The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 160  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:56 pm 

Vlad,

Have you see these?

http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/arc ... 49371.html

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm 

baseballbrat wrote:

*chuckle* Yes Jim, I've had Irootoko's IJN in color linked on my Yamato page for probably close to 10 years. He's been gracious to let me use some of his colorized photos on my website, and one of his colorized photos - the shot showing the foredeck and tower of Musashi taken from alongside Turret B - is in fact a composite shot that I created throguh photoshop from 3 separate photos taken by the same photographer in sequence ...

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:18 pm 

bucketfoot-al wrote:
baseballbrat wrote:

*chuckle* Yes Jim, I've had Irootoko's IJN in color linked on my Yamato page for probably close to 10 years. He's been gracious to let me use some of his colorized photos on my website, and one of his colorized photos - the shot showing the foredeck and tower of Musashi taken from alongside Turret B - is in fact a composite shot that I created throguh photoshop from 3 separate photos taken by the same photographer in sequence ...

I think I need to visit your Yamato page more often (lol)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:13 am 

I hope this is not off topic but I want to ask a question about the float planes that were on Yamato as depicted in the 1/350 Tamiya kits. Can anyone please tell me what colours they were painted in and what they correspond to in the Colourcoat paint range owned by Sovereign Hobbies previously produced by WEM.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:04 pm 

Dear Sutho ,

here you have the address of the Super hobby be where they sell the Hasegawa JT96 Mitsubishi F1M2 Zero Observation Seaplane Type 11 Pete

http://www.super-hobby.be/products/Mits ... -Pete.html

You can all the instructions pages and I' ve included the page with colour data .

Go to that site and check-out in the instruction pages all the parts and the respective colours they need to be painted in.

HTH

Greetz

Attachments:
1802_2_hasJT96_2 (Custom).jpg
1802_2_hasJT96_2 (Custom).jpg [ 66.81 KiB | Viewed 2612 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 pm 

A fantastic 6588x4878 pixel image of Emperor Showa and crew on the deck of Musashi: https://i.redd.it/izi2hehocsmy.jpg

Tried to check if it's already on Buckfoot-Al's site, but can't get it to open right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
A fantastic 6588x4878 pixel image of Emperor Showa and crew on the deck of Musashi: https://i.redd.it/izi2hehocsmy.jpg

Tried to check if it's already on Buckfoot-Al's site, but can't get it to open right now.

I've got several photos carved out of this one photo on my site, but I've never seen one with this high resolution - thanks! I'll have to update it on the website.

PS - Any way to tell if there are any other hi res Yam/Musashi pics on the same website where you found this one?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:54 pm 

Unfortunately no - it was posted/hosted on a more general forum for warship images.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 am 

Gentlemen,

for your info
referring to the interesting feedback of Baseballbrat and Dan K ,
I have corrected the text of rigging step 04 : Rigging antenna wires to Front Bridge Structure Brackets

Have a nice day

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:10 pm 

For all you Musashi fans out there, Here's a book on the musashi dives done in 2015. Japanese text.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSASHI-Imperia ... 1845694819

I have bought from this store and is very reliable and fast service. They are in Hawaii.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:47 pm 

Someone on Facebook posted a piece of artwork done by "World of Warships" that shows the Yamato at anchor with a good deal of rust on the hull. It struck me as odd and perhaps fanciful to depict her in such a state as I'd assume she was kept spic-n-span due to her status as pride of the fleet. I'd also imagine she would have been well maintained simply to keep her crew busy.

Perhaps upon returning from a long cruise she might have become a bit rusty but the art shows her more like the forlorn German fleet interned at Scapa Flow.

Anybody know how well she was maintained during the war?

Thanks.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:31 pm 

biercemountain wrote:
Someone on Facebook posted a piece of artwork done by "World of Warships" that shows the Yamato at anchor with a good deal of rust on the hull. It struck me as odd and perhaps fanciful to depict her in such a state as I'd assume she was kept spic-n-span due to her status as pride of the fleet. I'd also imagine she would have been well maintained simply to keep her crew busy.

Perhaps upon returning from a long cruise she might have become a bit rusty but the art shows her more like the forlorn German fleet interned at Scapa Flow.

Anybody know how well she was maintained during the war?

Thanks.

Paul

Compared to the rest of the fleet, she was maintained comparatively well. But you must remember that she spent long months at Truk lagoon during the war, so it would not have been unusual for her to display some signs of wear. I believe that she was pretty well taken care of at Kure, and there is nothing I've read to lead me to think that she wasn't "spic and span" for her final mission in April 1945.

If you go to my Yamato website (see link below my signature) and look around, you will find a very VERY large photo of Yamato coming towards her mooring spot at Truk in 1943. That B&W photo does appear to show normal wear for a ship that has been months at sea in the tropics.

Here's a direct link to the photo: http://www.battleshipyamato.com/Truk_1a_mini.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:01 pm 

I wouldn't take any WoWS promo art to heart. They have opted for an art style that includes a lot of rust on hulls. Rather too much in my opinion, but it is their game so they can do what they want.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 am 

There are information about Yamato in this link

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165214

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:02 pm 

Skulski's new Yamato/Musashi Book is now available a week in advance in PDF here: http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/search?q=Yamato&Gid=1

Just flipping through my PDF copy, each page has both crisp 3D and line drawings side by side. First 43 pages goes through history and descriptions with color photos and then goes through each section like the first edition. Very impressive with lots of new detail. If I recall correctly their are about 7 pages just on the tripod antenna. This is a must for anyone interested in Yamato/Musashi in great detail.

