The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:32 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
There is a Tirpitz available on Amazon right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new

Thanks. I must have done something wrong when I looked earlier because I did not get this return.

Cheers :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:38 pm 

Hello everybody,

having released few books about Tirpitz and being in process to do it in the close future for the Bismarck too, ... as you can see :

http://bismarck-tirpitz.com/

I like to offer here in my direct support for any modeler that would like to build a Bismarck or a Tirpitz model, ... being a modeler myself, ... from 1/700 until 1/100 ... :smallsmile:

Bye Antonio :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:58 am 

I just started a 1/700 Trumpeter Bismarck and I was checking out the decals and I was curious about why they only have the decals for dark grey slash markings and not the black and white like you normally see. Is this some paint scheme that I haven't seen yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:26 pm 

The dark grey is to simulate the black and white being painted over (but failing to cover the black completely) just before/during Operation Rheinubung (the final mission/Battle of Denmark Strait).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:43 pm 

Hello everybody,

@ Brian Miller,

while under the Luftwaffe air coverage range, the Bismarck was having the swastika banner in red with a White circle and the black swastika inside, ... plus the top of the main ( flat Surface ) and seconday turrets in YELLOW during Op. Rheinubung.

While out of that air coverage range the air recognitiom scheme was removed, painting over with gray the swastika banners and the top of the turrets.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:26 pm 

Antonio, when they painted over the yellow on the turret tops with grey, which grey was used? The darker grey like on the bow/stern panels, or light grey as with the rest of the turret sides?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:16 am 

Hello everybody,

@ Timmy C,

the Kriegsmarine used 2 different dark grey colors :

1) The RAL 7024 Graphite Grey ( used on Bismarck Baltic scheme for stern and bow )

2) The RAL 7016 Antrachite Grey ( used from the steel floor anti-slippery walkable surfaces not covered with TEAK wood ).

By logic the dark grey used to paint over the flat surfaces should have been the RAL 7016 Antrachite Grey.

Unfortunately we cannot have a reliable confirmation from photos, since RAL 7024 and RAL 7016 are very close on B/W photos.

Attachments:
KM_Greys.jpg
KM_Greys.jpg [ 104 KiB | Viewed 6474 times ]
 Post subject: Tamiya 1/350 Bismark
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:01 pm 

Hi all i was bought this and the Tamiya KGV for my birthday, on opening the box i wondered if the Bismark must be a rerelease of an older kit as there is a battery box moulded in the bottom of the hull and 2 propshafts with propellers but no mention of any of this in the instructions.
I imagine this was like the Airfix 1/12 Bentley 4.5 supercharged which was originally sold to be motorised but they have removed it on the new release but you can still see the remnants of it in the kit.
Incidentally the props looks really good quality.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am 

kpnuts,

The moulded battery box is present in every Tamiya Bismarck and Tirpitz kits, but those shafts and plastic propellers are not part of the kit. Maybe they were included by the person who bought you the kits? The screws look good indeed, but for a static model they might not be very accurate and to-scale. But the Tamiya parts aren't accurate either.

Aur

1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

Completed build:
1/350 AFV Club Japanese Submarine I-58

And our artworks!

Post subject: Re: Tamiya 1/350 Bismark
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:53 am 

kpnuts wrote:
Hi all i was bought this and the Tamiya KGV for my birthday, on opening the box i wondered if the Bismark must be a rerelease of an older kit as there is a battery box moulded in the bottom of the hull and 2 propshafts with propellers but no mention of any of this in the instructions.
I imagine this was like the Airfix 1/12 Bentley 4.5 supercharged which was originally sold to be motorised but they have removed it on the new release but you can still see the remnants of it in the kit.
Incidentally the props looks really good quality.

They likely rehashed the old mold without making modifications (they may have thought the modifications or a new mold would cost more than the extra plastic the old one would require for the extra stuff inside) still - you might could still mod it out to a motorized version, if you want to. You could probably find the needed parts a the local RC store (I have Hobby Town USA near me).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 pm 
Hi,
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.
I served with 38 Field Squadron Royal Engineers in Berlin in 1972.
The Squadron had a boat for recreational trips on the Tegelsee ( the East-West boundary went right through the middle and
we were often "buzzed" by East German patrol boats) ; I was told that this was an Admiral's Barge off the Tirpitz.
Can anyone verify that? If so, what happened to it when the British Army pulled out of Berlin, post re-unification?
Thanks in advance,
Alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 pm 

The search function hasn't been as helpful as usual, and I couldn't find a review at the appropriate section, so I'll ask my question here:

Is the Matchbox 1/700 Bismarck the original kit on which the Revell 1/700 Bismarck is based?

I'm making the assumption because Revell re-boxed the Matchbox 1/700 Duke of York, as many here know.

Just asking because I discovered a vintage 1/700 Matchbox Bismarck kit in an old storage pile and was wondering if the Revell-targetted aftermarket stuff can fit the Matchbox kit.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Haijun watcher on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
The search function hasn't been as helpful as usual, and I couldn't find a review at the appropriate section, so I'll ask my question here:

Is the Matchbox 1/700 Bismarck the original kit on which the Revell 1/700 Bismarck is based?

I'm making the assumption because Revell re-boxed the Matchbox 1/700 Duke of York, as many here know.

Just asking because I discovered a vintage 1/700 Matchbox Bismarck kit in an old storage pile and was wondering of the Revell-targetted aftermarket stuff can fit the Matchbox kit.

