The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:05 pm 

Hello,
What Pontos and Flyhawk 1/350 sets are recommended for TAMIYA 78025 New Tool 1/350 Yamato?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:21 pm 

I believe Pontos only ever made one set for the new-tooled Yamato (#78025), so that's easy: http://pontosmodel.com/html/35003f1.html
Note it doesn't include a wooden deck.

Same goes for Flyhawk, who only put out this set for the 78025 kit: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/flyhawk ... et--306680

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:03 pm 

Just popped up on 1999 Monochrome ie Trumpeter 1/200th Yamato.
15 sheets of PE, 2800 parts.
Looks awesome.
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10875538?utm ... 360_img_en

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:07 pm 

DarrenH wrote:
Just popped up on 1999 Monochrome ie Trumpeter 1/200th Yamato.
15 sheets of PE, 2800 parts.
Looks awesome.
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10875538?utm ... 360_img_en

Kind of odd that this comes out at the same time.
https://spruebrothers.com/gal64010-1-20 ... ip-yamato/

Are these 2 the same kit? 2800 parts, 15 sheets of PE.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:47 pm 

Looks the same. Maybe Monochrome is the imported brand for Japan and Gallery is the brand for U.S. and maybe north America.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:09 pm 

Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Looks the same. Maybe Monochrome is the imported brand for Japan and Gallery is the brand for U.S. and maybe north America.

Yes. Trumpeter's factory makes all of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:55 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Jon C Ryckert wrote:

Yes. Trumpeter's factory makes all of them.

Did Trumpeter join with MRC?

Any comments about accuracy and quality of the kit? Would be nice to see one built. Anyone here planning to build one soon?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:19 am 

As I understand it, it's more a contracting arrangement rather than "join". I don't know how the profits get shared, but obviously MRC had the right to sell the LHD Wasp kit (and probably others like the ones under Merit) under their label for a time, then Trumpeter could do it later under their Gallery brand.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:44 pm 
I salute all the expertise and passion for the Yamato and Musashi on this forum. I hope to tap into that fountain of knowledge now. As an introduction, I won’t give my age, but one of the first models I remember building was the Revell USS Missouri with the John Steel box art. I have an extensive Yamato collection of resource material and over the years have built at least nine different models of the ship.

I recently read through a build log for the Tamiya New Tool Yamato with the Pontos Detail-Up Kit by a modeler named Koppalakki:

viewtopic.phpf=60&t=163104

The model is presented as during Operation Ten-Ichi-Go and includes many of the features discussed at length on this forum:

Weather deck stained black with funnel soot.
Aircraft crane tower mast removed.
Correct number of 25mm AA guns (6 single 25mm and 52 triple 25mm mounts).
Sandbag and bedroll protection around open AA mounts.
No ships boats on board.
Only two aircraft remaining on board for ASW search (one Jake depicted).
White Chrysanthemum crest painted on funnel port and starboard.
Admiral Itos flag on mainmast.
Imperial flag on mainmast.
Samurai banner on mainmast.

He also depicted that the anchor chains had been removed with the anchors held in place by chain stoppers only, stating that this was as per the photo evidence.

I started checking all the available photos that showed Yamato’s bow clearly and found that, yes, the photos of Yamato during Operation Ten-Icho-Go did show there were no anchor chains present. The anchors and chain stoppers were there, but no anchor chains past that. The photos of Yamato during Operation Sho-Go clearly showed the full set of anchor chains present.

I plan to build the new 1/200 Trumpeter Yamato (or Glow2be or Gallery or Monochrome or whatever name it has) and hope to finish it exactly like Koppalakki’s with the following additional details:

The four open triple 25mm mounts on either side of the bridge tower and the two open 25mm triples mounted either side of the aft range finder tower will be equipped with Le Prieur mechanical lead computing sights (these mounts used to have armored shields that were removed and used to mount the additional 25mm guns along the port and starboard railings during her 44-45 repair/refit).

Add a 25mm gun director that replaces the forward 150cm searchlights port and starboard.

Add additional 25mm gun directors port and starboard on second deck between 5” AA guns.

I also plan to add gun shields to the open 25mm triple mounts as depicted in Skulski’s book. Call it creative license if you want. I prefer to look at it like I was the Captain of the Yamato. I would want to do anything and everything in my power to protect my crew during battle. Knowing the mission and the known American Navy doctrine of having fighter aircraft strafe the decks with machine gun and rocket fire prior to the dive bombers and torpedo bombers attacking, adding sandbag, bedroll, and gun shield protection for the gun crews is, in my mind, absolutely necessary.

