The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 am 

thepatriot76 wrote:
Hello all, first post but love this forum. I just ordered the Tamyia 1/350 (1991) Missouri and can't wait to start. There is a ton of information here so, thanks upfront for that. I will be experimenting with PE and the wood deck for the first time (Best place to get these?). I want to do as much detail as I can but not sure what PE to get and and how much I should tackle. I haven't built a model in over 30 years but just finished the Revell USS Constitution 1/194 and it came out great. so, I will continue going through this forum and searching but any advice and or tips would be greatly appreciated. Ie, which PE, wood deck, tools I may need etc.
Again, thanks in advance for the information I have found already in the forums. Looking forward to this build and those to come.
Thanks,

I second what Larry said. I also built the 1/350 Tamiya Missouri 1991 version (you can see a video of it if you click on the link to my YouTube Channel below my signature), and used the Pontos detail set. One thing I will stress heavily though is don’t rely on the self adhesive backing of the wooden decks. It is very poor and your decks will buckle and lift off the model. There is an explanation somewhere in the tips section of this forum about how to use acrylic gel adhesive instead to secure the decks, and I cannot emphasize enough to go that method instead. It will save you many headaches and cursing....

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:06 pm 

Larry, thank you for your time it took to give me some great info and tips. I think the Tamyia kit comes with one piece of PE, if I didn't work so much i'd know, they tried to deliver it Friday LOL (I'm now the kid in the dugout, pouring rain , still hoping to play the game) Guess I'll see Monday. I was planning on diving all in with PE. Been reading a lot about the wooden deck as well and from what I can tell, it's really about proper prep and careful gluing. THOMAS, thanks for the heads up and I'll be on my way to scroll through your videos. Larry, I'm a folder/Sub Folder guy too so thanks for that. I have a snip it tool for capturing screen shots so I'm sure that will come in handy. I have a pretty good light/magnifier(Heavy metal base) that I use as well, it was my dad's from the USS Hornet (CV-12), yup, Picked up Apollo 11. Anyway, thanks again for the insight and direction. I am going to continue to make my supply list and search out a couple local hobby places, shouldn't be hard in this area. I can't wait to dig in on Big Mo! I'm sure I'll be pretty overwhelmed when I open her up but I will definitely being taking my time and asking for any help or tips if I need. Thanks again for the welcome and I'll updated as I go..

Thomas, just realized your video was the first one I watched as I started me research :) Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 am 

Howdy Patriot, Not sure what your real name is, so this will have to do.

I was going to add something yesterday and I totally forgot. I'm not sure how deep your pockets are (or how much your wife will let you spend) but you would be well advised to go to "The Floating Drydock" (TFD) http://www.floatingdrydock.com/ and order a set of plans for the Missouri. In my opinion they are invaluable when it comes to adding detail on the ship.

I hope you enjoy your kit. It sounds like you're pretty much on your way to having a decent "studio". And one other thing: My deck hasn't been on very long - 3 months, maybe, but it's holding fine. I just cleaned the plastic good with alcohol to get all the grease and fingerprints off and then blew the dust & stuff off with compressed air just before putting it down. No problems so far.

Currently working on (and will be for years to come!)
1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:04 am 

steinerman wrote:
Howdy Patriot, Not sure what your real name is, so this will have to do.

I was going to add something yesterday and I totally forgot. I'm not sure how deep your pockets are (or how much your wife will let you spend) but you would be well advised to go to "The Floating Drydock" (TFD) http://www.floatingdrydock.com/ and order a set of plans for the Missouri. In my opinion they are invaluable when it comes to adding detail on the ship.

I hope you enjoy your kit. It sounds like you're pretty much on your way to having a decent "studio". And one other thing: My deck hasn't been on very long - 3 months, maybe, but it's holding fine. I just cleaned the plastic good with alcohol to get all the grease and fingerprints off and then blew the dust & stuff off with compressed air just before putting it down. No problems so far.

