The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Posts: 1173
Cag wrote:
Hello All,

Hello Pascalemod, yes the deck was stained on the 8th May, so for your time period it's scrubbed decks as you say. However it's your model and it's up to you, PoW arrived at Scapa from Rosyth at the very end of March and began her trial engine and turning runs etc, but even in early May she was still doing trials and exercises. Due to the threat of raiders etc her Captain reported her fit for duties only days prior to setting off with Hood.

The boats, well to be honest and stay factual it's difficult to tell, it's only assumption on my part as there is only a few aerial shots and most of the boats are covered, but her plans say 3x45 foot motor boats and 1x45 motor launch. But then I'm sure I see 2x45 foot launches in one image but again its covered.

In the image it looks like a 25 foot is in the outboard boat deck position which would make the one on the upper deck similar, but again Im afraid Im not sure as the 32 foot cutter usually placed in front of P1 5.25 mount is missing and it looks a bit like that too!

It's just one of the many new anomalies I'm still trying to figure out.

Hope that helps a little
Best wishes
Cag.

P.S. edit. I've looked at my copy of that image and there doesn't seem to be a boat on the upper deck in the position seen in your image Pascalemod? Only the accommodation ladder and a large rope reel. There must be numerous copies that show different things? Why I'm not sure.

Also in the damage report it lists boats lost
2x45 foot fast motor boats
1x45 foot launch
3x25 foot fast motor boats
2x 27 foot whalers
2x 14 foot dinghies
1x 32 foot cutter

One of the 45 fast motor boats lost and one of the 27 foot whalers lost were completely missing presumed destroyed.

Best wishes again
Cag.


Well that Picture is quite interesting isn't it? It shows a smaller boat - 27foot, vs 45ft. It is covered in white tarp, not in grey, while the 45ft (and all others) covered in grey. What is in place of the 27foot?? Is it just moved to 45ft place? Did they lose the 45ft (place of which is occupied). or they had 4 27ft ones? It is all quite curious. :heh:

As ship here is going to battle, it makes sense to have boats covered in grey. It also makes sense to remove the forward boats near 5in guns as one would anyway remove boats from deck for action (Bismark has done the same for example).

_________________
It's never too late for a great childhood!


Last edited by pascalemod on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:12 pm
Posts: 2704
would probably move the boats out of the 5.25" gun arcs as gun blast won't harm the boats but the tarps.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 112
Hello All,

Hi Pascalemod, thinking about it if the damage report mentions only 2 x 45 foot fast motor boats and one 45 foot launch that means a 45 foot boat is missing, which would explain a small boat in a large boats cradle? There are 2x27 foot whalers mentioned but only one 32 foot cutter.

It could be the 32 foot cutter is being stored in that position, as yourself and DavidP say, to protect from blast?

Even despite this numerous fittings, wooden decking, lights, including the main hangar lights, all were damaged by PoW own guns.

Also PoW crew were given postcards to send home, one was a pic of the ships bows (we have one as my uncle served aboard her and he sent one home!) at sea which showed 4 carley floats in two stacks of two on the deck just behind the forward breakwater (long dimension of floats in line with fore and aft line of ship).

A little while later these were moved and can be seen on the forward vertical face of the boat deck, directly opposite the hangar doors in the catapult deck area. So depending on when you want to model your PoW either placing is ok.

Hope that's a bit of help
Best wishes
Cag.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:58 pm 
Cag and Pascalemod,

I am a little confused here by the list of boats given in Cag's post of 3.15am of 1 Sept. Is Cag suggesting that the whole establishment of the ship's boats was "lost?" Surely he should have said that those mentioned had been "landed," "disembarked" or sent back to the "dockyard boat pool?" To me "lost" means destroyed due to enemy action/weather or blast damage and thus they had been struck off charge.

Be that as it may, Cag makes no mention of the 13ft 6inch long balsa raft in the establishment of boats: one can be seen in one of the images showing the damage to the ship after the Denmark Strait action.