Now, my questions for this forum are:

I have read through every page of this forum and have either missed any discussion about the anchor chains being removed or else the subject has never been brought-up before. What is the input on this?

The new 1/200 Trumpeter Yamato has an aircraft handling deck that depicts armor plating engraved in a square pattern, similar to the Flyhawk PE set I have seen. There is no anti-slip pattern on the deck, even around the aircraft trolly tracks. Depending on the model or resource you check, I have seen it depicted both ways. Any input on this subject?

Also, the new Trumpeter kit only depicts ESM antenna on the front of the bridge tower. There is no ESM antenna on the rear sides of the signal platform or the sides of the air defense platform. These are present in Skulski’s book and on the 1/10 Kure model and I plan to add those separately. There is apparently another ESM antenna mounted higher up. The 1/10 Kure model has this ESM antenna mounted on the center yard at the rear of the air defense platform. Skulski’s book shows this mounted on the curved mast atop the main rangefinder. Any thoughts on this?

Finally, what is the consensus on the air defense control station on the air defense platform directly in front of the main range finder base. The new 1/200 Trumpeter kit represents it with a PE part as an open curved bulkhead with three windows. The Gakken Super Illustrated Yamato book shows it as an open curved bulkhead with no windows. Skulski has it as an enclosed armored bunker rounded at the top with three windows and doors on either side. The Fujimi 1/200 kit of the Yamato bridge also shows it that way, as does the digital rendering made of the Musashi wreck site. The 1/10 Kure model represents it as an enclosed bunker with flat top, no windows, and doors on either side. So many choices.

In closing, great work everyone and keep up the good fight!

Last edited by Timmy C on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into Yamato thread - please click "Post Reply" instead of "New Topic"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:25 am 

WBF wrote:
I salute all the expertise and passion for the Yamato and Musashi on this forum. I hope to tap into that fountain of knowledge now. As an introduction, I won’t give my age, but one of the first models I remember building was the Revell USS Missouri with the John Steel box art. I have an extensive Yamato collection of resource material and over the years have built at least nine different models of the ship.

I recently read through a build log for the Tamiya New Tool Yamato with the Pontos Detail-Up Kit by a modeler named Koppalakki:

viewtopic.phpf=60&t=163104

The model is presented as during Operation Ten-Ichi-Go and includes many of the features discussed at length on this forum:

Weather deck stained black with funnel soot.NOT AS DARK AS ON THE MODEL. ORIGINAL PHOTOS FROM JANUARY 1945 SHOWS THE DECK BRIGHTER THAN THE KURE GREY ON THE SUPERSTRUCTURE
Aircraft crane tower mast removed.YOU CAN´T FIND THE AERIAL MAST ON PHOTOS FROM 07.04.1945: AS DESCRIBED IN MODEL ART NO.745
Correct number of 25mm AA guns (6 single 25mm and 52 triple 25mm mounts).
Sandbag and bedroll protection around open AA mounts.IMHO ONLY ON THE FOUR 25MM SINGLE GUNS NEAR 46CM TURRET NO. 1 AND ON THE FOUR OPEN TRIPLE GUNS ON THE ROOFS OF 46CM TURRET NO. 2 AND NO. 3
No ships boats on board.
Only two aircraft remaining on board for ASW search (one Jake depicted).
White Chrysanthemum crest painted on funnel port and starboard.
Admiral Itos flag on mainmast.
Imperial flag on mainmast.
Samurai banner on mainmast.

He also depicted that the anchor chains had been removed with the anchors held in place by chain stoppers only, stating that this was as per the photo evidence.WHY THEY WANT TO REMOVE THEM? PHOTO FROM JANUARY 1945 SHOW THE ANCHOR CHAINS

I started checking all the available photos that showed Yamato’s bow clearly and found that, yes, the photos of Yamato during Operation Ten-Icho-Go did show there were no anchor chains present. The anchors and chain stoppers were there, but no anchor chains past that. The photos of Yamato during Operation Sho-Go clearly showed the full set of anchor chains present. PHOTO FROM MARCH 19TH 1945 SHOW THE ANCHOR CHAINS

I plan to build the new 1/200 Trumpeter Yamato (or Glow2be or Gallery or Monochrome or whatever name it has) and hope to finish it exactly like Koppalakki’s with the following additional details:GOOD LUCK! BECAUSE THE KIT HAS A LOOOT OF ERRORS!!!!