Amazon will be delivering hard copies arriving on Tuesday. I Pre-ordered one way back in November for $29.00. PDF copy is good to have because you can zoom in and it's great for us guys that can no longer see super fine lines. If you get the PDF copy you need to start a Adobe Account (Free) and then download the Adobe Digital Edition App (free) so you have this online where ever you happen to be. It's very easy to do.

I'm excited to get my book next week.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:32 pm 

Hey Guys, Just received my new Yamato/Musashi book in todays mail.
Can't say enough on how complete this is. The guys did great on covering the whole ship with both drawings and 3D images.
Holding it in your hand tells you how well printed it is with high quality paper and a great binding with no book cover but a non glossy finish print. IMO I like this much better and gives me a better impression of what's inside. I can see this selling out, so I would get my copy before you pay a huge price on eBay someday soon. This new edition put the first edition to shame, but until the dives, none of this was available. The only thing I still have an issue with is lack of "Rigging Diagrams", but the 3D drawings have much more detail and show more then the first edition, so I'm ok with this. If you're going to get a Yamato book, I would highly recommend this! Retail Price is $60, so get them while the price is lower on Amazon. I just can't see anyone else try to tackle making another book to compete with this one. I rate this out of 10 an 11.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 am 

baseballbrat wrote:
Hey Guys, Just received my new Yamato/Musashi book in todays mail.
Can't say enough on how complete this is. The guys did great on covering the whole ship with both drawings and 3D images.
Holding it in your hand tells you how well printed it is with high quality paper and a great binding with no book cover but a non glossy finish print. IMO I like this much better and gives me a better impression of what's inside. I can see this selling out, so I would get my copy before you pay a huge price on eBay someday soon. This new edition put the first edition to shame, but until the dives, none of this was available. The only thing I still have an issue with is lack of "Rigging Diagrams", but the 3D drawings have much more detail and show more then the first edition, so I'm ok with this. If you're going to get a Yamato book, I would highly recommend this! Retail Price is $60, so get them while the price is lower on Amazon. I just can't see anyone else try to tackle making another book to compete with this one. I rate this out of 10 an 11.

Do you think about the 25mm triple open positions? Yamato 44 has rounded but Yamato 45 has semi-hexagonal in the same places.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:33 pm 

Just got the new Skulski book on Yamato. A little smaller than the original but 100% better, more complete. Colorized photos are nice, as are the updated diagrams. The only thing I did not see is a diagram showing Yamato in 1945 with her crane tower removed.

But that's small stuff. We know the crane tower was removed prior to Ten-ichi-go. The number and shape of the 1945 Yamato AAA 25mm guns is finally correct (in line with Japanese illustrations that were updated circa 2005).

The one moment of vindication for me was seeing the diagram showing Gakken's estimate of the bombs and torpedoes that Yamato took in April 1945. Gakken estimates 35 torpedoes and 19 bombs. My own estimates (based on Robert Lundgren's Japanese-based research) is that we seem to be able to account for 22 torpedoes, but the point is that whether its closer to 22 or 35 (we can never know for sure) IT IS A HELLUVA LOT HIGHER than the "traditionally accepted" numbers in most US historical accounts (which the old timers here will recall I have been on the warpath against since I created my Yamato site in 2008).

Yes virtually EVERYTHING written in traditional US historical accounts of Yamato seemed to be wrong in some way, and Robert Lundgren's 2015 book on Leyte Gulf went a long way in correcting many of those errors. Skulski's book is a major step forward as it is the "bible" for Yamato model builders and ship enthusiasts.

19 bombs hitting Yamato is again much closer to the truth than the traditional US accounts that place the numbers ridiculously low (the ship was a sitting duck near the end and by the USN's own historical account of WW2 "at least 10 bombs exploded on decks" during the last attack wave). So 19 seems like a reasonable number to me, perhaps a few more hit, its hard to tell because - unlike torpedoes - we can't "count the holes" in the hull to get an idea.

Anyhow, I've rambled a bit, but I am glad to see that the incomparably better Japanese research on Yamato and Musashi is finally starting to make headway against many decades of ignorant hackwork done on the subject by US historians who (as Robert Lundren detailed to me in a private email) almost uniformly failed to considered Japanese sources on these ships, much less analyze them, using instead incomplete USN after-action reports in coming up with so many erroneous conclusions.

So, with a real sense of satisfaction: "I'm Out".

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:13 pm 

Vlad,

Besides the missing 1945 diagram, is there any other missing pieces to this puzzle still unaccounted for in the new book?

Jim

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:51 pm 

baseballbrat wrote:
Vlad,

Besides the missing 1945 diagram, is there any other missing pieces to this puzzle still unaccounted for in the new book?

Jim

I have not pored over the book in detail, and frankly, I also do not consider myself an expert on the minutiae of Yamato's surface or guts. I just have a passion for the story of the ship, and the most obvious shortcomings of the previous edition of the book (which were correct for their time as far as we knew back then) appear to clearly have been corrected. The fact that the book references Gakken is a testimony to me that Skulski knew exactly where to go to get the latest info.

Finally we have an English-language book comparable in detail and accuracy - and more of it because its so thorough - to the more recent Gakken books from Japan, which are excellent but also unintelligible to most of us due to the language barrier.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 160  Next