The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 159  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:37 pm 

What’s the best 1/700 Yamato kit, preferably as she was commissioned in late 1941/early 1942?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:53 pm 

vds242 wrote:
JackSix wrote:
Hi sailors,

I am currently finishing a Yamato model project. I am currently working on the stern and was wondering where the stern anchor(s) of the Yamato was (were)?

I always though she had only one anchor on port below the flight deckt at the stern. That's how it is amongst others on pics of the Yamato museum in Kure. However, while investigating, I saw a lot of models who had the stern anchor only starboard or even on both sides. I could't find historical pictures from the starboard stern side of the Yamato (anybody?).

Attachment:
Yamato-stern-kure-museum.jpg

Anybody knows how it was and what is correct?

Would really help me to finish my project. Thanks guys,

Jack

Super Illustration Battleship Yamato NO. 745
Page 27:
"Stern anchors
The stern anchors are about half the size of the main anchor. On the starboard is a medium anchor and one of the port is a little smaller"

And in Skulskis actual book there are anchors on both sides of the stern, too!

Chris

The stern anchors (called sheet anchors) were hold over from the concepts of seamanship born during the age of sails. Sheet anchors have very little use in large steam powered ships. In fact many other countries (such as the US and UK) have completely abandoned sheet anchors right after WWI.

Yamato, like most other WWII battleship, undoubtedly gained considerable weight as the war progressed. It would be perfectly expected for the Japanese to jettison one or both of Yamato's essentially useless sheet anchors as war progressed as a gimme weight saving measure to compensate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:27 am 

EVERYBODY - FYI:

I have just completed the most major update of the Yamato/Musashi Gallery in 10 years with dozens of new, high resolution archive photos that show much more detail. Some of the photos replaced older, low res photos, some were added next to the old photos, and some are brand new - including 4 REAL COLOR photos of Yamato under attack during Leyte Gulf (OK, OK, I know they're taken from 8 miles up, so don't drop your drink!!) :rolf_3:

Anyways ... take your time, peruse and enjoy. :cool_1:

http://WWW.BATTLESHIPYAMATO.COM

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 pm 

Due to recent surgery, I'm unable to do much building right now. One thing I AM doing until I get my arm back is to go through my various unbuilt kits (see what I have, what I have aftermarket parts for etc.). its slow going with just one useable arm

Unfortunately, I'm finding that in some cases, the assembly instructions have disappeared (damn gremlins). For some ships (well, Hood anyway) its no problem. For others, I'm up a certain creek without a rowing implement. This includes a certain Sumo wrestler of a ship...

With this in mind, would someone be willing to photograph the instructions for the post '98 Tamiya 1/700 waterline Yamato? I seem to have lost the instructions and painting instructions (but I do have various bits of aftermarket photoetch!). I bought the kit back in '98 and never did much with it...except lose the instructions!

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:47 pm 

Frank, Hobby Search has them in beautiful high-rez, but double check the parts numbers to make sure it's the same kit: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10001802

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:56 am 

Timmy C wrote:
Frank, Hobby Search has them in beautiful high-rez, but double check the parts numbers to make sure it's the same kit: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10001802

Excellent! That is indeed the correct version/release. Many thanks for your help Timmy!

All the best,

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm 

Have a question about the aerial and crane tower in 1945.

In American photos of the mission this crane tower is absent and I have heard it speculated that the tower was removed to increase the arc of the AA on the stern. If this was such a design flaw then why did they wait 3 years to remove it? That long aerial was vital for coms to my understanding. It doesn't seem like something you would sacrifice idly when your crew has been trained to compensate for it.

My theory is that Kure removed it to salvage the metal to get other systems in working order. Contrary to the long belief that Yamato was sent on a suicide mission, I have read that the engineers did everything they could to get the ship in top condition. Even read that the quartermaster that was ordered to only fill the Yamato with enough fuel for a one way trip, topped it off because he didn't agree with the orders.

Still an odd thing to sacrifice though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 pm 

EpsilonZer0 wrote:
Have a question about the aerial and crane tower in 1945.

In American photos of the mission this crane tower is absent and I have heard it speculated that the tower was removed to increase the arc of the AA on the stern. If this was such a design flaw then why did they wait 3 years to remove it? That long aerial was vital for coms to my understanding. It doesn't seem like something you would sacrifice idly when your crew has been trained to compensate for it.

My theory is that Kure removed it to salvage the metal to get other systems in working order. Contrary to the long belief that Yamato was sent on a suicide mission, I have read that the engineers did everything they could to get the ship in top condition. Even read that the quartermaster that was ordered to only fill the Yamato with enough fuel for a one way trip, topped it off because he didn't agree with the orders.

Still an odd thing to sacrifice though.

The Emperor wanted to know what the navy was doing to stop America. The army and air forces were fighting but the navy wasn't. So the admirals sacrificed Yamato.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 pm 

For Big Y as lost, we're talking overall Kure grey with black funnel top & mast right?

