The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:31 am 

tjstoneman wrote:
Not sure this is Churchill. I do not recall his quasi-naval uniform ever carrying "scrambled egg" and officer's cap badge on the cap. HOOD is in a relatively early configuration.

Interesting observation re 'Churchill'! Then whom could it be I wonder?

Post subject: Paint Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:32 am 

Anybody have an idea what the underside of the shelter deck was painted? Same color as metal deck? Help appreciated.

Walt Haynes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 pm 

I can't comment on RN practice, but a typical USN scheme was to paint overhanging surfaces white. The thinking was to reduce the shadow effect. Good question!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:47 am 
Could that be Admiral Dudley Pound?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:42 pm 

Can anyone identify part E32 as shown on page 14 of the Trumpeter instructions? It seems to be designated as a signal tube in AOS, but I don't have a clue as to what it actually looks like. Any help appreciated.
Walt Haynes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:26 am 
Hi
A newby here, just about to start Trumpys 1350 !!! Anyway Tinham has asked about tying off flag ropes/hoists (?) next to flag lockers. I`ve looked at models and the films of Hood. On models they all seem to be tied (fixed) to the back of the lockers which seems to make them difficult or impossible to work with me. The films show 3 or 4 small cleats on the top of the splinter rail next to the lockers . That seems the obvious place to me but unfortunately the films don`t actually show them in use. Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
Slowhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:17 am 

Hi All

Hi Mr Haynes, if you mean the war signal stations on the shelter deck then there are lots of images of them on the Hood Association website that will give you a good idea of what they looked like (something similar to the noisy end of a trumpet with a hinged lid on top).

Hi slowhand, I'm not too sure, there are cleats built into the flag locker and the rails surrounding, I do know that there are a couple of films of Hood on You Tube (I can't remember the name of them sorry, Hood in colour and with the fleet or something similar?) which show flags being raised, one in colour and one in black and white, sorry I can't be of more help,

Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:41 am 
Hi Cag
Thanks for that. I've looked at the films you mention and annoyingly can see the cleats on the shields but no one uses them!! ( although one LOOKS as though something might be attached to it). I've looked at EJFs wonderful site and found loads of other really useful stuff, but no mention on there either as far as I can see, although he goes into the flag lockers in detail!
Ah well, a long way to go before get to them so maybe an answer will emerge...otherwise will take a punt!.
Cheers
slowhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:23 am 

Hi All,

Hi slowhand, I might have found the b/w film, try You Tube film "Our Navy in Wartime" silent newsreel periscope film no 73622.

It shows Hood and her flagdeck about 4 minutes 13 in and from then onwards for a while, there appear to be cleats on top of the flag deck shield (the metal wall that goes around the outside deckedge) with the signal halyard ropes attached to them at times.

Hope that helps
Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:20 pm 

Thank you...!

There is a LOT of detail on Hood in this film... most of which adds further to my research on my 200 scale Hood... :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:37 am 
Hi Cag
Thanks for that. Yes the cleats are quite clear and it looks like at least one halyard attached so I guess that is what happened. Now all I`ve got to do is try to make some sort of cleat and attach at least three of them each side, at 1:350!!!
Cheers and i look forward to your help on all my subsequent questions!
slowhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:05 am 

Hi All

You're both welcome, I'll try to help if I can but Im by no means a Hood expert, EJ Foeth is your man there!

There is a good shot of the air defence position in the film which shows that the central raised compass position depicted on most model instructions are incorrect.

The compass in fact was positioned off centre close to the front forward screen with air look outs to either side and the two air defence target bearing sights at either side of the air defence position as seen in images (you can also just make out an aircraft identification poster on the front screen too).

There was a small central electrical switch box screen which from above looks like an elongated H shape, (the horizontal bar of the H running longitudinally front to back in the centre of the position) with two more air lookouts on either side toward the rear, no raised compass platform whatsoever.

Hope it helps
Best wishes
Cag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:20 am 

Having asked the the question re. the method used to operate the flag lowering and raising, i am yet to see
any definitive answer. My additional question re. the helm signals (port cones and starboard ball) are answered
in the AOTS book.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:41 am 

Right, I took a look of what I have but the flag locker location after the refit isn't well captured (the number of pics that follow seem to contradict that..)

Attachment:
FL_1.jpg

This pic of HMS Prince of Wales shows that a series of answering funnels are placed near the flag lockers.

Attachment:
FL_2.jpg

Pre-refit shots show these funnels on HMS Hood as well.

Attachment:
FL_3.jpg

The plans after the refit do not show these funnels, however, not all plans show all details equally well.

Attachment:
FL_4.jpg

When I look closely at this IWN shot I do notice several halyards and they seem to be going to location next to the flag lockers.

Attachment:
FL_6.jpg

Attachment:
FL_7.jpg

Attachment:
FL_8.jpg

Attachment:
FL_9.jpg

Stills from various movies show some cleats and halyards not going to the flag lockers, but I cannot see the funnels either, or where these halyards start except for that one colour image.

Attachment:
FL_10.jpg

But even HMS Prince of Wales it seems to be fairly straightforward, simply a few cleats. (And only one funnel, they did not follow the builders plans). So I suppose cleats next to the lockers is it. Perhaps they even tied them to the railing for the inner lockers, similar to this close-up from HMS Sheffield (left tied, right showing a cleat).

Attachment:
FL_11.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:23 pm 

Does anyone know if Hood’s very tall main topmast carried early in her life to support long wavelength radio aerials would be carried while at sea, or only in port?

I ask because I know very tall masts are subject to commend this stress when the ship rolls heavily.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:10 am 

Interesting photos, EJ. I guess it will all boil down to how each builder interprets the answer. Am still not sure
how to proceed, (completed all the rigging bar the signal halyards), so i might cheat and wait for others to show
how they overcome this question !!.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:00 am 

I'd go for a few halyards going to the railling at the inside of the flag lockers and a few on the outside on the splintershielding, both with a cleat on top, i.e., the idea of a cleat, as they are very small, so just any point in that general area. The simplicity shown in the shot of HMS Prince of Wales is pretty convincing not a whole lot is going on there to fix the halyards. Interesting question, hadn't really thought of it...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:42 pm 
HI all
re halyards, I think I`ll go for the "top of splinter shield" option as the pics ( film clips) at least do show that. Quite HOW to show those tiny things at 1350 is another matter!! Just shows how the simplest things on this ship can cause the biggest headaches! BUT a long way to go `til then so I`m not worrying as yet.
There`s bound to be a lot more FAQs as I go forward so no doubt I`ll be back
Thanks EJF and all.
Cheers
slowhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 pm 

Is there a canned spray lacquer or enamel that matches or is close to matching Hood’s color during the 1920s.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:32 pm 

Can anyone point me to an illustration of where the underwater torpedo tubes hood carried between 1921-1937 are?

Also, does anyone know of any photos or diagrams showing:

1. The aperture of the underwater torpedo tube

2. What does the 2 above water tubes o each side look like with the armored doors open?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 59  Next