The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:58 am 

It happens :)

This one is nice: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Green.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:47 am 

Damn... just wrote a long post and then deleted it by accident...!

Ah well.. second go... but much shorter this time!

Great photo EJ :thumbs_up_1:

Back to Magisterman...

These will be useful, from my later KGV drawings...

Attachment:
IMG_2285.jpg
IMG_2285.jpg [ 120.82 KiB | Viewed 2192 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2284.jpg
IMG_2284.jpg [ 166.28 KiB | Viewed 2192 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:13 am 

Hi MagisterMan,

Any chance of reposting the pic of the 5.25's from your post at bottom of previous page without the red ring in, or alternately the IWM link number?

TIA.

Kevin D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:46 pm 

Hi everyone!
Firstly, thanks for your responses.
EJ and Bill,
I found another picture of KGV demonstrating this position (thnks to EJ for explanation of it's designation), where it looks a bit different from the plans Bill have sent. The point is that I'm completely sure about the ship I'm talking about - it's exactly KGV. The picture that I sent depicts KGV in 1941. The EJ's picture is KGV after great refit. So, possibly, this part of superstructure was also went under refit somehow?
By the way, I found a 3D-render of KGV, where the position is also shown as flat. But I can't say is it worth trusting or not. And unfortunately I do not have the book about which Bill talked about.

For Kevin - I've attached the picture, here you are

Attachments:
large_000000 (1).jpg
large_000000 (1).jpg [ 71.97 KiB | Viewed 2127 times ]
2-KGV_073-276-1139305154.jpg
2-KGV_073-276-1139305154.jpg [ 184.77 KiB | Viewed 2127 times ]
large_000000.jpg
large_000000.jpg [ 55.01 KiB | Viewed 2127 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:56 pm 

MagisterMan wrote:
Hi everyone!
Firstly, thanks for your responses.
EJ and Bill,
I found another picture of KGV demonstrating this position (thnks to EJ for explanation of it's designation), where it looks a bit different from the plans Bill have sent.

You are welcome. The plans I attached are after the refit.

MagisterMan wrote:
EJ's picture is KGV after great refit. So, possibly, this part of superstructure was also went under refit somehow?

Yes, this is what we are saying.

MagisterMan wrote:
the way, I found a 3D-render of KGV, where the position is also shown as flat. But I can't say is it worth trusting or not.

Thats the same section, but prior to the refit. same as your original plans

MagisterMan wrote:
unfortunately I do not have the book about which Bill talked about.

You should try.You need good references and not everything is available on line. Far from it!!

You need to decide your timeframe and build to that. Otherwise this will keep getting more confusing as you go on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:24 pm 

DavidP wrote:
MagisterMan, the side is not flat as in not parallel to the centerline as your last picture proves that.

Thank you David. :big_grin:

Magisterman... are you finding this difficult because you are convinced your Kagero plans are from the timeframe you want to build the model?

The plans you have are the earlier fit, and your kit (POW) is a later fit (KGV class have the same modified section post refit...)

Do you want to build KGV in the earlier, pre-refit guise as per your drawing and the render you attached? If that is the case then you will need to modify the kit.

However, my understanding was that you wanted to build KGV later in the war... so the section you are referring to is not flat. Even your own pictures prove it... and they agree with my late fit drawing.

This means you dont need to modify this section... the kit you have is correct for KGV later in the war (more or less... they have simplified it a little).

Could you please be a little more precise..? Its hard to help without knowing exactly what you want to model. I thought it was KGV, late war... but maybe I got it wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:28 pm 

MagisterMan wrote:
For Kevin - I've attached the picture, here you are

Thanks MagisterMan, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:12 am 

MagisterMan wrote:
The picture that I sent depicts KGV in 1941. The EJ's picture is KGV after great refit. So, possibly, this part of superstructure was also went under refit somehow?

These lookout positions have been present from the original configuration of HMS PoW and appear on the plans as-built. But it does seem flat on A3657, as well as A27009... none of the IWM images have a good view (which is really funny as there are hundreds of KGV pics!). But I also found this image:

Attachment:
scanLIFE.jpg

Appears quite flat to me! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:19 am 

Yep... pre-refit, it was flat.

After the refit, according to photos and the post refit plans of KGV (Burt, BBofWW2), the look out station was added and it was angled, as you first stated.

That’s why I keep asking at what time period does the OP want to model KGV. Without that important bit of information, there is little point in us trying to help him... all we will do is continue to confuse and contradict.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:28 am 

EJ, many thanks to you! May I ask where did you get this picture?

Bill,
I described my building just a couple of pages before, and it seemed a bit strange to me to decribe it again and again every time I had a question. If the time period for my model had been 1945 I just woldn't have changed the position at all as I also have lots of pictures confirming the angled form of position for 1945. I tried to confirm/deny whether this postition was flat until the 1945 and sent pics advocating for that actually was flat. I'm disappointed about this misunderstanding, I really am.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm 

The only reference from you with regard to the time period I could find was 1942-43ss... which is pretty vague and was posted way back on August 9.

You could simply have answered the question and we could have moved on. I’m not going to read back 27 pages to answer a simple question when you could have just posted the year and month and it would have been clear to all - and saved some of us an hour or so of our own time looking up information to help you, only for it to be not relevant.

When people try to help, helping them to help you is normally the most effective way to go.

You are a new member, so perhaps I should be a little more patient...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:03 am 

Is there a direct turret replacement for Tamiya PoW for DoY conversion that is actually available in 3D print?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:45 pm 

I am brand new to this forum but I have had a 1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales since it was first released... I finally have brushed the dust off of the box and am going to get building... Thinking of converting it to KBV in 1941 or DOY in 1943.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:08 am 

creepyguy wrote:
... KBV ...
King Benno the Fifth? :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:31 am 

pascalemod wrote:
Is there a direct turret replacement for Tamiya PoW for DoY conversion that is actually available in 3D print?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/K6U3R ... arketplace

As usual with 3D printed items, some filing and sanding of printing artifacts will be required.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:49 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
creepyguy wrote:
... KBV ...
King Benno the Fifth? :big_grin:

yeah.... that was a typo.... D'oh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 am 

I have a couple books on the KGV class and just ordered the Pontos upgrade... Thanks for all who have provided info in this thread... This will be a fun project... It is the first ship model that I have ever built!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm 

A list of available KGV class kits and gallery entries have been added to page one. There were so many gallery entries (mainly 1/350) that they had to be distributed over the first three posts!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:20 am 

Does anyone have some good, detailed, close-up photos of the KGV class bow deck area? I need some reference on the capstan and cable holders as well as other machineries in the specific area.

Thanks,
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm 

I have looked at my copy of Raven and Roberts ( British Battleships 1976 ) - and there are loads of photos of the rear of the ship and the centre
and one large one that has the breakwater and all the detail aft of that , but not one of the area you refer to , sadly

I do , however have the line drawing plan of the KGV from the book , and I could show you the part with the capstans and the bow section - would this do ?
or is that not of use ??

- if it is , let me know , and I'll scan it here and post it using imagevenue -

regards
David

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 57  Next