The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:40 am 

Hello all,
I'm not sure if this is already discussed or not, so...I have a question about the stem anchor hawse, which I believe the anchor was already removed at the time the Tirpitz arrived in Håkøya (right?). My brother accidentally broke the tip of the Tamiya bow, so I rebuilt it..still not done. Another Tamiya hull I have has a circular hole, and the Kagero Tirpitz by Stefan Draminski has it rectangular... I am aware of numerous errors of Tamiya, as well as a few of Kagero. So could anyone point out that (fairly easy) thing for me?

Also, do all the other 2 bow and 1 aft anchors there during her final months? Edit: found that already...on bismarck-class site.

Thanks in advance,
Aur

1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

Completed build:
1/350 AFV Club Japanese Submarine I-58

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:53 pm 

Hi all.
Does anyone know what colour Tirpitz main deck was in its last paint scheme. Ive looked around and have found two different opinions. First one shows remains of the "rock" camo from Kafjord late '43/ early '44. http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/paint_schemes/pictures/1944/13_tp_july_44_camo_M_above_big.gif

Cant find the other one, but it is a drawing with the deck painted all over dark grey.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:09 am 

robn1 wrote:
Hi all.
Does anyone know what colour Tirpitz main deck was in its last paint scheme. Ive looked around and have found two different opinions. First one shows remains of the "rock" camo from Kafjord late '43/ early '44. http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/paint_schemes/pictures/1944/13_tp_july_44_camo_M_above_big.gif

Cant find the other one, but it is a drawing with the deck painted all over dark grey.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi,
Those "rock" shapes are in fact oil patches from the british bombers during previous attacks. Edit: the spots were actually part of the camouflage, made in an attempt to simulate the peninsular she was anchored to (Kåfjord). As for the deck colour itself, experts here should be able to help you. Antonio noted in his gallery that it's painted the same dark grey as on the hull HERE. But in this photo...
Image...it looks like the same light grey on the superstructure, but teak decks can turn really grey, too, so it could be wood colour, I don't know. I'm sticking to teak for now...until someone would provide clear information..

Rob, seems like we're doing the same ship, date and kit! :woo_hoo: I'm really looking forward to seeing some pics on your thread. Watch out for kit errors, too!

Regards,
Aur

Completed build:

And our artworks!

Last edited by Aur on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:04 pm 

Cheers Aur.

Im figuring there are no commonly available photos of the forward deck with the tarp over the entry wound from the bomb that took a shortcut through it during Operation Paravane.
Also, the appearance of the exit wound a little below the starboard waterline would be purely guesswork, as I cant see it in any of the photos of the ship on its side in Tromsofjord. Though they are many photos, none appear to show it, and it is not mentioned anywhere as far as I know, whether it was plated over, or just sealed internally. A Tallboy would have done extensive damage to the hull plating when it exploded just a couple of metres away, and there was no chance of repairing it properly where they were.

Rob.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:26 am 

Very beautiful, Steve! Looking forward to more DKM projects!

Aur

Completed build:

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:32 am 

robn1 wrote:
Cheers Aur.

Im figuring there are no commonly available photos of the forward deck with the tarp over the entry wound from the bomb that took a shortcut through it during Operation Paravane.
Also, the appearance of the exit wound a little below the starboard waterline would be purely guesswork, as I cant see it in any of the photos of the ship on its side in Tromsofjord. Though they are many photos, none appear to show it, and it is not mentioned anywhere as far as I know, whether it was plated over, or just sealed internally. A Tallboy would have done extensive damage to the hull plating when it exploded just a couple of metres away, and there was no chance of repairing it properly where they were.

Rob.

Hi Rob,
Indeed there are very few photos of her during the last months. Do you know where it hit approximately and how much it affected the external appearance? As I recall the swastika area at the bow was covered with a canvas after the attack (as illustrated by light grey area in John Asmussen's drawings)..is this correct? And was it because of the bomb damage? I'll have to add these to my model as well.

