The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 239  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm 

Hey, thanks David!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:15 pm 

Paravane hull-dawn chain....

Attachments:
Dim00006.jpg
Dim00006.jpg [ 239.14 KiB | Viewed 2480 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:16 pm 

1:350

Attachments:
Dim00005.jpg
Dim00005.jpg [ 153.7 KiB | Viewed 2477 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:43 pm 

Iowa arriving at Fleet Week in New York City, 1988. Photos from my personal collection.
Attachment:
File comment: Coming up the Hudson River
scan0033.jpg
scan0033.jpg [ 2.31 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0007.jpg
scan0007.jpg [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0008.jpg
scan0008.jpg [ 3.18 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0009.jpg
scan0009.jpg [ 2.92 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0003.jpg
scan0003.jpg [ 2.94 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0004.jpg
scan0004.jpg [ 2.86 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0012.jpg
scan0012.jpg [ 2.45 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0002.jpg
scan0002.jpg [ 2.75 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg [ 2.93 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0006.jpg
scan0006.jpg [ 3.04 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0005.jpg
scan0005.jpg [ 2.77 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

Attachment:
scan0010.jpg
scan0010.jpg [ 2.76 MiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:25 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

1/350 diorama with Intrepid? Come on, Martin, you know you want to do it.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:52 am 

1:200 Scale IOWA class builders:

I need the following part if anyone has a spare (or is using a 3rd party replacement and has no plans to use the kit part):

Sprue G -
Attachment:
Sprue G_2.JPG
Sprue G_2.JPG [ 153.39 KiB | Viewed 2172 times ]

This is the Main Deck Breakwater. Here it is in the instructions:
Attachment:
Instr_1.JPG
Instr_1.JPG [ 76.06 KiB | Viewed 2172 times ]

I just discovered it was broken and need a new one. Unfortunately, Stevens International does not have this sprue available, and all I got on the Trumpeter website was Chinese jibber-jabber. I don't know if their parts replacement page is working or not. I do not care for the Pontos version of it and will use the kit part instead.

I am also looking for Parts B, C, and X if anyone knows of someone who might have those available.
Attachment:
Parts.JPG
Parts.JPG [ 42.37 KiB | Viewed 2172 times ]

Thanks,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:50 am 

Hi Hank,

I'm pretty sure I can send you the breakwater. Let me check tonight and I'll get back to you

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:38 am 

Hank I have the breakwater.

Salisbury, NC
USS Iowa BB61 1943 post refit
1:200 Trumpeter w/ Pontos detail up with deck
USS Missouri BB63 1945 1:350

In planning T2-SE-A2 tanker AO-82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:18 pm 

Hank, you'd probably get Scott's sooner, seeing as how he's down in your neck of the woods. But, if you do want me to send you mine, send me a PM with your address.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 am 

Larry,

Yes - I've been in e-touch w/Scott - THANKS!!! for the offer. When all is said and done and my NEW JERSEY finally finished (and I do have some replacements to create mast and conning tower-wise using PE in place of styrene) - I will probably post my left-overs as by then retirement will be hopefully near and room at a premium. :big_grin:

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:45 pm 

I am interested in adding lighting to my 1/200 Missouri. I envision multiple lighting configurations. I have a couple of questions:

1. In war zone, would the ship show any form of navigation lights to avoid collision with other ships in formation?
2. In war zone, Would there be an faint red night vision lights visible through bridge windows?
3. Besides normal sailing conditions away from war zone, would Missouri show any lights other than port and starboard wing light, bow and stern light and masthead light?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:06 am 

Also, would the ship show deck lights when traveling outside warzone?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:52 pm 