Concerning the 32ft cutter located forward of P1 5.25inch mounting. If that is the boat that can be seen hanging in davits in some photographs of the ship: this may clear the matter up. That was one of the seaboats, there will normally have been one on the starboard side. Most British battleships removed their seaboats with their associated davits under war conditions. Anyone who went overboard was rescued by the escorting destroyers (if he was lucky). These boats may have been "landed" back to dockyard control or possibly kept onboard, with space found for them somewhere on the upper deck out of harm's way.

Now, that photograph in Pascalemod's post of 3.36pm of 31 Aug. I have no wish to be seen as looking for errors here but are we sure that it shows PoW in the position given and on the date stated? Was the ship in the area indicated on the date given: it is somewhere to the south-south-west of the Faroe Islands. If so, then it indicates that there was a change to the normal layout of the boats onboard.
I would see nothing odd in that.

I've looked carefully at it. The boat under the pale-looking "tarp:" (actually a canvas cover) in the port outboard position on the boat deck has all the signs of being a covered 25ft fast motor boat and thus displacing (for some reason) one of the 45ft fast motor boats.
Further to this Cag, appears to have misinterpreted what he is seeing in that picture: the boat below the one on the boat deck seems to be an image of the one above, moved down and high-lighted to draw attention to it. I apologise if I am wrong.

The other boats in the image are all covered by dark grey dyed (or painted) canvas. The lighter coloured cover is probably un-painted/undyed canvas; which was an ash-grey colour.

Finally, others have said to Pascalemod that it is his model and that he can do what he likes with it. However, he seems to want to get things correct and I applaud him for it, therefore I'm going to make a couple of observations that he might like to consider:

1. The boats of British battleships of that period were usually "covered" on going to sea unless there was a need to access them for maintenance. This was to keep the spray and soot from the ship's boilers when soot was "blown" out of them.
2. Be careful of using "colours" to paint ships' boats. The usual colours were grey (except where part of the camouflage scheme was also applied to the boat). Emerald green was the preserve of boats carried for the Commander-in-Chief of a fleet, dark blue for admirals holding a lesser position afloat. However, there will no doubt be someone who will draw attention images in Raven and Roberts' "British Battleships" that show boats with black hulls: so be it. The upper works of motor boats was usually white with the after cabin of the old 50ft and 45ft steam boats varnished. Whatever the case, I've always understood that the Admiralty took a dim view of boats that were not painted in the approved (conservative) manner.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:20 am
Posts: 197
Thanks for posting the 2nd photo Pascalemod! :thumbs_up_1:

_________________
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant, HMS Repulse. 8 December 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942


Last edited by KevinD on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 112
Hi All

Hello Guest, thank you for the information on boats etc its much appreciated. Your point on boats lost is well made, the gist of my post was the number and type of boats listed as being on board, and presumably lost due to being missing, unrepairable or damaged and repairable, but to be more accurate

Boats missing
1x45 foot fast motor boat
1x27 foot whaler

Boats removed damaged beyond repair
2x25 foot fast motor boats

Boats removed capable of repair
1x45 foot fast motor boat
1x45 foot launch
1x25 foot fast motor boat
1x32 foot cutter
1x27 foot whaler
2x14 foot dinghies

Yes the raft, that presumably was on board as on the plans it's indicated as stored on the roof of the boat deck engine room vent. However it's not mentioned in the damage report, nor is the 16ft fast motor dinghy or "skimming dish" (The two catamaran fenders stored in the catapult deck area are not mentioned either).

As for the boat on the deck, I agree, as I pointed out in my post, in my copy of that image it did not show this boat, only the reel and the companion ladder. I'm sure you're correct that somehow in some images it's been transposed down for some reason, simple reproduction error?

Hi Pascalemod, yes that second image is what I have, it shows no boat on the deck, it would seem odd to not see boats in front of P1 only to store one next to P4 if its to protect from blast!

I agree with the sentiments expressed by guest that your, and others, wish to be ultra accurate is commendable, and of course if I can help in any way it's a pleasure, because your model is a pleasure to view!

Unfortunately having done a lot of research on PoW and the Denmark Strait battle, there are sometimes things we think we know, things we presume are probable, but sometimes there are things we just don't know and this where, in our models, artistic licence takes over.

