The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:02 pm 

Flyhawk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:42 pm 

Stein Gildberg wrote:
Agreed! It was painted over. What this photo show is that there is a dull contrast between the hull color and the bow. Just as there is a contrast between the hull color and the over-painted b/w stripes.
So, it could be an idea to take this into account if you are modelling Bismarck at sea after the visit in Norway. :wave_1:

Yes I have a model that I started painting in the camouflage scheme and pained over it and you get that contrast discrepancy seen in the photos. I actually like it. It works for me and appears to be accurate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:37 am 

what change were made to the tirpitz during the construction (someone in shipbucket recommanded me to ask in this forum): http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 60#p190560 here's what I got from shipbucket and if my english isn't perfect it's because I'm french.

I want to do a "what tirpitz would look like if no modification were made to it during the construction or because of bismarck trial",so basicly a "how it was suppose to be build at first after the launch" from a bismarck 1/350 from revell,the scheme will be a original baltic scheme.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:13 pm 

thebunkerparodie,

What you are asking might be impossible to answer. I am not aware of anyone who knows exactly what differences between Bismarck and Tirpitz were designed into Tirpitz from the beginning, versus what differences were made during construction unrelated to Bismarck's trials, versus what differences were made as a result of Bismarck's trials. My understanding is that numerous differences were just a result of being built in different shipyards, where the shipyard building Tirpitz chose to build some features differently than the way the shipyard building Bismarck built them.

Having said that, there are a few changes that I am aware of. Bismarck and Tirpitz had slightly different bows, because neither was completed with the originally designed bow, and Bismarck was farther along in construction to fully incorporate the change made in Tirpitz (Bismarck was launched with the original bow, Tirpitz was launched with the modified bow).

Additionally, trials showed that Bismarck suffered from spray as far back as her superstructure, so as a result the Bismarck was modified, deleting the rangefinder hoods from turret Anton, modifying the vents in front of turret Bruno and modifying some of the vents in the superstructure. In Tirpitz, the rangefinder hoods were removed from turret Anton before Tirpitz was commissioned, and Tirpitz was commissioned without the vents in front of turret Bruno, plus she had other vent changes made to Bismarck. So these are the only things that I specifically know of that appear to have been changed as a result of Bismarck's trials (but there could be other things that I am not aware of).

Even the drawing you showed on the other site that showed a difference between Bismarck and Tirpitz's hangars (and boat arrangements) might have had nothing to do with Bismarck's trials. I say this because Tirpitz was commissioned before Bismarck starting carrying any aircraft. So what could have been learned from the Bismarck's trials that they would have been willing to spend the time to modify Tirpitz's hangars? Unless it was something related to spray, I suspect (but can not prove) that the differences were just the differences from being built in two different shipyards.

Obviously the biggest difference between the ships was the different arrangements of 10.5cm guns and the cranes, but I have never found any (reliable) source for when this decision to build it differently on Tirpitz was made.

Hopefully there is someone who knows all of these details that I do not, but there might not be anyone. I suspect that you will have an easier time converting the Revell 1/350 Tirpitz to an "as designed" Tirpitz, than to convert the Bismarck.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:33 pm 

I'll try to do a guess work from all the source I got ,doing it as the structure were drawn in 27 august 1940 or the bismarck as it was planned by blohm und voss (base on the 1/50 model made by the shipyard)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm 

will revell ever re-release the tirpitz as a normal edition like what they did with the bismarck (they released a normal version and a platinium version)?
(did I make a double post? If yes feel free to remove the second one).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:11 am 

what do you guy think about the grey swastika interpretation? I think it's wrong or an outdated interpretation:
http://modelstories.free.fr/analyses/av ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:40 am 

what is the most accurate 1/700 tirpitz (or 1:350) ,revell?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:00 am 

any way to know what modification were being planned/considered for the bismarck/tirpitz? I know bismarck didn't get the SL8 "dome rangefinder" in the rear (I dont have the english expression for that one):
compare to the model of the blohm und voss shipyard at 1/50 scale:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:12 am 

thebunkerparodie wrote:
I know bismarck didn't get the SL8 "dome rangefinder" in the rear (I dont have the english expression for that one)

Affectionately known as the Wackeltopf or wobblypot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:22 am 

I'm talking about the domed rangefinder(find the english expression,yay!):

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:52 am 

Asked and answered

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 am 

ok and I'm also asking about the planned modification for both bismarck and tirpitz.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:54 am 

my first ship model was a (badly done) bismarck from revell 1/520 scale (a lot of thing are gone now so I use it as a toy/meme):

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:43 pm 

There was no "grey swastika" - there was only debate over whether the swastikas were painted OVER with grey paint or covered in grey tarp. Images from the wreck appear to indicate grey paint covering some parts of the swastika, but which have worn away over time. You can see the difference between exposed wood on the left and the possibly grey-painted whites on the left: http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/2001ex ... edeck1.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:06 am 

For my birthday ,it's going to be a revell 1/350 bismarck,I'm going to do a "as planned" and base myself on my documentation and the model from blohm und voss,the scheme will be a what if one and it's gonna be a mix between the baltic scheme at one side and a tirpitz one on the other side.
the tirpitz scheme(my bismarck will be different of course) :

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:05 am 

do you know if the change on the funnel were due to a different turbine for the 2 ship or the construtor?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:34 pm 

thebunkerparodie wrote:
do you know if the change on the funnel were due to a different turbine for the 2 ship or the construtor?

Will you please provide more information, because I would like to help you if I can, but I do not know what change you are talking about. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 am 

Concerning Tirpitz in Fall '43, while at Altafjord, Norway. How many colors were used in this splinter pattern camo? : https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery ... -norway-7/
I can tell from BW photos that each end of the hull was Schnellboot Weiss, but were the splinters done in only Hellgrau and a darker gray, or was there a third shade involved (maybe more Schnellboot Weiss)? Also, did the capital ships (Tirpitz and Scharnhorst, in this case) sport deck swastikas at Altafjord, or only during operations like Sizilien?
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:16 am 

can any tell me if the prop guards on Bismarck were folded flat after leaving port?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next