The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:21 am 

Would anyone happen to know or guess at what the object that in in front of the port secondary mount is? A mooring buoy?

Attachments:
Musashi_battleship_in_1942.jpg
Musashi_battleship_in_1942.jpg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 125517 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:55 am 

bucketfoot-al wrote:
Any idea where these photos surfaced from? I'm guessing from a photo album of some former IJN sailor?

No idea where they're from. A former crewmember's photo album does seem like a plausible source.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:35 pm 

Hi all,
As so many of us ship modellers, I am a huge fan of the Yamato-class. Having gone through all the 162 pages of this thread, I have started to understand that my skills & patience are not yet at the level which is needed for a proper Yamato-model (probably Tamiya's new tool). So I have decided to practise a bit with Tami's Musashi which (I have understood) is an old kit with lots of inaccuracies. Therefore I have also decided not ot invest in those high-end aftermarket PE-sets (Pontos, Flyhawk etc.) but to proceed with cheaper from Eduard. I willl anyhow try to do my best to correect most of the errors and I found here an excellent list from the member "Chuck" which will be my guiding point.

However, I have not found out answers to certain questions. I have the Skulski 2017 book and I have checked most of the existing photos and to my eye it looks as if the Musashi kit has some major faults in regards the portlights (missing a lot of them especially at the LD level, wrong placement & sizes etc.). Any comments on this?

Another issue is the scupper pipes which are not in the correct positions (in comparison to Skulski pages 98-101 and some Yamato photos). Have I understoood correctly?

Thanks in advance and VERY SPECIAL THANKS TO KATANA for his excellent work on the rigging :thumbs_up_1: ! If he has no objections I am trying to collect all his comments into one document so that it would easier to use when modelling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:49 pm 

The YAMATO RIGGING GUIDE has been separated into a new thread here, in the tips and tricks section: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=383204

Why Tips & Tricks? Because that is where other topics about rigging appear, and I wanted to keep it consistent.

(Stop gnashing your teeth, Dan)

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:00 pm 

Grrrrr........ :cry_3:

Thank you, M.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:48 pm 

First post in this thread has been edited to include a link to the rigging guide.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:12 pm 

Very good, Timmy.

Post subject: YAMATO RIGGING GUIDE
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:13 pm 

Gentlemen,

a new rigging chapter has been published in the Tips & Tricks Section of this forum :

YAMATO RIGGING GUIDE

03.04. Rigging Funnel Attachments

Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:52 am 

just finished a refit of her

https://youtu.be/qAJzS9nrubc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:52 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

herbieham wrote:
just finished a refit of her

https://youtu.be/qAJzS9nrubc

Your model has a lot of "wow" factor!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:15 am 

I received a PM this morning from IJNFleetAdmiral inquiring whether my Battleship Yamato Internet website is down for good. I am reproducing my PM reply to the gentleman below so you all can be informed as to what has happened.

"Good morning -

Your guess is as good as mine. My two Lycos Tripod websites have been down (except for a couple of weeks in early March) since the beginning of February. The monthly fees are paid, I have submitted multiple "support tickets" - and have heard nothing back.

When this happened about 5 years ago I heard back and it was fixed within a week. However, it appears that Lycos may no longer give a rat's ass about giving support to their "legacy websites". The angry comments on their subscriber forum indicate as much.

So to sum up:

a. Yes, its definitely some kind of server issue (I can still get into my websites and add/delete/rearrange photos - the sites just don't appear online);

b. I have zero idea if Lycos will fix it, and

c. I have to decide how many months I will keep paying for no service before I "pull the plug".

I could now insert my obligatory rant about the destruction wreaked on the useful internet by the (ever ongoing) hand-held device and anti-social media software revolution, but there would be no point. Suffice to say that this massive "dumbing-down" of the internet's usefulness - and of humanity in general (if you have any doubts about this - spending 5 minutes on ANY "anti-social media" site will instantly remove them) - has wrecked legacy websites - and forums like this one - and led to their large-scale abandonment. It appears that we are the "collateral damage" to the new "click-bait crack" revenue-generating internet economic model.

*I'm out*"

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Last edited by bucketfoot-al on Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:34 am 

thats a shame. Hopefully they will resolve the issues asap. would you consider moving to another site?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 am 

cplchanb wrote:
thats a shame. Hopefully they will resolve the issues asap. would you consider moving to another site?

First I would need to download all of my text from the site, as well as the photos (to avoid having to search for them on old external drives where they are stored). That all takes free time - which I had a lot more of during the years I was setting up the site than I do now (Thank the Lord! :thumbs_up_1: ). Setting up a new site would be about #100 on the list of life things to do and frankly I am not sure I even want to make the commitment to do that. We'll see what happens.

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159