The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:21 pm 

Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Would anyone happen to know or guess at what the object that in in front of the port secondary mount is? A mooring buoy?

Back to the earlier question - I haven't been following this thread for awhile. If the photo was taken during trials, chances are that it is a water tank. IJN ships were known to run trials with them to ensure that the displacement, trim, and GM matched normal operating figures when testing performance. When the ships became operational, they would have full ammo and fuel loads, and the water tanks would be removed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:32 pm 

Dick J wrote:
Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Would anyone happen to know or guess at what the object that in in front of the port secondary mount is? A mooring buoy?

Back to the earlier question - I haven't been following this thread for awhile. If the photo was taken during trials, chances are that it is a water tank. IJN ships were known to run trials with them to ensure that the displacement, trim, and GM matched normal operating figures when testing performance. When the ships became operational, they would have full ammo and fuel loads, and the water tanks would be removed.

I nominate your post for the "Informative Post of The Day" award. :thumbs_up_1:

This is something I never knew before that puts the relevant photo in a completely different light. :thanks:

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:52 pm 

Quote:
Well, that's why I put all 35 new photos in - AT THE VERY END. :big_grin: (Cause I'm an EXPERT at human nature. :cool_1: )

See, I knew I could count on you.

Btw, this one may be worth adding. Unfortunately, I don't have a hi-rez version. This is post Leyte Gulf, back at Brunei. Yamato is in the lower right.

Attachments:
IJN Force A Fleet Brunei Bay Borneo NEI 7th Nov 1944 photo by B-24 90th BG.jpg
IJN Force A Fleet Brunei Bay Borneo NEI 7th Nov 1944 photo by B-24 90th BG.jpg [ 149.52 KiB | Viewed 4935 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:09 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Quote:
Well, that's why I put all 35 new photos in - AT THE VERY END. :big_grin: (Cause I'm an EXPERT at human nature. :cool_1: )

See, I knew I could count on you.

Btw, this one may be worth adding. Unfortunately, I don't have a hi-rez version. This is post Leyte Gulf, back at Brunei. Yamato is in the lower right.

THANK YOU!!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: (Though you are QUITE mistaken :heh: ... because when I clicked on the photo it opened up HUGE!!! Easy to make out the ships and the identification scribbled on the photo) ...

... so these are the remnants of the Imperial Fleet after their massacre at Leyte .... licking their wounds before heading home ... something a little pathetic about the picture ....

Oh yes - I will DEFINITELY be adding it to the gallery!! :cool_2: :good_job: :thanks:

P.S. Here is my "cut and paste" of "Our Girl" from the photo:

Attachments:
Test 1.jpg
Test 1.jpg [ 30.49 KiB | Viewed 4918 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:13 pm 

Big thanks today are also due to Christian van der Sanden, who graciously took the time to send me a quite thorough list of additional info on ship and location ID for many, many photos on the Yamato Web Gallery. He also helped me to correct several of the Yamato/Musashi deck & superstructure diagrams.

The site is now as "ship shape" as its ever been - and I appreciate the input given to me over the years by all other enthusiasts and historians to help me fill in the details.

I invite you once again to come on over and peruse the dozens of new additions just made to the Gallery over the weekend. :big_grin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160