The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4843 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 243  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 pm 

This version of the 12" signal lamp on the Iowa's was typically installed by the flag bags on the 03 level and also on the wings of the Flag bridge one level below the navigating bridge. These used either a 1000w incandescent bulb or a Xenon unit.

Whether or not any were placed aft of the second funnel by the aft flag bag, I do not know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 am 

steinerman wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Gentlemen. Having never seen these searchlights anyplace else, I had a hunch they were never added. But, I never thought that they might be portable and could be moved from place to place.

Thanks for the input!

There is another set at the corner of 04 level platform around the fore funnel midship. I suspect these 9” lamps are used for shipboard illumination as well as light search light duty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm 

I don't find any references to a 9" searchlight, possibly the battery powered handheld model? There is no 04 level aft of the navigation bridge wings near the stack except for a small landing for the inclined ladders on the aft of the stack. I think the ones you are mentioning are immediately aft of the flag bags on the 03 level and the mounting base remains on Missouri today.

Attached is a photo of the light mounted on the flag bridge of Missouri. A flexible power cord plugged into a power source on the deck nearby. Looks as if it merely slips into a enlarged stanchion and is easily removed. The arm is provided to allow the light to be easily positioned so as to avoid any ship structure.

Attachment:
twelve inch searchlight.JPG
twelve inch searchlight.JPG [ 297.31 KiB | Viewed 1320 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:02 pm 

The 9” lamps I refer to are on the the floating dry dock plans and the Gibbs model. They are mounted directly on the edge of aft corner of the inclined ladder platform on 04 level, on each side of the fore funnel, just ahead and over the midship 5” mount. They are not mounted on stanchions above railing, but directly on the edge of the deck. Because it would be hard to manipulate and point the lamp in this position, It looks to me like they were meant shine down at a fixed angle to illuminate the open deck space around the midship 5” mounts, and not be frequently manipulated to point to outboard targets.

I don’t think they lasted to the present. They are not on the Iowa now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm 

Not currently on Missouri and looking at my photos I don't see any items that look like mounts remaining. Interesting items and wonder if they made it aboard any of the ships and for how long. Another curiosity is the binnacle at this location. Some sort of emergency alternate conning station? No wheel, no engine order telegraph.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 am 

Fliger747 wrote:
Not currently on Missouri and looking at my photos I don't see any items that look like mounts remaining. Interesting items and wonder if they made it aboard any of the ships and for how long. Another curiosity is the binnacle at this location. Some sort of emergency alternate conning station? No wheel, no engine order telegraph.

That's on the open bridge wings, that's where you conn during an UNREP.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:12 am 

The position I am referring to is immediately aft of the forward stack, not on the bridge wings.

: )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 am 

Ok, sorry. The one after the stack is the master compass, the others are repeaters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:23 am 

As good a place as one could find given the huge steel objects populating a Battleship.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:36 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:
Another curiosity is the binnacle at this location. Some sort of emergency alternate conning station? No wheel, no engine order telegraph.

It's the most remote, accessible location they could find. There is a 12' zone (sphere) around the binnacle where everything is non-magnetic material. There is 15' zone where anything moveable has to be non-magnetic. That's why you see a lot of brass around there.

As others have said, this is the master and it transmits to several locations throughout the ship.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pm 

Attachment:
Binacle.JPG
Binacle.JPG [ 319.88 KiB | Viewed 1950 times ]
Except for the "Navigators Balls"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:35 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:
As good a place as one could find given the huge steel objects populating a Battleship.

The master compass is located where magnetic influences of different parts of the ship most nearly cancel eachother out.

The two big port and starboard iron balls on either side of the binnacle are on adjustable mounts and their precise locations are adjusted to as close as possible cancel out the residual magnetic influence of the ship.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:05 pm 

I found an interesting blueprint today. It showed all the 20mm and 40mm guns on the Iowa class replaced by 3/50 mounts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:15 pm 

What was the date on that? Must have got lost in the "roundtuit" bin.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:29 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:

I was so busy sorting plans that I did not check. However, the paper looked like 1950's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:48 pm 

That makes sense as that was the period that the 3"50 twins were supposed to supplant the 40mm quads. Missouri, still in the reserve fleet in the early 70's still had her quads under the aluminum domes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 pm 

Fliger747 wrote:

1951. I have not unfolded yet but it looks like all the 40mm tubs would have had 3" guns. When I get it scanned, I can see if any got omitted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 pm 

I posted a message about the 'planned" (never never done) installation of 3-in RFG twin mounts on the IOWA class, earlier and I can't find it to reference. In 1951, the USN planned on replacing ALL quad 40-mm mounts with twin 3-in RFG mounts. But, because of the greater weight of the new mounts, it was "generally" done on a basis of two 3-in RFG mounts for every three 40-mm quad mounts. I don't know what the plan was in 1951 for the IOWA class, but in late-1950s Armament Summaries, the total "ultimate" number of twin 3-in RFG mounts was to be fourteen (although I think USS IOWA would have had only thirteen twin 3-in mounts). Interesting enough, the SOUTH DAKOTA class was to get ten twin 3-in RFG gun mounts.

USS IOWA and USS WISCONSIN were the only two members of the class to get close to having the twin 3-in RFG mounts installed. USS IOWA had the complete fire control upgrades for the twin 3-in RFG mounts installed and quad 40-mm mounts reduced to thirteen. USS WISCONSIN only had the quad 40-mm mount numbers reduced to the sixteen number (which corresponded to the fourteen number of twin 3-in RFG mounts plus the two quad 40-mm mounts replaced by GFCS directors like USS IOWA had.

By 1955 the USN had realized that the 3-in AA armament was entirely inadequate defense against jet aircraft, particularly with stand-off weapons.

So I would be interested in knowing what was planned in 1951 for the USS IOWA class.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
So I would be interested in knowing what was planned in 1951 for the USS IOWA class.

You'll have to sweat in anticipation for a a couple of weeks. The plans are at the blueprint shop and I am going on vacation before I can pick them up. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:34 pm 

At my age, I'll completely forget about it two weeks. :big_grin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4843 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 243  Next