Hello all, first post but love this forum. I just ordered the Tamyia 1/350 (1991) Missouri and can't wait to start. There is a ton of information here so, thanks upfront for that. I will be experimenting with PE and the wood deck for the first time (Best place to get these?). I want to do as much detail as I can but not sure what PE to get and and how much I should tackle. I haven't built a model in over 30 years but just finished the Revell USS Constitution 1/194 and it came out great. so, I will continue going through this forum and searching but any advice and or tips would be greatly appreciated. Ie, which PE, wood deck, tools I may need etc.
Again, thanks in advance for the information I have found already in the forums. Looking forward to this build and those to come.
Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am 

thepatriot76 wrote:
Hello all, first post but love this forum. I just ordered the Tamyia 1/350 (1991) Missouri and can't wait to start. There is a ton of information here so, thanks upfront for that. I will be experimenting with PE and the wood deck for the first time (Best place to get these?). I want to do as much detail as I can but not sure what PE to get and and how much I should tackle. I haven't built a model in over 30 years but just finished the Revell USS Constitution 1/194 and it came out great. so, I will continue going through this forum and searching but any advice and or tips would be greatly appreciated. Ie, which PE, wood deck, tools I may need etc.
Again, thanks in advance for the information I have found already in the forums. Looking forward to this build and those to come.
Thanks,

Hello and welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see another lost soul find his/her way back to the hobby.

Yes, there is a ton of information here - enough to be overwhelming. I'm not going to tell you what or how to do it, but what I've done is to create a folder on my desktop called "USS Missouri". In it, I made 2 sub-folders "Pictures" and "Tips". The next thing I did was to get a good screen capture program. Actually, I already have one I've used for years - SnagIt, from www.techsmith.com. It's fairly expensive ($50), but I couldn't live without it. I'm sure there are other less expensive ones on the market that work just as well, though. Regardless, as you go through the various forums here and see things you thing are worth saving, capture them and put them in your Missouri folder. You can organize them any way you want, and it will turn out to be an invaluable reference as you build your model.

Now, about your ship itself. Personally, If you have the coins, I'd look seriously at getting a Pontos detail-up set for your ship. I'm not sure what, if any PE comes with your kit (I'm building the Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri) but on mine the PE that comes with it is minimal at least. Actually, I have the Pontos detail kit (it does come with a wooden deck), and also several sets of PE parts from Eduard as well. As complete as the Pontos set is, Eduard does have some parts that are not in the Pontos set.

As to where to get stuff? Well, I'm one of these guys they wants to keep my local hobby shop in business, so I get most of my supplies and parts from them. Not only does it keep them from closing their doors, they have a lot of tips and have helped me as well.

If they can't fill your needs, I've found some really great sources on line. Spru Brothers and Squadron are both really super places to shop on line for kits and detail sets. As for tools, MIcro-Mark has just about every small tool imaginable, albeit a bit on the expensive side. I've found that my local Menards or Home Depot carries a lot of small tools that work well in getting you set-up. Also, believe it or not, I've found really neat stuff when my wife drags me to Jo-Ann Fabrics.

I would get a middle-of-the-line air brush and, if you can spring it, a small compressor. My air brush is a Badger that was around $100 and I have a compressor that I got on Amazon for around $75. I'm very satisfied with both.

Two more items you will want to consider are a good light and a magnifier. I have a headband magnifier but I don't care for it. We have a craft outlet store here in Grand Rapids and I was able to pick up a $250 floor stand LED craft light with a 10X magnifier lens on a separate flexible arm for 75% off. I love it and as far as I'm concerned, it's well worth the $250 list price

I don't want to drag this on forever, but take your time, be patient, and have fun. Don't try to rush, you will only make mistakes and lose parts to the carpet monster. But, if you just finished the Revell Old Ironsides, you already know that. I built that kit, as well as their "Thermopylae" back when I was a kid and that rigging was a real beast!

Also, we'e here to help you. Questions, tips, whatever, feel free to ask. You might want to consider starting a build log here so that the questions and details you have as you go along will all be consolidated in one place. Plus, it gives us a chance to see how you're progressing.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 am 

thepatriot76 wrote:
Thanks,

I second what Larry said. I also built the 1/350 Tamiya Missouri 1991 version (you can see a video of it if you click on the link to my YouTube Channel below my signature), and used the Pontos detail set. One thing I will stress heavily though is don’t rely on the self adhesive backing of the wooden decks. It is very poor and your decks will buckle and lift off the model. There is an explanation somewhere in the tips section of this forum about how to use acrylic gel adhesive instead to secure the decks, and I cannot emphasize enough to go that method instead. It will save you many headaches and cursing....

