The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:30 pm 

I think you'll find that the derrick(s) in question are the 40' ammunition derricks. They are found either side of B turret, one near the front, the other behind, same goes for X turret, full details are covered in John Roberts AOTS. I also believe that these may have worked in pairs feeding A&B or X&Y together as suggested by this image..

There are also 40' derricks to be found amidships, ammunition near the mainmast and ammunition/boats near the aft funnel, presumably to supply secondaries and AA mounts, again all drawings shown in AOTS, pages 92,93,94.95

Those shown do not look like the ammunition derricks, far too small, could be paravane and also the smaller derricks which control the 40' derricks, one placed each side of the large derrickas shown here

regards

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:17 pm 

not sure if anyone can answer this one but here's a question re the 4 vent housings on the forecastle deck under the shelterdeck... this picture shows the two on the portside marked in red..

Trumpeter have followed the picture above, but did this change after the shelterdeck was extended over the old 5.5 inch gun positions? I would say yes as need the draught to clear the gases from the vent.

This picture after the shelterdeck had been changed shows a different sort of trunking, completely different to the earlier vent, I can't see any vent on the shelterdeck above this position so am assuming that it still vents under the deck.

It looks to me that the vent is still in it's original position but has been angled towards the side of the ship presumably for better draughting, you can see the grill still facing to the stern the same as the smaller earlier vent. If I have read this right the next question would be, what changes were made the the vent further forward? Since the two original vents were of different sizes/design I doubt that it's a copy of the rear vent?
Any input greatly appreciated chaps..

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 pm 

Has anyone looked into backdating Trumpeter’s 1/200 scale Hood to 1921?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 pm 

I am gradually working on accumulating the information to back-date Trumpeter's 1:700-scale 1931 HMS Hood to the battlecruiser's 1928 condition, just prior to the first major refit. This thread always is and will be the first place of reference for this, and I am immensely grateful to all the knowledgeable contributions it contains.

However, it contains one constant minor irritant: its title. HMS Hood never was "the Mighty Hood" but rather "the Mighty 'Ood", a nickname the ship was given by the popular press at the time of the 1923 world cruise, no doubt reflecting the views of Hood's lower deck. I realise that changing the title could make it more difficult for visitors to locate information, but it still irritates me every time I refer to the thread.

Thank you again to all those who contribute so much.
Maurice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:02 pm 

hi guys...a question on railings...I know that prior to the war the stanchions were white for the top two thirds with the area below the first rail being hull colour. I believe but stand to be corrected that the stanchions were all grey during the war. Does anyone know for certain if this was the case and were the rail lines also grey or were these a natural cable colour which I guess would be a black or a some form of metallic dark grey.

All information gratefully received.

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:14 am 

Railing was hull grey, rail lines were generally not painted but there are always a few patches where the were painted anyway. The spurnwater seems to be not painted, even the part on the outside of the hull. So if you have classical railing with the lowest bar representing the spurn water you could opt to paint that teak.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:31 am 

EJFoeth wrote:
Railing was hull grey, rail lines were generally not painted but there are always a few patches where the were painted anyway. The spurnwater seems to be not painted, even the part on the outside of the hull. So if you have classical railing with the lowest bar representing the spurn water you could opt to paint that teak.

Thanks EJ, I had forgotten about the spurnwater, yes the Pontos set does have the spurnwater in the etch so I'll paint that teak...from what I can see in some photo's the rails are grey where it's a solid rail instead of a wire line, perhaps some wires may have been painted too? I think that I'll do all of the fore and quarter decks with bare wires , grey stanchions and teak spurnwater, areas that i know are solid rail will be all grey with teak spurnwater. that's fine for all ares with wooden decks, not sure what to do with rails on metal decks, teak spurnwater may look a bit weird assuming that there was some form of spurnwater on the shelterdeck? Either way it's going to involve a lot of hand painting...I'll of course paint everything first before removing from the sprue..I won't be doing these yet but always good to have a plan ready for when I get there...:)

cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:45 am 

All the main decks had separate stanchions, so forward-, quarter- and boat deck. I only see a spurnwaters near wooden decks, not near metal decks. It's not entirely clear if the spurnwaters were always not painted; very difficult to make out! I added some shots with conflicting info :wave_1: Perhaps hull grey on the outside is just fine? Don't know, actually.

Attachment:
deckedge_01.jpg

Attachment:
deckedge_02.jpg

Attachment:
deckedge_03.jpg

This last one shows the railing partially repainted (AP507C, probably). Also shows a spurnwater at right, not at the left (steel deck) part.

I'm going for individual stanchions anyway, so I have some time to think about it while painting them :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:01 am 

Thanks for the close-ups EJ...I have tried to zoom in on the photo's available on-line but guess most are low quality images as they pix-elate too much, your's are superb.. Good on you for doing separate stanchions, I've done this on 1/96 or larger but not on something this small, hats off to you for doing such on 1/350.....I've read through your site and very impressed, top work...:)

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:25 am 

Thanks! I'm currently working on the steam winches and I expect them to be done next week.. tricky bits... nearly done.

