The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:42 pm 

Fiideli wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm a beginning modeller starting a new hobby. I started with a rather ambitious project as my first model, Revell's 1/350 Bismarck with Pontos photo etch parts. My plan is to build the model at pretty slow pace, studying different modeling techniques and history of the ship as I progress. I'm still at the very beginning of the project, removing the lines from the bottom of the hull and filling the seams.

My next step will be adding photo etch parts to the hull and about that I'd have some questions. What are the details that look like grating just above the little "wings" on the sides of the hull(under the waterline)? I've been doing some research about the ship by reading various books and kbismarck.com, but I haven't been able to find information about those details. Also, should I drill those original plastic details off or glue the photo etch details on top of them?

If you watch the beginning of the James Cameron Bismarck documentary (it's on Youtube) there is a quick cut from historic launch footage (I think of the Tirpitz but I could be wrong) that fairly clearly shows virtually all those intakes on 1 side... it's the only real-life photographic view of them that I've ever found. Anyway, intakes/seachests are necessary for the functioning of the ship and are usually placed on the very bottom in most warship designs but were located on the sides of the Bismarck/Tirpitz to counteract the effects of Germany's shallow and muddy Kiel canal and harbors.

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:21 pm 

Channell wrote:
Fiideli wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm a beginning modeller starting a new hobby. I started with a rather ambitious project as my first model, Revell's 1/350 Bismarck with Pontos photo etch parts. My plan is to build the model at pretty slow pace, studying different modeling techniques and history of the ship as I progress. I'm still at the very beginning of the project, removing the lines from the bottom of the hull and filling the seams.

My next step will be adding photo etch parts to the hull and about that I'd have some questions. What are the details that look like grating just above the little "wings" on the sides of the hull(under the waterline)? I've been doing some research about the ship by reading various books and kbismarck.com, but I haven't been able to find information about those details. Also, should I drill those original plastic details off or glue the photo etch details on top of them?

If you watch the beginning of the James Cameron Bismarck documentary (it's on Youtube) there is a quick cut from historic launch footage (I think of the Tirpitz but I could be wrong) that fairly clearly shows virtually all those intakes on 1 side... it's the only real-life photographic view of them that I've ever found. Anyway, intakes/seachests are necessary for the functioning of the ship and are usually placed on the very bottom in most warship designs but were located on the sides of the Bismarck/Tirpitz to counteract the effects of Germany's shallow and muddy Kiel canal and harbors.

Thanks, I will watch it :) I guess I have a lot of learning to do, because I didn't have any idea what those intakes even were.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:06 pm 

Do you guys have any recommendations about books/websites with information about life/routines on Kriegsmarine warships, or on warships in general? I'd be interested in information about things such as; were portholes of the ship closed at all times on battle missions, were scout planes taken out of hangars at any times except when they were actually launched (for example for drills), were sailors allowed to loiter on the decks on their free time (for example playing some sports games), etc.

I'm interested in these kinds of things because I want to build an interesting looking model with crew on their activities, but I still want to retain historical accuracy to some degree. Thanks in advance for any answers :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:49 am 

Hey guys. I have been away from the hobby for a few months after jumping into the deep end of fatherhood. Having recently started back into the research phase of my upcoming Bismarck build I have found it very difficult to find plans of the ships hull. Not the lines but the outline of the docking keel and the location of his sea chests. I have seen this one print being used on a couple of builds but no one is divulging it's source. I would prefer to have exact locations instead of guesstimates. You may have guessed it but I am one of "those guys" that will spend about as much time on the hull as I do the topside.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:37 pm 

Greetings all. I have the classic 1/350 Tamiya Bismarck circa 1978 (kit #78001). Knowing that Eduard makes a nice, albeit minimal, PE set for this kit (#53002), they also inexplicably produce a much larger and detailed set for the Tamiya Tirpitz (#53004).

Since the Tam Bismarck and Tirpitz are essentially the same kit would it make more sense to purchase the Eduard Tirpitz set and retrofit it for the Bismarck, essentially using only the parts that apply to the Bismarck and disregarding the rest?

I have Eduard's Bismarck fret already but couldn't help but notice the discrepancy between the two PE frets. I enjoy the lower cost of the Eduard sets and wish to maintain my loyalty so to speak...

~Harq

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:59 pm 

Hello everyone! As you can see, I am fairly new to this site. I am not a new modeler, just new to ship modeling. To be honest, I've lurked on this site for a long time. I wanted to thank all of the members who have contributed information in this thread. I have used the information here to help me get off to a great start on my Revell 1/350 Bismarck. A special thank you to Olaf Held as I have used his paint information.

About my Bismarck. I'm a little leary of sharing my plans for it. Model building is my hobby and I enjoy it. I have recently completed a commissioned build of Mario Andretti's World Championship Lotus F1. It is a very accurate, contest winning model. It was also a joy killing kind of build. I sweated every detail. With the Bismarck being my first ship build, I want to do a clean build with the addition of Pontos and Lion Roar PE sets. I want it to be visually pleasing. I am, however, not terribly worried about making it 100% historically accurate. I can live with 95% accurate. I am thinking about sharing the W.I.P. in that section of this board.

Once again, thanks to all of you who have contributed to this board and this section. I hope that someday I can return the favor. I'm sure I will be posting questions as I get deeper into my build.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:24 pm 

I have my first question regarding my Revell Bismarck kit. The question I would like to ask has to do with the placement of the GHG holes on the hull. I am not sure how far down from the deck to place the Pontos drilling template. Would the holes be completely on the side of the hull or would they be partially on the bottom? I have looked on-line but cannot find a definitive answer.

