The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 159  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:13 am 

vds242 wrote:
baseballbrat wrote:
With the numerous posts calling out mistakes in Skulski's new book, why not go to the source himself and ask him the questions?

Because there is no way to contact Janusz Skulski.

If you find a way to contact him, let me know!

Christian

How about start with the publisher?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:35 pm 

Wow, Am I the only one posting here?

Well I found this today and thought some of you would like to see this. Some photos here I haven't even seen!

https://youtu.be/WlBs9Ayo1zI

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 pm 

There may be a few photos we haven't seen in that video, but they are not of Yamato or Musashi. :wink:

All the Yamato photos appear to have been obtained either from Irootoku Jr's or my own website. :cool_2:

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:06 am 

NIce!

https://youtu.be/KAP_CXuGTSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:39 am 

Best choice for 1/700 Yamato is?

I see Fujimi makes an as built early war 1/700 Yamato, does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 am 

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4707&start=1800

That page shows some of what they look like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:50 pm 

Additional gallery entries (through 2013) added to the first page

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:47 pm 

GewoonWouter wrote:
I'm somewhat confused at the moment btw: I have the latest Skulski book on Yamato and Musashi and I am currently building Yamato. I always thought that the triple 25mm guns had no gun shields, but the book shows drawings with shields added. I don't think the Kure model has the shielded versions either, can anyone confirm that they didn't have shields?

And the World of Warships Yamato isn't quite a very correct rendition perhaps, but it is fun to play with ^^

Which 25mm triples?

Certainly many of the mounts had one of two different types of blast proof shields.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:59 pm 

I have some questions on the 1:200 Yamato kit from China which appears to be under the name Hobby Bull. I recently acquired the kit and am trying to find out who actually manufactures(ed) the kit. There is a Hobby Bull on the internet but it is a sister store with Engel Modellbau Submarines. There is no information on the Manufacturer at all.

I realize this is a rehash of the discussion that took place about 1 and 1/2 years ago on this forum. First, I would like to know if it is a worthwhile effort to use the L'Arsenal Main and Secondary turrets or would the kit turrets be sufficient. It is on the back of my mind to do a very detailed build since this thread covers almost every detail. The turrets seem to be a main point of contention since there was a lot of discussion about correctness of size and detail. I do have the GMM Yamato PE upgrades and I see on the net that there are more.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This will be my last 1:200 battleship build and I would like to do a creditable job.

Thanks,

IR3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:36 pm 

sandman wrote:
One question remains though. None of the nowadays references tell us how in the name of might the servants would have reached the triple 25mm AA mounts placed on the suspended platforms on the aft low-angle director (10m range finder) tower. Apparently everybody went along with Skulski made-up external reinforcements on the tower neck when any naval engineer in the world would have put there an access door from inside of the director tower to that platform. So in my build I traded external reinforcements for an access door. And that is that.

*LOL* Thank you. I enjoyed that. Common sense must prevail. And in the absence of photos or original diagrams, I'd lean that way too ... Have to look at my Nichimo super-custom build to see if it had a door there, or if I added one too ... can't remember now ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:32 pm 

How would they resupply those guns? They would fire a ton of ammunition.
A ladder to the platform wouldn't be enough.

James

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:14 pm 

Ammo boxes against the bulkheads.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 pm 

sandman wrote:
Senkan wrote:
Ammo boxes against the bulkheads.

Well...let's not forget that in the original build (1941) on those platforms shielded triple 25mm mounts were installed. The space for extra ammo boxes inside those turrets would have been rather limited if at all.
As bucketfoot-al said, in the end it's a matter of common sense. An architect would design a house. On the third floor he would put a balcony. How he would expect people to get there? A. Via a door from the inside the house that opens up to that balcony. B. Climbing a ladder from the floor up, while caring a backpack filled with few tens of kilos (counting for ammo). C. Crawling the monkey bars around the "ears" of the aft range finder tower...of course, while caring a backpack filled with few tens of kilos. Unless the architect is a guy that really hates people, most likely he would go with option A.

As these platforms were part of the original design, I am pretty sure that the interior access would be the only way to get to them. Had they been a post-1943 add-on, then of course all bets were off as the Japanese desperately tried to make up for their lack of CAP support for the fleet following the defeat at Midway by adding dozens of new AA mounts all over the ship ... pathetic though those .25mm guns were ... the US beat the Japanese Empire while expending something like only 15% of the combined US war effort on the Pacific Theater from 1942-1944 ... they could have had their Empire had they not attacked the US ... I am sure that their neighbors are grateful that they did ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:27 am 

I am pretty sure the original enclosed 25mm mounts had to have some kind of hoist inside the shield to supply fresh magazines. With the mount at many angles of bearing there would be no way to hand fresh magazines in through doors in the back.

I also don’t think there is necessarily a door at the back of the aft director tower for accessing the 25mm platform. Ergonomic ease access was not accorded as high a priority in the IJN as might be expected. A ladder wedged between the tower and the circular mount ring would seem entirely plausible to me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:15 pm 

男たちの大和 (Yamato Movie) (Japanese)
https://youtu.be/pP_lwLcANvg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:29 pm 

bucketfoot-al...do you have any parts remaining from your 1/144 Yamato build? Just bought a 1/144 hull with no parts and I need to start somewhere...lol.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm 

Senkan wrote:
bucketfoot-al...do you have any parts remaining from your 1/144 Yamato build? Just bought a 1/144 hull with no parts and I need to start somewhere...lol.

*LOL* I am surprised anyone even remembered ... I started that build in 2009 ... and its still unfinished (no work on it since 2009) ... unfortunately I have no spare parts ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:25 pm 

What about the guns? I saw you bought some after market parts. Did you have the original guns? The thought of scratch building everything is daunting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:35 pm 

Senkan wrote:
What about the guns? I saw you bought some after market parts. Did you have the original guns? The thought of scratch building everything is daunting.

Eureka! I SHOULD still have the original 18" guns (I haven't looked in the box for years, so keep your fingers crossed. I'll have to check). If they turn out to be in here, I'd be happy to ship them to you if you'd like. Just PM me your address. The secondary batteries I am using the originals, and I don't have the old (cheap) AA mounts. I removed those and got rid of them 9 years ago ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:12 pm 

Senkan wrote:

Hey Ken - Check these photos out - I hope this will work!!

Attachments:
IMG_6242.JPG
IMG_6242.JPG [ 157.29 KiB | Viewed 6471 times ]
IMG_6243.JPG
IMG_6243.JPG [ 155.48 KiB | Viewed 6471 times ]
IMG_6244.JPG
IMG_6244.JPG [ 129.55 KiB | Viewed 6471 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 159  Next