Larry, I wasn't thinking when I set up my profile, Gary Barter is the name, I've used "ThePatriot76" for years (Stationed overseas and it worked) I will be going by the post office to pick up Big Mo shortly but it will be back to work. I plan to go through the kit and then make my completed list. My wife is wonderful and (Maybe not all at once) if I feel "I need it" I can get it. I am researching air brush, tools, paint etc. BTW, the closets hobby store (Not being Michael's or Hobby Lobby) is Hobby Town all others are an hour or so drive but may be worth it at times. Only issue I have right now (He says having not opened the box yet) I can't commit to a time period. WWII , Surrender +the people(Blue Deck), post WWII/Korea (Teak I Think) ... I've seen both completed and they both look really nice. Anyway, thank you again...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:20 pm 

Gary,

While you're at TFD, I would highly suggest you also purchase a copy of the TFD EPlan Book - USS MISSOURI (BB-63) - while no longer available in print version, it is still worth the money spent and you could go to a local print shop (unless you have an 11x17 printer) and get the book printed out - and I highly recommend this, as well. While the younger generation believes in all this electronic b.s., I can still run circles around them doing actual production CAD drawings while they're sitting around panning back & forth on their monitor from drawing to reference trying to accomplish zilch in 8 hours.

This book contains 1/8" scale drawings and b/w photos of the ship as of 1945 from end to end. If you're building an IOWA class model, this could be your "Bible".

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late 1940 1:200
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
Finished:
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:03 pm 

Hank, thank you! I plan on working in sections and with my laptop not sure I'll need to print anyway. I probably have downloaded over 150 pics so far for reference as well. Man, I'm loving the history lesson from my research of "Mighty Mo"
Thanks,

Post subject: Measurement Help
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 am 

I would appreciate it if someone who had access to an Iowa-Class take a few measurements of the capstan & wildcats, hawsepipe (length and maximum height), and anchor chain. I am familiar with the sketch found at colosseumbuilders.com, but the measurements don't seem to add up. Additionally, a profile picture of the hawspipe would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Sergio Morariu

Attachments:
ThreeThings.png
ThreeThings.png [ 138.3 KiB | Viewed 968 times ]
 Post subject: 1/200 Model
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:42 am 

Anyone with a 1/200 Iowa / Missouri mind taking a few measurements of the "cone" making the gun tub? I would need the total height, wall (straight part) height, and outside tub diameter.

Thank you,
Sergio Morariu

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 9.11.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 9.11.41 PM.png [ 51.37 KiB | Viewed 977 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Measurement Help
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:48 am 

BB-62 – USS New Jersey http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bb62.pdf
BB-64 – USS Wisconsin http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bb64.pdf

Post subject: Re: 1/200 Model
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:08 pm 

smorariu wrote:
Anyone with a 1/200 Iowa / Missouri mind taking a few measurements of the "cone" making the gun tub? I would need the total height, wall (straight part) height, and outside tub diameter.

Thank you,
Sergio Morariu

Hi Sergio,

I don't have access to the real ships, but I do have the 1:200 Trumpeter kit.

Your gun tub dimensions are as follows:

Attachment:
gun tub.jpg
gun tub.jpg [ 157.49 KiB | Viewed 901 times ]

Anything else you need, let me know.

Currently working on (and will be for years to come!)
1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:18 pm 

Larry - thank you very much. I’m trying to learn 3D CAD and needed some help getting the geometry right.

Sergio

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 2.38.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 2.38.49 PM.png [ 72.91 KiB | Viewed 882 times ]
 Post subject: Information Wish List
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm 

I am looking for measured drawings for the following:

Nixie Bolsters
Armored Box Launchers
Life Raft Holders
Phalanx Guns
SATCOM Antenna
SQL-32 Antenna
Bow Roller Chock
16" Range Finder Hoods
MK 37 Director
MK 38 Director
AN/SPS-6 Antenna
AN/SPS-10 Antenna
New Jersey/Iowa Bow Bulwark
Funnel Caps
Boat Cranes

Last edited by bigjimslade on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Measurement Help
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 pm 

smorariu wrote:
I would appreciate it if someone who had access to an Iowa-Class take a few measurements of the capstan & wildcats, hawsepipe (length and maximum height), and anchor chain. I am familiar with the sketch found at colosseumbuilders.com, but the measurements don't seem to add up. Additionally, a profile picture of the hawspipe would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Sergio Morariu

I have copies of plans (of varying quality) but would need email address to send them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:29 am 

I am building a 1/96 scale USS Missouri.
Can anyone help with some measurements of the aircraft /boat crane? I have searched every place I can think of but I can't seem to find the dimensions I need.
I need the diameter of the crane frame and the diameter of the "A" support frame so I can use the correct size brass rod. Just the main frame for the crane, the cross braces I can make an educated guess.
Thanks in advance.
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:02 am 

I am intend to depict trumpeter’s 1/200 missouri with the crew cleaning the A turret barrels. So i want the bloomer off, and the three barrels each elevated to a slightly different angle. With the bloomers off, the details inside the gun embrasures will be visible.

