The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231 ... 239  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:16 pm 

Tom,

Re: Treatment of Oerlikon and Bofors gun barrels.

It is known as "Parkerising," or "Parkerizing" if you are an American.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:01 pm 

Attachment:
Bofors Okinawa.jpg
Bofors Okinawa.jpg [ 208.22 KiB | Viewed 2832 times ]

Waiting, waiting, Okinawa. Quad 40 mm Bofors. As with every other water cooled Bofors I have seen, these are painted. As a collector of military rifles I an very familiar with parkerizing, the water cooled naval Bofors were not parkerized. Just like the 5"38's, if they needed re painting, they were re painted. These are a little interesting in the receivers are painted deck blue on top and may have a lighter grey or white on the bottom of the barrels.

Cheers: Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:22 pm 

Attachment:
Bofors Poseidon.jpg
Bofors Poseidon.jpg [ 310.76 KiB | Viewed 2829 times ]

Stern Bofors, USS Poseidon, transiting Rich Passage, 1945, photo courtesy of my father. These are painted as well. As was often the case the flash hiders are black to enhance the effectiveness at night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:38 pm 

To avoid some confusion, I am not even slightly interested in the black of the 20 mm Orlikons, my question about the colors only applies to the 40 MM Bofors, which being painted dark (Black?) without regards to the paint pattern of the shields.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:25 am 

Actually, because of the water-cooled jackets, the barrels aren't visible. :big_grin: In a random review of images, it looks like "normally" the "recoil spring" section was painted black and the cooling jacket section could be painted whatever camo scheme the ship was painted in, or not. I guess the ship's CO decided.

This view of USS IOWA "Dated" May 1943 when she was painted in Ms 22, shows the 40-mm guns painted black (or maybe 5-N?). However, during 1945 when she was once again painted in Ms 22, the 40-mm guns were painted 5-H with black springs.

As for USS IOWA in mid-1944 or in 1944 during her dazzle camo period; every 40-mm that are visible in the photos I have scanned in mid-1944 of USS IOWA with dazzle camo, appear to have BLACK painted guns ... cooling jackets and springs. One of the aerial B&W images I have of IOWA during 1944, as well as the view from her bow looking aft (80-G-256593 posted earlier), show her forward bow quad 40-mm mounts do appear to have "likely" 5-H painted cooling jackets. I don't have color or B&W images at close enough ranges to determine color of the aft mounts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:47 am 

OH ... An image I had forgotten about, that I spotted while looking for additional views of USS IOWA, which "may" explain "Very Light" painted areas onboard USS IOWA in May-June 1944.

This image (80-GK-6116) of USS IOWA, likely taken in early in Spring 1943 during her shakedown. The NHHC website has this image and the caption says;

USS IOWA (BB-61) Admiral Royal E. Ingersoll (center), CinC, Atlantic Fleet, with other officers at the ship's bow, during an inspection visit, circa Spring 1943. IOWA was then on her shakedown cruise. Officers to either side of INGERSOLL are: (left) Rear Admiral Olaf M. Hustvedt, and (right) Captain John L. McCrea (Iowa's C/O). Note: Deck being painted with "Deck Blue" camouflage paint, anchor chain, jack, and capstan.

Note no 20-mm guns at the bow. I love the variety of paints in use!!

With all the HIGH LEVEL Brass and obvious painting still going on, it is a wonder there are no "CAUTION WET PAINT" signs deployed to keep them off the wet paint. :big_grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:49 pm 

I think the lone whitehat present is to keep the brass safe from mishap! My dad has some photos of the newly minted Rear Admiral Danial V Gallery visiting his ship upon return to San Diego at the end of the war. At least he was the only Admiral in the visiting party.

Does the white chain link suggest she has some shots of chain out and is at anchor?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:56 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
OH ... An image I had forgotten about, that I spotted while looking for additional views of USS IOWA, which "may" explain "Very Light" painted areas onboard USS IOWA in May-June 1944.

This image (80-GK-6116) of USS IOWA, likely taken in early in Spring 1943 during her shakedown. The NHHC website has this image and the caption says;

USS IOWA (BB-61) Admiral Royal E. Ingersoll (center), CinC, Atlantic Fleet, with other officers at the ship's bow, during an inspection visit, circa Spring 1943. IOWA was then on her shakedown cruise. Officers to either side of INGERSOLL are: (left) Rear Admiral Olaf M. Hustvedt, and (right) Captain John L. McCrea (Iowa's C/O). Note: Deck being painted with "Deck Blue" camouflage paint, anchor chain, jack, and capstan.

Note no 20-mm guns at the bow. I love the variety of paints in use!!

With all the HIGH LEVEL Brass and obvious painting still going on, it is a wonder there are no "CAUTION WET PAINT" signs deployed to keep them off the wet paint. :big_grin:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9 ... 608-6.html

Maybe this is of some help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:02 pm 

Looks as if she has 80 fathoms of chain out for the Starboard Anchor.

