The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 160  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:09 pm 

heres a few photos of my Hasegawa Yamato, my Tamiya Musashi will have much more PE than this, i messed up the rigging on this one and i broke the mast twice as well........... but i'm very pleased with the hull and below the waterline weathering...........paint finish as well

my next attempt will need much more detailing and accuracy, because i learnt my lessons too late in the day on this one

i've got my eye on 1:200 because i think 1:350 is maybe too small for me, because i really struggled with it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:07 pm 

Great job Malx ! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:52 pm 

thanks
she's a great model to look at but she's not accurate enough, because some of the PE i couldn't do, just too fiddly for me......................i might sell my Tam Musashi with the Firehawk PE, because i dont think i can do it next time either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:27 pm 

has there been any more developments on the alleged discovery of the stash of musashi related documents?
is there a plan to publish it to the public?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:31 am 

I've been studying the covered 25mm turrets, how did the crew gain entry to them? Was there an internal deck hatch? I have seen some modelers put them on the rear of the turret but I can't find any evidence of this. Any diagrams or pictures would be appreciated as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:13 pm 

just getting to the aircraft on the nichimo 1/200 yamato and can't for the life of me work out how the decals work. The instructions talk about removing a cover sheet then soaking however both front and back are really glossy and I can't seem to get anything to separate, it all appears to be a single sheet. Soaking in water still don't do anything. Really strange, never come across this type of decal/transfer - any ideas of what my precise muppetry is please ??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 am 

npb748r wrote:
just getting to the aircraft on the nichimo 1/200 yamato and can't for the life of me work out how the decals work. The instructions talk about removing a cover sheet then soaking however both front and back are really glossy and I can't seem to get anything to separate, it all appears to be a single sheet. Soaking in water still don't do anything. Really strange, never come across this type of decal/transfer - any ideas of what my precise muppetry is please ??

just worked it out, they are cut out, sticky-back shiny vinyl jobbies - very nasty (and even more toy like than the rest of the kit !!!). Just ordered some proper aftermarket ones. I will post a few pics once I'm complete. Just about to start the rigging, my first ever attempt at this, brought some EZ line which makes my eyes and fingers struggle it's so fine. Any tips from you experts out there would be appreciated ???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:18 pm 

npb748r wrote:
npb748r wrote:

just worked it out, they are cut out, sticky-back shiny vinyl jobbies - very nasty (and even more toy like than the rest of the kit !!!). Just ordered some proper aftermarket ones. I will post a few pics once I'm complete. Just about to start the rigging, my first ever attempt at this, brought some EZ line which makes my eyes and fingers struggle it's so fine. Any tips from you experts out there would be appreciated ???

Regarding the rigging, I suppose it all depends on how detailed you want to make it. Here was my solution when I built up my 1/200 heavily customized Nichimo Yamato 10 years ago:

I decided on using nylon fishing line, because of its strength. I secured the parallel overhead wires with instant glue. I used "Zip kicker" to instantly harden the instant glue, and here is how I did it: I put a tiny drop of instant glue at the end of the "cable" (ie fishing line), and a drop of Zipkicker on the surface it was to bond to. Then, using tweezers, I touched the end of the line with the glue on it to this spot and *voila* - instant bond.

Once the overhead parallel "cables" were attached, I used the same method to attach the wires running from the lower decks up to the overhead cables. (IE A tiny drop of glue on the end of the wire, a drop of Zipkicker on the spot it attaches to on the overhead wire, then carefully, using tweezers, bring the line with the glue up, touching it to the spot - and - instant bonding. You can see my Yamato build here: http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoMod ... llery?i=60

Now I realize that I did not go all-out in terms of the cable detailing as some uber-modelers do, but given the limitations of my own skill, I think I came up with a very practical solution.

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:04 pm 

npb748r wrote:
npb748r wrote:

I'm not an uber modeler lol but I have been experimenting with rigging. The 1/700 Tamiya Yamato is my 4rd attempt at rigging (first was Uss Arizona, Slava class cruiser Moskva, and the Titanic). I attached some pictures of her below to show what I did for the rigging.

