The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 160  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 pm 

biercemountain wrote:
MalX wrote:
Are they, that's news to me !!!!!!!!!!

That's the scuttlebutt out of the Nuremberg Toy Fair being mentioned on the "New Releases" thread in the main forum.

Paul

we deffo need a new yamato, the Tamiya kit is too small (but much bigger than my existing Hasegawa)...........the problem with Yamato is it's dark grey so it doesn't show up very well at night, so it needs to be bigger.

but..........the Nichimo Yamato looked small when i sailed it down the RC club, water killed its size instantly, odd isn't it !!!
even so, nothing looks as good as seeing it sailing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:26 am 

I hope this new kit of the Yamato in 1/200 will allow for the ability to build the ship as she was in late 1941 early 1942 when she was brand-new.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:47 am 

MalX wrote:
but..........the Nichimo Yamato looked small when i sailed it down the RC club, water killed its size instantly, odd isn't it !!!

I purchased my Doyusha kit intending to make it an RC but realized that even at 1/250 it's rather small for use on water. Only a dead calm pond would do. More trouble (and money) than it's worth.

When I purchased it, the store also had the Shinano kit from Doyusha but I passed on it. In hindsight, the prices were so good, I wish I'd bought both.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:50 am 

I've got a 1/400 Musashi kit in my stash from UPC. As far as I know UPC only did reissues of other peoples tools. Anyone know who offered this kit originally?

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:47 am 

biercemountain wrote:
MalX wrote:

I purchased my Doyusha kit intending to make it an RC but realized that even at 1/250 it's rather small for use on water. Only a dead calm pond would do. More trouble (and money) than it's worth.

When I purchased it, the store also had the Shinano kit from Doyusha but I passed on it. In hindsight, the prices were so good, I wish I'd bought both.

Paul

my Nichimo was useless on rough water too, that's when you sail a Tug Boat instead !!! Yamato is long but very slim and way too light, you need a 30 pound Harbour tug boat.

the right size for Yamato would be the Fleetscale 1/96, but that's way too large for home display only !!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:57 am 

very cross, the tamiya musashi is ruined, the photo etch flight deck wouldn't glue down in the middle and this morning it bubbled up yet again.........the bow is the same too, it's a horrid mess

this photo Etch is no good far large areas if it bubbles in the middle, because you cant b***** get to it without lifting the sides and ruining it all !!!!!!!!!!!......i'm not sure what to do now, it's either another Tamiya Musashi kit or another Hasegawa 1/450.

the Firehawk PE has plating all over the turret tops and bridge, but after this disaster...........NO WAY, and to be honest i dont know why it's there...........because these old areas on the Musashi kit are the same as the new tool Yamato....but the thing that you do need to do is the bow and flightdeck, because that's obviously wrong..............the Flight deck pattern can be etched with my scribing tool but the bow will need lengths of thin stretched sprue to get that plating effect.

i dont know why i tried to fit that rubbish PE, because before i heard a warning ``are you sure about this, because if it bubbles up in the middle it's ruined, you can not relay it, and you'll have superglue leaking out everywhere``

really really fed up !!!!!!!!!!

i'm going to search for replacement PE first

update:- it looks like another Musashi off ebay, because i cant get the deck only...the scribing looks easy because i can get the measurements off the Hasegawa kit.........other than this i could get another Hasegawa and do it right this time, but my guess is for another Yamato................lets wait for the Trumpeter kit, hell yea.

i looked at the other side of the PE after i ripped it off.........it was as clean as i put it down, there was no superglue stuck on it, so i should have roughed up the rear face with wet and dry and washed it over with Acetone first... because it was too shiny with no grip at all.

i'll be ok if i can get another Musashi for £40

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:08 pm 
Use a cigarette lighter to clean off the CA, lightly sand, then use thin CA applied with a brush to the surface.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:38 am 

Guest wrote:
Use a cigarette lighter to clean off the CA, lightly sand, then use thin CA applied with a brush to the surface.

i bought another Musashi last night !

you cant clean the superglue off the hull, far too much of it, my guess is the flight deck square plate pattern is wrong anyway, i'll copy the new tool Hasegawa Yamato...........i was never happy with the PE flight deck and i've not seen it in GOOGLE photos at all.

it only takes a couple of hours to redo the hull, but it does seem very wasteful to buy a brand new kit just to replace the bow and stern, but you just cant buy these items.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:24 pm 

this method for sticking down the deck works perfectly.. because i've been messing around with this for 2 days.

1..........paint the underside in White Spirit, leave it to soak in, scrape the glue off with a metal straight edge, it comes off instantly, leave to dry.

