The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:15 pm 

I have the Flyhawk Hood model with both Grey and Red lower hull, so the research finally made it through into the modeling world.

Sadly my kit arrived all broken up so I cannot really build it till new one comes god knows when, from the intergalactic backorder black hole. Still, looks like a good kit at first glance with some omissions such as hull plating is missing on lower hull but present on upper hull, and the depth gauge markings decals are not available sadly.

I can't provide more detail as I wont probably build it for a while but nonetheless looks like we have a more accurate Hood on market at last in 1/700 scale. Can't wait to see it built by someone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:22 pm 

HI
I've just got my new Flyhawk 1/700 kit and I have to say it looks very good. I`m not a 1/700 expert by any means but the moulding looks first class to me and it does seem to pick up the vast majority of the latest info.Yes including the colour of her bottom and the recently discovered extent of the corticene on the main deck, the single /double degaussing cable ,accurate HACS, and a very fine representation of the main boat deck supporting beams and pillars which I doubt if you will be able to see at all!
I also bought the "upgrade " kit with PE, brass and some resin bits which looks very good too, but is a bit daunting to me.Having built the 1350 scale Trumpy version with the Big Blue Boy PE set , the bits all seem VERY small and fragile. The instructions for the PE seem a bit vague and tricky in places but I guess they`ll work out. I also got the wooden printed deck but I`m not sure if I`ll use it yet.Its not a patch on Scale-decks 1350 deck but then it wouldn't be would it.I may well try to paint the wood decks instead.
And oh yes, I got mine from Hobby Easy and it came within a week of the payment being cleared , very well boxed with no damage as far as i can tell.
Must wait til the long winter evenings to see how she goes together.
Cheers
Slowhand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:57 am 

I see that folks are starting to receive their 1/700 Flyhawk 1941 Hood models! That is excellent news! You’ve even beaten me…mine are still on their way across the Pacific now (they must be on the old “slow boat from China,” LOL).

Anyway, I’m sure many of you have already seen it, but one of the first in-box video reviews of the kit has been posted to Youtube. You can view it at https://youtu.be/_0DIWADBGh8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:06 pm 

HI Frank
I have just viewed the review and yes it is that good in my opinion. I suppose some of the details are a tad over-scale in 1700 , such as the splinter shield supports ( great to even see them at this scale, they weren't on Trumpys 1350 version!) and the funnel bands, but this may be approaching the limit of plastic moulding for this scale? Of course the PE will give a much better result in scale especially for the mast platforms and quad pom-pom mounts. I still think its a great effort tho`. Mainly due to your good-selves at the Hood Association.
No doubt you will let us know what you think via this forum and the Association website.
Finally ( for now) I see that the Association gets full credit in the instruction manual, along with them including a letter from the HMSHA endorsing the kit.
Cheers
slowhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:13 am 

Hi all,

There is a small but glaring omission in the Flyhawk Hood and can't help but wonder how this was missed!

The remnants of the flying off platform on the port edge of X-turret are not included. So....that will need to be rectified.

See pic below comparing the AOTS line drawing to the kit instructions.

Attachment:
20210913_085657.jpg
20210913_085657.jpg [ 303.59 KiB | Viewed 3253 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:24 pm 

PaulC wrote:
Hi all,

There is a small but glaring omission in the Flyhawk Hood and can't help but wonder how this was missed!

The remnants of the flying off platform on the port edge of X-turret are not included. So....that will need to be rectified.

Yikes!

Which version of the kit did you obtain (standard or deluxe)? Any chance they included the platforms in the deluxe PE but forgot to put a call out in the instructions? I am unable to check on this end because, strangely enough, I (who should've been among the first to receive the kit) am still waiting on the proverbial slow boat from China, LOL. I run outside every day to see if something has arrived, but so far not a sausage! I'm starting to get worried...

