The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 239  Next
 Post subject: Measurement Help
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 am 

I would appreciate it if someone who had access to an Iowa-Class take a few measurements of the capstan & wildcats, hawsepipe (length and maximum height), and anchor chain. I am familiar with the sketch found at colosseumbuilders.com, but the measurements don't seem to add up. Additionally, a profile picture of the hawspipe would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Sergio Morariu

Attachments:
ThreeThings.png
ThreeThings.png [ 138.3 KiB | Viewed 2175 times ]
 Post subject: 1/200 Model
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:42 am 

Anyone with a 1/200 Iowa / Missouri mind taking a few measurements of the "cone" making the gun tub? I would need the total height, wall (straight part) height, and outside tub diameter.

Thank you,
Sergio Morariu

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 9.11.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 9.11.41 PM.png [ 51.37 KiB | Viewed 2184 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 1/200 Model
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:08 pm 

smorariu wrote:
Anyone with a 1/200 Iowa / Missouri mind taking a few measurements of the "cone" making the gun tub? I would need the total height, wall (straight part) height, and outside tub diameter.

Thank you,
Sergio Morariu

Hi Sergio,

I don't have access to the real ships, but I do have the 1:200 Trumpeter kit.

Your gun tub dimensions are as follows:

Attachment:
gun tub.jpg
gun tub.jpg [ 157.49 KiB | Viewed 2108 times ]

Anything else you need, let me know.

Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:18 pm 

Larry - thank you very much. I’m trying to learn 3D CAD and needed some help getting the geometry right.

Sergio

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 2.38.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 2.38.49 PM.png [ 72.91 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]
 Post subject: Information Wish List
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm 

I am looking for measured drawings for the following:

Nixie Bolsters
Armored Box Launchers
Life Raft Holders
Phalanx Guns
SATCOM Antenna
SQL-32 Antenna
Bow Roller Chock
16" Range Finder Hoods
MK 37 Director
MK 38 Director
AN/SPS-6 Antenna
AN/SPS-10 Antenna
New Jersey/Iowa Bow Bulwark
Funnel Caps
Boat Cranes

Last edited by bigjimslade on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Measurement Help
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 pm 

smorariu wrote:
I would appreciate it if someone who had access to an Iowa-Class take a few measurements of the capstan & wildcats, hawsepipe (length and maximum height), and anchor chain. I am familiar with the sketch found at colosseumbuilders.com, but the measurements don't seem to add up. Additionally, a profile picture of the hawspipe would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Sergio Morariu

I have copies of plans (of varying quality) but would need email address to send them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:29 am 

I am building a 1/96 scale USS Missouri.
Can anyone help with some measurements of the aircraft /boat crane? I have searched every place I can think of but I can't seem to find the dimensions I need.
I need the diameter of the crane frame and the diameter of the "A" support frame so I can use the correct size brass rod. Just the main frame for the crane, the cross braces I can make an educated guess.
Thanks in advance.
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:02 am 

I am intend to depict trumpeter’s 1/200 missouri with the crew cleaning the A turret barrels. So i want the bloomer off, and the three barrels each elevated to a slightly different angle. With the bloomers off, the details inside the gun embrasures will be visible.

I replaced trumpeter’s 16”/50 turrets with 3D printed replacements showing correct gun ambrasure armor thickness and open rangefinder ports, as well as other detailed corrections.

I need some drawings showing the shape of the armored mantlet inside the barrel. Can anyone point me to drawings or photos of the gun mantlet in the 16”/50 turret?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 am 

chuck wrote:
I am intend to depict trumpeter’s 1/200 missouri with the crew cleaning the A turret barrels. So i want the bloomer off, and the three barrels each elevated to a slightly different angle. With the bloomers off, the details inside the gun embrasures will be visible.

I replaced trumpeter’s 16”/50 turrets with 3D printed replacements showing correct gun ambrasure armor thickness and open rangefinder ports, as well as other detailed corrections.

I need some drawings showing the shape of the armored mantlet inside the barrel. Can anyone point me to drawings or photos of the gun mantlet in the 16”/50 turret?

Thanks

Those 3D printed turrets sound interesting....

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:46 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hi Chuck,

You can make out the angular shape under the tarps in the first photo. The OP drawing at bottom appears consistent with the photo.

Hope these help!

Attachments:
016121_zpskiq6mxrs.jpg
016121_zpskiq6mxrs.jpg [ 120.93 KiB | Viewed 1697 times ]
BB-61 016130m.small.jpg
BB-61 016130m.small.jpg [ 554.92 KiB | Viewed 1697 times ]
16in-50 Triple BB-61 class.jpg
16in-50 Triple BB-61 class.jpg [ 149.67 KiB | Viewed 1697 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 am 

chuck wrote:

I have copies of all things turret armor. Send me your email.

Meanwhile, I am still looking for measurements/drawing for:

Nixie Bolsters
Armored Box Launchers
Life Raft Holders
Phalanx Guns
SATCOM Antenna
SQL-32 Antenna
Bow Roller Chock
16" Range Finder Hoods
MK 37 Director
MK 38 Director
AN/SPS-6 Antenna
AN/SPS-10 Antenna
New Jersey/Iowa Bow Bulwark
Boat Bulwark
Funnel Caps
Boat Cranes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:13 pm 

Thanks for all the information concerning the mantlets.