2..........paint the deck with that stuff and also the models deck too, that stuff looks and smells like re-branded PVA

3..........put the deck on, the PVA will soak through the planking, just brush it back and forth, but dont wipe it off.

when it dries the sheet is gripped down to the deck and encased with PVA, the wood is shiny. i can not get that wood off easily, it's stuck fast.

is there any problems ? yes, you can see the grey plastic deck, the wood is now semi transparent, the deck needs painting a wood colour first.

but this doesn't work if you dont remove the self adhesive glue from the sheet, it bubbles up after 3 hours...because the PVA has to soak right through and pull the planking down (the self-adhesive glue acts as a barrier)

to finish this off, you'd obviously need to matt lacquer it.

i expect everybody knows this already, but there you go just in case you didn't

Last edited by MalX on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:08 pm 

the Firehawk PE is a nightmare, the stuff you need for the lower bridge is all over the place in the manual and also all over the place on the PE sheets, it's taken me 20 mins to find the parts for the Rocket launcher, where are the part numbers for the ladders beside the Rocket launcher ??............10 mins later, they're on the page after the turret tops....yet they're shown beside the rocket launcher where you were working earlier on!!!! it's driving me flipping crazy, i'm going to have to fit the major PE only or i'll go totally mental.

she will have much more PE than my Hasegawa, but far less than the Firehawk, i'll probably only use 1/3 of it.........she'll looks great as the old Tamiya kit, but with just the obvious stuff done...wooden deck etc.

the quality of the Firehawk PE is very high, but it's also very fine and delicate.........the Eduard PE is much stronger.

this Firehawk PE is for a die hard Yamato fan and not for someone like me whose basically somewhere between the two.

Last edited by MalX on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:57 pm 

the Firehawk PE has all the rigging for the bow and stern jackstaff poles.....blocks/ turnbuckles etc, plus the rigging that goes up the back of the bridge, but the PE doesn't have any of the Horizontal main rigging, it's all left out which does seem very odd to me....

i cant go near any of this stuff..........LOL, it's way beyond me, i'm just hoping to get something that looks ok.

but all this stuff would be perfect on 1/200

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:51 pm 

biercemountain wrote:
I've got a 1/400 Musashi kit in my stash from UPC. As far as I know UPC only did reissues of other peoples tools. Anyone know who offered this kit originally?

Paul

Hi Paul!
I have checked at modelerjoe's list and it's just under UPC label, they use to emntion the relabellings... nevertheless some research rapidly led to identifying it as Nichimo stuff.
I saw some images, it well seems under Tamiya quality. It sells well as kinda antique, you might consider reselling unless you are a 1/400 fan.
You were luckier than me. I try to find some feedback on a Yamato and a POW I wanna buy. They come from that unnamed makes that clonned Tamiya's stuff, so hard to find references. I'd like to know quality beforehand...
Thanks in advance if someone knows...
James
er... wait. hmmm you've got a pm :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm 

I don't know about a full 1/200 Yamato, but it appears that Fujimi will be releasing a 1/200 main turret and magazine assembly

Attachments:
C5AIoboUkAAd71-.jpg
C5AIoboUkAAd71-.jpg [ 139.54 KiB | Viewed 1526 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:10 pm 

Dan K wrote:
I don't know about a full 1/200 Yamato, but it appears that Fujimi will be releasing a 1/200 main turret and magazine assembly

maybe the rest of Yamato will follow in 2 years time :smallsmile:

i'm surprised we dont have a 1/200 already, because the thing about the Nichimo kit is, it's far too old now to justify £500.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:14 pm 

if Musashi had rocket launchers.........why didn't Yamato as well ??????????????

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:15 pm 

Dan K wrote:

Lovely idea, but way too small at 1/200 scale. Even at 1/144.

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:45 am 
bucketfoot-al wrote:
Dan K wrote:

Lovely idea, but way too small at 1/200 scale. Even at 1/144.

yes a fully detailed main turret kit would also need ladders and railings too and a section of wooden deck, the turret alone would need to be about 12'' long (not including the barrels) it would look awesome

it would need to be a bit like this below, i used to collect these, they look fantastic!!!!
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/aca ... annon.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:03 am 
Which show was this image from.Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 pm 

Quote:

The first image comes from Fujimi's own blog. More can be seen on the Omani site: http://mokehana.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-837.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm 
Dan K wrote:
Quote:

The first image comes from Fujimi's own blog. More can be seen on the Omani site: http://mokehana.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-837.html

that turret kit looks odd to me, because it's obvious to all that it's way too small to make a decent size display model............so why is it at 1/200 and not 1/72 ???????????

this is Fujimi teasing you, they're telling you...........``this is from the 1/200 Yamato that's due out in two years time or maybe before``

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 160  Next