The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 240  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:06 am 

Thanks Tony, I shot you an email before I read the board. The Helo refueling boxesa were a guest's question. I was at work and couldn't remember their exact name. I will have to look into that Stilwell book. I have his book on large book about Battleships, is that the one. It is normally in the bargain books section at Barnes and Nobles. What era is the 1/350th model supposed to represent if any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:42 am 

Quote:
Should I get the Trumepeter Iowa in 1/700? How is she?

..we discussed it many times on this thread..it`s a nice kit (wrong deck although), but it`s nothing against the tamiya one..built a trump new jersey and started a Wisconsin, but today I got the tamiya one and it`s impressive!
..but you get 2 trump ones for one tamiya..so it`s up to you..a few pages before i showed a built trump NJ....

regards thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:49 am 

great thx! :lol_3: ..no problem....i`m still fascinated of the tamiya kit..

:cool_1: ..as soon as i have the aftermarket parts i´ll start her

greetz thomas

Post subject: keep truckin'
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:14 pm 

Hi Guys,
Thomas,
Watch out for the three deck pieces when you, "butt", them together before glueing them. They will probably not be level with each other, and a, "step", will be the result. In order to defeat this minor annoyance, be prepared to sand away some material from the, "bridge base", (the center deck section), bottom till the aft and fore deck sections mate evenly, (in a vertical plane). On my 1/700 Missouri, I ruined the deck pieces trying to sand them and re-scribe aftre glueing without seeing the "step".
My only gripe about this kit.
Rory,
Tamiya's 1/350 New Jersey looks to be from the 1982-1984; the same as their 1/700 kit. Remember: the 02 level 5" twin mounts have no, "hood".
faithfully submitted, Tony Bunch

Post subject: decking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:04 am 

this is so far after a LOT of labour how my iowa looks at themoment.Replacement of the front end of the main guns , replacement of the entire deck levels , rebuilt of the main mast (not shown here) etc,.Warspite ,rebuilt of side buldges, replacement of deck.Baltimore replecement of deck level.Bismark, replecement of deck levels ,side walls of superstructure when possible replaced with the actuall foto-eched walls, etc etc.

http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /1iowa.jpg
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /2iowa.jpg
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /3iowa.jpg
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /4iowa.jpg
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /5iowa.jpg
arizona
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /1ariz.jpg
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /4ariz.jpg
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /5ariz.jpg
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... /7ariz.jpg
bismark
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... ismark.jpg
and oh my god..warspite
http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/kos ... rspite.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:37 am 

Has Anyone here been on the USS New Jersey tour? I might get a chance to visit the ship in June and was wondering what all the guided/self tours involved. I've tried contacting the organization through their website, but whenever I press the send button it tells me the page can't be displayed and there is no e-mail address on the site anywhere. So what all would I be able to see? does anyone have an e-mail address so I could contact them? Anyone want me to take pictures (specific areas for reference, etc) Take care my fellow Iowa class fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:00 pm 

ArizonaBB39 wrote:
Has Anyone here been on the USS New Jersey tour? I might get a chance to visit the ship in June and was wondering what all the guided/self tours involved. I've tried contacting the organization through their website, but whenever I press the send button it tells me the page can't be displayed and there is no e-mail address on the site anywhere. So what all would I be able to see? does anyone have an e-mail address so I could contact them? Anyone want me to take pictures (specific areas for reference, etc) Take care my fellow Iowa class fans.

Abe,

I've been down there a couple of times. This past June I took my wife and son. If the weather is nice June is a great time of year to see her.

There is a a self-guided tour or two Docent tours. The self-guided tour takes about 2 hours. You can see the bridge, inside number 2 turret (unless you don't like small spaces!), crew living areas, and the admiral's cabin, among other areas.

The area right around the Battleship is decent - I wouldn't have risked my wife and (at the time) 4 1/2 year old to go see her - but don't wander into Camden at all, unless you are a) packing heat and then b) quick on the draw.