Cheers,
Aur

Completed build:

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:04 pm 

Hi Aur,
On 15 September 1944, Tirpitz was attacked by 27 Lancasters of 9 and 617 squadrons in the first of 3 raids using Tallboy bombs while laying at Kaafjord (Operation Paravane). A total of 17 of these bombs were released (it didnt take long for the smoke screen to obscure the target, so some were aimed at the Kaafjord flak defenses). The British were not aware for several days, that a single bomb had passed through Tirpitz' bow section and out the starboard side just below the waterline. This and a couple of near misses caused massive damage externally and internally (The hole left in the forward deck was never repaired, just covered up). Casualties were relatively light though, 5 dead and 15 wounded. Also unknown to the British was the fact that this raid had ended Tirpitz' days as an operational unit, she was no longer a threat to shipping. Thus, the decision was made to tow Tirpitz to her final resting place off Hakoy Island to be used as a floating battery. Had the British known the extent of the damage to the ship, they probably wouldnt have bothered with the subsequent 2 attacks on 29 October and 12 November.

sorry, I waffled on a bit there.....

Damage to the hull is hard to see in photos of her hull. I have a photo on my computer of a part of the hull where the steel is rippled, but I cant figure out how to get the photo on here.

As far as the cover over the entry hole on the bow goes, i dont know of any pics.

Cheers,

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:02 am 

I have read some descriptions of how the damage appeared after Paravane. The most descriptive being one taken from German records of a gash estimated some 48ft long and 32ft deep (from British translation, hence imperial measurements) in the starboard bow. British Naval Intelligence just claimed "..one hit destroyed 100 feet of her bows...".

I guess it would be easier to just build a waterline model.....

Cheers,

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:49 am 

Wonderfull parts. Could You posted here some zoom photos of the surface of these elements?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:09 pm 

72 years ago at this very point in time, surviving crew members trapped inside the upturned Tirpitz were trying to make their way up to the bottom of the hull. Some would be already be banging on the steel above, hoping they would be heard from outside.....

The last great thorn in the side of British naval forces was finally removed and laid to rest...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:55 am 

@Rob, you are right, but it's NZ time zone, so the actual time is about now. I just finished this watercolour painting as a tribute for the ship and her crew members lost, and also some RAF pilots shot down earlier. May their souls rest in peace...
Many things are off and inaccurate. The stern is wayyy too long! The reference is quite blurry, but it was just a 3 hours work, so..... :big_grin:
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:05 am 

Duh, my bad....forgot time zones....

Fantastic painting. Your artistic skills are awe inspiring!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:14 pm 

Hi all,

Just want to post my watercolour painting of Tirpitz, still unfinished, as a tribute to her 72nd sinking anniversary today (Norway time).

Aur

Completed build:

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:11 am 

Astounding!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:15 pm 

Has this been discussed here before?

Link to YT

If so ... opinions?

How does it compare to the 700 Revell?

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:50 pm 

The Italeri/WoW kit is a repop of the Dragon, without the latest new-tooled extras that are in their Premium edition.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:52 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
The Italeri/WoW kit is a repop of the Dragon, without the latest new-tooled extras that are in their Premium edition.

Ok, thanks! I was asking because I bought one today (on eBay, now waiting for delivery), thinking it came from a new tooling...

So, the Dragon non-premium is THIS ONE?

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:59 pm 

Kind of. The Italeri/WoW version has the mid-2000s update with normal plastic parts in place of the original vinyl (that you see in the review you posted), but lacks the latest detail parts (AA guns, boats) that are borrowed from Dragon's new KM destroyer kits. The Italeri/WoW variant would also lack the PE fret.

You can see all the parts on Italeri's website: http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idPro ... ategoria=0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 pm 

Gents,

I am new to the 1/350 ship world, and just starting to do some research before I sink a grand into buying everything I'd like for my first couple or three builds. I LOVE weird paint schemes, and the scheme on the Tirpitz when she was painted to blend into the fjord is calling my name. Now, from what I have read, the Revell kit is the way to go (or was I misinformed?). The problem is, you can't find that thing! So I am wondering:

If you have the fittings, can you get to the Tirpitz from the Bismark, or were there major structural differences?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:26 pm 

There is a Tirpitz available on Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 61  Next