/700 versions are already available.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:56 am 

Check the for sale section. every now and then one pops up.

i don't remember if it was on here or on the other site but there was somebody trying to sell a JB or a Rich recently for $50-100 or so. since they are oop, people charge an arm and a leg for them...but with trumpy releasing a larger kit (prob. more detailed too) they should be dropping their price just to get rid of the kit.

their 1/700 JB should be out this year. not sure if they will also do a 1/350.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:01 pm 

Here's what the finished item will look like - if you are fortunate enough to find one!

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:10 pm 

Very Nice Dave, I think those French Battleships have lovely lines, imagine a third 15" Quad "Y" Turret on the quarterdeck instead of the heavy secondaries, now that would look very nice. :thumbs_up_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next