The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 160  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:41 pm 

I'd be all in to that. I'm dreading the thought have having to modify a 1/200 Nichimo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:07 am 

Senkan wrote:
I got the Hobby Bull 1/200 Yamato. I'll probably be putting something on here this month with some kind of review. The hull is nice. Works great for RC. I don't plan on using it in that fashion and the motors/ assembly I'll sell. There are some things I don't like. You have to cut wire to use as external guns on 25mm turrets. The bow and stern detail are PE parts that have to be glued on. Worried they won't stay on or will warp. I'm going to try to mould/cast some of the parts and use them on other 1/200 Nichimo models I have. Is it worth the money? Meh. If you want to RC this model it probably is. It's worth it to me because Yamato floats my boat.

thanks, yes we need to see photos of the kit at close range to judge quality...
glueing the PE bow and stern in place will need careful thought next time because superglue is extremely hard to use on large areas, it is a total nightmare
i favour slow cure Araldite, held down with a book/ lead wight and left for 5 hours ! whatever the case, that bow and stern PE will always be hard to glue down

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:37 am 

Senkan wrote:
I'd be all in to that. I'm dreading the thought have having to modify a 1/200 Nichimo.

the Nichimo is too old now....as is the original Tamiya old tool Musashi, because when you make the new Hasegawa 1/450 you really do notice the difference in detail.

but Hasegawa made one massive mistake with their excellent kit.................1/450 is way too small for a display model, looking at mine now it needs to be at least 2ft longer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am 
MalX wrote:
Senkan wrote:

the Nichimo is too old now....as is the original Tamiya old tool Musashi, because when you make the new Hasegawa 1/450 you really do notice the difference in detail.

but Hasegawa made one massive mistake with their excellent kit.................it's way too small for a display model, looking at mine now it needs to be at least 2ft longer

Hobby Bull also do Yamato in 1/150 !!!!!!!!!!!! size is ok JUST.....but the price is a bit scary HA HA.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 pm 

I can't see laying down that kind of $$$$ for an RC model. Better hoping someday that Tamiya will decide to do a normal 1/200 with super detail including a complete set of PE. Of course Tamiya won't pull the trigger unless they think a new kit would be a great improvement over what's out now.

This RC kit would be a nightmare to those who think that converting this to a static display would be a good idea, just to get a 1/200 scale model. Who's Hobby Bull anyways? Or is it just Bull?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:36 pm 

I'm waiting on one in 1/72. :cool_2:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:01 pm 
baseballbrat wrote:
I can't see laying down that kind of $$$$ for an RC model. Better hoping someday that Tamiya will decide to do a normal 1/200 with super detail including a complete set of PE. Of course Tamiya won't pull the trigger unless they think a new kit would be a great improvement over what's out now.

This RC kit would be a nightmare to those who think that converting this to a static display would be a good idea, just to get a 1/200 scale model. Who's Hobby Bull anyways? Or is it just Bull?

Hoddy Bull could be a scam, because there is nothing about them online other than Ebay...........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:42 pm 

Guest wrote:

Hoddy Bull could be a scam, because there is nothing about them online other than Ebay...........

One of the board members got their hands on one, so it's a real product.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm 

If you guys want pics of the Hobby Bull Yamato just let me know what parts you want pics of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 pm 

How does it compare to the Nichimo kit?

Cheers,

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 pm 

Hobbybull turrets next to L'Arsenal aftermarket.

Attachments:
IMAG0153.jpg
IMAG0153.jpg [ 254.98 KiB | Viewed 3250 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:15 pm 

Red Devil Squadron wrote:

Cheers,

Bill

It's a whole lot better. Not sure if it's up to the quality of the Trumpeter 1/200 models. Costs 2 to 3 times more than Nichimo and it's about that much better. The kit will take less work to finish. No frets. Very little flash. And it's basically comes complete. There are some things I don't like about it. Like they include fabric for blast bags. Thinking of molding and casting the L'Arsenal bags and use them. They should have come into this forum and asked what we wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:09 pm 
yes i noticed the turrets, the bridge and the hull are way better than the Nichimo............... but what is good is you managed to buy it, so it's legit.............the Nichimo kit never looked realistic even 15 years ago, let alone now!

this means the 1/150 is legit too................but me thinks that's a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit too expensive !

the 1/200 is final mission only.........no crane, this kit is very interesting, because it's also way better than the Arii kit too.

