The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:45 am 

Photos of the scallops are pretty common, but if you cant find any decent enough, please let me know. We definitely have ample coverage of those (as well as the plate that was under the rear of the gun houses).

These features were common to all four gun houses. Even so, each one did have some features that made it somewhat unique from the others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:54 am 

FYI- For those of you building the Trumpeter 1/200 Hood: We've just completed an overhaul of our article covering suggested improvements to the kit. We updated most existing photos and have added tons more. We've also expanded our detail suggestions. So if you've already read it, you will need to do so again. You can find it at http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models ... ter200.htm

The bad news is that because of all the new detail rediscoveries, our similar article for the Trumpeter 1/350 Hood is now quite out of date! We hope to get to that soon. In the meantime, those of you building the 1/350 kit are advised to also read our 1/200 article as it describes details missing from both kits.

Our painting instructions have also been tweaked.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:26 am 

FYI for anyone building Hood "as sunk" -

We have some more "new" info regarding Hood's final configuration. Its come to us through several previously unpublished photos taken between Jan and May 1941. We're so happy that folks keep finding these materials! Unfortunately, we cannot republish anything at this time (the owner will be posting some online...and we will ask if we can publish annotated versions showing key details).

I would have posted this in the Pontosmodel 1/200 Hood thread, but that is now winding to a close. I suspect I'd also get more complaints about delays, price and "nitpicky" details :huh: I sincerely hope we can avoid that sort of thing here. Please, if anyone finds our inputs nitpicky, please keep any negative comments to yourself. YOU may find it trivial or nitpicky, but it doesn't mean that others (especially TRUE Hood fans or enthusiasts) will feel the same. Thanks in advance. Stepping down off my soapbox now...

Okay, here's the latest info:

1. Aerial spreader - The spreader at the rear of the foremast starfish is very poorly documented. We simply don't know exactly how it was attached. Its been anyone's guess as to how the thing was truly attached...via stump mast, some sort of tripod, or via brackets from the back of the Spotting Top. The new photo doesn't completely clarify this, but DOES show/confirm:
    a. There were definitely a pair of angled beams at the rear that helped support it. We saw the remnants in the wreck and can see them in the new photo (albeit faintly).
    b. The angled supports appear to connect to a rectangular structure near the centre-rear edge of the starfish/behind the centre of the rear bulkhead of the Spotting Top.
    c. We can't see the actual connection points of the spreader unfortunately (not with the current scan...but are hoping a better scan will clarify things)
    d. My own personal assessment is that they probably modified the support base for the original foretop mast. They may have reduced it in height (to provide clearance for the radar hood) and attached the spreader that way. Of course, I will run this by more learned minds than mine and see what they think...

2. Enclosed Focsle/Batteries Area - The new photo shows lots of detail to include:
    a. Placement of deck support pillars (the inboard ones remained in the same positions (i.e., under the boat crutches), but some additional ones were added closer to the outside. These were less numerous and positioned roughly inline with the column supporting the forward 4" gun).
    b. There were many hammock bars (or similar to hammock bars) that things could be hung/slung from.
    c. Loads of "Denton Rafts" stowed alongside the outer gunwale (in between the supports/stays).
    d. UP ready use lockers (we heard they were down there but never had a photo until now). The ones in the photo are roughly in-line (when viewed in profile) with the rear UP position above...but located inboard alongside the long/straight inner bulkhead (just aft of the amidships passageway). They may have replaced some wash deck lockers that were there at some point (or moved those lockers elsewhere more likely). They are directly behind a through-deck ladderway (that went down deeper into the ship).
    e. Other standard-looking ready use lockers (presumably pom-pom) near the former 5.5 officers station.
    f. The former 5.5" officers watch station was still present (it was converted to torpedo I believe). Trumpeter did not include it in their 1/350 or 1/700 kits, but it IS in the 1/200.
    g. The areas where the 5.5" guns were formerly positioned was planked over (there was a question as to whether they just used a metal plate or wood...it was wood).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:25 pm 

FW_Allen wrote:
e. Other standard-looking ready use lockers (presumably pom-pom) near the former 5.5 officers station.
f. The former 5.5" officers watch station was still present (it was converted to torpedo I believe). Trumpeter did not include it in their 1/350 or 1/700 kits, but it IS in the 1/200.
g. The areas where the 5.5" guns were formerly positioned was planked over (there was a question as to whether they just used a metal plate or wood...it was wood).[/list]

e.: I see a Denton fixed to a UP RU locker.
f.: Nice additional planking detail to carve in.

:woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:12 pm 

Thanks for further updates Frank - really appreciated!

Even though it's giving me a headache trying to absorb all the data - keep the details/info coming - not nitpicky in any way and we're fortunate to have such input.

For me my 1:200 Hood will be a very special project and I want it to be as accurate as possible. The info around these parts, as well as the Hood Association site - is hugely useful!!

:thumbs_up_1:

Iain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:10 pm 

EJ just pointed out to me that ALL of the Ready Use lockers in the photo are actually UP lockers...some forward, some aft. No sign of the forward pom-pom lockers.

No sign of the big bollard either (the one included with the 1/350 kit that is).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:36 am 

Can I just say, all this information, in one location is bloody brilliant!! Thank you to all who add to the info.