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:06 pm 

Larry, thank you for your time it took to give me some great info and tips. I think the Tamyia kit comes with one piece of PE, if I didn't work so much i'd know, they tried to deliver it Friday LOL (I'm now the kid in the dugout, pouring rain , still hoping to play the game) Guess I'll see Monday. I was planning on diving all in with PE. Been reading a lot about the wooden deck as well and from what I can tell, it's really about proper prep and careful gluing. THOMAS, thanks for the heads up and I'll be on my way to scroll through your videos. Larry, I'm a folder/Sub Folder guy too so thanks for that. I have a snip it tool for capturing screen shots so I'm sure that will come in handy. I have a pretty good light/magnifier(Heavy metal base) that I use as well, it was my dad's from the USS Hornet (CV-12), yup, Picked up Apollo 11. Anyway, thanks again for the insight and direction. I am going to continue to make my supply list and search out a couple local hobby places, shouldn't be hard in this area. I can't wait to dig in on Big Mo! I'm sure I'll be pretty overwhelmed when I open her up but I will definitely being taking my time and asking for any help or tips if I need. Thanks again for the welcome and I'll updated as I go..

Thomas, just realized your video was the first one I watched as I started me research :) Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 am 

Howdy Patriot, Not sure what your real name is, so this will have to do.

I was going to add something yesterday and I totally forgot. I'm not sure how deep your pockets are (or how much your wife will let you spend) but you would be well advised to go to "The Floating Drydock" (TFD) http://www.floatingdrydock.com/ and order a set of plans for the Missouri. In my opinion they are invaluable when it comes to adding detail on the ship.

I hope you enjoy your kit. It sounds like you're pretty much on your way to having a decent "studio". And one other thing: My deck hasn't been on very long - 3 months, maybe, but it's holding fine. I just cleaned the plastic good with alcohol to get all the grease and fingerprints off and then blew the dust & stuff off with compressed air just before putting it down. No problems so far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:04 am 

steinerman wrote:
Howdy Patriot, Not sure what your real name is, so this will have to do.

I was going to add something yesterday and I totally forgot. I'm not sure how deep your pockets are (or how much your wife will let you spend) but you would be well advised to go to "The Floating Drydock" (TFD) http://www.floatingdrydock.com/ and order a set of plans for the Missouri. In my opinion they are invaluable when it comes to adding detail on the ship.

I hope you enjoy your kit. It sounds like you're pretty much on your way to having a decent "studio". And one other thing: My deck hasn't been on very long - 3 months, maybe, but it's holding fine. I just cleaned the plastic good with alcohol to get all the grease and fingerprints off and then blew the dust & stuff off with compressed air just before putting it down. No problems so far.

Larry, I wasn't thinking when I set up my profile, Gary Barter is the name, I've used "ThePatriot76" for years (Stationed overseas and it worked) I will be going by the post office to pick up Big Mo shortly but it will be back to work. I plan to go through the kit and then make my completed list. My wife is wonderful and (Maybe not all at once) if I feel "I need it" I can get it. I am researching air brush, tools, paint etc. BTW, the closets hobby store (Not being Michael's or Hobby Lobby) is Hobby Town all others are an hour or so drive but may be worth it at times. Only issue I have right now (He says having not opened the box yet) I can't commit to a time period. WWII , Surrender +the people(Blue Deck), post WWII/Korea (Teak I Think) ... I've seen both completed and they both look really nice. Anyway, thank you again...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:20 pm 

Gary,

While you're at TFD, I would highly suggest you also purchase a copy of the TFD EPlan Book - USS MISSOURI (BB-63) - while no longer available in print version, it is still worth the money spent and you could go to a local print shop (unless you have an 11x17 printer) and get the book printed out - and I highly recommend this, as well. While the younger generation believes in all this electronic b.s., I can still run circles around them doing actual production CAD drawings while they're sitting around panning back & forth on their monitor from drawing to reference trying to accomplish zilch in 8 hours.

This book contains 1/8" scale drawings and b/w photos of the ship as of 1945 from end to end. If you're building an IOWA class model, this could be your "Bible".

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:03 pm 

Hank, thank you! I plan on working in sections and with my laptop not sure I'll need to print anyway. I probably have downloaded over 150 pics so far for reference as well. Man, I'm loving the history lesson from my research of "Mighty Mo"
Thanks,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 239  Next