my feeling is, as i've always been a Yamato fan, that this ship has to be on a big scale..... i'd like to see a close range photo of the bridge and superstructure please.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 pm 

Senkan wrote:
Red Devil Squadron wrote:

Cheers,

Bill

It's a whole lot better. Not sure if it's up to the quality of the Trumpeter 1/200 models. Costs 2 to 3 times more than Nichimo and it's about that much better. The kit will take less work to finish. No frets. Very little flash. And it's basically comes complete. There are some things I don't like about it. Like they include fabric for blast bags. Thinking of molding and casting the L'Arsenal bags and use them. They should have come into this forum and asked what we wanted.

Itll be much appreciated if you find an opportunity to do a photo review of the kit...seems interesting but obviously way above my budget

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:22 pm 

Guest wrote:
yes i noticed the turrets, the bridge and the hull are way better than the Nichimo............... but what is good is you managed to buy it, so it's legit.............the Nichimo kit never looked realistic even 15 years ago, let alone now!

this means the 1/150 is legit too................but me thinks that's a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit too expensive !

the 1/200 is final mission only.........no crane, this kit is very interesting, because it's also way better than the Arii kit too.

my feeling is, as i've always been a Yamato fan, that this ship has to be on a big scale..... i'd like to see a close range photo of the bridge and superstructure please.

Making a 1/200 and a 1/150 Yamato would be a bad idea IMHO. They should have just made the 1/150 first. They're going to have a hard time selling the larger ship to the same people who forked out money for the 1/200. I'll get some more pics tomorrow.

The guy selling these is legit. I had to wait for the ship to be made but once it was ready it took only a week to get from Asia to east coast of USA.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 pm 

More 1/200 Yamato HobbyBull pics:

Attachments:
IMAG0154.jpg
IMAG0154.jpg [ 184.14 KiB | Viewed 3128 times ]
IMAG0155.jpg
IMAG0155.jpg [ 168.56 KiB | Viewed 3128 times ]
IMAG0156.jpg
IMAG0156.jpg [ 186 KiB | Viewed 3128 times ]
IMAG0157.jpg
IMAG0157.jpg [ 171.32 KiB | Viewed 3128 times ]
IMAG0158.jpg
IMAG0158.jpg [ 184.58 KiB | Viewed 3128 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:35 am 
yes the detail is good

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:55 pm 

I know some here are critical of the Kagero Yamato 3D book that came out at the first of the year, but the drawings are well worth looking at. Here I am posting the 3D drawing site where the CG artist has posted 18 of his drawings that were used in this book. If you wish to keep them for your reference, just look for the download icon within the drawing and just drag them onto your desktop.

Jim

Yamato:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/E4dY8

Musashi:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZzEPm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:50 am 

Its a real shame that the cg artist drew from outdated references. I bought the book and was a little disappointed when i read through it. Nonetheless its well drawn and the 3d image (red/blue) section along with the provided viewing glases were a nice touch. Not holding my breath anytime soon but maybe one day they cam consider an updated version

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm 

cplchanb wrote:
Its a real shame that the cg artist drew from outdated references. I bought the book and was a little disappointed when i read through it. Nonetheless its well drawn and the 3d image (red/blue) section along with the provided viewing glases were a nice touch. Not holding my breath anytime soon but maybe one day they cam consider an updated version

My Question is..........

Does the book text describe the drawings as being most current or of just a general reference of what Yamato originally looked like? Round tubs on deck did exist on the earlier versions along with other details. Just because the book is new doesn't mean the drawings have to be up to date. It could be possible that the reference the artist was using was just older information, probably done before all the new dives showing corrections on original information. Don't mean it wrong, but just out dated.

Skulski's book was updated because the old one had incorrect details and too much new reference was now available. It's the most accurate on the subject. Doesn't make all other publications wrong, but just old. The older publications are just as important to have just for comparison. The Model Art Yamato book has the same issues and was reprinted with corrections just like Skulski's.

Rather doubt that you'll see too many more updated books on Yamato. Too costly and not enough interest to justify printing a book that would be different. Still more information out there and someday maybe it will be found. I think the naval records are still questionable due to the lack of interpreters that can read Japanese technical wording and make it readable in english.

For the modeler, you'll never have a 100% correct model. That's the way it goes

Jim

Last edited by baseballbrat on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 160  Next