I replaced trumpeter’s 16”/50 turrets with 3D printed replacements showing correct gun ambrasure armor thickness and open rangefinder ports, as well as other detailed corrections.

I need some drawings showing the shape of the armored mantlet inside the barrel. Can anyone point me to drawings or photos of the gun mantlet in the 16”/50 turret?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 am 

chuck wrote:
I am intend to depict trumpeter’s 1/200 missouri with the crew cleaning the A turret barrels. So i want the bloomer off, and the three barrels each elevated to a slightly different angle. With the bloomers off, the details inside the gun embrasures will be visible.

I replaced trumpeter’s 16”/50 turrets with 3D printed replacements showing correct gun ambrasure armor thickness and open rangefinder ports, as well as other detailed corrections.

I need some drawings showing the shape of the armored mantlet inside the barrel. Can anyone point me to drawings or photos of the gun mantlet in the 16”/50 turret?

Thanks

Those 3D printed turrets sound interesting....

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 pm 

chuck, pm sent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:46 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Hi Chuck,

You can make out the angular shape under the tarps in the first photo. The OP drawing at bottom appears consistent with the photo.

Hope these help!

Attachments:
016121_zpskiq6mxrs.jpg
016121_zpskiq6mxrs.jpg [ 120.93 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]
BB-61 016130m.small.jpg
BB-61 016130m.small.jpg [ 554.92 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]
16in-50 Triple BB-61 class.jpg
16in-50 Triple BB-61 class.jpg [ 149.67 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

-Steve Larsen

Catalogs of over 1900 designs for scale modelers:
3D-printed gray resin (best material!) - https://www.model-monkey.com/
3D-printed Shapeways' white acrylic - https://modelmonkey.wixsite.com/modelmonkey
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 am 

chuck wrote:

I have copies of all things turret armor. Send me your email.

Meanwhile, I am still looking for measurements/drawing for:

Nixie Bolsters
Armored Box Launchers
Life Raft Holders
Phalanx Guns
SATCOM Antenna
SQL-32 Antenna
Bow Roller Chock
16" Range Finder Hoods
MK 37 Director
MK 38 Director
AN/SPS-6 Antenna
AN/SPS-10 Antenna
New Jersey/Iowa Bow Bulwark
Boat Bulwark
Funnel Caps
Boat Cranes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:13 pm 

Thanks for all the information concerning the mantlets.

I intend to depict the conning tower with all 4 armored doors open. So I lined the inside of the conning tower with styrene rectangular rods to give the conning tower walls the correct 17” thickness, drilled out the doors and gave the opening the correct shape and taper with needle nosed file, and made the doors out of more styrene.

So 2 other question,

1. Can anyone point me to photos of the inside of the fire control station level of the conning tower? That’s the topmost level of the armored conning tower, with the door opening onto 05 level open bridge. On the real USS Iowa in Los Angeles the door is currently welded shut so I can’t see inside. On my model it would be open and one could see into the opening when looking forward onto the bridge. So having a little visible detail inside would be good. Based on tourist photos posted on the internet I believe this part of the conning tower is currently open on the USS New Jersey and and USS Missouri, so if anyone took pictures of the inside and are willing to share I’d appreciate it.

2. photos of the inside of the flag conning station on level 03? On the USS Iowa this is open. However Iowa is configured as a squadron flagship, so the conning tower has peep holes at this level. The Missouri is configured as a fleet flagship and there are no peep holes on this level. So I suspect the interior would be quite different. I believe this door is currently open at least on the Missouri. If anyone visited the Missouri and has photos of the inside and are willing to share I’d appreciate it. This is less important than the inside of 05 level conning tower as the door opening here is at an angle and partially blocked by flag plot, so it is more difficult to look inside once the model is assembled.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 190  Next