Last edited by Fliger747 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:20 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:

An interesting feature of this photograph is that it shows the paravane chain loop. The paravane winch is different from that on New Jerseu.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:29 am 

A little New Jersey Trivia:

The bridge is not symmetric. The face extends farther to the starboard side than to the port side.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:29 am 

Hello!

I wish to ask about USS New Jersey.
How many RQ-2 Pioneer control radars did it had?
Iowa had two: one on the bridge structure forward just under the ECM level and one aft just forward and above of the 2nd funnel.
On New Jersey I seen photos that the place for a single radar was made on the same spot as on Iowa's 2nd such radar eg above the 2nd Funnel, but I've seen photos where it was actually installed between the aft Phalanxes in front of the 2nd Funnel at that deckhouse level.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:02 am 

TZoli wrote:
Hello!

Iowa had two: one on the bridge structure forward just under the ECM level and one aft just forward and above of the 2nd funnel.
On New Jersey I seen photos that the place for a single radar was made on the same spot as on Iowa's 2nd such radar eg above the 2nd Funnel, but I've seen photos where it was actually installed between the aft Phalanxes in front of the 2nd Funnel at that deckhouse level.

There was one on the mainmast and one on the aviation service center.

Both are visible here:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0162009.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:54 am 

bigjimslade wrote:
TZoli wrote:
Hello!

There was one on the mainmast and one on the aviation service center.

Both are visible here:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0162009.jpg

Sorry but I only see one, the dome above the 2nd funnel.
I'm talking about this spherical radar dome:
https://www.tamiya.com/english/products ... ouri/4.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:40 am 

Look below the barrel at the right on the 16-inch gun turret.

The kit shows the early ABL platform before it was extended and the RPV antenna that was only on the last cruise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:43 am 

Maybe it is common knowledge? But I had never noticed it before in photos or videos.

At some point in USS New Jersey's 1968/69 Vietnam Commission (or possibly her sea trials before re-commissioning?) her helipad was named 'New Jersey International'. Not sure of the exact date:

Attachment:
New Jersey International.jpg
New Jersey International.jpg [ 161.23 KiB | Viewed 3687 times ]

Also a white star was painted on the roof of No. 3 Main Gun Turret:

Attachment:
USS New Jersey Turret 3 Star.jpg
USS New Jersey Turret 3 Star.jpg [ 151.58 KiB | Viewed 3687 times ]

Stills taken from an unrelated video about battleship lifeboats from the USS New Jersey Museum's Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYAPVHXk_k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:13 pm 

Mr. Church,

Probably not "common" knowledge re. the attributes of USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) during her 1968-69 commission, i.e. her various paint scheme(s). The "NEW JERSEY INTERNATIONAL" was added during her WestPac Cruise as was the star on the overhead of Turret #3. Here is a photo of her prior to leaving for WestPac -
Attachment:
Resized-OH of BB62 prior to WestPac.jpg
Resized-OH of BB62 prior to WestPac.jpg [ 194.12 KiB | Viewed 3681 times ]

And here's a picture of my 1:200 scale USS NEW JERSEY model with the Helo Pad and Turret #3 properly adorned:
Attachment:
File comment: Photo by Bill Mitchell
Resized-IMG_0832.JPG
Resized-IMG_0832.JPG [ 196.23 KiB | Viewed 3681 times ]

I sincerely appreciate your mention of this particular aspect of our vessel - just another unique facet of the ship during this commission. :thumbs_up_1:

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:01 pm 

Note the swimming pool tubs fed on the O1 level!

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:36 pm 

BB62vet wrote:
Mr. Church,

Probably not "common" knowledge re. the attributes of USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) during her 1968-69 commission, i.e. her various paint scheme(s). The "NEW JERSEY INTERNATIONAL" was added during her WestPac Cruise as was the star on the overhead of Turret #3. Here is a photo of her prior to leaving for WestPac -
Attachment:
Resized-OH of BB62 prior to WestPac.jpg

And here's a picture of my 1:200 scale USS NEW JERSEY model with the Helo Pad and Turret #3 properly adorned:
Attachment:
Resized-IMG_0832.JPG

I sincerely appreciate your mention of this particular aspect of our vessel - just another unique facet of the ship during this commission. :thumbs_up_1:

Hank

Beautiful model. No problem regarding the mention.

Little details like that interest me. Aerial recognition markings painted on battleship main gun turrets is a subject in itself. There have been many examples in many different forms from stripes to national flags etc. Plus hull numbers in the case of US Battleships.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:57 am 

So, with regards to "New Jersey International" is it safe to assume that a 'foreign helicopter' landed on that flight-deck? Some other admiral from some other navy that was taking part?

Just curious as to the back-story on that one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231 ... 239  Next