The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 159  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:22 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53HYKiwu8V4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:33 pm 

Senkan wrote:

Beautiful work ... except for the GLARING error in leaving the crane tower on her stern. The caption to the video touts this as being a reconstruction of Yamato as of April 7, 1945. Except - that it isn't. The crane tower was removed before Operation Ten-Ichi-Go so as not to obstruct the firing radius of main Turret#3.

So, of course, I had to leave him a comment. :big_grin: I do hope he reads it.

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:53 am 

bucketfoot-al wrote:
Senkan wrote:

Beautiful work ... except for the GLARING error in leaving the crane tower on her stern. The caption to the video touts this as being a reconstruction of Yamato as of April 7, 1945. Except - that it isn't. The crane tower was removed before Operation Ten-Ichi-Go so as not to obstruct the firing radius of main Turret#3.

So, of course, I had to leave him a comment. :big_grin: I do hope he reads it.

yeah, that was to be expected :big_grin:

Glad to see the 3D render moving. I have the book as well and such a great source. Did you mention something about the open 25mm shields as well? I always thought the Yamato's open 25mm AA guns didn't have these, but the model does. I can be wrong though ^^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:24 pm 

New pic of Musashi: This is an amazing find!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:51 pm 

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:
New pic of Musashi: This is an amazing find!

Yes, thanks you beat me to it. It popped up on Facebook a couple of days ago and I already have it up on the website.

It was revealed and displayed at the Yamato Museum in Kure. Details as to where/when it was taken to follow per info at the museum (I am told).

Based on the configuration of the deck, one of the commenters speculated as follows:

"Some indications (are) that this picture was shot between 4 September 1942 and December 1943: The top of the Main Rangefinder is painted white, and you can see that the Type 21 Radar is installed on the Main Rangefinder. This Refit including repainting the Top of the Main Rangefinder .. white was done on .. 3 September 1942. The Top of this Rangefinder was repainted to the original Grey at the End of December 1943. So this picture COULD NOT (have been) shot during her trials."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:53 pm 

BTW, for those of you on Facebook - this is the IJN group I was referring to above - it would be worth your while joining. All kinds of useful info and IJN photos posted there regularly:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1523645204325116/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:33 pm 

There is some discussion on the J-ships board leaning towards the photo having been taken during a Feb 22, 1944 transport mission.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:24 am 

Dan K wrote:
There is some discussion on the J-ships board leaning towards the photo having been taken during a Feb 22, 1944 transport mission.

As I stated in some FB Groups, you can see the Type 21 Radar on the Main Rangefinder.
This Refit was done on September 3th 1942. And the white Top of the Main Rangefinder was repainted to grey at the end of 1943 (Sources: Skulskis Battleships Yamato and Musashi, and different pictures in some of my collected books and maganzines).
So this picture was taken between Early September 1942 and December 1943.

The discussion on the J-ships board about "Feb 22 1944" is obsolete!

Some interesting things about this new picture:
The forward main Turrets and the forward 15,5cm Turret (No.1) are aligned together with the 10m Rangefinder of the aft tower (lightly to starboard).
The No.2 and No.4 15,5 cm Turrets and the three port 12,7cm High Angle Twin Guns are aligned into one direction.

Imho I think that they made some Gunnery Practice (without shooting) against aircrafts, or some tests. For example: Main Rangefinder is out of action; switch to second Rangefinder.

Another interesting part is, that you can see two little Clouds of smoke in front of the Bow. Perhaps another indication of a simulated Attack by Aircrafts.

Just my 2 Cents!

Christian van der Sanden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:21 am 

Well, the photo is taken from an aircraft.

Quote:
The discussion on the J-ships board about "Feb 22 1944" is obsolete!

I don't know about that. She is clearly loaded with freight midships aft the 15.5cm mount and aft. The midships freight could be automotive in nature.

"15 February 1944:
At 1225, arrives at Yokosuka. That evening MUSASHI commences embarkation of ammunition, provisions and fuel for the garrison of Palau. Some 40 Isuzu and Nissan trucks are embarked on the afterdeck. Crated 60-kg and 250-kg aerial bombs and torpedoes intended for the Palau-based 751st NAG, as well as boxes of 12.7-mm AA ammunition are loaded to the foredeck. Gasoline drums are accommodated on the middle deck. The transfer of cargo continues until 24 February.