For our part, I can confirm that we definitely sent FH some detailed photos of the "X" turret frames (in fact, I specifically recall going back later on and sending photos showing how the corner/edge and corner supports had changed). I have a vague recollection of possibly recommending these be considered for photoetch as well. Luckily these should be pretty easy for folks to recreate, but it would still have been better for the kit to have come with them to begin with.

Additionally, we also sent various images of the tiny bridge attached to the rear of "X" turret's rangefinder. I don't see that in the image you attached. Did they include that structure?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:09 pm 

Follow-up to my previous post (immediately above): Fortunately someone placed photos of the deluxe kit online. I see that the X turret frames and foot bridge are on photoetch fret B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:38 am 

Hi Frank
yes I was just going to mention the X turret platforms. It does seem strange to put them in the PE but leave them out of the basic kit.

Just another few thoughts.
The "narrow platform " on the starboard side of the spotting top doesn't seem to be there either in plastic on PE...ah well can`t get everything right!
They do seem however to have put in a semblance of deck camber on the fore and aft wooden decks ,you can just make it out if you sight along them. That must be quite difficult in 1:700. Don`t think the 1:350 Trumpy kit had that.
Also I see they've picked up the different sizes of the large square openings on the quarter deck rear screens , left and right.Good job there.

Hope you get your kit soon Frank. Mine is still in the box although I do look at it now and then and wonder how the hell I`m going to make it all work!
Cheers
slowhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 am 

slowhand wrote:
Hi Frank
yes I was just going to mention the X turret platforms. It does seem strange to put them in the PE but leave them out of the basic kit.

Just another few thoughts.
The "narrow platform " on the starboard side of the spotting top doesn't seem to be there either in plastic on PE...ah well can`t get everything right!
They do seem however to have put in a semblance of deck camber on the fore and aft wooden decks ,you can just make it out if you sight along them. That must be quite difficult in 1:700. Don`t think the 1:350 Trumpy kit had that.
Also I see they've picked up the different sizes of the large square openings on the quarter deck rear screens , left and right.Good job there.

Hope you get your kit soon Frank. Mine is still in the box although I do look at it now and then and wonder how the hell I`m going to make it all work!
Cheers
slowhand

Spotting Top Platform-
Thanks for pointing that out. I’m not sure why FH didn’t include it in the model as I thought I saw it in the drawings. Its another thing I’d have expected to be in the photoetch.

To be honest though, that platform has always struck me as odd and to this day, I’m still not so sure about it. I first noticed it @18-19 years ago whilst comparing footage from the 2001 wreck expedition with pre-sinking photos of the ship. I remember asking John Roberts about it: I told him that the platform struck me as something temporary, but he seemed to think it might of been more permanent in nature (based on the fact that if appeared to have proper railing rather than ropes, it had a fairly beefy underside support and they had made an access point through the roof overhang. Perhaps the platform was necessitated by the recent addition of the gunnery radar.). It’s something I’ve always looked out for whenever “new” 1941 photos are found. To date, I’ve seen it in one or two other photos, but these are from the same exact time period/docking. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any starboard side photos of the ship at sea/on patrol/not in drydock after this period (i.e., in April or May 1941). There are obviously a few photos that we’ve all seen, but she’s always annoyingly pictured from her PORT side! This, along with photos of her final aerial spreader, is one of my “holy grail” items.

Rear Battery Openings-
I’m not sure what to call these openings actually…so I refer to their original intended usage, LOL. FH’s initial drawings were already correct when I saw them (this was something we definitely looked for). We only had to suggest a few minor details, but some (portholes and support beams I believe) were not possible to incorporate into the moulding. FH were possibly going to address those with photo etch (not sure if they did or not) or otherwise leave up to modellers to incorporate or not.

Deliberate Detail Omission-
I should mention that there is one notable feature that is almost certainly missing from the kit. I’m referring to oil fender storage on the boat deck. This is something that most modellers would probably overlook, but I’m sure folks here will notice. This “heap” (for lack of a better word) was located on the starboard side, just behind the row of large boats and roughly in line with the angular engine room vent and the starboard UP.