You can catch a ferry and go across to Philly and see the Olympia when you are done touring the Big J. You can also see the funnels from the SS United States from the decks of the museum.

E-mail or PM me when you are going to go and I'll be happy to give you directions and any other info I can. BTW - according to the museum's curator, the museum has been having e-mail problems lately, that may be why your unable to connect. Try calling the BB at: 856-966-1652.

When you visit, check out the New York Ship Building Exhibit - An exhibit featuring artifacts, photos and information on the New York Ship Building Corp., which built military vessels in Camden. My USS Saratoga is part of that display

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:38 pm 

Hi Guys,
Here is a pic of Lee's 1/96 BB62. You can clearly see the helo pad as elevated.
Of course, in a smaller scale this would not be as noticeable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:24 am 

Inspired by the purchase of the book 'Iowa Class Battleships' by Robert F Sumrall from eBay (thanks lozza1981 :wave_1: ) I've decided on a long term project to build all 4 of the class to show various stages in their history as follows:

Missouri - September 1945 (Japanese surrender)
Iowa - Korea
New Jersey - Vietnam
Wisconsin - Gulf War

Now, for the Missouri and the Wisconsion, I'll be using the Tamiya 1/350th kits (New Jersey for the Wisconsin). Question is, for the given time frames, what would eb the best kits to use for the Iowa and the New Jersey - I'm thinking the Missouri for the Iowa and the New Jersey for itself but I'm guessing that I may need to mix parts from both kits (especially for the Iowa)

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

John

Post subject: well...here goes..
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:06 pm 

Hi Guys,
John,
For the Iowa, the Missouri and the New Jersey 1968, you will need the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri kit. For the Iowa Korean war and the New Jersey 1968, you will also need the foredeck piece from the Tamiya 1/350 New Jersey kit. Neither of these ships had the 3 x 20mm and splinter shields abeam turret 2 on the main deck...to mention one difference, but there are a few more. For the Wisconsin DS, obviously the New Jersey kit and some conversion efforts. I converted the 1/700 Tamiya modern New Jersey to the DS Missouri last year. It would be pretty much the same procedure in 1/350th scale, but the main deck of Wisconsin had more wood planking than did the BigJ. This means you will need to:
1)replace the stern deck, "third", with some sheet styrene that is grooved and add on the helo pad, (to mention one major change).
2)use the stern deck, "third" from the Missouri kit and fill in all of the holes and AAA gallery, "spaces". This may be more difficult.
3) scribe in the plank detail, (which would be the opposite of Tamiya's raised deck plank detail), and settle for the difference.
4)replace all of the main deck sections with grooved styrene...OR BALSA! This would be in the name of consistency, allowing a uniform wood planked main deck.
On all of these builds, I'd recommend the L'Arsenal foredeck set, but the later three ships can only use some of the resin foredeck piece itself. The L'Arsenal foredeck detail set contains MUCH, MUCH more than just a foredeck piece!
For more details, ask more finite questions...please.
Hope this helps, Tony Bunch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:13 pm 

Wouldn't the Vietnam NJ require the two 'Ear' pieces in the modern NJ kit, too?

Post subject: well.....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:26 pm 

Hi Guys,
Tim,
I have studied the forward fire control tower on BigJ.
Probably the easiest thing to do would be to have both the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri kit,(for the majority of the conversion), and the Modern new Jersey for anything else big or small.
The GMM p/e set for the Modern New Jersey includes 1968 New Jersey "stuff". The instructions do say that a WWII version of the BB would be the best starting place for this conversion.
If you go to the gallery, and go back a couple of years, you will find Dave Beckers 1968 New Jersey. If you study what you're looking at, you will then see mostly a WWII ship.
take care, Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:47 pm 

hey tony..thats a funny story!

here a fwe pics..but don`t look to close..remember its a fun and test build..i`m not even sure if i`ll finish it

http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/stu ... 210041.JPG

http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/stu ... 210039.JPG

http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/stu ... 210036.JPG

http://www.warshipmodels.com/~users/stu ... 210040.JPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:16 pm 

