The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:05 pm 

I just purchased the Trumpy 1/350 Hood. I have always been fascinated with her story and she's a beauty of a vessel. Now I hear that Trumpy my have a 1/350 version in 1920's or 30's configuration. Has anyone else heard this? If it's true I guess I'll just have to build two. Also, thanks to everyone for posting such helpful information on this thread.

Current build: HMS Hood
Kit: Trumpy 1/350

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:07 pm 

1. When first completed, the forward half of Hood's boat deck appeared to be bare steel. Is that actually the case, or was it surfaced with some sort of non-slip surface like concrete or linoleum? If covered with a non-slip coating, what would be the appropriate color?

2. I see conflicting illustrations of Hood's original 5.5 inch gun deck around the 3 midship 5.5 inch mounts. Counting from the back of the ship, all illustrations show No. 1 and No 3. mounts to have no permanent overhead cover. But some illustration show the No. 2 mounts covered with what appears to be a permanent deck overhead, which also supported a set of boat derricks. Others show No. 2 mount without overhead cover as well. Was the boat derrick and overhead deck present in 1921?

3. It appears the midship 5.5 inch guns can be shielded by some sort of temporary overhead canvas cover. But the frame of the canvas cover is not visible in any photos I have. Were the canvas covers available when the ship was new, or was it a later addition? Are there any permanent frames fro the canvas cover, or are the frames also struck down when the canvas are taken off?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:30 pm 

Chuck,

Here are your answers:

1. Decks- Try the following link on the Hood website. It will answer all of your Hood paint-related questions as well as deck covering questions-
http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models ... dpaint.htm

2. Hood was 21 years old when she was sunk by Bismarck. She was updated constantly throughout her career. Many changes were minor, but there were a few very noticeable changes to deck configurations- most notably two major changes to her Shelter Deck (aka Boat Deck). As originally completed, Hood's side batteries (the areas where the 5.5" guns were located along the port and starboard sides of the hull) were completely uncovered. During her 1929-1931 refit, the Shelter Deck above and inboard of this was widened a bit at roughly where the wood deck ended and the steel deck began. The rest was uncovered. In 1938, the Shelter Deck was widened everywhere else and this was later covered with a myriad of weapons, lockers and splinter shields. This is why you see different versions of Hood.

3. Various areas of Hood could be rigged with canvas covered as needed. It mostly depended on the weather/her ports of call. When not in use, the covers were stored away. For support, there were various tie downs on the superstructure and guns and there were also supporting frames. We've seen photos with the frames in place (even though the canvas wasn't rigged) and others where it was collapsed or dismantled. In my opinion, I wouldn't bother with the canvas stanchions unless I were going to use them.

Frank
H.M.S. Hood Association

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:39 pm 
I think the admiral's bridge was altered differently that is currently drawn on the usual references. Have a look.

This is the admiral’s deck from above. If you compare this deck with the available drawings, you’ll notice the layout is much different and there is a steel bulkhead around the deck.

On this composite picture it is clearly visible that the new layout resembles the pictures quite well. At the top left image, the high splintershield is seen wrapped around the bridge level. It steps down a bit with an inward step (A). The bottom image shows that this high splintershield ends just above the 5.5″ control director base (B). The right image shows that the bulkhead is steel, not just covered railings, and that it can be seen that the shield makes a few angles; a small piece of the aft shield is seen at (C).

Foeth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:31 pm 

I notice you've made the top of the conning tower overhang the front vision slits. I've not noticed that feature. would you happen to have close up photos of the front of the conning tower?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:35 pm 

Another question: Was the Hood painted with a similarly thick black boot top stripe in 1921 as she was to wear in 1941? It is impossible to tell from B&W waterline photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:59 am 

Hello guys!
Actually working on the profile of Mighty Hood, i'd like you t help me :
Aren't there too many mistakes in what i've made???