There aren’t many detailed photos of this heap; they’re mostly long distance glimpses taken at oblique angles. I’ve seen maybe two or three close-up deck level photos, but these were from different points in her career and the appearance varied somewhat (perhaps they changed fender styles later in her career or took care to arrange it differently). The 1941 photos are only partial views and you can’t see great detail. Because of this, FH were hesitant about incorporating it. So, it will be left to the modeller to decide if they want to scratch build it (which shouldn’t be too difficult with scrap plastic, wire and a bit of artistic license). Here’s my attempt at a ver6 rough description: The overall appearance was rectangular and about 4-6 ft tall. It seems to have been composed of some folded fenders stacked atop each other with other items (perhaps wood and tarps) lashed around/over it. There wer obviousk6 also ropes around and coiled on top. I’ll see if I can get permission from the photo donors (because they are from restricted collections) to post a few photos that we do have…I will post them in the review/suggested improvements article we ultimately write for the Hood website (which is on hold until I get my kits).

Bridge Detail Update-
We came across some “new” Air Defense Platform photos after FH released the kit. Many of you have probably have already seen them as they were posted on the Association’s Facebook page a while back. If you haven’t, basically they show some officers standing either in or just in front of the upper/rear A.D. platform. For the very few folks who do not know what this structure was was, it was the little open platform at the top of the bridge between the tripod legs (as high as you can go without actually going up the tripod foremast). The shots are likely from 1940 as the upper AD platform has already been extended (they appear to have brought it a bit further forward) but they haven’t removed the small rangefinder just yet. The photos are interesting, but unfortunately do not answer some of our key questions (such as how did the men get up there…it’s deck was about 4 ft higher than the main forward AD platform above the Compass Platform). One thing it DOES show, however, is a section of deck between the two platforms. It appears to be horizontally slatted. As for composition and colour, I have no idea… I also don’t know if this was used IN the AD platforms (I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if the slats were also used therein…I do expect that there were grates in some areas). I suppose we can look at what was done on other, contemporary ships… Ideas anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:39 am 

Quote:
Which version of the kit did you obtain (standard or deluxe)?

It's the standard - I guess you figured that out. I checked the small PE fret that comes with the kit, but there's nothing there that looks compatible. Still Flyhawk is more than capable of doing those parts in plastic! It is not mentioned in the instructions - neither is there anything with regards to the "tiny bridge" on the back of X-turret. :(

The only thing I see to be fitted on the back of X-turret is a PE ladder.

But....I guess I'll try to put something together.

Can you post a picture or diagram of the X-turret "bridge"?

Thanks!

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:09 pm 

PaulC wrote:
Can you post a picture or diagram of the X-turret "bridge"?

I know this isn’t much, but hopefully it will help (these are from our review of the Trumpeter 1/200 kit):

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:59 pm 

Great! Thanks Frank!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:14 pm 

Here's what Ive managed to do with X-turret using PE leftover from other kits. For the little bridge on the back of the turret, I used a ladder, and I was lucky to find pieces similar enough the the catapult remnants. I cut triangular support brackets from PE sprue.

For my purposes, they work! :big_grin:

Attachment:
20211001_172808.jpg
20211001_172808.jpg [ 282.71 KiB | Viewed 2882 times ]

Attachment:
20211002_071027 (1).jpg
20211002_071027 (1).jpg [ 204.09 KiB | Viewed 2882 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:28 am 

Hi All,

Hi Paul, now that's a fine looking Hood! The corticene and semtex look good and you've even got the little squares below the 4 inch mounts, a really great model!

Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:22 pm 

PaulC wrote:
Here's what Ive managed to do with X-turret using PE leftover from other kits. For the little bridge on the back of the turret, I used a ladder, and I was lucky to find pieces similar enough the the catapult remnants. I cut triangular support brackets from PE sprue.

For my purposes, they work! :big_grin:

The model is looking great Paul! Please share more photos of the build.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:18 am 

--

Last edited by EJFoeth on Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:37 pm 

Cag wrote:
Hi Paul, now that's a fine looking Hood! The corticene and semtex look good and you've even got the little squares below the 4 inch mounts, a really great model!