The four open triple 25mm mounts on either side of the bridge tower and the two open 25mm triples mounted either side of the aft range finder tower will be equipped with Le Prieur mechanical lead computing sights (these mounts used to have armored shields that were removed and used to mount the additional 25mm guns along the port and starboard railings during her 44-45 repair/refit).THAT`S CORRECT! PHOTO FROM 1945 SHOWS ONE OF THESE TRIPLE GUNS IN THE BACKGROUND

Add a 25mm gun director that replaces the forward 150cm searchlights port and starboard.SIX SEARCHLIGHT - SIX CONTROL TOWER UNTIL THE END. SIX SEARCHLIGHTS ARE CLEARLY VISIBLE ON A FEW PHOTOS FROM TEN GO. THEY ARE COVERED WITH CANVAS!

Add additional 25mm gun directors port and starboard on second deck between 5” AA guns. THIS WILL MATCH THE THEORY OF - 1 GUN CONTORL TOWER FOR TWO TRIPLE GUNS AROUND THE SUPERSTRUCTURE AND THE KATAPULT/AIRCRAFTDECK.

I also plan to add gun shields to the open 25mm triple mounts as depicted in Skulski’s book. Call it creative license if you want. I prefer to look at it like I was the Captain of the Yamato. I would want to do anything and everything in my power to protect my crew during battle. Knowing the mission and the known American Navy doctrine of having fighter aircraft strafe the decks with machine gun and rocket fire prior to the dive bombers and torpedo bombers attacking, adding sandbag, bedroll, and gun shield protection for the gun crews is, in my mind, absolutely necessary. WHY? ON ONE HAND YOU WANT TO BUILD AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE; AND ON THE OTHER HAND YOU WANT TO GIVE THE OPEN TRIPLE GUNS PROTECTIONS SHIELDS? A PHOTO FROM 1945 SHOWS CLEARLY NO SHIELDS ON THE OPEN MOUNTS!

Now, my questions for this forum are:

I have read through every page of this forum and have either missed any discussion about the anchor chains being removed or else the subject has never been brought-up before. What is the input on this?AGAIN IT MAKES NO SENSE. SEE ABOVE

The new 1/200 Trumpeter Yamato has an aircraft handling deck that depicts armor plating engraved in a square pattern, similar to the Flyhawk PE set I have seen. There is no anti-slip pattern on the deck, even around the aircraft trolly tracks. Depending on the model or resource you check, I have seen it depicted both ways. Any input on this subject?ORIGINAL PHOTOS FROM CREW MEMBERS ON THE CATAPULTDECK SHOWS ANTI SLIPPING PATTERN UNDER THE TRACKS

Also, the new Trumpeter kit only depicts ESM antenna on the front of the bridge tower. There is no ESM antenna on the rear sides of the signal platform or the sides of the air defense platform. These are present in Skulski’s book and on the 1/10 Kure model and I plan to add those separately. There is apparently another ESM antenna mounted higher up. The 1/10 Kure model has this ESM antenna mounted on the center yard at the rear of the air defense platform. Skulski’s book shows this mounted on the curved mast atop the main rangefinder. Any thoughts on this?HERE I WOULD FOLLOW THE 1/10 YAMATO

Finally, what is the consensus on the air defense control station on the air defense platform directly in front of the main range finder base. The new 1/200 Trumpeter kit represents it with a PE part as an open curved bulkhead with three windows. The Gakken Super Illustrated Yamato book shows it as an open curved bulkhead with no windows. Skulski has it as an enclosed armored bunker rounded at the top with three windows and doors on either side. The Fujimi 1/200 kit of the Yamato bridge also shows it that way, as does the digital rendering made of the Musashi wreck site. The 1/10 Kure model represents it as an enclosed bunker with flat top, no windows, and doors on either side. So many choices.I FIND THE SUPER ILLUSTRATION THEORY THE BEST. FOR A CLOSED ROOM IT IS TOO LOW. IMHO!