For example I know that on a certain day her log states her deck was stained, I know of a memo that instructs HM ships to stain decks and what to use, but I don't know if PoW crew used that particular stain, what exact parts of the deck or how much was stained and how and where it wore off.

In images a wet deck can look like a stained deck, so which areas are wet, and which are stained? Therefore I can only say its your model and if you are happy with your representation based on what facts we are sure of, then again it will be a very great pleasure to see your finished model and appreciate the hard work youve put in.

Best wishes
Cag.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:20 am
Posts: 197
Cag wrote:
As for the boat on the deck, I agree, as I pointed out in my post, in my copy of that image it did not show this boat, only the reel and the companion ladder. I'm sure you're correct that somehow in some images it's been transposed down for some reason, simple reproduction error?

Hi Pascalemod, yes that second image is what I have, it shows no boat on the deck, it would seem odd to not see boats in front of P1 only to store one next to P4 if its to protect from blast!

Pardon my ignorance Cag, but are your above two paragraphs talking about the same photo or two different photos?

Whatever the case may be, would you be kind enough to point out what photo/s which of your paragraphs refer to please?

TIA.
Kevin

_________________
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant, HMS Repulse. 8 December 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 112
Hello All,

Hello Kevin, no problem I should have connected them really. They are about the same image yes.

The image is the one Pascalemod posted of PoW on her way to the Denmark Strait battle, if as the guest poster intimates, it is a pic at that time as I too have seen many a PoW image that is either dated wrong or is really KGV.

My copy only shows a boat on the boat deck, not on the upper deck behind P4 5.25" mounting.

I hope that helps, sorry for any confusion,
Best wishes
Cag.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:59 am
Posts: 137
No doubt about it being PoW, at least. The Bofors on the quarterdeck guarantees that.

_________________
King George V class Battleships in 3D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:20 am
Posts: 197
Cag wrote:
My copy only shows a boat on the boat deck, not on the upper deck behind P4 5.25" mounting.


Thanks for your reply Cag!

Any chance of posting the above photo of yours you refer to? :big_grin: Or is it already somewhere in the thread?

TIA.
Kevin

_________________
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant, HMS Repulse. 8 December 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 112
Hi All

Hi Kevin, yes no problem it's the pair of images on page 42 that Pascalemod posted at 3.36 on Aug 31st.

They show a port side quarter view of PoW dated 22/05/41 in position that is stated to be 60°40' N 06° 00' W.

I think there's a corresponding image of Hood taken around the same time I presume but dont quote me that is meant to be of her on passage to what would have been Iceland at that point.

Hope that's ok
Best wishes
Cag.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Posts: 1173
I reply inline in bold.

Guest wrote:
Cag and Pascalemod,

Be that as it may, Cag makes no mention of the 13ft 6inch long balsa raft in the establishment of boats: one can be seen in one of the images showing the damage to the ship after the Denmark Strait action.

I see this also. May be I should model that thingy. Good you noticed this, I really also did in the damage photos but couldnt recall what that was (I only recall seeing it on Hood plans).

Concerning the 32ft cutter located forward of P1 5.25inch mounting. If that is the boat that can be seen hanging in davits in some photographs of the ship: this may clear the matter up. That was one of the seaboats, there will normally have been one on the starboard side. Most British battleships removed their seaboats with their associated davits under war conditions. Anyone who went overboard was rescued by the escorting destroyers (if he was lucky). These boats may have been "landed" back to dockyard control or possibly kept onboard, with space found for them somewhere on the upper deck out of harm's way.

Dont know the photo of that boat hanging on davits, where aft or fwd?

Now, that photograph in Pascalemod's post of 3.36pm of 31 Aug. I have no wish to be seen as looking for errors here but are we sure that it shows PoW in the position given and on the date stated? Was the ship in the area indicated on the date given: it is somewhere to the south-south-west of the Faroe Islands. If so, then it indicates that there was a change to the normal layout of the boats onboard.
I would see nothing odd in that.

