The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:30 am 

Awesome article, I just finished my Hood and reading it I would like to start another one ... this time in 1/350... why not!

Also if my ship is finished I've still a curiosity about the addictional 4" AA guns fitted a mid ship just after the pom poms. I found some shots in the Higginson collection in the HMS Hood site, but I was not able to locate the correct position on the shelter deck in my model.

Ciao

Dino

PS : sorry for my poor English :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:43 am 
Also from HMSHood.com. The model is being updates, as I understand it. Several of the new finds have to be corrected.

[img]http://www.hmshood.com/photos/Schmid_overplan.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:51 am 

EJ Foeth wrote:
I noticed in the rendering by Thomas of the X-frames on X turret, that the dimensions are a bit wrong: the original fram consisted of 8 frames, the center two were removed.

Excellent article! Should come in very handy!

... but what was the purpose of this framed platform? If I'm not wrong it was fitted during 1936 refit, but it seem an incomplete structure ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:42 am 
If I recall correctly, it is part of structure for placing aircraft on the X-turret, but was abandoned and not properly removed. So, it has no function. Even worse, from its shape I cannot say how it should have functioned in the first place as it runs under the rangefinder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:37 pm 

Just a thought, those two platforms may of been a Launch/maintenance platform for crew/pilot and the actual catapult would of been fitted more central on the turret.

Post subject: Boat placement
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:48 pm 

I saw EJ's list of the appropriate 15 boats the Hood had on board when she went down on the Hood Assoc site. Does anyone know of the proper placement? Which plans are the most accurate concerning this area it the ship?

Kurt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:31 pm 
FROM FW_Allen, edited into this topic

Hello Everyone,

We hadn't intended for this to be seen yet (we were awaiting some feedback, etc), but its too late now as one of our readers saw and mentioned it.

So, if anyone is interested, you can see our review of the LionRoar detail set at
http://hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tru ... onroar.htm

FYI- We promised LionRoar that we'd let them know about any errors, plus that we'd tell them about all the recent "finds" that have been made. This is in the hopes that they will update their set for its next production run. The review of their detail set addresses the first promise (errors) whereas the following link addresses the second (new finds)- http://hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tru ... mpeter.htm

This second link is actually our review of the Trumpeter kit, but it also points out the key new "finds" for Hood that have come to light since the kit was created. LionRoar (and any other interested photoetch/detail set producer) can see what needs to be done by consulting that article.

If anyone has any comments or disagrees with anything I have written, please let me know.

Lastly, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:11 pm 

First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Second, I just wanted to let people know that we've added a wee bit more information to both reviews.

One of the more notable additions is a link to a photo of Hood's foremast starfish as it is today (thanks for the reminder EJ!). Its from video footage of the wreck shot by David Mearns's team in July 2001. We also added a link to a late 1940 photo of the area in question for comparison purposes. Lastly, we also updated our very rough schematic of the layout of the forward starfish. We added these items because in our reviews, we noted - but had not provided proof - that the model and various companies' replacement parts got this area wrong in varying degrees. That didn't sit well with everyone, so the proof is now there.

I am sure there were a couple other minor changes, but I can't recall them right now...too much sherry last night in celebration of the New Year!

Hopefully, these will be the last changes. As always, if anyone has any questions, comments, additions or disagreements, please do let me know. We'd appreciate any feedback that people may have regarding the articles. If you don't want to post it in public, you can always send it to me by e-mail through hmshood.com

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:25 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
It's official (seemingly). Trumpy will be releasing a 1/700 1931 Hood...[and a]...1941 version too, in same scale

Anyone care to wager that the 1931 version will out-sell the (umpteenth) re-run of another 1941 offering (assuming, of course, they are released as separate kits and not as a dual-build option)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:26 pm 

Having seperate numbers and prices, they will most likely be seperate kits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:10 am 

Sten Ekedahl wrote:
Laurence Batchelor wrote:
[quote="coaster"]Any sign of Conway republishing their Anatomy of Hood?
Fraser

Why bother?

It's cheap enough and still easy to find:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Ship-HMS-Hood/dp/085177900X/sr=1-1/qid=1168428280/ref=sr_1_1/203-2419741-3979107?ie=UTF8&s=books

I don't trust Amazon with that advertising. I tried to order it from them early last summer. After about four weeks I recieved an email saying that delivery would be delayed another 4-6 weeks. After about 8 weeks, another email saying, "Sorry, we have not been able to locate a copy of this book and will therefore discard your order. :mad_1: But you are welcome to order another book instead." :mad_2: :Mad_5: :censored_2:[/quote]

Try here then, one for £15 if you don't mind 1 small tear:-

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... 0&sortby=3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:22 am 

The reason I asked was because I got the impression it was being updated, maybe, possibly...
Amazon's second hand department is useless. Most of the sources won't ship to the Czech Republic. Think I'll raid the second hand book shops around Charing Cross Road next time I'm back.
F

1/700th Kalinin

Post subject: Buy the Book Now
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:07 am 

Hi Coaster,

I'd go ahead and buy it now. Don't hold out for an updated edition. As far as I know, John is busy with some other projects for the foreseeable future. So many ships, so little time. With this in mind, I doubt there are any plans on updating the book with all the recent finds. At least not anytime soon. I'll keep suggesting it though...

In my opinion, this book is still the best. Sure, there are a few bits of dated material, but the vast majority is still spot on. Its remains the best technical document on Hood. Definitely far superior than that latest Morskie book with all the drawings (some erroneous guesswork went into that one in more than one spot!).

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:11 am 

coaster wrote:
The reason I asked was because I got the impression it was being updated, maybe, possibly...
Amazon's second hand department is useless. Most of the sources won't ship to the Czech Republic. Think I'll raid the second hand book shops around Charing Cross Road next time I'm back.
F

Having spoke to John I too think a reprint very unlikely, buy the one on abebooks for £15 as I suggested and in my estimation airmail to the Czech republic would be around £7.00 for that book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:22 am 
The updated version of the AOTS book won't come out until I'm done with my model ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:19 pm 

coaster wrote:
Quote:
Having spoke to John I too think a reprint very unlikely, buy the one on abebooks for £15 as I suggested and in my estimation airmail to the Czech republic would be around £7.00 for that book.

Lasttime I had a book from Amazon I remember being shocked at how high the shipping charge was. As I mentioned, I'm in London in Feb, so I'll get it sent to my sister-in-law's!...Much Cheaper!
Thank you all for the help!
Fraser

I find buying books through Amazon either themselves direct or the sellers on the marketplace very reasonable as its a flat rate £2.75 regardless how big the book is :eyebrows:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:27 am 

.....and what about barrels....is it worth investing in the WEM turrets only to slip in Trumpeters upgrade barrels....are the barrels good enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:08 am 
Hmm, the barrels by Trumpeter look pretty poor. I still have one barrel by Steve Nuttall, but I'm not sure if it can be casted....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:27 am 

The German firm can do them as a custom job email them, I forget the link :scratch:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:35 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Front page, woot.

Modellmarine custom barrels: https://shop.modellmarine.de/

Some of us rarely come in through the front door :big_grin:

Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 59  Next