Thanks a lot for help

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:04 am 

Very nice!
I'm no expert at all ,but checking the information in the Hood's association web site , the UP platform is different and there were no carleys near the conning tower,very beautiful redention :thumbs_up_1:

3.- Don't build it

Last edited by Miguel on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:01 pm 

Well, though I have hundreds of photos of Mighty Hood here I am not that familiar with the particulars of the ship, yet it is my favourite...shame on me. What I've noticed almost immediately on your profile is the degaussing cables in the bow...somehow they don't look in the right shape to me but again I might be wrong. Also I second Miguel's opinion on the UP launcher platforms. My guess is that the best people around here to answer your questions are either Foeth, Frank Allen or perhaps AR.

Post subject: Re: Hood Drawing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:42 am 

nimitz4145 wrote:
Hello guys!
Actually working on the profile of Mighty Hood, i'd like you t help me :
Aren't there too many mistakes in what i've made???

Pretty good job so far. Of course, please understand that the source you based this on was created several years ago. Since that time, what we know about Hood's final appearance has changed somewhat.

Here are a few things to update on the drawing:

1. Colour- Above the waterline she was a darker/bluer grey (with black bits above the funnel tops)

2. Degaussing cable- As the chaps have indicated, it was a bit more fiddly near the bow- it wasn't so straight. It had to duck under a cathead then swing up and over the anchors, etc. It was also double around the bow and stern, but single amidships. One other thing about the degaussing cable- the fairing above the anchors was actually stepped in shape.

3. UP atop "B" turret- Needs some angular splintershield extensions

4. The railing around the sides of the Admiral's Bridge Deck- it turns out that in 1941, the railings were replaced with very tall metal splintershields. At least that is how it looks to Foeth (and I fully agree)

5. Director atop the Spotting Top- There was no box at the rear of the director.

6. Rafts- Move them aft.

You can see additional specifics about all of the above on the Hood site at
http://hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tips/hoodpaint.htm and http://hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tru ... mpeter.htm

Of course, you can always contact us too (admin at hmshood.com...replace the "at" with "@")

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:17 am 

Morning all, or perhaps that should be 'dear agony aunt',
I've been plodding through the thread and while there's a lot of discussion about earlier versions of Hood (compared to Trumpeter's 1/350th offering) there isn't a definitive list of what would have to happen to role her back to her late Mediterranean days. I have the 'Anatomy' which has a lot of the info of what changed when but it seems no one has been crazy, or obsessive enough to link the raw information to the kit. I'm itching to get cracking on the kit, but am suffering from the dreaded do-I-have-enough-information-to risk-beginning-syndrome. Pathetic, isn't it. Can anyone help a sufferer, or should I just pull myself together and bloody well get on with it....?

in anguish,
Fraser

1/700th Kalinin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:15 pm 
This is my Hood... http://www.freeweb.hu/olli/hd.html two years ago finished.
Imre Somogyi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:23 pm 

! ! !

(WOW)

:worship_1:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:47 pm 
Wow is right

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:29 am 
Imre,

that is a very nice and clean build, one of the best I've seen in 1/350. May I suggest you send pictures to both the gallery of this website and to the Hood site?

Foeth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:09 pm 

Simply Stunning!
Fraser

1/700th Kalinin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:24 pm 
I sent the photos of my Hood ten days ago to hmshood.com site, but no answer has arrived yet. Is it possible that they haven't received the photos? Or maybe they didn't like my pictures?
Imre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:22 pm 
I'm quite sure they will like your pictures. They update their site monthly and the site is run by two people. It make take some time, but they will post them.

Do you have more pictures of the model during construction? I always like those pictures!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:34 pm 

That's possibly one of the best models I have ever seen of HMS Hood!!!
Bravo!!! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:04 am 

Guest wrote:
I sent the photos of my Hood ten days ago to hmshood.com site, but no answer has arrived yet. Is it possible that they haven't received the photos? Or maybe they didn't like my pictures?
Imre

They have just migrated to a new site :-

http://www.hmshood.org.uk/forum/phpBB3/index.php

(You may need to log in to see/post)

(Very, very nice build, by the way).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 59  Next