The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187 ... 239  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:06 am 
Yes please Cliffy, some photos of those fuel fills would be great.

Larry, those are Fighting Lights and according to The Floating Drydock Plan Handbook on page 88, the colours were - Blue,Blue,White.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:12 pm 

Yeah, Cliff, I would love to see what they really look like. But watch out for that hurricane. Sounds like it might turn out to be a real beast

And Guest, whoever you are - Thanks a heap! I have the digital version of the BB63 Plan Book and it doesn't say anything about these. Page 88 shows the side wall details from Frame 112 to Frame 137. And here I thought the digital version was the same as the (obsolete) printed version.

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 am 

Is this what we are discussing in regard to refueling?
Attachment:
Refueling.jpg
Refueling.jpg [ 125.51 KiB | Viewed 1399 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 pm 

Does that drawing have any frame numbers associated with it? Aft, where the superstructure narrows there are several risers with the flanges facing inboard on the starboard side as shown.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 am 

Fliger747 wrote:
Does that drawing have any frame numbers associated with it? Aft, where the superstructure narrows there are several risers with the flanges facing inboard on the starboard side as shown.

FR101 and FR137 P/S.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:55 am 

apologies if this has been asked in the thread already..

with the Very Fire NJ, are there any bridges released to convert it into 1944 appearance with the round bridge. I do have several Tom's Modelworks round bridges but those are designed for the Tamiya Missouri kit. The Joy Yard Missouri looks like the bridge is made out of PE to enable Iowa and NJ to be built later on?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 am 

drdoom1337 wrote:

with the Very Fire NJ, are there any bridges released to convert it into 1944 appearance with the round bridge. I do have several Tom's Modelworks round bridges but those are designed for the Tamiya Missouri kit. The Joy Yard Missouri looks like the bridge is made out of PE to enable Iowa and NJ to be built later on?

I don't think so. It looks like they used photoetch just to make it thin. They'd have to change the deck above and below for the new jersey and the Iowa.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:41 am 

drdoom1337 wrote:

Contact Model Monkey he makes several different scale NJ bridges. He also may be able to make what your looking for if he doesn't have it. I've been very satisfied with his parts.

https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-350-uss-new-jersey-bb-62-round-bridge-1944

“Oh”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:00 pm 

Hi Friends,

I ran across this by accident and thought you might enjoy it. It kinda gives you a perspective on how big things on these big ships are! Take note - each barrel weighs 120 tons!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSgxpZD2qRw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:11 pm 

Hello all,

I would like to ask you for a help.
I am working on Tamiya New Jersey 1/350
Dont you have armor plating scheme for hull of Iowa class?
I found just some photos of parts of hull, but nothing complex.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 am 

The armor of the Iowa's was internal. Along the citadel there was a heavier external 60 lb plating, joined with riveted vertical buttstraps.

These would be the only external expression of the protection scheme.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:24 am 

Fliger747 wrote:
The armor of the Iowa's was internal. Along the citadel there was a heavier external 60 lb plating, joined with riveted vertical buttstraps.

These would be the only external expression of the protection scheme.

Thanks, but actually I mean this:
http://wp.nauticus.org/wp-content/uploa ... 0x1024.jpg
http://wp.nauticus.org/wp-content/uploa ... 0x1024.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:27 pm 

What you are looking for is the shell plate drawings.
They might not help you though as the show the metal as it starts out which is flat then bent into shape.

The best approach would be from photos.
Here is a good starting point to help with the reinforcement plates along the hull
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893&start=20

James

Last edited by James M on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:50 pm 

There is some PE available that simulates the butt straps that join these 60 Lb ( 3/4") plates in two rows above the waterline. For my scratch built BB63 I made my own, but you might check out Hank Strub's New Jersey, modified from the 1:200 kit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 am 

Thanks guys,

Actually it is not that hard to create them, but harder is to create correct shape and size. So I was hoping for some drawings of hull from site. But if is not existing..

@Fliger747: cant you give me a name/link/ect for this? I didnt foun that on net..

One more question :)
Can you suggest to me which chain in 1/350 is best? Because I am little bit disapointed that pontos didnt include it in set.. And I ordered one from ebuy that should be for 1/350 scale, but looks little small to me (maybe for some cruiser is ok). And it is just simple O chain without that middle part. So I am looking for somethink better. I found 3d printed with correct shape, but in wrong scale..

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:34 pm 

Hi:

Well I'm in China at the moment and on my way to Russia, I know somewhere way back in the bowls of the thread I posted some photos from Missouri of these Butt Straps. It's an issue that has been significantly discussed and dimensions might exist. Possibly in the 60 something range of pages here.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:37 pm 

The butt straps he is referring to are Eduards #53126 Detail set #10 for the USS Missouri, but in 1:200 scale. I don't know if they make a set for 1:350 scale or not. You could check Eduards site and see. As for size, the best I can do it to measure mine and have you reduce the size to your 1:350 scale.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:11 am 

A new Anatomy of the ship series book on the Iowa is due in Feb 2019. I don’t know how good this series in new format under Osprey is going to be. But older books in the series under Conway were often exhaustively detailed and some have plate expansion plans for the hull, showing how all the hull plates laid flat look like, giving indications such details as plate boundaries on the bottom and location of the sea chests under the hull bottom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:54 am 

Boro wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to ask you for a help.
I am working on Tamiya New Jersey 1/350
Dont you have armor plating scheme for hull of Iowa class?
I found just some photos of parts of hull, but nothing complex.

Thanks.

This is what the armor layout of on the Iowa's looks like. I took a shot from the stern because the front is tapered vertically.

The only parts that are visible are the tops of the barbettes and the conning tower.

The armor scheme of the Iowas is complicated because the Navy only counted plates 4" or greater as being armor. The Iowas liberally used STS plate of lesser thicknesses throughout the ship. For example, the turret supports are 1-1/2" and the barbette supports are 3" STS. Together, that's 4-1/2" Inches of armor plate that are not counted as armor. Much of the deck plating is actually armor. Some of the hull strakes are as well.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 12.44.50 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 12.44.50 PM.jpg [ 116.91 KiB | Viewed 1586 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:33 pm 

James M wrote:
Hull Plating Detail

Shell plating reversed:

Here is that reversal on the plans (my gray arrow). Sadly, they have to be grossly reduced to upload here. Hopefully, the various stashes of plans will be able to come together for public access some day before they are all lost. I may have found an organization willing to host mine.

Attachments:
Plating.jpg
Plating.jpg [ 216.18 KiB | Viewed 1495 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187 ... 239  Next