Now I just need to learn some of the terminology!!

Nigel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:10 pm 

FYI- Here are the photos (rough scans) we mentioned in some our last posts back in December. We were unable to post them until just now. We've added them to our article on Trumpeter's 1/200 model (and will likely do so for the 1/350 article as well). Of course, these photos should prove useful for ANY model of Hood, since they show things not accurately depicted in any known models and drawings.

Again, these are rough. We hope to get better scans sometime in the near future.

Above & Below - Hood's very busy port side battery. Starboard should have been very similar (slight difference in some inboard pillars). Lots of detail to add for those who wish to do so!

Below- At long last, a view of Hood's aerial spreader attachment after it and the radar were fitted. This is currently the only known photo of the structure from the rear that's clear enough to give us a decent idea as to how it was all arranged. Its a bit blurry, so not all questions are answered. So, it'll have to do until we get a better scan. Image

One more minor, though interesting find. Did you know that Hood actually carried two large Carley Floats on the very end/narrowest bulkhead of her After Concentration Position/Searchlight Structure? The whole structure carried three...one on the starboard side and then the two larger ones on the narrow rear side (she carried different sized Carleys...they were not all the same size). All those square windows were gone by 1941 too!

Note that we have NOT put these in the Pontos thread! We don't want to cause any further delays...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:52 am 

Some great pictures, thank you.
Now we have to search for the measurements.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:24 pm 

A rough estimate based on sight lines would place the two other pillar about here:

Attachment:
nhbieddoeklbnbic.jpg

Estimated UP locker position also indicated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:47 am 

Some other parts to add.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:31 pm 

EJFoeth wrote:
A rough estimate based on sight lines would place the two other pillar about here:

Attachment:
nhbieddoeklbnbic.jpg

Estimated UP locker position also indicated.

Plus there was at least one more outer pillar inline with the two outer aft ones...it was forward of the 4" support base. I think there was also one next to the forward ladderway to the Boat Deck.

As for the UP lockers, I don't think the one (fifth one from the rear or fourth from the front) was right up against the old 5.5" officers station...I think it was next to the large vent that was just aft of the position. There may also be a couple more lockers that are out of view forward (based on comments made at the enquiries).

For those who are looking for pom-pom ready use lockers...they actually had magazines directly beneath each mount (all three mounts ). As for how the ammo got topside...:huh:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:23 am 

It would appear the splinter shielding of the aft 4" emplacement is not of constant height (open animated gif to see paralel lines and actual shielding lines). Also note the green blinking line and that the aft part of the shielding slopes up quit slowly.

Attachment:
splintershielding2.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:34 pm 

I agree. So, this means that both of the forward 4" mounts to port and their corresponding twins to starboard had splintershields that were not level with the deck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:58 am 

https://www.history.navy.mil/search.htm ... &category=

Post subject: 1/200 wood deck...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 am 

Hi All,
This is my 1st post, so be gentle with me. I am building the Trumpeter 1/200 Hood. Going quite well so far!. I'm building her as a waterline model. Lower hull cut off and main hull boxed in. Now what I've been looking for is a wooden deck kit!!!. I know Artwox and Pontos do the sets but at £160 and £230 for the sets just seams a bit expensive just for me to use the deck and few bits of photoetch parts. I have got the degaussing set and spilter shield sets plus the correct funnel for the aft one. But I will be held up because of the deck!!!!.So any help or information as to a deck kit being released would definitely put my mind at rest. So I'm just getting on with building as many of the sub assemblies as possible. Hope someone can help out. Many thanks in advance. Brian...

Post subject: Hms Hood start....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am 

Hi All,
Well I've made a start on the Hood/
Pontos build. Must admit didn't like the idea of cutting all the deck bits N Bobs!! but it has to be done. So all the bits are off now and I'm waiting for my paint to get here from sovereign models should be here tomorrow!! I hope. Get the base coat and top coat on then I can get to work putting the wooden decking on. I will try and get some photos on when it's done!!. Brian...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:08 pm 

Hi All,
Well as I've said I've made a start on the Pontos set. Now I'd like to ask is there any specific way that I fit the wooden deck?. I've removed the moulded bits&bobs from the kit deck and levelled it all off. This is my first wood deck I've fitted! So any advice before I go ahead a fit the deck would be of great help as I don't want to fluff it!!!!!!!. Oh and my paint came today from sovereign. So do I paint before or after?? the deck goes on??. Many thanks in advance of any info. Brian...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:19 pm 

I paint first then put the deck on.
HTH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:29 am 

Hi,
I've just scored a Tamiya 1/700 Hood (and E-Destroyer).
I'm wanting some PE detail sets, & I've found some stated to suit the Tamiya kit.
However, I can't find any wooden decking.
I can find ones to suit Trumpeter, but not Tamiya.
A: are there any suggestions?
B: will one fit anyway (same ship, same scale!?) -actually, silly idea, decking mold shapes are likely totally different.
c: will the kit plastic deck actually shape up pretty good anyway?
D: should I really be getting a Trumpeter kit anyway?

Very grateful for your advice.
Cheers guys.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 59  Next