We are sure on that it is PoW, that much is clear due to deck placements of other stuff. Lets not doubt for the sake of doubt. :D Indeed there was a change to normal layout of boats (again!).

I've looked carefully at it. The boat under the pale-looking "tarp:" (actually a canvas cover) in the port outboard position on the boat deck has all the signs of being a covered 25ft fast motor boat and thus displacing (for some reason) one of the 45ft fast motor boats.
Further to this Cag, appears to have misinterpreted what he is seeing in that picture: the boat below the one on the boat deck seems to be an image of the one above, moved down and high-lighted to draw attention to it. I apologise if I am wrong.

It would indeed seem a 25ft motor boat (because it looks tall, not short, so not any of the front ones) sitting in place of 45ft. I was right in seeing this, and glad everyone caught up to this i guess. Indeed Cag, I posted an original pic, you mr Guest understood correctly. Boat below is just duplicate to draw attention,. sorry for confusion. You are correct.

The other boats in the image are all covered by dark grey dyed (or painted) canvas. The lighter coloured cover is probably un-painted/undyed canvas; which was an ash-grey colour.

Finally, others have said to Pascalemod that it is his model and that he can do what he likes with it. However, he seems to want to get things correct and I applaud him for it, therefore I'm going to make a couple of observations that he might like to consider:

1. The boats of British battleships of that period were usually "covered" on going to sea unless there was a need to access them for maintenance. This was to keep the spray and soot from the ship's boilers when soot was "blown" out of them.
2. Be careful of using "colours" to paint ships' boats. The usual colours were grey (except where part of the camouflage scheme was also applied to the boat). Emerald green was the preserve of boats carried for the Commander-in-Chief of a fleet, dark blue for admirals holding a lesser position afloat. However, there will no doubt be someone who will draw attention images in Raven and Roberts' "British Battleships" that show boats with black hulls: so be it. The upper works of motor boats was usually white with the after cabin of the old 50ft and 45ft steam boats varnished. Whatever the case, I've always understood that the Admiralty took a dim view of boats that were not painted in the approved (conservative) manner.

So in POW case considering there was no admiral on board, the boats should be grey like the ship, BUT since we had some pics of those boats in black (i.e. navy blue i guess) we think both colors are ok to use, yes? Just to understand correctly what you said in pt 2.


A question to you Guest also - how did they cover boats in canvas that were stacked into each other? One large canvas over all? Only canvas on top the smallest of them, and rest were not covered? I dont get how you stack 2 boats into the 45ft launch, and cover the 45ft launch in meaningful way. Any idea?

KevinD wrote:
Thanks for posting the 2nd photo Pascalemod! :thumbs_up_1:

You're welcome. Also cleared up few questions.

_________________
It's never too late for a great childhood!


Last edited by pascalemod on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Posts: 1173
Cag wrote:
Hi All


Boats missing
1x45 foot fast motor boat
1x27 foot whaler

Boats removed damaged beyond repair
2x25 foot fast motor boats

Boats removed capable of repair
1x45 foot fast motor boat
1x45 foot launch
1x25 foot fast motor boat
1x32 foot cutter
1x27 foot whaler
2x14 foot dinghies

Yes the raft, that presumably was on board as on the plans it's indicated as stored on the roof of the boat deck engine room vent. However it's not mentioned in the damage report, nor is the 16ft fast motor dinghy or "skimming dish" (The two catamaran fenders stored in the catapult deck area are not mentioned either).

As for the boat on the deck, I agree, as I pointed out in my post, in my copy of that image it did not show this boat, only the reel and the companion ladder. I'm sure you're correct that somehow in some images it's been transposed down for some reason, simple reproduction error?

Hi Pascalemod, yes that second image is what I have, it shows no boat on the deck, it would seem odd to not see boats in front of P1 only to store one next to P4 if its to protect from blast!

I agree with the sentiments expressed by guest that your, and others, wish to be ultra accurate is commendable, and of course if I can help in any way it's a pleasure, because your model is a pleasure to view!

