The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:22 am 
Re. the photo of Indomitable towing Lion to Rosyth after Dogger Bank. This was the gold standard for years for the Lion at DB. But I recently found a closeup of Lion arriving in port surrounded by tugs on the Wingleader photo site (the former Postlethwaite service). Search "HMS LION" and you will see it.

http://www.wingleader.co.uk/ww2-photo-library/

This close view seems to show Lion with the full side "ship panel" carried by Princess Royal at the time of Dogger Bank. There are two photos of PR with this that I know about. One was taken by a nurse on a hospital ship in Rosyth. I found it, of all places, on a Gallipoli site. There is also one of PR on the web showing it. How does this full hull panel tally with the distant view of Lion? It doesn't, no way, no how. I have a suspicion the photo of the ship under tow might have been enhanced and the person who did the job gave Lion the 1915-style half-panel. But! Interestingly, all the period paintings of Lion returning from the battle do not show any panel at all. I have a suspicion they were all done from imagination because they almost all show L with her prewar very tall foremast---it had been reduced in height so the ship could pass under the Forth RR bridge. There is a Wyllie showing L and PR in 1915 with the half hull panel, but no other paintings show the panels. I wonder if depicting disruptive camouflage was censored?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:56 pm 

It says on this Steel Navy site review that the HP HMS Indomitable kit has the wrong turret shape.

Would someone who has built any of the HP Invincible class kits please elaborate on this defect?

I am guessing this can be corrected using an old Polygon shape turret set from Admiralty Modelworks? (unless they only offer it for guns above 14-inch and 15-inch)

Source: Steel Navy review on Indomitable http://www.steelnavy.com/HPIndomitableMV.htm

Quote:
I believe that all three models of RN battlecruisers from HP (Invincible, Inflexible and Indomitable) are the same set of castings and that my Indomitable kit was the Invincible in 1914 but with incorrect wing turrets

(...SNIPPED)

I decided to depict the absent hull plating by scribing the resin hull surface, as the plating was visible in photos of the ship. The incorrect turrets were modified to the correct shape using styrene sheet, and the 12" guns were replaced with the Seals Models RN & IJN fittings, which are a great source of parts. The HP boats and light guns were oversimplified and horrible; these were replaced using again mostly Seals Models parts.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:46 pm 

No the 15 inch turrets by Admiralty will not work. The early Dreadnaught and other 12 inch armed BB and BC turrets were similar to each other, but not close to the later 15 inch turrets on the QE and R classes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:14 am 

So, I own the mentioned Breyer, Burt, and even have the Roberts book where the Indefatigable is mentioned. I'm still hunting for images of her in 1915/1916 with specific regard to the disposition of her forward superstructure. I can infer, based on the Jutland photograph, that her bridge looked similar to the Combrig kit, but Breyer's drawings suggest substantial changes.

Also: When the 4" guns were casemated, was the top of the aft superstructure decked over? Seems silly to place the forward two 4" guns in case mates and leave them exposed on top.

Any additional images or information would be appreciated. I contacted the guy listed on the Flickr account (linked on this thread) and hope to get a better copy of the watermarked Indefatigable/New Zealand 1915 image. The fraking "e" from the watermarket sits literally over what I need........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6