The current Revell Bismarck is a new tool and not a reboxing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:32 am 

Greetings all :wave_1:

I am creating a 3D model of the Tirpitz foretop gallery in 1/350 for printing at Shapeways as a replacement part for my Tamiya Tirpitz build. As some might know, the kit part has the shape of neither Bismarck nor Tirpitz (!) :heh:

The deck of the platform was planked, and I'm wondering what the width of the planks was. I know that Royal Navy had 8" planks on their battleships, but is it the same case for Deutsch's Kriegsmarine as well? If so, would the main deck plank dimension be applicable to the upper platform decks?

Lastly, if anyone knows of ANY photo of Tirpitz that includes the foretop platform, please post them here. I've seen very, very few of them.

TIA,
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:59 am 

The foretop deck wasn't planked, but covered with 5 cm pine wood lath gratings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:28 am 

ninjrk wrote:
Haijun watcher wrote:

Just asking because I discovered a vintage 1/700 Matchbox Bismarck kit in an old storage pile and was wondering of the Revell-targetted aftermarket stuff can fit the Matchbox kit.

The current Revell Bismarck is a new tool and not a reboxing.

Further to that: the new Revell 1/700 Bismarck and Tirpitz kits were not only based on new tools, they also closely followed the preceding 1/350 kits of these ships, creating IMHO the best choice of building 1/700 models of these two warships.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 am 

Aop Aur wrote:
Greetings all :wave_1:

I am creating a 3D model of the Tirpitz foretop gallery in 1/350 for printing at Shapeways as a replacement part for my Tamiya Tirpitz build. As some might know, the kit part has the shape of neither Bismarck nor Tirpitz (!) :heh:

The deck of the platform was planked, and I'm wondering what the width of the planks was. I know that Royal Navy had 8" planks on their battleships, but is it the same case for Deutsch's Kriegsmarine as well? If so, would the main deck plank dimension be applicable to the upper platform decks?

Lastly, if anyone knows of ANY photo of Tirpitz that includes the foretop platform, please post them here. I've seen very, very few of them.

TIA,
Aop

Hi Aop, what does the foretop in the 1/350 kit of the Tirpitz from Revell look like? (I KNOW you have it on your shelf...) It must be pretty accurate I think. If grating instead of planking, I second Herr Nilsson.

Generally, planking width of the higer decks neither had the width nor the thickness of what was used on the main decks, so I would say, max plank width being 4 inches or something in the order of 0.3mm on scale.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:33 am 

Herr Nilsson wrote:
The foretop deck wasn't planked, but covered with 5 cm pine wood lath gratings.

Thanks for the information, Herr Nilsson. I just took another look at the illustrations of Tirpitz' colour schemes (1941-1944) on http://www.bismarck-class.dk .
I noticed (on the schemes K and L) that the deck on the foretop was wooden grated from March 1941 (beginning of career) - March 1944...

....and replaced by diamond grate steel in March 1944:

Note also the plexiglass pergola up front, perhaps added at the same time.

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Hi Aop, what does the foretop in the 1/350 kit of the Tirpitz from Revell look like? (I KNOW you have it on your shelf...) It must be pretty accurate I think. If grating instead of planking, I second Herr Nilsson.

Generally, planking width of the higer decks neither had the width nor the thickness of what was used on the main decks, so I would say, max plank width being 4 inches or something in the order of 0.3mm on scale.

Thanks for your comment, Maarten! Of course, the Revell kit is sitting in a cupboard as a proud member of the stash. The foretop part is MUCH better! As you can see, the Tamiya part does not resemble any of the two sisters.

Bismarck's (taken from Hans Gally's plans):

Tirpitz's (taken from Mirosław Skwiot's drawings):

Here is a comparison shot of Revell (left) and Tamiya (right) parts:

They differ from each other not only the shape, but the width as well. I'll measure the drawing and check if Revell got it right...

I will make two versions of my 3D design, one planked and the other as in March 1944 (with grating and pergola), of which I would be using for our Nov 1944 Tamiya build. I will try to post some screenshots of the design soon. :smallsmile:

Regards,
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

Last edited by Aop Aur on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:19 am 

I would just save my money from buying either Dragon, Trumpeter, or Revell Bismarck, and build something else in the maintime. Flyhawk's announced release of a 1/700 Bismarck sometime later this year :woo_hoo: is bound to render all other 1/700 model Bismarck's obsolete.
PS - I've seen the Revell Bismarck sprues, and as I'm presently working on the Dragon kit, I'm pretty sure Dragon's is better than Revell's.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 pm 
hello everybody new to this forum and i return to the modelling hobby after decades. One of the modela i am building is the 1/700 tirpitz by trumpeter, cammo scheme march 1944. I am at the painting phase and finishing some PE details (white ensign models PE set) and i have a few questions.

1. Can someone tell me about the forward mast of the ship?

I keep finding conflicting info. At the book shipcraft 10 the schematics show the lower beam removed and after a lot of research at the top beam there is a Fumo 30 antenna, also the PE instructions say to remove the lower beam BUT at the images i am using for painting reference i see the lower beam (top view https://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/p ... ve_big.gif but it is not visible at any profile pic). I also found aftermarket masts for reference and they have the lower large beam (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/ ... 1485291212). Can anyone tell me which mast is the correct, a) with a Fumo 30 antenna and the lower beam removed, b) with a fumo 30 antenna along with the lower beam

2. I have placed a wooden aftermarket deck at the ship since the mold of the model was bad. after i finsih with painting and remove the mask is it okay to spray a clear coat? (humbrol clear coat), after the clear coat would you advise using a wash at the wooden deck?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 61  Next