The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:38 am 

This is the direct link to the IWM + their description; no
cropping on my part

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:38 pm 
EJFoeth wrote:
This is the direct link to the IWM + their description; no
cropping on my part

Thanks. So the DD is, obviously, just out of the photo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 pm 

Could anyone help please with either a picture of, or where I can find one of the UP directors that were replaced by the pom pom directors during HMS KGV 1941 re-fit, when UP's were removed. Thanks Al.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:07 am 

I've tried finding a good image of this particular sight but have not been able to find any. For the KGV's the directors are very high up in the superstructure in a tub between both the forward and aft HACS directors and despite many excellent shots of these ships the sights are not on them. (And the way this universe works, if a good shot at the right location was found then somebody would be in front of them or they'd be wrapped up in canvas)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:35 am 

Al Newman wrote:
Could anyone help please with either a picture of, or where I can find one of the UP directors that were replaced by the pom pom directors during HMS KGV 1941 re-fit, when UP's were removed. Thanks Al.

If you go back a page in this thread, the last word on this subject was Martocticus giving a link to a description of the sight but no picture

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:02 am 

Thank you both for your replies. Having looked at the previous thread you mentioned Francis, it refers to Greenwich Maritime Museum, where if you look at the attached link and scroll down there is a picture of the rear tub with the director protruding, its not that clear though. https://blog.firedrake.org/archive/2015/01/7521.jpg However as the museum is not that far from where I live i'ii try to get there and take a photo.

From your response EJ did the Type 271 radar fitted in early 1941, replace the forward director. Thanks Al.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 am 

Thanks for the picture Al and well spotted. Interesting that there appears to be only one sight though compared with what was shown in the drawing I referred to.

It will be useful to now what the model arrangement is both at the forward and aft positions

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am 

Al Newman wrote:
From your response EJ did the Type 271 radar fitted in early 1941, replace the forward director.

Don't know unfortunately; the book only has a table with what type of radar was fitted on what ship and when. For the smaller craft it treats the entire class.

Post subject: quad pom-poms on the POW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:47 am 
Unbeknownst to me when I was making the model of it a month ago, but now obvious from two pictures in the latest History Today, the POW had a QUAD pom-pom on its aft turret, not the octuple which all the sources indicate. There is one picture of her docked in Singapore, with Phillips in the foreground, and another of Churchill on the quarterdeck in August, with the aft turret in the background and the (sheilded) pom-pom clearly visible. Its a quad, so heads up if you are making her, but I cannot tell you, and would like to know, if the one on the B turret was a quad or an octuple. Would anybody happen to have any more information? Even Raven and Roberts said it was an octuple.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 am 

Only Y-turret carried a quad, B-turret carried an octuple mount, just watch the video below

The pompoms have some splinter shield in front and behind them, but I would not really call that shielded; I'd reserve that term for the pompoms on HMS King George V below. Can't remember a model having that detail correct :smallsmile:

ON BOARD THE BATTLESHIP HMS KING GEORGE V. MARCH 1941.. © IWM (A 3650)IWM Non Commercial Licence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 am 

EJFoeth wrote:
Only Y-turret carried a quad, B-turret carried an octuple mount, just watch the video below

GREAT historical footage you posted there EJ, do you have a link where it can be played full screen and with sound (as I couldn't get the imbed to do either)!

However, re the following

EJFoeth wrote:
The pompoms have some splinter shield in front and behind them, but I would not really call that shielded; I'd reserve that term for the pompoms on HMS King George V below. Can't remember a model having that detail correct :smallsmile:

With all due respect, I'd hardly call what you refer to in the photo you posted as having 'shielded guns' either. All I see are the waist high sides of the 'gun tub,' or extended platform the weapon sits on, and a splinter shield in front of part of the weapon itself, the extended gun crew themselves look rather exposed / naked to me. But that's just my opinion. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 am 
Thanks for the post, and how many more of this sort of historical first hand resources are there I wonder. Fantastic history which needs preserving. It certainly answered my question. I wonder if the photos I mentioned are stills from a film.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:50 am 

KevinD wrote:
With all due respect, I'd hardly call what you refer to in the photo you posted as having 'shielded guns' either. All I see are the waist high sides of the 'gun tub,' or extended platform the weapon sits on, and a splinter shield in front of part of the weapon itself, the extended gun crew themselves look rather exposed / naked to me. But that's just my opinion. :smallsmile:

The crew has a small compartment on the lower pompom. (Probably more blast related than anything else). But most of them are indeed in the open!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:46 am 

KevinD wrote:
GREAT historical footage you posted there EJ, do you have a link where it can be played full screen and with sound (as I couldn't get the imbed to do either)!

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK8XE0qA9Rs

In the future, just click on the title in the embedded video and it should take you to the video on the full YouTube page.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 am 

Timmy C wrote:
In the future, just click on the title in the embedded video and it should take you to the video on the full YouTube page.

THANKS Timmy!

And I'll repeat, GREAT historical footage! THANKS for posting EJ.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:11 am 

You're welcome :wave_1: I suffered massive detail overload syndrome when first finding this footage. There's much more on the channels of Critical Past and Britisch Pathé, on their own websites and via youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:38 am 

Hi everyone again!
While proceeding with my KGV Tamiya + Pontos model I got a bit confused. I'm now making the superstructure and as the original kit is Tamiya POW, this part (I actually dk how to call it and what it is designated for) looks like on the ship itself - it's angled.
But in the picture of KGV 1942-1943 it seems to look completely different - it is flat.
So where's the truth? Does anyone have other pictures of this part of KGV's superstucture?

BTW Kagero's blueprints also draw this part as flat

Attachments:
POW model.jpg
POW model.jpg [ 76.36 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]
Prince Of Wales.png
Prince Of Wales.png [ 336.26 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]
KGV-min-min.png
KGV-min-min.png [ 248.68 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:40 am 

That's the night-lookout position and it is slightly angled out, not flat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:58 am 

I don’t think this is flat... and the second photo shows the first, left hand opening and then no sign of the second right hand opening, suggesting the edge you see is the angle between the two halves.

I checked the 1940 drawing in Burts British Battleships of World War 2 and there is no sign of it there... but the photo on page 300/301 clearly shows an angled face in the aerial photo of Duke of York, one of the other KGV class.

However, after KGV’s refit, the extension shows clearly on the drawing on page 307. It’s certainly angled.

There is also a photo of KGV in late 1943 on page 303 which shows that same extension and it looks angles to me... and it’s the same era as your third photo.

I am sure others will chime in here, but there are likely to be a few differences between KGV and the others of the same class... so you will need to be certain you are referencing the same ship at the correct time frame whenever you are working from photos...

I think your Kagero drawing is too early to show the changes... I would look for a drawing closer to the time period you want to model.

It’s also worth picking up some good references. British Battleships of World War 2 has some very useful drawings and photos of KGV and her sisters.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:01 am 

Whoops... crossed post!

Agreed EJ. :thumbs_up_1:

Now I have started looking, I have hundreds of photos of this area! (Well, twenty or so anyway... :heh: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 57  Next