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:31 am 

Hi John,

Check out my building posts here or send me a PN.

Bye.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:18 pm 

John Brolin wrote:
I have my first question regarding my Revell Bismarck kit. The question I would like to ask has to do with the placement of the GHG holes on the hull. I am not sure how far down from the deck to place the Pontos drilling template. Would the holes be completely on the side of the hull or would they be partially on the bottom? I have looked on-line but cannot find a definitive answer.

Thanks for any help.

"GHG holes?"

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:51 pm 

109 wrote:
Hi John,

Check out my building posts here or send me a PN.

Bye.

Thank you, 109. I had looked over your gorgeous build before. I went back and took another look. I found two pictures that answered my question. I hope I can do a fraction of the job you are doing. Amazing build!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:59 pm 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
John Brolin wrote:

Thanks for any help.

"GHG holes?"

Hi Thomas. I was just asking where to place the Pontos drilling template. I wanted to make sure I drilled the holes in the proper location. I am not sure if I will leave them as holes or put some type of rod in the hole. Looking at 109's build, I see that the GHG components would fill in the hole. I have no idea what color these components should be. Any suggestions or info would be great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:38 am 

Up to now I will make them a steel color.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:24 pm 

Absolutely brilliant photographs and model. Back into modelling after a long absence (1966). Seeing how the very experienced guys do the job makes me feel very inferior. Love to know what was used for the blast bags and how they were fixed to the structures.

Planned and to hand: Tamiya Battleships:

King George V
Prince of Wales
yamato
Missouri 1991

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:17 pm 

Hi Bismarck-experts...
maybe somebody could help me here?
I am building the 1/200 trumpeter bismarck right now... painting the camo-scheme with black/white stripes around the superstructure.... Now I am wondering if the paravanes and the covers of the vents or portholes are also painted in white/black from the insides... or are these still grey?
I haven't found any info so far ... :(
Thank you so much in advance!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:48 am 

portholes white/black

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:56 am 

John Brolin wrote:
Hello everyone! As you can see, I am fairly new to this site. I am not a new modeler, just new to ship modeling. To be honest, I've lurked on this site for a long time. I wanted to thank all of the members who have contributed information in this thread. I have used the information here to help me get off to a great start on my Revell 1/350 Bismarck. A special thank you to Olaf Held as I have used his paint information.

About my Bismarck. I'm a little leary of sharing my plans for it. Model building is my hobby and I enjoy it. I have recently completed a commissioned build of Mario Andretti's World Championship Lotus F1. It is a very accurate, contest winning model. It was also a joy killing kind of build. I sweated every detail. With the Bismarck being my first ship build, I want to do a clean build with the addition of Pontos and Lion Roar PE sets. I want it to be visually pleasing. I am, however, not terribly worried about making it 100% historically accurate. I can live with 95% accurate. I am thinking about sharing the W.I.P. in that section of this board.

Once again, thanks to all of you who have contributed to this board and this section. I hope that someday I can return the favor. I'm sure I will be posting questions as I get deeper into my build.

Hello, John, and welcome to our board. Pull up a chair and join in. I just want to make the observation that, especially for your first ship build, if you are shooting for as close to 100% historical accuracy as possible, you may be in for another "joy killing kind of build" as you so well put it. You have started with a great kit, though I don't think I would have personally suggested that even for an experienced modeler their first ship be a battleship, but it sounds like you are up to the task, especially if you are doing commission builds. As to accuracy, so many of these ships changed so much during their service lifetimes from refit to refit, armaments changed, etc., my personal approach is to try to get more of a representation of the ship at a general point in her service life, rather than shoot for complete accuracy. I maintain that the main thing, if it isn't a commission build, is to have fun. After all, this is a hobby.

Bob Melvin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:43 pm 

Hello,

I have the following questions on Bismarck, also some questions may apply to Tirpitz aswell:

1) On the aircraft launch catapult there is an structure that support the center cylinder, what is the size of it and the shape/angle?

2) There is an official list of every change made during its career with day/month/year entries? Like when the single 20mm was updated with quad 20mm? (also for Tirpitz)

3) There are pics of the inside of main hangar?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:08 am 

I've posted this on a topic on the main forum, but thought it worth repeating on here, in case people haven't come across this archive before.

Das Bundesarchiv has literally dozens of very detailed close up (and many more distant) photos on board and inside the Bismarck, which could really help for super detailing our models, particularly those at 1:200. They are also really fascinating for anyone with any interest in these ships.

To view them, Click on this link https://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/

Search in search box with 'Schlachtschiff'
This returns 741 images, in date order, so go to the end for the later ships using >>, and work back through the pages and images using <, to see loads of great on-board and inside close ups. To make it easier, hovering the cursor over each thumbnail gives an instant pop up image to help see them without having to open each one, but each images of interest can be opened and is provided with information (in Deutsch, naturlich). I'm sure you will agree it's a fantastic archive of the Bismarck, also many of Scharnhorst and others.

Post subject: Jackstaff
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:58 pm 

I notice on the Tamiya Tirpitz and the Bismarck there is a slot at the bow for what I assume is the jackstaff. That said, neither kit has such a part included. Is there a reason for this?

Planned and to hand: Tamiya Battleships:

King George V
Prince of Wales
yamato
Missouri 1991

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:54 pm 

My TAM Bismarck and Tirpitz are tucked away on the attic, so I try my luck right from my sometimes failing memory: I think the slot could be the hawser for the shaft/cable of/for the stem anchor?

Happy guessing ~ Olaf!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 61  Next