The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:10 am 

biercemountain,

Thank you for confirming my hazy recollection: I am not gaga yet!

I would not like to argue with your Reference but the "low funnels" on German warships seems a bit contradictory: all images of German small and large cruisers, as well as capital ships, that I've seen, show that their funnels were no shorter than any other navies.

Theoretically, any naval architect of the time could have designed a telescopic funnel and a ship yard executed it but how practical it would have been is open to question. Think heat and expanded metal.

That said, the idea of lowering telescopic funnels was intended to "remove" them as an aid to the opposition's using them to establish the inclination of the target: a necessary element in achieving a fire control solution. Someone and it may again have been "Jacky" Fisher, also wanted to eliminate masts, or at least keep the number fitted to just one, for the same purpose.

Be that as it may, weren't the "Invincibles" originally completed with short funnels for the reasons stated before the height had to be increased in order to reduce the smoke problem?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:26 am 

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Ken who posted in this thread; earlier this year. A great friend of my father, the world gets a little less colourful in his absence and I'll miss the sharp sense of humour! I am not sure that many children of crewmen of these ships remain now, we have the photos, historical record and the memories left behind; but I am heartened to hear the tradition of service continues on in the family. New Zealand was a lucky ship, and I believe his father was aboard her through nearly all the battles in the war. Rest in peace, we will miss you, from those of us in Australia.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:49 am 

Hello, all. I'm working on a trio of 3d printed 1/144 scale models of HMS Invincible. I modeled the hull using scans of some of the plans that the Royal Navy museum has online. The first one will probably remain a static model. The second hull is going to be used a a plug for a mold to make copies in fiberglass and I'm planning to add radio control and rotating turrets to the third one. I was given permission to use a model of her superstructure which represents her appearance in late 1914. I'd like for the RC model to reflect her appearance at the battle of Jutland. Are there any pictures or references that would help me update the superstructure details? I'm also wondering if there are good references to the types of ship's boats she'd have carried?

PS. Here's a mock up of the superstructure I'm currently printing.
PPS. I have a thread with more pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=376344

Attachments:
screenshot16.png
screenshot16.png [ 80.45 KiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

Last edited by Xanthar on Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:31 pm 

DavidP wrote:
the wing turrets' spacing does not look right according to the plans I sent you? what material(s) are you going to make the various decks out of?

I took a guess : ) Does anyone know what frame numbers they were close to or centered on?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7