The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:32 am 

I'm no expert but would seem to me that a somewhat easier idea is to convert a Queen Elizabeth which I believe has been done, than an Iron Duke. Major hull surgery for both, but significantly less with the QE I would think.

The R's "U" shaped stern is a major difference from both Duke and QE. The Duke's break from forecastle deck level to quarter deck level is at the fore funnel, while the R's and QE's is near the mainmast.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:20 am 

Hi

Does anyone have some plans for R-class battleships. Body line etc
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:18 am 

DavidP wrote:
I have the profile morskie books for the Resolution & Royal Oak, would that work?
I have also
I have also original body plan but only frames. I m looking for rest of thi drawing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:47 am 

Hello gentlemen!
I would like to discuss with you the mysterious variations of camouflage for another forgotten hero of the Second World War.
Here is an illustration from the book ANGUS KONSTAM NEW VANGUARD • 154 BRITISH BATTLESHIPS 1939-45(1) Queen Elizabeth and Royal Sovereign Classes:

the caption reads: For example, in the late summer of 1940, HMS Revenge was painted in the camouflage pattern shown here, which was known as the Unofficial Disruptive Camouflage Scheme - Home Fleet. She continued to sport it until the summer of 1942.
This coloration is confirmed by several not very legible photos:

The camouflage on the roofs of the main battery turrets is interesting!

Please note that in the photo the main mast has already been shortened and a type 279 radar has been installed. So they do not belong to the summer of 1940, but to 1941. I could not find the exact date of installation of the radar. If anyone has any advice, thanks in advance.

Further - even more interesting. Great photo, probably known to many:

Usually defined as August 1941. Probably, the same scheme is shown in this photo (IWM A 1512), in any case, it can be seen that the roofs of the towers are not camouflaged:

only IWM is sure that the date of shooting is 1940 :think:
The only photo of the starboard side that I could find:

Which of the two schemes it belongs to is not clear.

This repainting of HMS Revenge did not end here, here is a photo of 1942:

Interestingly, the pom-poms on the B and X turrets are already installed, but the type 285 and 273 radars are not yet. I also could not see Oerlikons in this photo.
In short, please help!

Post subject: HMS Royal Oak in WW II
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:23 pm 
I just have a quick question on HMS Royal Oak. I'm trying to find without much luck what model aircraft she carried before her loss.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:04 pm 

It was a Fairey IIIF as far as I know.

https://naval-encyclopedia.com/naval-aviation/ww2/uk/fairey-iii.php

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:56 am 

Chargerman,

A very good question!!

Notwithstanding Mr Church's answer, you may need to do a little more research. The aircraft, if she embarked one at the outbreak of war, is likely to have come from 701 (Catapult flights) Naval Air Squadron. The only authority that I know of on the matter will be a book by the late Ray Sturtivant ISO who wrote one on the history of Fleet Air Arm Squadrons some years ago. However, it may only give details of the types of aircraft and not which one was assigned to the ship. To be more precise would be a matter of finding any "log" of the squadron: if it still exists, and doing a search. I suggest that you contact the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton for further help.

I am fairly certain that the aircraft was not onboard when she was lost in October 1939, however, if she had had one then it was probably flown off to Hatston, the naval air station at Kirkwall, in Orkney, when she returned to Scapa Flow.

It is known that ROYAL OAK's sister, HMS RESOLUTION did embark a Swordfish at the around the time of mobilisation for war but I can't speak for ROYAL OAK, sorry!

Best of Luck with the quest: as quick as the question was!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:49 pm 

A lot depends on what you mean by "before her loss". Royal Oak carried various types of aircraft during her lifetime.

However if you mean during September and October 1939 then the official record is quite clear:

- In the list of FAA squadrons and their aircraft allocations to ships Royal Oak does not feature. (Resolution does with 1 x Swordfish from 702 Squadron.)

- In the listing of ships particular details about them were recorded including whether or not they carried aircraft. Royal Oak is recorded as not carrying aircraft.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:43 am 

All very valid points lads. No doubt the sources you suggest will lead to a definitive answer. I had just automatically assumed the question related to the time between her 1934-36 modernisation and the time of her loss.

RA Burt's British Battleships 1919-1945 lists Resolution and Royal Oak as having training catapults on 'X' Turret and a Fairey IIIF Seaplane under their particulars for 1939. Of course that could simply be an 'on paper' capability and doesn't necessarily mean the aircraft were actually carried.

Come to think of it I don't think I have ever seen a photo of Royal Oak carrying an aircraft between 1936 and her loss in 1939. Suppose it was a relatively short timeframe. So not to say it never happened. And no doubt photographing military equipment became trickier as security tightened as the war drew near.

In the end of the day it is your model and your choice. I decided to add the aircraft to mine. Must have been a training exercise on the particular day the model is depicted in 1937!

Attachment:
52740915355_a46699ae8d_b.jpg
52740915355_a46699ae8d_b.jpg [ 101.18 KiB | Viewed 12658 times ]

Attachment:
52742410720_32890cc2fc_b.jpg
52742410720_32890cc2fc_b.jpg [ 151.09 KiB | Viewed 12658 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:08 am 

The only photos I have seen of Royal Oak after her major refit with an aircraft embarked were taken in June 1937 and show a de Havilland Queen Bee on the catapult on "X" turret - eg https://i0.wp.com/www.destinationsjourn ... .jpg?ssl=1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9