*Gasp* Panzerschiff wanna-be!! Hehe, great idea too :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject: very creative
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:05 am 

Hi Guys,
Thomas,
Looks believable! A while back, some people were talking about railguns and the discussion went...out into space!
I have always preferred, "what was", but your forward thinking has merit. By the way, you are not alone!
Timmy will chime in about now.....
Nice work Thomas!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:23 pm 

I have seen the ussmissouri.com drawings which give some good details on the layouts of the ship as she was shortly after WWII. I was just wondering if anyone has purchased the Alan B. Chesley plans for reference which I have have seen on Floatingdrydock.com and also some of which are featured in Stillwell's Battleship Missouri book? If so which ones? Which scale gives good details? Do they provide better details on ladders, portholes, vents and fixture locations than I have found in the Stillwell book or the Sumrall Iowa Class Battleship books? I have also bought the GMM Missouri Gold Plus extra details set and would like to add as much detail as I can and as accurately as I can. Anyone have any advice?

Also, regarding the Measure 22 colors, any opinions on which paint provides the closest match?

Seeling

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:16 pm 

As you might guess, I am interested in building BB-61 as BB-61, not as any of her sisters. I've skimmed-over all 22 pages of this forum but, unless I've missed something, did not find a thread with this specific build being discussed. So, here goes...

I just obtained a beautiful, rare Otaki kit of a full-hull USS Iowa, and I wish to "retro" build it, as of when the ship was commissioned or very soon afterward. I am aware there were detail differences between the ships i.e., the enclosing of New Jersey's open bridge (later squared-off), and so forth. My kit depicts Iowa in modern fit, with lattice mast and 16 5"-38s, as well as missile facilities and a helopad quarterdeck.

I am not in the mood for "porcupining" my model with extra ranks and files of bristling AA---hence, my desire to keep things fairly close to as-commissioned appearance. However, as my username implies, I am not exactly well-stocked with USN BB research material !

I need pics mainly, and I already have a Missouri planset, but am uncertain how much of Missouri is common with Iowa---especially as Iowa was the first ship of the class. I'm hoping to get some useful info on these details, using my single point of reference.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 am 

RNfanDan,

thats a big ask, the Iowa as commisioned had a "straight through" section that became the open bridge, which was then upgraded to the Missouri type square bridge so back dating this will take some work...

Also if its a modern version of the ship you have you will be missing several 5" mounts and all the assocaited radars, and come what may you are going to have add nearly all the 20MM and 40MM.

I also have various floating dry dock plans I used for my build of Iowa so contact me off board if you need some more info.

Regards,
Mark D.

Post subject: Stilwell
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:24 pm 

Hi Guys,
Seeling,
The Stilwell book has some great profile/overhead drawings of the Missouri from each of its, "eras". Additionally, there are some very useful close-up detail drawings of the forward fire control tower, and the WWII 6X40mm AAA midships, "internal", details that are completely missing on any of the Iowa Class kits that I have seen. This is one area to focus on and make your Iowa build stand apart. If you choose to build the modernized version, then you will have to modify the forward fire control tower to not-be-like the New Jersey, as NJ was alone in her fire control tower configuration.
There is more, but this is one area to focus on.
Decide which era and then go from there, I would suggest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:43 pm 

I would recommend Sumrall's Iowa Class Battleships, ISBN: 0-87021-298-2. It has plenty of photos (B+W & color), drawings and tables about the armament.

Also, plenty of discussion about the progress of the bridges from Iowa to Missouri and the subtle shape differences to the RF towers.

Several tables about the armament of each ship.

If you want to make an "uncluttered" ship, look at the "designer's model". No structure between the funnels for 6x 40mm quads; instead, there is boat storage there, and many fewer AA elsewhere.

-- "A Nation at Risk" (1983)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 240  Next