The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Now we just need them to come out with a WW1 R class ship for us to build in this scheme!

Amen to that Martin :thumbs_up_1: :cool_2:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:48 am 

Shhhh, listen--(k-k-k-r-r-t.....k-k-k-r-r-t.....)

What's that noise?--(k-k-k-r-r-t.....k-k-k-r-r-t.....)

Why, it sounds like someone SCRATCHING!

Could it be a MODELLER, either building or converting a model of an R-class battleship in a WW1 version?

:wink_3.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
Shhhh, listen--(k-k-k-r-r-t.....k-k-k-r-r-t.....)

What's that noise?--(k-k-k-r-r-t.....k-k-k-r-r-t.....)

Why, it sounds like someone SCRATCHING!

Could it be a MODELLER, either building or converting a model of an R-class battleship in a WW1 version?

:wink_3.gif

Blah, blah blah!! :big_grin:

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:33 pm 

I have never been a huge RN fan, especially their cruisers, but I must admit to an affection for their battleships/cruisers.
The Royal soveriegn ships are very attractive.
I think I'm getting the WSW kit for a christmas gift. for myself, as my GF is adamant about not supporting my "stash" until I finish something. :heh:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:00 pm 

Just made a whole new post above saying there wasn't a listing for this class and I've even posted here recently. EEEEESSHHHH! :doh_1: :Oops_1: :sorry:
I'm at work and half asleep.
Anyway, Is the WSW kit worth the cost? etc...

Thanks and sorry again,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:25 pm 

model_citizen wrote:
Just made a whole new post above saying there wasn't a listing for this class and I've even posted here recently. EEEEESSHHHH! :doh_1: :Oops_1: :sorry:
I'm at work and half asleep.
Anyway, Is the WSW kit worth the cost? etc...

Thanks and sorry again,
Chris

No worries, I whacked the other thread.

Yes, it's a nice kit. I both the WSW and Samek kits. Both have their plusses and minuses, but I think the WSW looks pretty nice. Jim Baumann did a bang up job on one here.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:01 am 

I have been trying to help get a Ramillies kit into production for about the last 3-years.
I have a partial set of 1930s plans for her. I have every photo of her from the IWM, NMM, MPSL and also 3-4 ships company photo albums from WW2 and many, many postcard photographs including ones of her in dry-dock and from collision damage and in the 1917 dazzle scheme.
I still await for the manufacturers to realize what they are missing out on as a 1917 and 1944 kit of this ship is SERIOUSLY needed!

Also gentlemen are you aware there is some rare wartime colour footage of Royal Sovereign on one of the released IWM DVD's. It is done as a like DVD extra and is shot form her quarterdeck, in colour panning across the aft superstructure of Royal Sovereign .

Finally I also have a video somewhere which is the history of Devonport, Plymouth naval base (it is called Dock in the Hamoaze) and on it I recall there is the use of a still photograph showing perhaps Ramillies in drydock there in late-1942 or early 1943 for her refit she had after she came back from Madagascar damaged. I remember seeing it and thought damn there's a photo I don't have and have never seen before. It appeared to also show a camouflage scheme which seemed different also, although if another R-class was refitted there in ww2 it could have been that ship. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Cheers
LB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:44 pm 

Hello Laurence,

I would enjoy seeing your 1917 dazzle Ramillies post cards. There is also a great picture of Ramillies in dazzle in Friedman's Navel Firepower book. I have the WSW Royal Oak and it should be straight forward to convert to Ramillies 1917. Only three projects to complete prior to starting. So somewhen in the future...

Cheers,
George

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:26 pm 

Ramillies:

Attachments:
Ramillies_011509.jpg
Ramillies_011509.jpg [ 91.18 KiB | Viewed 14256 times ]

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:54 pm 

Resolution:

Attachments:
File comment: HMS Resolution
HMSResolution020809.jpg
HMSResolution020809.jpg [ 105.54 KiB | Viewed 14212 times ]

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 pm 

I love that "R" class dazzle design. I have an old NAVIS 1:1250 model of an "R" class that I could repaint in that design, meanwhile, I am painting a Superior Models 1:1200 IRON DUKE in a similar design, with my own ideas thrown in. It is good therapy, if nothing else . . . while I wait for a new "R" class model in WWI to come on the market. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:53 am 
can anyone tell me where i can buy a hms Royal Oak model kit ? Its a first build but i am looking for a good quality kit . thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:45 am 

I know WSW produce a model of the Royal Oak in 1/700. It's available from Pacific Front and White Ensign Models if I remember correctly. The kit is resin and dosen't come with PE parts. I have this model in my stash and it's looking quite good.

I know Samek produced one also but since they are out-of-business finding a Royal Oak might be a bit difficult and probably pricy. I haven't seen this particular kit but having two kits from Samek it surely looks pretty good. I don't know if that model came with a PE set.

Hope this helps!

Sylvain :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:02 pm 

Is there anyone who can give me a lead on some plans in or near 1/96 for Ramillies? I discovered some time back that my grandfather served aboard her and I'd like to take a shot a building a model.

Thanks,
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:38 pm 

Hi All:

I have the Novo 1/500 Royal Sovereign kit. Does anyone know if the spotting platform is accurate for 1916? Most of the photos I've seen of the class have fairly elabourate spotting tops but I wonder if this was always the case. At the back of my mind is the spotting platform in the Airfix Iron Duke. That part of the ship needs to be simplified if you wish to depict Iron Duke circa. Jutland.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:43 pm 

I love the Dazzle sheme of Ramillies too. Since I have the Samek kit it is obvious that this ship is at the very top of my priority listing.
Laurance, I would most appreciate to see your Ramillies pictures too. Hope I will see you at this year at the Telford show.
There are pretty good pictures of Ramillies in Burts Books.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 am 
I still have the original 1/500 Royal Sovereign/Revenge kit from my childhood but I thought the manufacturer was Eagle. It's a little battered but just one of the few models I kept from my childhood - I am now 54.

Geoff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:42 pm 

:wave_1:
Geoff wrote:
I still have the original 1/500 Royal Sovereign/Revenge kit from my childhood... I am now 54.

Geoff

THOSE were the days, my friend! :wave_1:

Boomers RULE! :big_grin:

Post subject: Calling all R-class fans
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:00 am 

Hi all!

Having made a good start with Academy's Warspite, I'm starting to think about a conversion into an R-class (Royal Sovereign or Revenge class) battleship. Has anyone else already considered this?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:02 am 

That's the same class as Royal Oak, right? viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35645

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next