In closing, great work everyone and keep up the good fight!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:04 pm 
In response to vds242 comments:

Thanks much for the feedback. I welcome any and all. In reply, I would like to point out the following:
In regard to the anchor chains. Why would they want to remove them? I question the reasoning myself. Why remove the anchor chains and not the anchors and chain stoppers as well? After all, the mission of the Yamato was to sail to Okinawa and beach the ship to become a stationary gun platform. The anchors would be useless in that case. If the reason to remove the anchor chains was to reduce weight, why not simply remove the anchors too. Did they keep the anchors in place for ballast? I don’t pretend to know their thinking on the matter. This is why I raised the subject for discussion.

Regarding the evidence, photos of the Yamato in January 1945 and March 1945 that show her with the anchor chains in place are not the evidence I was referring to. Look at the photos of Yamato under attack during Operation Ten-Ichi-Go and they clearly show the anchors and chain stoppers in place with no anchor chain aft. The colorized photo enlarged is especially clear in showing this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:49 pm 
The lack of responses to this thread is rather disappointing. I would have thought the subject of a brand new 1/200 Yamato from Trumpeter might energize the watchers. However….. In answer to my own questions, I continued to look for additional evidence. And I have found more.

Regarding the Yamato’s air defense control station:
Another clear example of depending which model you look at or which reference you read. The Trumpeter kit has an open curved bulkhead with three windows. The Gakken Super Illustrated Yamato book shows it as a low open curved bulkhead with no windows. Skulski shows it as an enclosed armored bunker rounded at the top with three windows and doors on either side. The Fujimi kit of the Yamato bridge also shows it that way, as does a digital rendering made of the Musashi wreck site. The 1/10 Kure model shows an enclosed bunker with flat top, no windows, and doors on either side.

I followed-up on the You Tube video of the Musashi wreck and found another video: Musashi Expedition Live from Paul G. Allen 2015. At 1:21:19 of the video, the ROV shows the air defense level and there, intact, is the air defense control station. It is exactly as described by Skulski for the Musashi in 1944 and the Yamato in 1945. It also matches the Fujimi kit. Question answered.

Now, regarding the question about the anchor chains being removed:
I stand by my earlier remarks. I also found another source which shows the missing anchor chains. A depiction of Yamato during Operation Ten-Ichi-Go, 1945. By Thomas Schmid, 2014 3dhistory.de

By the way, if anyone is interested in the new Trumpeter kit, you can follow along with a new Facebook Page: Trumpeter 1:200 Battleship Yamato ONLY tips n tricks

This page has information on the kit, some photos of unboxing, and the documenting of faults with the model.

There are also at least three You Tube videos out that showcase the unboxing of the kit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:56 am 

WBF wrote:
The lack of responses to this thread is rather disappointing. I would have thought the subject of a brand new 1/200 Yamato from Trumpeter might energize the watchers. However….. In answer to my own questions, I continued to look for additional evidence. And I have found more.

Regarding the Yamato’s air defense control station:
Another clear example of depending which model you look at or which reference you read. The Trumpeter kit has an open curved bulkhead with three windows. The Gakken Super Illustrated Yamato book shows it as a low open curved bulkhead with no windows. Skulski shows it as an enclosed armored bunker rounded at the top with three windows and doors on either side. The Fujimi kit of the Yamato bridge also shows it that way, as does a digital rendering made of the Musashi wreck site. The 1/10 Kure model shows an enclosed bunker with flat top, no windows, and doors on either side.

I followed-up on the You Tube video of the Musashi wreck and found another video: Musashi Expedition Live from Paul G. Allen 2015. At 1:21:19 of the video, the ROV shows the air defense level and there, intact, is the air defense control station. It is exactly as described by Skulski for the Musashi in 1944 and the Yamato in 1945. It also matches the Fujimi kit. Question answered.

Now, regarding the question about the anchor chains being removed:
I stand by my earlier remarks. I also found another source which shows the missing anchor chains. A depiction of Yamato during Operation Ten-Ichi-Go, 1945. By Thomas Schmid, 2014 3dhistory.de

By the way, if anyone is interested in the new Trumpeter kit, you can follow along with a new Facebook Page: Trumpeter 1:200 Battleship Yamato ONLY tips n tricks

This page has information on the kit, some photos of unboxing, and the documenting of faults with the model.

There are also at least three You Tube videos out that showcase the unboxing of the kit.

Hello!

I had written an answer for the anchor chains a few days ago, but it never appears as a post. I was frustaded...