I did a combination of thin string and stretched sprue. For the stretched sprue, would heat one end till it was really soft and starting to melt, placed that end on a solid surface and would slowly drag it across the surface and when I had a decent length, I would press or grab snips and cut the end. Measured the desired length and would cut that length from the stretched sprue. Dabbed one end in glue, placed at desired location, then dab a little glue where the other end was anchored. For the string, would measure out the appropriate length, dab one end in glue, place it in the position and location desired (would have it a little longer then needed as some times the length was to short to really mess with easily), then glued the other end down.

I did notice, it is easier to use stretched sprue on small, short lengths ( masts, cross rigging, crane rigging, etc.) while it was easier to use string with longer lengths (pole on the bow to forward superstructure, masts to deck, and aft mast to stern pole/ crane)

Attachments:
Yamato1.jpg
Yamato1.jpg [ 59.59 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]
yamato2.jpg
yamato2.jpg [ 74.76 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]
yamato3.jpg
yamato3.jpg [ 41.35 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]
yamato4.jpg
yamato4.jpg [ 51.04 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]
yamato5.jpg
yamato5.jpg [ 47.63 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]

in progress:
1/700 USS Montana BB-67
1/700 USS Houston CL-81

Waiting Drydock
1/700 USS Guam CB-2
1/700 Sigourney DD-643
1/700 USS South Dakota BB-49
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:48 pm 

thanks Betelguese90, will try a similar approach. One other thing i could do with some help on, i am struggling to find the location of the port and starboard running lights. Any suggestions ??

thanks
neil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:53 pm 

Tamiya Musashi .............loads of PE but quite a simple build, i'll do all the PE for the bridge area/funnel etc before assembling it all together, much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 pm 

Does anyone recall or have the parts list for the Pontos Yamato frets?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:41 pm 

Greg lester wrote:
Does anyone recall or have the parts list for the Pontos Yamato frets?

pontos should have all the instructions and fret pictures on their website

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 pm 

Yes, they have the photos, but not s parts list. I have seen one somewhere done by uilders of this kit, but I can't recall or find it on a thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:49 am 

With Trumpeter apparently preparing to release a 1/200 Yamato, what do you think will happen to the value of the Nichimo kits? I'd imagine they will retain some value (hey, it's still a lot of plastic) but won't command the kinds of prices they have in the past.

I don't have one myself but I do have the 1/250 Doyoshu kit (more of a really big toy actually). Got it for a song years ago.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:09 pm 

biercemountain wrote:
With Trumpeter apparently preparing to release a 1/200 Yamato, what do you think will happen to the value of the Nichimo kits? I'd imagine they will retain some value (hey, it's still a lot of plastic) but won't command the kinds of prices they have in the past.

I don't have one myself but I do have the 1/250 Doyoshu kit (more of a really big toy actually). Got it for a song years ago.

Paul

Are they, that's news to me !!!!!!!!!!..........if so the Nichimo Yamato will be a waste of money buying, because the Trumpeter kit will be excellent compared to that old thing

i've just started making the Tamiya Musashi and it's definitely easier on a bigger scale, so 1/200 will be even perfect.... the PE will be far easier to handle too....

but i dont think Trumpeter are making it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:54 pm 

The only way I'd buy a new 1/200 Yamato kit would be if it had an option to be built up as a waterline display.

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:57 pm 

If they make it I'm sure they will offer a waterline version

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:04 pm 

bucketfoot-al wrote:
The only way I'd buy a new 1/200 Yamato kit would be if it had an option to be built up as a waterline display.

the only way i'd buy it is if it had full PE and a wooden deck.......... but i doubt they're making it, because why haven't they already? after all, the Yamato is miles more popular than that pile of junk HMS Rodney.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:58 pm 

MalX wrote:
Are they, that's news to me !!!!!!!!!!

That's the scuttlebutt out of the Nuremberg Toy Fair being mentioned on the "New Releases" thread in the main forum.

Paul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 160  Next