22 February 1944:
Yokosuka. MUSASHI embarks the 300-strong IJN 87th AA Defense Unit, a 100-strong Army unit and other personnel, including some IJN staff officers destined for reassignment to Palau.:"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:34 am 

I fiddled with the contrast and lightness:

Attachments:
Musashi, Feb 22, 1944 transport mission sm.jpg
Musashi, Feb 22, 1944 transport mission sm.jpg [ 371.81 KiB | Viewed 8624 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:51 am 

amazing new find!!! :woo_hoo:

is it just me or are the main guns painted in a darker colour than the turret? the after guns look really dark vs the turret. it could be just shading though.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:53 am 

Dan K wrote:
I fiddled with the contrast and lightness:

If this is in fact the February 1944 transport mission, that would seem to date between 22-29 February, btw 1944 was a leap year.

-David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:59 am 

cplchanb wrote:
amazing new find!!! :woo_hoo:

is it just me or are the main guns painted in a darker colour than the turret? the after guns look really dark vs the turret. it could be just shading though.....

I agree...though the forward guns are the same shade as their turrets, so I think it might just be shading.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 am 
If you ask me, the #3 main turret's (visible) barrel is definitely black or very, very dark grey. What if that turret was fitted with new barrel(s), not yet painted?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:17 pm 

Lars Ahlberg has been in touch with the Yamato Museum, and they are of the opinion that the photo more likely taken in January, 1943.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:57 am 

Dan K wrote:
Lars Ahlberg has been in touch with the Yamato Museum, and they are of the opinion that the photo more likely taken in January, 1943.

yea, probably taken after 22nd of jan.´43. She perfomed a practice with torpedoe planes, but the Museum is not fully sure of the exact date of the shot, yet. Suppose the black colored stufs are provisions, these might have been offloaded when arrriving on the 22nd and the deck ought to be empty. My assumption is Musahi is quite near to the port, then, toepedoe planes came flying over, for the practice. If so, the pic must have been taken on the very day of 22nd.

cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:27 am 

Hi sailors,

I am currently finishing a Yamato model project. I am currently working on the stern and was wondering where the stern anchor(s) of the Yamato was (were)?

I always though she had only one anchor on port below the flight deckt at the stern. That's how it is amongst others on pics of the Yamato museum in Kure. However, while investigating, I saw a lot of models who had the stern anchor only starboard or even on both sides. I could't find historical pictures from the starboard stern side of the Yamato (anybody?).

Attachment:
Yamato-stern-kure-museum.jpg
Yamato-stern-kure-museum.jpg [ 63.74 KiB | Viewed 12194 times ]

Anybody knows how it was and what is correct?

Would really help me to finish my project. Thanks guys,

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:05 am 

There is a photo of Yamato at anchor at Truk in 1943 taken from her aft starboard quarter. I know its in the KMM book. Looks like there might be something there. Will try to remember to scan it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:13 pm 

JackSix wrote:
Hi sailors,

I am currently finishing a Yamato model project. I am currently working on the stern and was wondering where the stern anchor(s) of the Yamato was (were)?

I always though she had only one anchor on port below the flight deckt at the stern. That's how it is amongst others on pics of the Yamato museum in Kure. However, while investigating, I saw a lot of models who had the stern anchor only starboard or even on both sides. I could't find historical pictures from the starboard stern side of the Yamato (anybody?).

Attachment:
Yamato-stern-kure-museum.jpg

Anybody knows how it was and what is correct?

Would really help me to finish my project. Thanks guys,

Jack

Super Illustration Battleship Yamato NO. 745
Page 27:
"Stern anchors
The stern anchors are about half the size of the main anchor. On the starboard is a medium anchor and one of the port is a little smaller"

And in Skulskis actual book there are anchors on both sides of the stern, too!

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:55 pm 
Recently I am studying the shape of Musashi's crew ready room (兵员待机室) which is allegedly different from Yamato's. By editing the contrast of the screenshot of "Musashi expedition" , I think we could see a cube under the flag deck. It should be the crew ready room (兵员待机室). Let's talk about the details!

[img]https://twitter.com/Donginging/status/1162670920055443456?s=20/img]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 159  Next