Unfortunately having done a lot of research on PoW and the Denmark Strait battle, there are sometimes things we think we know, things we presume are probable, but sometimes there are things we just don't know and this where, in our models, artistic licence takes over.

For example I know that on a certain day her log states her deck was stained, I know of a memo that instructs HM ships to stain decks and what to use, but I don't know if PoW crew used that particular stain, what exact parts of the deck or how much was stained and how and where it wore off.

In images a wet deck can look like a stained deck, so which areas are wet, and which are stained? Therefore I can only say its your model and if you are happy with your representation based on what facts we are sure of, then again it will be a very great pleasure to see your finished model and appreciate the hard work youve put in.

Best wishes
Cag.


Note my picture below. I have tried to place the boats you indicated. I guess the one I didnt know about is 16ft one? So thats what FH think boat placement is at least for 12.41 but it is same for 5.41.

What P1 and P4 boat storage you mention? I cannot see anything there.. .:D I plan to rearrange boats based on mentions - probably remove the 45ft foot on port side, put the 25ft there, but then not sure what happens to the space it leaves. What goes instead of it there?

Indeed the deck question is a funny one. I agree that fully wet deck will look dark grey on pics. I also dont think why it should be fully wet in those sea conditions. They look uniformly dark. And it has been done. It also can be fully scrubbed clean and drying. It could be anything. If logs say it should be dark, it should be painted dark as it makes a lot of sense. Germans allowed their decks to just age to greyish color during same time, so grey decks were a thing. Such a tough one!

Who knew this can be so complicated!


Attachments:
IMG_0120 (1).jpg
IMG_0120 (1).jpg [ 202.36 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]
File comment: the full flyhawk arrangement on PoW offered.
IMG_0124s.jpg
IMG_0124s.jpg [ 227.32 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]

_________________
It's never too late for a great childhood!
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:04 am 
Pascalemod,

"I don't know what it is" is a 16ft fast motor dinghy aka "skimmer" or "skimming dish." Details provided by Cag seem to indicate that it was not onboard during the Denmark Strait action (he will correct me, if I am wrong). The "27ft cutters" are in fact the 25ft fast motor boats. Cag indicates that all of these boats were onboard.

Can you see the two 32ft cutters that are forward of P1 and S1 5.25 mountings in the last photographs of the ship that you posted? No? Then they weren't there at that time. In any case they would have been reduced to flying match-sticks if the forward 14inch mountings ever had to fire on an after bearing! If they were still onboard and all the details that Cag has supplied indicates that only one was, then they (or it if only one) were/was probably stowed in the waist aft of the catapult, forward of the after superstructure. Don't take everything that you see on a set of kit assembly drawings as "read."

Re: Covering the boats, I'll get back to you.

PS One thing that "Flyhawk" does not appear to have provided a model of is the 13ft 6inch balsa raft, which appears to have been stowed on top of the grey "square" in the middle of the boat group in your model. Cag has identified what this structure was in a previous post.

PPS Building from "scratch" is much more fun........ and much more frustrating! Especially if you have to draw the plans as well.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:20 am
Posts: 197
Cag wrote:
My copy only shows a boat on the boat deck, not on the upper deck behind P4 5.25" mounting.

Again, pardon my obtuseness, but I assume you mean this - yellow arrow point - is a boat?


Attachments:
PoW-boats.jpg
PoW-boats.jpg [ 195.85 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]

_________________
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant, HMS Repulse. 8 December 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm
Posts: 2576
KevinD wrote:
Again, pardon my obtuseness, but I assume you mean this - yellow arrow point - is a boat?


That's an embarkation ladder. More civilized image:

Attachment:
Ensign_01_016.jpg
Ensign_01_016.jpg [ 273.99 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]


Not shown: whaler starboard to B-turret, cutter + (gig or whaler) near the catapult.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 112
Hi All

Hi Pascalemod, again I must not be making myself clear sorry, my meaning was it would be odd for the crew to move a boat usually stationed in front of P1 5.25 mount, and then place one directly behind P4 5.25 mount as seen in the image you posted.

I'm pretty sure our guest poster is correct in that it's an image problem and that no boat would be placed there. Hope that's a bit clearer?

