The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 159  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:27 pm 

Thanks - But I finished my Nichimo in 2009 and am done with it (I got the metal Konishi main turrets for it). Not telling how much that cost :big_grin: , but ... it was before Resellers did his custom turrets ... that's how I was able to send my old plastic turrets to him ...

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:00 pm 

For those seeking some 1/200 main turrets, Fujimi has released a complete set of three with full barbette details: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10462378

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:10 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
MartinJQuinn wrote:
Started adding gallery entries to the first page. More to come!

More entries added!

Additional entries added

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 pm 

Some Yamato class questions:

Which is the best kit of each ship as commissioned? In any scale, though would prefer 1/700 as a smaller kit to make quickly.

Does anyone have a good resource of how the bridge structures of both ships changed over the years?

Which stern is correct? When Mr Allen's team discovered Musashi, did they go over this area? Both Kure 1/10 and Skulski are different to the rounded sterns on the older models. Are any kits as accurate as at least the Kure 1/10?

Is the end of the bow of the new Tamiya 1/350 Yamato less wide at the deck level than the old kit? IIRC when Tamiya updated their 1/700 Yamato, they made the bow more narrow, did they do it for the bigger kit too?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 am 

Guys, purely from war record perspective, which of the Yamato class do you think deserves MORE to be built? Musashi or Yamato? Im gonna take a stab at building one of these down the road, but war record wise, which was more distinguished? Visually Musashi with its blacked out deck appeals to me quite a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:24 am 

pascalemod wrote:
Guys, purely from war record perspective, which of the Yamato class do you think deserves MORE to be built? Musashi or Yamato? Im gonna take a stab at building one of these down the road, but war record wise, which was more distinguished? Visually Musashi with its blacked out deck appeals to me quite a bit.

Oh Good God! (Calming down).

Son, get yourself to my Yamato/Musashi website, and all your questions will be answered!! (See the link below my sig). :rolf_3:

The short answer: YAMATO. She sank 3 ships during the Battle of Leyte Gulf (USS Gambier Bay, USS Johnston, USS Hoel), and executed the longest hit in naval history (19.6 miles on the USS White Plains).

P.S. Yamato's deck was painted "jet black" during her final mission according to Yoshida Mitsuru (who should have known ... because he was on her bridge during the entire final battle).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm 

bucketfoot-al wrote:
pascalemod wrote:

Oh Good God! (Calming down).

Son, get yourself to my Yamato/Musashi website, and all your questions will be answered!! (See the link below my sig). :rolf_3:

The short answer: YAMATO. She sank 3 ships during the Battle of Leyte Gulf (USS Gambier Bay, USS Johnston, USS Hoel), and executed the longest hit in naval history (19.6 miles on the USS White Plains).

P.S. Yamato's deck was painted "jet black" during her final mission according to Yoshida Mitsuru (who should have known ... because he was on her bridge during the entire final battle).

:thumbs_up_1: :heh:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 pm 
pascalemod wrote:

strangely enough i think i prefer Musashi, she looked better with fewer guns along her hull side and none on her turrets..... less cluttered and cleaner looking, but i suppose you're better off building both and they deffo look much nastier with the black deck

there's only one thing that spoils my Hasegawa new tool yamato......the rigging, i won't bother next time, because unless you're going to get it perfect, it'll always look wrong............my rigging has started to sag it looks awful now but the hull etc looks brilliant

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:10 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXwQle-_bWI
A very nice video is posted by Ame on youtube showing a comparison of the 3 new tooled 1/700 IJN Yamato's in the market(Aoshima, Fujimi and Pit-Road).

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:17 am 

Thanks, Atma. Really nice video, although not providing an answer to the most trivial question: which one is the best?
Let´s hope someone will do a complex comparison one day.

Prep stage: USS Vincennes CA-44 | HMAS Australia | Yubari | Kako

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:52 pm 

https://youtu.be/MtI7uTXM8Cw

In that note
Another amazing build with world of warship camo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:40 am 

This might be useful to someone. At the top of this page there is a "3D" rotatable model of Yamato. Shows the rigging. There are other models as well.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Yamato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 pm 

Unfortunately, the 3D model linked above has an outdated reconstruction of the AA deck gun configuration. Here is what it should look like, based on the latest research and wreck surveying:

Attachments:
Yamato ten go1945 c.jpg
Yamato ten go1945 c.jpg [ 143.65 KiB | Viewed 4151 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:23 am 

I'm somewhat confused at the moment btw: I have the latest Skulski book on Yamato and Musashi and I am currently building Yamato. I always thought that the triple 25mm guns had no gun shields, but the book shows drawings with shields added. I don't think the Kure model has the shielded versions either, can anyone confirm that they didn't have shields?

