The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 159  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:04 pm 

In reference to the last two posts................

I too have a vast sets of PE, Resin, etc......

I have many a time here tried to discuss how to rig all the lines on Yamato, but no one seem to have a grip on this. Rigging schematics, photographs, drawings etc are very hard to find or no one really cares enough to want to make a go of this. One member started this, but stopped and didn't go back to finish his posts. I can't recall the name, but attempted to contact him through message with no response. Anyway, all the detailed sets don't include anything associated with the rigging lines and Tamiya doesn't include a rigging instruction. I contacted Tamiya a longtime ago and never got anywhere with it. So now you have a fully detailed Yamato, guns, portholes, water doors, Ammo boxes, Ladders, Rails and whatever, but nothing to make the rigging accurate with clean connections. I've seen a lot of great builds, but the rigging lines all have a sloppy connection to the attachment points. What good is it to have a beautiful build and kill it with a sloppy inaccurate rigging job. I'm not referring to you guys here, but I've seen this online elsewhere. Someone even used white glue to connect lines together and took the focal point off the ship and put it on the clumpy rigging job. Why is it that no one has a PE set with the rigging attachments? If a perfect or near perfect kit is desired you have to include everything. All I know is that I'm not going to build my kit until I have all points covered.

On the subject of books, The more reference the better. I think I have 20+ just on Yamato. Still looking for more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:42 pm 

Thanks for the info!

I did comment on those posts on rigging Yamato. These are very helpful, but I am also looking for a rigging diagram and closeup photos of the connectors and devises used to hang the cables. The lack of these details online or printed in books has me baffled on how to connect these cables in a realistic manner. PE or Resin parts meant for this would be a great help in making your modeling project look more realistic. This was my point of my original post. Even Katana had some missing photos or blurred photos of these parts that leave you wondering what they are supposed to be. As you see in the posts, all the photos are of Yamato Hiroba 1/10 in Kure. I don't see anything close in books that would come close. Tamiya dropped the ball when researching the New Tool Kit by not offering a rigging schematic with the instructions. It's really the only subject that no author wants to cover or can't cover due to lack of accurate drawings or photos. Looks like I'm going to have tp make the parts up by hand or 3D printer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:44 am 

Hi sailors,

I hope I post in the right section of the forum, as I am new to it.

I am currently building the Yamato in 1:1200 and I am wondering what the flag and the banner on the Yamato stand for which I have seen on a couple of models (see pics). I searched the net, but couldn't find an explanation. That's why I turn to you experts. Anybody an idea for what it stands for?

Thanks for your replies and have a great day,

Jack

Attachments:
Yamato-1.jpg
Yamato-1.jpg [ 66.74 KiB | Viewed 10877 times ]
Yamato-2.jpg
Yamato-2.jpg [ 18.02 KiB | Viewed 10877 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:29 pm 

The smaller ensign with the red band at the top is the flag signifying a vice admiral is a aboard. Vice Admiral Seichi Ito was aboard as commander for the Ten Ichi Go operation, her last, upon which she was sunk,and he killed in action. I believe the banner is spelling out Ten Icho Go, but not sure about that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:38 am 

@Dan,

Thx, Dan. Didn‘t thought about it. If I search for Japanese command flags they all pop-up. The banner I will check as suggested.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Best,

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:12 pm 

Here is an overhead of the outside deck at the Yamato Museum. This might actually the the color of the deck in April 1945.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/ya ... ew/google/

Here's another picture.

Attachments:
Yamato Museum GE A.jpg
Yamato Museum GE A.jpg [ 69.05 KiB | Viewed 7716 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 pm 

I suspect you are right. From ground level the wood is greyish in color. If anything it might have been a bit darker if it had indeed been darkened by rubbing soot on it. Here is a better resolution photo I just 'grabbed' - behold the Yamato - as you approach her from the air in your SBD bomber ... :wink:

Attachments:
Yamato Museum Aerial.jpg
Yamato Museum Aerial.jpg [ 376.62 KiB | Viewed 7708 times ]

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:50 pm 

Weathered cypress:

A note to all the people who produce yellow or tan colored Aftermarket wooden deck sticks, the color of weathers wood is typically grayish, not yellow or tan. Weathered teak would be quite similar to weathered cypress.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:46 am 

Senkan wrote:
Here is an overhead of the outside deck at the Yamato Museum. This might actually the the color of the deck in April 1945.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/ya ... ew/google/

Here's another picture.