Attachment:
winch.jpg

I spend a lot of time watching Ebay and managed to buy a few good shots of HMS Hood. Tricky, because there are other collectors who are willing to pay a bit more (But I have a few and am preparing a series of shots for my blog). Plus, I exchange high-res footage with the HMS Hood site so I can get a much better look than most other people. It can make a difference in spotting detail! It's also a downside because you just can't stop noticing all these details. :big_grin: I've seen several models with individual stanchions on that scale so it is doable. The 1/350 railing will be a challenge with the rigging but I think I can make it work with the design I have.

But I actually spent this weekend on preparing for a meeting tomorrow and step 4 of my Lego Millenium Falcon...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:34 pm 

nice work...I need to update my tool kit, it's years since I've built plastic kits and thus most of my fine tools have been either lost or converted to something needed for building components on large loco's. My old 'helping hands' were sacrificed years ago..
I love the detail on your winch and can imagine the lathe work involved for some parts. The steam winches by Pontos are nicely detailed but again using very brittle resin, you may guess that i'm not a great fan of resin being for small delicate parts, much preferring white metal castings as they are robust enough to withstand handling. Resin has it's uses though, many moons ago when I was very much into RN warships I started making the patterns for a kit of a Tribal in 1/350. I never got around to finishing it due to work but still have the patterns and moulds for hull, superstructure and IIRC some armaments, you never know I may get back on it one day, need to finish my 1/11.3 (5 " gauge) scale live steam model of Flying Scotsman first, there's a good 10 years left in that build so no 'Tribal' work for a while...:)

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm 

If the railings are chains then I would expect them to be black or some sort of dark metal colour and probably not painted at all. It would be counterproductive to waste paint on a chain that moves and scrapes where all the paint would flake off. If the railings are solid metal then chances are they are painted. If the guard rails are chains then probably bare metal colour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 am 

Sutho wrote:
If the railings are chains then I would expect them to be black or some sort of dark metal colour and probably not painted at all. It would be counterproductive to waste paint on a chain that moves and scrapes where all the paint would flake off. If the railings are solid metal then chances are they are painted. If the guard rails are chains then probably bare metal colour.

If Im right; the railings are not chains ín this picture from eBay many years ago.

Attachments:
Stancions2.jpg
Stancions2.jpg [ 168.97 KiB | Viewed 1991 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 am 

builder wrote:
Sutho wrote:

If Im right; the railings are not chains ín this picture from eBay many years ago.

Agree...not chains...wire cable is my guess..there may be some chain in places where it's removable for access though..

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm 

RN railing used galvanized flexible steel wire rope, 1.5/1.5/2" from lowest to highest rope. A lanyard was present at access points, no chains. Wire rope railing was used at all main decks (boat deck, fore deck, quarterdeck). The superstructure had solid railing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:21 pm 

EJFoeth wrote:
RN railing used galvanized flexible steel wire rope, 1.5/1.5/2" from lowest to highest rope. A lanyard was present at access points, no chains. Wire rope railing was used at all main decks (boat deck, fore deck, quarterdeck). The superstructure had solid railing.

Thanks EJ..to the rescue again...:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:02 pm 

does anyone know the dimensions of Hood's studded chain links?..please

EJ perhaps?

cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 am 

EJFoeth wrote:

The dimensions of the wire rope are circumference I think, not the diameter. Would be rather enormous if it were...

So divide these values by Pi to get the diameter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:25 am 

greenglade wrote:

EJ perhaps?

cheers

Pete
The bow anchor cables/chains were made up of 1 ft 8 inch links which were 3 3/8 inches in diameter. The combined cables consisted of 41 shackles (35 full shackles and 12 half shackles) for an overall (combined) length of 3,075 ft when three bow anchors were carried (the bower cables were each about 15 shackles/1,125 ft in length and the sheet cable was somewhat smaller at about 825ft).

Source: the HMS Hood Association website (where else? :big_grin:) http://www.hmshood.com/ship/hoodspecs5.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:36 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
greenglade wrote:

EJ perhaps?

cheers

Pete
The bow anchor cables/chains were made up of 1 ft 8 inch links which were 3 3/8 inches in diameter. The combined cables consisted of 41 shackles (35 full shackles and 12 half shackles) for an overall (combined) length of 3,075 ft when three bow anchors were carried (the bower cables were each about 15 shackles/1,125 ft in length and the sheet cable was somewhat smaller at about 825ft).

Source: the HMS Hood Association website (where else? :big_grin:) http://www.hmshood.com/ship/hoodspecs5.htm

Clearly I should have checked the association first..lol....I had checked AOTS which has good drawings but no dimensions other than the thickness given in the written details of Hood's anchors .....in my defence, it was a last thought that I had before retiring for the night...:)

Many thanks

Pete

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 59  Next