And the World of Warships Yamato isn't quite a very correct rendition perhaps, but it is fun to play with ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:25 pm 

Well it's been a very long time since I've worked on anything. I'm really wanting to finish my Yamato wreck. I however have lost interest in my complete progressive dio I had planned.I have been looking around for submersibles that have surveyed the wreck and I can't find any info on them. Do any of you great people have any information or better yet pictures of them? I do appreciate any help you can lend!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:18 pm 

prowannab wrote:
Well it's been a very long time since I've worked on anything. I'm really wanting to finish my Yamato wreck. I however have lost interest in my complete progressive dio I had planned.I have been looking around for submersibles that have surveyed the wreck and I can't find any info on them. Do any of you great people have any information or better yet pictures of them? I do appreciate any help you can lend!

On the original Yamato dives they had a mini two man sub with a large bubble on the front to explore the wreck, but not in much detail. They couldn't stay down for prolonged periods of time due to restrictive O2 supplies and the depth was too deep to allow more down time to operate. Then recently using ROV's they could get into detail mapping of the entire wreck with digital photography. The last dives were done on Yamato with sensitive remote 3D digital mapping equipment (I think untethered) using GPS to guide it through the debris field in both locations.

I would google the internet looking for "Remote Dive Vehicles". I'm sure their are only a handful of manufactures that make them. Mostly for commercial use. They are too expensive to build one from scratch, so they get one ready to go and then retrofit it to fit their needs. Should be some photos on their site. Check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomou ... er_vehicle

If you are making a Diorama of the exploration of Yamato, it would be neat to have the Research Vessel above water with one of the ROV's floating over the wreck. It would be rather impressive if you could pull it off. Good Luck!

Guy's, if you have more info to add please do and correct anything I have posted that needs to be corrected for accuracy. I am not an expert but just a Yamato Groupie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 am 

GewoonWouter wrote:
I'm somewhat confused at the moment btw: I have the latest Skulski book on Yamato and Musashi and I am currently building Yamato. I always thought that the triple 25mm guns had no gun shields, but the book shows drawings with shields added. I don't think the Kure model has the shielded versions either, can anyone confirm that they didn't have shields?

And the World of Warships Yamato isn't quite a very correct rendition perhaps, but it is fun to play with ^^

Hello!

There are a few pictures available, where crew members of the Yamato were photographed in (April) 1945 at the starbaord side (approximately frame 115).
(Source: The Battleship Yamato and Musashi; Selected Photos from the Kure Maritime Museum, Supplemental Volume)

In the background you can see parts of different open triple 25mm guns, and there are NO shields visible!!!

Imho Skulski made again some mistakes in his latest book about Yamato and Musashi. But it´s still a good reference.

"It is sometimes better to believe your own eyes on original photos than believe on drawings from other people!"

Christian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:40 pm 

vds242 wrote:
GewoonWouter wrote:

Hello!

There are a few pictures available, where crew members of the Yamato were photographed in (April) 1945 at the starbaord side (approximately frame 115).
(Source: The Battleship Yamato and Musashi; Selected Photos from the Kure Maritime Museum, Supplemental Volume)

In the background you can see parts of different open triple 25mm guns, and there are NO shields visible!!!

Imho Skulski made again some mistakes in his latest book about Yamato and Musashi. But it´s still a good reference.

"It is sometimes better to believe your own eyes on original photos than believe on drawings from other people!"

Christian

Hello Christian - All surviving photos of Yamato and Musashi can be viewed on my Yamato web gallery which is here:

www.battleshipyamato.com

You're welcome! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:27 pm 

With the numerous posts calling out mistakes in Skulski's new book, why not go to the source himself and ask him the questions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 am 

baseballbrat wrote:
With the numerous posts calling out mistakes in Skulski's new book, why not go to the source himself and ask him the questions?

Because there is no way to contact Janusz Skulski.

If you find a way to contact him, let me know!

Christian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 159  Next