I never knew they had something like that...that's awesome! Makes me want to visit the museum even more now!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:53 am 

interesting article on the yamato design https://warshipprojects.com/2018/04/24/ ... s-genesis/ I decided to bought a Shinano from fujimi (I'll do it as a completed aircraft carrier),a fujimi musashi that I'm going to use for a n°111 yamato and a super yamato from fujimi.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:39 pm 

chuck wrote:
Weathered cypress:

A note to all the people who produce yellow or tan colored Aftermarket wooden deck sticks, the color of weathers wood is typically grayish, not yellow or tan. Weathered teak would be quite similar to weathered cypress.

What about passenger liners with pine decks?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:49 am 

how dark was yamato deck? in some pic,the deck doesn't seem verry dark when in other it seem dark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:30 am 

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_su ... 65729.aspx link on the shipwreck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:02 am 

How good are fujimi yamato/A-150 super yamato model? I intend to use the musashi commission for a n°111 hull and the A-150 for the n°798 one(I'll use some of the A-150's AA for the n°111) and got to wonder why isn't shinano here too since it was going to be a somewhat improve yamato at first

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 am 

What do you guy think of the 2nd edition of the anatomy of the ship on the yamato? For me,I think it's good but it seem like the number of torpedo that hit the ship on her final mission varry a lot and regarding it's final AA configuration,I've found this pic and I somewhat have problem regarding this one :
http://www.battleshipyamato.com/index.a ... ?i=197&s=1
Got to wonder why the final AA configuration varry this much between historian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm 

The pictures you posted above represent the most recent reconstruction of Yamato's final deck AA configuration, based on surveys of the wreck. They are the most accurate, in my opinion.

The key is the second pair of AA machine gun nests aft of Turret #3 on the flight deck. Those are missing on all reconstructions done before a detailed survey of the wreck discovered them 15-20 years ago.

About the same time the discovery of a B-29 surveillance photo taken at 1200 Noon on April 6, 1945 also helped to shed light on the final AA set up.

Then there is this March 1945 photo of Yamato being bombed:

Attachments:
P1000314_mini.JPG
P1000314_mini.JPG [ 16.74 KiB | Viewed 7403 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:05 pm 

Here is the B-29 photo from April 6, 1945 - you can see the shadow of the AA mounts if you look carefully:

Attachments:
yam_1945d_mini.jpg
yam_1945d_mini.jpg [ 133.64 KiB | Viewed 7403 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:50 pm 

didn't thought you were still active,great job on your yamato model by the way (also,would a "armor upgraded" yamato be different from the real one?), thanks for answer and floating sandbox got a nice yamato model to sink too (I enjoy putting lot's of bomb on it just for fun or sometimes drop a tsunami on him)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 pm 

and another variation (is it or they are tons of difference between april 1945 yamato)

Last edited by thebunkerparodie on Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:05 pm 

thebunkerparodie wrote:
and another variation (is it or they are tons of difference between april 1945 yamato)

Hi - If you don't mind - please delete the GIANT photo you just dropped into your post because only about 20% is visible on the screen (you need to attach it using the command below the text box).

Also - it is INACCURATE. I actually fixed this photo ages ago (for my own reference), but have no idea where it is now so I can't upload it. The deck configurations on the two prior images upthread are CORRECT. (It is no longer a matter of conjecture - it is the final Japanese analysis. The annoyingly GIANT photo you dropped into your post is obsolete and should not be spread around because it confuses people).

Sorry if I am a bit cranky about this, but I have been trying for over 10 years to stamp out the older, inaccurate diagrams on this board. :big_grin:

Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 159  Next