So my guess in the anchor chains theory is, why not asking the Curator of the Yamato Museum in Kure. There is an email adress on their webpage. His name is Mr. Todaka.

I can´t find his direct email adress, which was posted by a member of the IJN Yamato Class Super Battleships Group on FB in some of his comments last year.

There are a lot more questions regarding to the "bad" Trumpeter Kit. As I had written in MY PDF :cool_2: on "our" Trumpeter group, you need a lot of good sources. No single source is completely correct.

When it comes to the Air Defense Station, it is good to see, that Musashi had an enclosed control station. But this doesn´t mean that Yamato had the same!

the next Update of my Inaccuracies PDF will be uploaded this weekend.

Why not asking in the group, if you get no "resonance" here?

Or asking in the Yamato Group which I mentioned above?

Chris

Post subject: I'm still alive
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 am 

Been away a while, but I'm back now.
It's only a short time ago I found the way back to my Yamato model and very recently to the ship model forum.
Which is good.
I discovered here some posts that refered to my earlier YAMATO RIGGING project.
Which convinced me to ask you the following question on this forum:
Are there still people who are interested to see the rest of the 2017 rigging project ?

Gentlemen ,
have a nice day,
katana

Post subject: Re: I'm still alive
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:26 am 

katana wrote:
Been away a while, but I'm back now.
It's only a short time ago I found the way back to my Yamato model and very recently to the ship model forum.
Which is good.
I discovered here some posts that refered to my earlier YAMATO RIGGING project.
Which convinced me to ask you the following question on this forum:
Are there still people who are interested to see the rest of the 2017 rigging project ?

Gentlemen ,
have a nice day,
katana

Hi Katana!

I find it very interesting to see your rigging. Because this is a big question which is often "not so important" for many Modeller.

But especially in case of the Yamato Class the rigging is very unique and imho far more complex than on other Battleships.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:41 am 

Hey,

I remember first reading about the missing anchor chains on another site dedicated to Yamato. As far as I know the reason was to lose all unnecessary weight, as they knew pretty much it to be a one way trip. I guess the reason for the anchors and part of the chains left was due to the fact they planned to get the Yamato to a reef so it could act as a coastal battery so sinking her would be not possible and to keep her in place, this is purely my speculation as to why though! Also the aerial photos from the final attack during Ten-Ichi-Go clearly shows the chains missing, most likely removed when they embarked on the last mission.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:12 pm 
I agree with you about the photos. My reason for even starting this thread was in response to your excellent model. All of the previous photos of Yamato at Leyte Gulf and prior to Okinawa clearly show the anchor chains in place and restrained to bollards and other fittings to stop excess movement during violent maneuvers at sea. I still can’t figure why they would remove the chains and not the anchors and chain stoppers as well. To save weight? For more speed? Additional AA ammunition?

In response to the suggestion of vds242, I fired off a message to Curator Kazushige Todaka at the Yamato Museum regarding the anchor chains. I’ll post any reply I get.

As far a the “Bad” Trumpeter kit, I disagree. When compared to the old Nichimo kit and the newer Hobby Bull kit, Trumpeters new model looks part for part, assembly for assembly, far superior. Is it perfect? No. I have made my own list of changes and modifications to do, based on the instructions and available photos (I’m still waiting on my kit). But keep in mind Gene’s guidance. Don’t be a model hater. No model is perfect. Be aware of limitations and costs, improve what you can, and make the model your own way. I refuse to be a rivet counter and will build my model as accurately as possible but with some features that I believe or feel are correct.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:47 pm 

WBF wrote:
As far a the “Bad” Trumpeter kit, I disagree. When compared to the old Nichimo kit and the newer Hobby Bull kit, Trumpeters new model looks part for part, assembly for assembly, far superior. Is it perfect? No. I have made my own list of changes and modifications to do, based on the instructions and available photos (I’m still waiting on my kit). But keep in mind Gene’s guidance. Don’t be a model hater. No model is perfect. Be aware of limitations and costs, improve what you can, and make the model your own way. I refuse to be a rivet counter and will build my model as accurately as possible but with some features that I believe or feel are correct.

Just to clearify:

The Nichimo Kit was modeled in the late Sixties! At that time, the sources for the Yamato were very limited. A few years later ARII modeled their 1:250 Yamato and Musashi and they had a lot more infos and photos available than Nichimo (just e few years earlier)!