I intend to depict the conning tower with all 4 armored doors open. So I lined the inside of the conning tower with styrene rectangular rods to give the conning tower walls the correct 17” thickness, drilled out the doors and gave the opening the correct shape and taper with needle nosed file, and made the doors out of more styrene.

So 2 other question,

1. Can anyone point me to photos of the inside of the fire control station level of the conning tower? That’s the topmost level of the armored conning tower, with the door opening onto 05 level open bridge. On the real USS Iowa in Los Angeles the door is currently welded shut so I can’t see inside. On my model it would be open and one could see into the opening when looking forward onto the bridge. So having a little visible detail inside would be good. Based on tourist photos posted on the internet I believe this part of the conning tower is currently open on the USS New Jersey and and USS Missouri, so if anyone took pictures of the inside and are willing to share I’d appreciate it.

2. photos of the inside of the flag conning station on level 03? On the USS Iowa this is open. However Iowa is configured as a squadron flagship, so the conning tower has peep holes at this level. The Missouri is configured as a fleet flagship and there are no peep holes on this level. So I suspect the interior would be quite different. I believe this door is currently open at least on the Missouri. If anyone visited the Missouri and has photos of the inside and are willing to share I’d appreciate it. This is less important than the inside of 05 level conning tower as the door opening here is at an angle and partially blocked by flag plot, so it is more difficult to look inside once the model is assembled.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 pm 

send me an email and I can send you pictures from inside the conning tower.

James

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 pm 

Regarding Life Raft Holders question by Big Jim Slade.

There is a quite frequently published photo of the rear deck of the New Jersey at the Puget Sound Navy Yard on 24th June 1945. I have accessed this photo on the Navsource site. This photo has good details of the Aircraft Crane and Catapults. Underneath the catapults are the frames for the Carley Floats. The floats have been removed - for servicing/replenishing supplies perhaps. The frames show up clearly how the float seats in grooves in the wooden mounts and I imagine the floats would then be tied down with rope.

David

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:40 pm 

David,

If I'm not mistaken, BigJimSlade is making a computer model of MISSOURI in her current configuration, not WWII. Perhaps he should have stated that in his request for drawings. The life raft enclosures of the modern MISSOURI (as are true in a 4 ships of the class) have NOTHING to do with the WWII era life rafts.

Some of the details he was looking for are available in The Floating Drydock's E-Book USS MISSOURI PLAN BOOK. That is THE go-to reference for anyone building an IOWA class model regardless of time frame.

Hope this helps,

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 am 

Hi all,

If you have been to the 3D print screws thread, you might have seen my design of the Iowa-class screw set in 1/350th scale that is available for 3D printing on Shapeways, and now I'm rescaling it to 1/200th scale. I would need to have the measurement (in centimeter) of the Trumpeter parts listed below:
- diameter of the plastic screw shaft
- diameter of the screw hub, or the strut bearing, as these have the same size anyway.
- depth of the shaft hole in the screw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aur

1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

Completed build:
1/350 AFV Club Japanese Submarine I-58

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 pm 

Aur wrote:

Quote:
If you have been to the 3D print screws thread, you might have seen my design of the Iowa-class screw set in 1/350th scale that is available for 3D printing on Shapeways, and now I'm rescaling it to 1/200th scale. I would need to have the measurement (in centimeter) of the Trumpeter parts listed below:
- diameter of the plastic screw shaft
- diameter of the screw hub, or the strut bearing, as these have the same size anyway.
- depth of the shaft hole in the screw.

I hope you're not planning on recreating Trumpeter's inaccurate IOWA class screws. Both their plastic (kit supplied) and additional metal versions are not correctly shaped or angled.

I can (perhaps post tomorrow a.m.) provide you with the diameters and depth that you ask for. FYI, the shafts (kit supplied) are not plastic, they are metal.

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm 

You can also click the blue 3D print screws thread text as it is inserted with the link.

As for the design, I intended to make it as a replacement for the Trumpeter Iowa and Missouri kits, as I am very well aware of the inaccuracy of the plastic screws, their knock-off white metal offering, and G Factor brass version. Pontos offers brass screws in their advanced set, and although they look very nice, they seem to be another copy of the Trumpeter parts. At least from what I could see in the available photos. Anyone who bought some, or all, of these may want to make a comparison shot of the 4 versions for this! :heh:

My design is based on data from the trial document EJ Foeth found, and it provides things like diameter and pitch figures. I had to rely entirely on photos for the blade outline and hub shape, but I would say the result is accurate enough.

@Hank, I really appreciate your help with the measurements, if you would be able to.

The 1/200 version would have thinner blades than 1/350 for detail plastics, and I will check how the thickness will work out for bronze/brass printing.

Regards,
Aur

Completed build:

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:38 am 

I just uploaded a test model for metal printing, and this is how it looks like after the blades were thickened.

(Shapeways render in polished brass.)

Sprues will be necessary to meet Shapeways' maximum part count requirement of 2.
The shaft holes will need to be resized according to the new measurements.

Completed build:

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 am 

Aur (DavidP),

My mistake - I should have gone to the link you provided. Those props look very nice, indeed!!!

OK, here are two of the three dimensions you requested:

Shaft (metal) diameter - 0.095" (2.43mm)
Base of Center Hub (of my metal replacement screws) - 0.19" (4.826mm)
The depth of the shaft hole in the center hub I can't measure as my shafts are already in place - BUT - I would make them No Less Than 1/8" deep as you should have room to drill out the hub at least that amount. Perhaps 3/16" might even be workable.

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 239  Next