The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:08 pm 
Hello Steve,
in reply to your question about the Tamiya 1/700 scale Hood, I am just building my third version. I haven't found a wooden deck for this kit, but the moulded details are quite good for a kit that was tooled about 43 years ago and it builds into a nice model. If I can make it work, I will attach some pictures of my current build.

[img][http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/BristolBeaufort/media/image_zpsqptznzcq.jpg.html/img

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Brist ... g.jpg.html

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Brist ... q.jpg.html

Happy modelling
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:57 pm 

Brizo65 wrote:
Hi All,
Well as I've said I've made a start on the Pontos set. Now I'd like to ask is there any specific way that I fit the wooden deck?. I've removed the moulded bits&bobs from the kit deck and levelled it all off. This is my first wood deck I've fitted! So any advice before I go ahead a fit the deck would be of great help as I don't want to fluff it!!!!!!!. Oh and my paint came today from sovereign. So do I paint before or after?? the deck goes on??. Many thanks in advance of any info. Brian...

I suggest putting the deck on after paining the hull. It's one of the last things I do if possible. I haven't started my Hood yet, however have built the 1/200 & 1/350 scale Bismarck kits with Pontos as well as a number of other kits with Pontos. They suggest spraying water onto the deck and glue side of the deck to allow a bit of slip. I didn't find it helped much. More important is to place the wooden deck over say the barbets and work from there. It's important to get the deck on straight.
slow and steady.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:03 am 

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for your reply and insight into the kit.
I have kinda been biased towards a wooden deck, but your ship looks excellent and very encouraging.
Will take your advice.
Ta. :4)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:15 pm 

HI guys, Im modelling the Hood in 1/700 now. My question is the lower hull. An eyewitness from PoW in hearings described the color of the bottom of the ships hull when it was upturned as "blackish". Specifically referring to the underside when answering a question from the enquiry. So, can it actually have a blackish bottom, while retaining normal albeit worn to some extent antifouling paint on sides of the hull below waterline otherwise? The ship hasnt been drydocked for what, 9 months before it was sunk? How much of paint could have gone "blackish"?

Some say eyewitness is wrong and he saw the bottom of the hull covered in oil and black as a result. Makes sense or ... Id think youd see red if it was red even if there was oil.

So help me a bit with this, I really wanna get the painting right, please.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:23 am 
pascal,
Try this one: http://hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tips/hoodpaint.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:02 am 

Yet another Hood question - regarding the letters H O O D affixed to the admiral's quarters
facing the stern. What colour were they?. Black, white, even dark grey. Does anyone know?.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 am 

For the 1940+ version, black or dark grey. Incidentally provided in the link in the post above you :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am 

EJFoeth wrote:
For the 1940+ version, black or dark grey. Incidentally provided in the link in the post above you :wave_1:

Yes indeed...if we know the colour of something, it will be posted there.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 am 

Silly me. Should have remembered. :bash_2:
Intend to paint letters, but showing polished brass would look terrific.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:11 am 

Guys, any good pics of HMS Hood anchor hawse pipes in the hull? How the actual holes look like? I mean closeups of the actual ship?

I am building mine in 1/700 and it calls for drilling those out. Which I did. But how should the hollow one appear (one without anchor)? Was there some dummy cover? There is a cover on the deck, and the covers for used anchors are missing I suppose? Very unclear but this is an important part of the model / and I wanna get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:54 am 

I am both beyond annoyed that these images have probably been on the IWM site for some time now and have not been properly marked as HMS Hood (pics of HMS Prince of Wales similarly well hidden) as well as quite excited that image #2 may be the first half-decent shot of the rear of the spotting top after the type 284 gunnery radar was fitted. I've been on the lookout for such pics for many years. Unfortunately the IWM no longer supports user comments, so other discoveries will soon be lost, again...

THE VISIT OF HIS MAJESTY THE KING TO ROSYTH. 5 MARCH 1941.. © IWM (A 3369)IWM Non Commercial Licence

THE VISIT OF HIS MAJESTY THE KING TO ROSYTH. 5 MARCH 1941.. © IWM (A 3370)IWM Non Commercial Licence

THE VISIT OF HIS MAJESTY THE KING TO ROSYTH. 5 MARCH 1941.. © IWM (A 3372)IWM Non Commercial Licence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:58 pm 

Wow, EJ that is also the best (or only) pic of the aft 4 inch gun mount as well!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:45 am 

Indeed! I never had any doubt what it looked liked following the detective work of Frank Allen. The picture also shows the small platform connecting the 4" emplacement and the X-turret; I thought that platform was connected to the 4" emplacement but not so. The third picture only shows some deck detail (that's already on my model). I ordered the first two images from the IWM to have a better look... I hope we can now finally solve the mystery of the forward yardarm brace on the spotting top.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:32 am 

Hi All

Hi Evert-Jan thanks for those they are a big help! In image 3370 I'm wondering what the object is on Y turret that is on the turret side seen just in front of the rangefinder, it appears to be a bracket attached to the roof and side with a round spigot sticking out from it.

Something to do with the refit?

Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:57 am 

Awning hook I'd say (already added to my little turret). Present in nearly all pics (not during construction)

Attachment:
D-turret_thingy.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:58 pm 

An interesting thing about X turret in the top photo is that the angles on the sides which I had previously assumed were where the plates joined seem to actually be thicker pieces of armour, perhaps a kind of applique. They seem to stand out from the side and taper upwards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:32 pm 

Wow...! What a find EJ... thank you!!!

:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:11 am 

Hi All

Hi Mr Livingston thanks for that, I will add them to my model and have a quick look at A turret too!

Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 am 

Question about the booms on HMS Hood in 1941 fit.

1) three booms on her forward superstructure (sides). Were they wood or gray color? If wood / which wood color?

2) 50ft booms on the ships hull used to tend to boats etc. Were they also gray or wood? Were they on Hood when she put out to sea to meet Bismarck?

In some models the 50ft booms I see are gray, some brown. Smaller 3 part ones are always brown... Im confused. Also, did they keep the 50ft one at all as Trumpeter doesnt model it, but models the ones on superstructure.

What do you guys think?

Nick Dogger's excellent HMS Hood has a gray one on hull, brown on superstructure. But it is a ship in port. http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... OD_030.jpg

Jan Varga excellent Hood has them all in brown / and his lifeboats are covered which is another question on its own (do you cover ALL or just some as he has done?) http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

So which Boom arrangement is recommended?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 am 

The best place to look for answers to questions related to HOOD is the Hood Association website at http://www.hmshood.com/. To quote from the "As sunk" section of the "Paint Schemes of H.M.S. Hood, 1920-1941" page on that site, "The main derrick (attached to the main mast) and the booms mounted amidships port & starboard were definitely painted hull colour. There were other booms (located in clusters of 3 on the sides of the forward superstructure) that were indeed plain wood. This has all been proven by the colour wartime footage of Hood from late 1940."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 59  Next