Now, fifty years later, Trumpeter had the possibilitty to use extreme good sources like the 1/10 Yamato and Skulski AotS, plus Gakken and Model Art Magazines.

But they "fu..ed up"!

I don´t know which sources Trumpeter had used, because I couldn´t find sources for all of their inaccuracies.

Sometimes I believe they did a mixture of all available sources :cool_2:

Even if they had only "copied" the new modeled 1:350 Tamiya Yamato, the result would be much better!

Simple errors like the degausing cable and the scupper pipes on the hull are incomprehensible to me! The wrong shape of the 46cm Turrets, the base of the after Coning Tower (wrong shape), missing ventilators on the 12,7cm turrets, missing none slipping parts under the tracks on the catapult/aircraftdeck........

Maybe I just expected too much!? But when I now noticed that the fifty years old Nichimo Kit is in a few aspects more accurate than the Trumpeter Kit, I can call it a "bad Kit" or in better words, an average Kit.

It is clear that it is difficult to do a lot right in case of the Yamato Class!

But for prices between 350-470 Euros and 579 Dollar (!) I can expect more!

I have also noticed in some german FB groups that Trumpeter is well known for "average Kits" in case of their Ship Models. Titanic, Hood, Missouri.........and now Yamato. All of them with a lot of inaccuracies....

In case of the Hood, Trumpeter had the possibility to get new updated copies from original plans, but they weren´t interested!!!!

(Perhaps it is a "standard" in the industry to produce "average" item. So their own Aftermarket can make a lot of money too with Upgrades? Just a theory)

But in fairness to Trumpeter, I can say that for ecample Takom (or their T-Rex Design Studio) made a very simple error on the 1/72 Yamato Turret too. So simple that I noticed this error to late.......

And finally yes we have to do a lot of rework on the new Yamato to get an "accurate" Model.

For your info: I did it the same way you do. Before I´ve bought the Kit two weeks ago, I had downloaded the instructions and began to search for errors.

I'm convinced of it that we will get a nice Upgrade Set (Basic Version) from Pontos. I´m in contact with the Designer of Pontos, and he is doing a very good job!

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:59 pm 
Chris, please understand, I am always expecting the best from kit manufactures with each new release. Sometimes, we are rewarded, such as the Border Models (ex Wingnut Wings) 1/32 Lancaster kit. Other long awaited and long desired kits are a disappointment at best. This new kit from Trumpeter looks more promising than most. Most of the errors I've noticed can be corrected with minimal effort. Is it perfect? No. But we modelers can improve on their initial offering to the best of our skill levels. Following that, aftermarket companies like Pontos step in to help and yes Kim has always been instrumental in improving any kit.

Trumpeter may have done exactly as you say, in that they resourced information from many different places to produce this kit. Just having access to the instructions and some videos and photos, I can see the influence of several different models and books. I have been modeling many, many years and have built many kits of the Yamato. From tiny 1/1200 scale tabletop kits, to the first 1/700 scale waterline model, Hasagawa’s 1/450 scale kit, Tamiya’s 1/350 old tool, Tamiya’s 1/350 new tool, Otaki’s 1/350 scale, Ari’s 1/250, Nichimo’s 1/200 scale, Hobby Bull’s 1/200 scale, even a 1/200 paper model I bought as a reference. And speaking of references, I currently have a library of 16 books, many in Japanese. I am well versed on the ship, but I realize that parts of its appearance will remain a mystery, possibly forever, and therefore open to interpretation. I’m sure Trumpeter realizes this and also knows they, or any other kit manufacture will never produce a kit that satisfies everyone. At some point, they have to consider research limitations, cost, and marketing demands in producing each kit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:13 pm 

Well, in the end I have never encountered a model kit that would be 100% accurate. It's really up to the modeler what kind of accuracy he/she wants to achieve.

As for myself I never care for it anyway, I'll do the fixes myself that I deem to fit. Some want to go for the best accuracy possible, and I rise my hat for all that choose to go that path. I myself go for the most obvious and easily fixable things and I try to not lose my sleep over it! :heh:

Ww2 era and older stuff is also a lot more harder because of the lack of exact reference, modern stuff is always easier because there is so much and very high quality reference available.

So in my advice I'd say do what you can and don't sweat about minor unknowns, in the end we all do it for our own enjoyment!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next