The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Does it open inward?

Opening inwards would be a poor design for a protective door because it would be difficult to support the door from inside against being bashed in by a shell hit if the door normally opens inwards. A door that opens outwards can be supported on the inside by a strong ledge around the door.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm 

If one looks at the armored doors on the various levels of the Iowa's conning tower they open outward and are tapered such that they are somewhat cone shaped to add solidarity. Another aspect is that the coning towers are quite cramped and an inward opening door would take up quite a bit of space.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:14 pm 

I understand that. I was just offering the alternative, as poor a choice as it might be, since no door made utterly no sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:32 pm 

I suppose that one could simply have no door and a plate baffle to keep splinters out? Certainly if the Admiral or captain wanted to pop out for a better view no armored door dogged down would facilitate this.

Totally submitted without any information!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 pm 

There are several photos in the book Foeth recommended that clearly shows the door sized and shaped opening at the back of conning tower taken during the ship’s construction. One was taken when the ship seems essentially complete. No where is there any hint whatsoever that there is a door, or any sign of any hinge on the outside suggesting and outward swinging door is intended.

There seems to be three possibilities:

1. There really is no door. I find that almost impossible to believe. A interior screen to keep out fragments is possible, but a practical interior screen tight enough to keep out blast of nearby hit, or screen solid enough to offer protection equivalent to the 11” armor of the rest of conning tower wall is something I find hard to imagine,

2. There is an inward swinging door. Possible. But why? There is plenty of space for a door there to swing outwards at that level, and an inward swinging door has all the space utilization and impact support problems mentioned above.

3. There is an door that does not rely on an external hinge and somehow swing in a way that still allows the comming and frame around the door to support it against being pushed in by a shell hit. I regard that as the most likely possibility. Maybe the door swings outwards out of sight of foeth’s Photo on swing arms?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:33 am 

I have only a handfull of images showing the rear of the conning tower, but those that do all show an opening and never a door hinged on the outside.

Attachment:
C2.jpg
C2.jpg [ 10.54 KiB | Viewed 742 times ]

Attachment:
C3.jpg
C3.jpg [ 55.59 KiB | Viewed 742 times ]

Attachment:
C4.jpg
C4.jpg [ 11.74 KiB | Viewed 742 times ]

The 2nd one doesn't show an all-black area; might be a door on the inside?

Edit: Original plans:

Attachment:
C5.jpg
C5.jpg [ 228.02 KiB | Viewed 737 times ]

Note that tiny sliding doors on the inside are indicated but nothing for the opening in the rear of the conning tower.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:31 am 

I looked at the plans in AOTS. It appears hood’s armored conning tower at this level is really a nested armor tube structure, not a single armored box. The armored admiral’s tower, 5.5 inch control tower and 15” control tower on the level above extend downwards to the floor of this level to form an inner armored tube inside the 11” external armored enclosure, The exterior door way on the outer armor enclosure opens immediately towards the back of that inner armored tube.

This inner armored tube should offer significant protection for personnel inside the outer enclosure against shrapnel’s and fragments entering the outer enclosure doorway.

The inner armored tube probably affords blast protection for personnel in the admiral’s tower, 5.5 inch control tower and 15” control tower as well, but not for personnel between the inner tube and outer enclosure, such as the helm position at the forward end of the outer enclosure.

There does not appear to be sufficient space between the outer armor enclosure wall and inner armor tube to facilitate an inward swinging armored door.

So hood’s armored conning tower is really a largely enclosed armored shelter with a stronger inner keep, not a single fully enclosed armored box like on the Iowa.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:54 pm 

Also notice that the armor thickness in the drawing appears to be thinner aft. A common design feature with barbettes etc as hits would be extremely oblique or a shell would already be fused and maybe tumbling from passing through extensive structure if from further aft.

The ease of ingress/egress from the scenario proposed earlier would be an advantage. However a lot of weight involved in the larger diameter! Hood was not a treaty ship.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:27 pm 

Yeah, i’ve Read the British paid a lot of attention to the design of capital ship bridge structure between start of WWI and WWII. One of the requirement was for the admiral to be able quickly get a view directly astern to keep tabs on progress of any fleet or squadron maneuver. So maybe the open doorway is designed to let the admirably frequent the open walkway on either side of the base of tripod mast behind the conning tower during battle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:40 am 
SOME OTHER THOUGHTS ON THIS CONNING TOWER DOOR ISSUE.
THERE IS A QUITE CLEAR PICTURE OF HOOD UNDER CONSTRUCTION ( TAKEN FROM A CRANE?) CLEARLY SHOWING AN OPENING AT THE REAR OF THE CONNING TOWER BUT NO ACTUAL DOOR.ADMITTEDLY THE SHIP IS NOT FINISHED, THE GUNS ARE STILL UNCOVERED, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE A DOORWAY TO ME.
ALSO THERE IS A PICTURE OF HOOD MOORED ALONGSIDE SOMEWHERE WITH LOTS OF CROWDS SIGHTSEEING ( AUSTRALIA MAYBE?) AGAIN SHOWING WHAT LOOKS LIKE AN OPEN DOORWAY BUT NO ACTUAL DOOR. SEEMS QUITE CLEAR CUT TO ME NOW, SO THAT`S WHAT I WILL DO WHEN I GET ROUND TO IT.
STILL SEEMS QUITE ODD THOUGH!!
CHEERS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:53 am 

Is there a list of the inaccuracies in the trumpeter 1/200 Hood? I’m curious to see how bad they really are.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:54 am 

http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models ... ter200.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 pm 

The hull is their least inaccurate in 1/200 kit i’ve Tries so far. Better than Bismarck, far better than Missouri.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:36 am 

chuck wrote:
The hull is their least inaccurate in 1/200 kit i’ve Tries so far. Better than Bismarck, far better than Missouri.

I know hey have issues. I don’t display my ship models next to a set of blueprints though, and I’m not a rivet counter, at least not anymore. As long as a model captures the spirit of the original, and is around 85% accuracy, I’m happy with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:48 am 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
chuck wrote:

I know hey have issues. I don’t display my ship models next to a set of blueprints though, and I’m not a rivet counter, at least not anymore. As long as a model captures the spirit of the original, and is around 85% accuracy, I’m happy with that.

It’s 85% accurate, maybe even 95% accurate. It looks like hood in 1941, there are no really jarring errors.

However there are many minor errors and oversights, some are easy to correct, some of which would be challenging to correct without fairly significant scratch building.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:59 pm 

chuck wrote:

It’s 85% accurate, maybe even 95% accurate. It looks like hood in 1941, there are no really jarring errors.

However there are many minor errors and oversights, some are easy to correct, some of which would be challenging to correct without fairly significant scratch building.

I’m happy with results like that for all my ship models. In my mind a scale model isn’t supposed to be spot on to the original subject matter anyways. It is an artistic impression of something real, with artistic liberties taken by its creator to reflect his or her’s own liking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:51 pm 

Gallery entries on page 1 updated

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:43 am 

Quick question, never seen it asked nor, after a bit of research, can I find the answer myself.

Underside of shelter-deck (boat-deck, Trumpeter's 'up-deck') colour?

Hull or white?

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:53 am 

I have one good shot (that I cannot share) that shows the support pillars in this area (below the boat crutches) and these pillars are partially white. The contrast shows the ceiling to be hull colour.

Last edited by EJFoeth on Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:56 am 

EJ, you are a star!

Shame really would have made a nice contrast in that area!

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next