I've gone through tons of past posts and see conflicting info on decks though. What's the latest consensus (assuming there is one) on decks? Was the flight deck unpainted concrete, some different non-slip coating, or was it painted the same color as rest of ship? I see the linoleum strip areas as being sometimes linoleum brown and sometimes grey...what's up with that? Lastly, any updates on the wooden decks - unpainted but greyed wood or stained (rather re-stained) with soot/oil/stain? I'm assuming this last one is still a point of contention. The decks look dark in the last photos, but they could just be wet of course. I see white markings at various stations as well. Can anyone shed any light on number and locations?

Any appreciation is much appreciated. You see, this is a one-off and I really would like to avoid buying a book or books that will sit unused (I must save my shelf space for my dear 7Bs/Hood of course!). Many thanks in advance!

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:19 am 
Hello,

Does the New Yamato Super Detail-up DX Pack worth it for the "Premium" Tamiya Yamato ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:21 am 

Do you mean the new-tool 1/350 kit? I can't find any Tamiya Yamato kit that's officially marketed as "premium" (except for a 2011 1/700 kit that's premium only because of the boxart), so it's somewhat confusing as to which kit you're referring.

In any case, the 1/350 kit(s) do not come with a full set of PE and brass parts, so if you want those details, yes, it is worth it to get some aftermarket options.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 am 

dul wrote:
Hello,

Does the New Yamato Super Detail-up DX Pack worth it for the "Premium" Tamiya Yamato ?

I assume you are talking about the Mk1 kit. It is made the for the Tamiya "Premium" Yamato 78025 only.
But honestly it is inferior to the Pontos "Advanced" PE kit and the Lion Roar. Both of those kits offer much more and also do some things better than the other that I have seen some hardcore rivet counters mix the two. The Mk1 is also priced too high for what you get and the instructions are no better than Pontos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:03 am 
EpsilonZer0 wrote:
I assume you are talking about the Mk1 kit. It is made the for the Tamiya "Premium" Yamato 78025 only.
But honestly it is inferior to the Pontos "Advanced" PE kit and the Lion Roar. Both of those kits offer much more and also do some things better than the other that I have seen some hardcore rivet counters mix the two. The Mk1 is also priced too high for what you get and the instructions are no better than Pontos.

Yep, it was about the Mk1 kit. Thanks for your answer, I'll see the Pontos and Lion !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:22 pm 

FW_Allen wrote:
For Big Y as lost, we're talking overall Kure grey with black funnel top & mast right?

I've gone through tons of past posts and see conflicting info on decks though. What's the latest consensus (assuming there is one) on decks? Was the flight deck unpainted concrete, some different non-slip coating, or was it painted the same color as rest of ship? I see the linoleum strip areas as being sometimes linoleum brown and sometimes grey...what's up with that? Lastly, any updates on the wooden decks - unpainted but greyed wood or stained (rather re-stained) with soot/oil/stain? I'm assuming this last one is still a point of contention. The decks look dark in the last photos, but they could just be wet of course. I see white markings at various stations as well. Can anyone shed any light on number and locations?

Does anyone have any info on this?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:55 pm 

FW_Allen wrote:
FW_Allen wrote:

Does anyone have any info on this?

Not sure about the concrete deck - But every Japanese reconstruction I've seen has them painted gray.

For the wood decks - despite the sometimes conflicting 'theories' and posts - I have as close to definitive information as we can ever find (as I always post when this comes up), to wit:

Mitsuru Yoshida (writing in 1946) states plainly in "Requiem for Battleship Yamato" that her decks were painted "JET BLACK" for the final mission. Later on in the book he comments on the grotesque appearance of her decks after repeated bombs and bullets had torn the decks apart exposing the wood.

So the wood decks should be painted black. The concrete should be (presumably) the same gray as the hull color. Can't go wrong with those choices. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:51 pm 

He also said the water was jet black. Why hasn't anyone else said they were painted black in 1945? I would need verification before I painted it black. A wet graying deck could look black at an angle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:24 pm 

Senkan wrote:
He also said the water was jet black. Why hasn't anyone else said they were painted black in 1945? I would need verification before I painted it black. A wet graying deck could look black at an angle.

As with all modelers, what shade you use is up to you. When I built my Nichimo custom Yamato way back in 2007, I painted the decks wood color - which they presumably WERE - until they were painted (or smudged?) some shade of black for the final mission....

As far as the water looking black, well, it was an overcast day in the middle of the ocean. I'd say it was probably a good description ... especially when the survivors were bobbing up and down covered in thick oil ....

... anyway, its your choice ... there's no right or wrong answer ... :cool_2:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:52 pm 

Thank you gentlemen. This information definitely helps!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:46 pm 

For what it is worth (not much, really) there are some photos of Yamato's final mission where the wooden decks look a bit darker than the non-wood decks, and some photos where the wooden decks look a bit lighter. However, I have seen some photos where the black on the funnel is clearly darker than the wooden deck, so for that reason my opinion is that decks were not black black, but maybe just darkened. Of course, photos can always be deceptive...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 pm 

I dislike Lion Roar AA guns because they are all flat PE. Even the barrel are edged out of flat copper sheet. When assembled they look like something out of miniature pop up book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 159  Next