FW_Allen wrote:
The model is looking great Paul! Please share more photos of the build.

Thanks Cag and Frank! Doing my best.

@Cag - the semtex squares under the 4-inch mounts are demarcated on the deck, so that's thanks to Flyhawk not me!

@Frank - I'll certainly post some more as I go along. Loving every minute of the build - even at the semi-microscopic level!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:32 am 

Hi All,

Hi Paul, credit where credit is due its a lovely build!

Hi Mr Foeth and Mr Allen, I used to have a pic of this on a device which crashed and it was unfortunately lost, it wasn't a good image as it was grainy and in the image the deck was covered in snow, unfortunately whatever was there was also canvas covered, but it did show a square structure, as Frank mentioned, on two levels (rather like a South American Pyramid!) just where your drawing shows, maybe these oiling fenders were lashed together to form a structure, rather like a balza raft?

I've just started working on the rear pom pom bandstand (Auntie?), which has me asking some questions, which if anyone here has an answer I'd be extremely grateful, question one, I'm guessing the metal deck was "skid proofed" in some way but do we know how, semtex or anti skid paint, and question 2, the structure below the pom pom was a ready use pom pom store, how was it accessed, a door, flash proof hatches?

Any help would be appreciated, but I realise this is a difficult question to answer as the images we have don't really show much detail, neither do the ships plans I have.

If anyone has an idea it would be most gratefully received, thank you in advance,
Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:49 am 

Gentlemen,

Re: Fenders in HMS HOOD

Photographs of the ship completing at John Brown's show groups of fenders stowed around the base of the after funnel. These are of the type shown in the attachment to EJF's post of 9 Oct.

They were of what may be best termed the "fascine" type similar to those fitted to specific armoured fighting vehicles to be dropped into ditches and the like. They were bundles of wood wrapped round a larger piece to which were attached the lanyards for lifting them. One would presume that they were fairly heavy but not unduly so otherwise they may have required the aid of a derrick to lift them in and out of their stowages.

For ordinary fendering work i.e. keeping a light craft away from the ship's side, they would have sufficed and may have done so until someone discovered a problem in their use as originally provided for. The problem being that when a deeper draught vessel like a destroyer, oiler or water tanker had to come alongside, there was every chance that the smaller vessel might endanger the "bulge" below water (not to mention herself): neither HMS NELSON or RODNEY would have had that problem. Therefore British battleship/cruisers with bulges were then provided with oiling fenders of the catamaran type: HMS RESOLUTION is known to have had two onboard in 1939, stowed abaft the main mast.

Catamaran fenders were fairly long, wide and deep, stout constructions of wood/metal; which were swung outboard with the main derrick, lowered and secured alongside so as to keep the ship alongside away from the larger ship's side and therefore her bulge. Each ship so fitted probably had hers made especially for her so there was no standard size, HOOD's though appear to have been about 16ft long by about 12ft wide judging from the copy of the "as fitted" drawing attached to EJF's post. However, Page 139 of Volume II of the 1967 Manual of Seamanship gives details of an important dimension: the depth of the catamaran should be not less than one third or more than one half of the width to prevent it from tipping if struck too hard: even then I saw it happen.

That explains what type HOOD's vexed oiling fenders probably were. However, we cannot see the "best" image available because it is "private." Fine, is it therefore possible to make a sketch of the best image available and post it on this thread? Surely the copyright owner would not object to that and everyone will be happy: as far as it goes.

That said, is it necessary to precisely model the ship's oiling fenders? Alright, I know that there are one or two that might, however, in general use these things would have been stacked one above the other on deck and kept covered with canvas so as to avoid offending the commander's eyes (sorry Americans: executive officer). If that is sufficient, why not just model the canvas covered stack?

I hope this saves anymore unnecessary skating around this subject.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:30 am 

--

Last edited by EJFoeth on Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 59  Next