Hi Kevin, sorry again, no I was in fact meaning the covered boat seen in the image of PoW on the 22nd of May posted by Pascalemod on page 42 of this thread. EJ is correct the structure you have arrowed is the companion ladder that is used to access the quarterdeck.

That and a cable reel is all I see in my image copy (the two images on page 42, the top one has a boat, the bottom one is like my image and has only a ladder and a reel), I hope that's a bit clearer.

Hello Guest, thank you for your info, it all builds up a better picture. I'm not sure if the 16 foot boat was shipped, the report says all boats were damaged, and then lists them, but again its a "we dont know" situation and so it would be speculation and conjecture for me to say it definitely wasn't there.

Hope that helps
Best wishes
Cag.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Posts: 1173
EJFoeth wrote:
KevinD wrote:
Again, pardon my obtuseness, but I assume you mean this - yellow arrow point - is a boat?


That's an embarkation ladder. More civilized image:

Attachment:
Ensign_01_016.jpg


Not shown: whaler starboard to B-turret, cutter + (gig or whaler) near the catapult.


So this is awesome... There is like a bunch of boats opposite of the plane hangar, like what we would see later in KGV clas when they ditched the planes. It seems like 3 45ft motor boats are covered, and there are like extra boats placed on main deck where planes are.

What is happening with these boats!

_________________
It's never too late for a great childhood!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:34 pm 
Pascalemod (and anyone else that happens to be reading the relevant posts)

My mind is in a whirl!!

Re: Nesting of boats.

Although I have no personal experience of nesting boats, there are photographs extant showing up to two other boats nested inside a larger one. This was done by placing the crutches for each boat on the thwarts (seats) of the larger boat below it then securing them so that they did not move. Each of the small boats was then "landed" on its crutches. Once the "nest" was complete or the appropriate number of boats in a "nest" was complete, "gripes" were passed over the "nest" and secured to the deck below the "nest."

Re: Covering of boats.

Covers were provided for each of what was known as the "boom" boats (boom boats because in the days of sail, a ship's boats were stowed amidships on the spare booms and spars). If the designers contemplated a "nest" of boats, a cover was made that covered the intended "nest." It is possible, however, that each of the smaller boats in a "nest" was also provided with its own cover in case of need.
If some of the boats in a "nest" were absent then the big cover did duty for those remaining.

Re: A fly in the ointment (See Image 0 in your post of 04 4.54am Sept)

The boat in the top right corner on your group is a representative of a 32ft motor cutter (a power-driven version of the 32ft pulling/sailing cutter); which PoW does not appear to have carried.

Cag,

I get the impression that you are working on a book that will deal with PoW alone. Good on you! "Seaforth" would be a good publisher to try when you finish writing it. If ever there was a battleship that got dealt a bad hand in the card game, it was her. Best Wishes.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:20 am
Posts: 197
Guest wrote:
My mind is in a whirl!!
You an me both 'guest'. :smallsmile:

Re the following;
Cag wrote:
My copy only shows a boat on the boat deck, not on the upper deck behind P4 5.25" mounting.

Cag wrote:
Hi Kevin, sorry again, no I was in fact meaning the covered boat seen in the image of PoW on the 22nd of May posted by Pascalemod on page 42 of this thread. EJ is correct the structure you have arrowed is the companion ladder that is used to access the quarterdeck. Cag.

Colour me stupid but..................................I still don’t get it. I only see two pics that Pascalemod posted on page 42 with boats in - now in "screen grab" below - and while I see one covered boat on the boat deck above / between P3 and P4, I don't see any boat on upper deck behind P4 in either of them (as, as EJ has confirmed it is a 'ladder'). Like I said, what am I missing? :eyes_spinning: Do you have a similar but different photo showing a boat literally behind P4 on upperdeck, which must mean aft of P4 if it is on the upperdeck, no? Sorry to be a pain in the arse with this! :doh_1:


Attachments:
PoW boat.JPG
PoW boat.JPG [ 57.32 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]

_________________
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant, HMS Repulse. 8 December 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group