The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:47 am 

The arrowed object in the photo appears to be a chart table, presumably with a chair between it and the compass binnacle. It has a wooden (?) cover on three sides and above, with a drop-down canvas cover on the after side to (a) shield the chart from adverse weather and (b) prevent light escaping at night.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:31 am 

tjstoneman wrote:
The arrowed object in the photo appears to be a chart table, presumably with a chair between it and the compass binnacle. It has a wooden (?) cover on three sides and above, with a drop-down canvas cover on the after side to (a) shield the chart from adverse weather and (b) prevent light escaping at night.

Thank you for answer.
What is a "chart" on a warship?
What kind of picture or map is the "chart" on the ship?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:48 am 

Whilst Wikipedia may have its limitations, searching for "Nautical Chart" should give you the answer. Basically the chart in use would show the area the ship was sailing through - its scale depended upon the circumstances, and why it was in use at the location concerned. On the bridge, it would usually be for navigation, in the plotting office for keeping track of the tactical situation, in the charthouse for planning, etc. Note that, in 1941-42, Admiralty charts were monochrome!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:11 pm 

I'm at the last build stage of the academy kit , using the WEM p/e , and that last build is the supermarine Walrus. Neither in the kit nor the p/e can I find a launch cradle for the Walrus.. Among walrus images on Google there are photos of a launch cradle. First , DOES ANYONE KNOW , if Warspite actually used a cradle to launch the Walrus's? And if so is there any other option other than scrounging the p/e and building one on my own?

Last edited by Timmy C on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into QE class thread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:21 pm 

Don't think the cradle is available separately in any existing PE set, though you can certainly ask in the Trading Post section to see if anyone has an unused cradle from their overall ship PE sets. An option might be to have the handling crane be depicted in the process of lifting the Walrus out of the water/from a loading dock?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:05 am 

Barry Dosogne,

Re: Your post of 11.11pm 24 Jun

I cannot provide you with any pictures but it is highly likely that HMS WARSPITE's catapult launching trolley/cradle for a Walrus amphibian would not have been any different from that of any other British warship of the time.

There are pictures of the item on Page 18 of the EXETER/YORK subject and if you search exhaustively elsewhere on this site, you will find a copy of the training film dealing with the launching of the subject aircraft that someone posted.

The best reference, however, might be Ross Watton's book on the ship in the "Anatomy" series. I seem to recall that it may have a drawing of the fitting with the aircraft but I am not sure.

Re: building your own. Why PE? some superglue and very fine wire would make a very fine replica: not difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:57 am 

The launching trolley was part of the catapult, not a separate item, and would have been present on the catapult, whether there was an aircraft there or not, until the catapult itself was landed in 1943 (which is the period depicted in the side view drawing on Page 56 of Watton's book). The trolley is visible in Photo 15 on Page 27 of this book.

Even if the aircraft was in the process of being lifted on or off the catapult, the trolley would still remain as part of the latter.

Post subject: HMS Barham
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:44 am 

Welcome

Hello every one. Im looking for body lines of this type of warships (exclude Profile Morskie).

PS. I build paper model 1:200 of this battleship of polish publisher Answer/Angraf
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:20 am 

Hello
I saw in internet photos of aerial view for HMS Queen Elizabeth
Is this possible to recive from anyone in better quality because I have a poor.
thanks
chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:35 am 

Eighty years ago today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrISbwy_zI&t=1s

R.I.P. to all those lost with H.M.S. Barham.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:28 am 

A photo of H.M.S. Barham's sinking that I had not seen before from the Imperial War Museum. H.M.S. Valiant visible nearby too though she is too far way to get a good look at her camouflage. Photo preview posted for ease of viewing and discussion, copyright rests with original owner:

Attachment:
HMS Barham sinking November 25th 1941.jpg
HMS Barham sinking November 25th 1941.jpg [ 144.58 KiB | Viewed 9511 times ]

Original here:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205194526

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:12 am 

Mr. Church wrote:
A photo of H.M.S. Barham's sinking that I had not seen before from the Imperial War Museum. H.M.S. Valiant visible nearby too though she is too far way to get a good look at her camouflage. Photo preview posted for ease of viewing and discussion, copyright rests with original owner:

Attachment:
The attachment HMS Barham sinking November 25th 1941.jpg is no longer available

Original here:
Mr. Church wrote:

Attachment:
The attachment HMS Barham sinking November 25th 1941.jpg is no longer available

Original here:

Attachments:
File comment: Here is one. I originally posted it here in 2009!!! Time flies.
HMS Valiant (2).jpg
HMS Valiant (2).jpg [ 64.25 KiB | Viewed 9441 times ]

Measure twice, cut once. Measuring once could be quicker...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:51 am 

Very nice. Will have to model it some day.

Looking at the photo of poor H.M.S. Barham sinking again, it is noticeable that the dark parts of her camouflage appear lighter than the waterline stripe. So assuming the waterline was black that would seem to suggest a dark grey for the camouflage. I don't know of any colour photos of Barham in that guise.

Attachment:
HMS Barham sinking November 25th 1941 R1.jpg
HMS Barham sinking November 25th 1941 R1.jpg [ 33.58 KiB | Viewed 9338 times ]

In any case it is an attractive colour scheme.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:43 pm 

On this day 80 years ago in 1941, the Italian Raid on Alexandria badly damages H.M.S Queen Elizabeth and H.M.S. Valiant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vk8EC7LDRE

1941 was a terrible year for the Queen Elizabeth Class, H.M.S. Barham sunk and H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth and H.M.S. Valiant badly damaged. And all in the space of a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:42 am 

Not to mention HMS WARSPITE already hors de combat!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:35 pm 

I'd forgotten about that.. God. Only H.M.S. Malaya to hold the fort.

Apparently when Warspite was in Puget Sound being repaired, her AA guns were hastily re-ammunitioned in the days after Pearl Harbour, 'just in case'. Despite her ongoing repair works.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:27 pm 

Looking at possibly picking up the 1/700 Trumpeter '42 Warspite. What changes would I need to make if I wanted the ship to somewhat resemble her appearance during the Normandy bombardments? (Jun '44).

Additionally, was her camo during this time different from '43?

Thanks!

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:28 am 

DavidP wrote:
read the 3rd paragraph under "modifications" in this link. https://www.world-war.co.uk/bb/qe_class.php

Thank you David, that gives me a pretty good idea on what changes were made

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:30 pm 

To add some questions here.

1. HMS Warspite went through refit (incl. adding 20mm Oerlikon) between Aug-Dec 41 in US.

The Swiss-made MKI 20mm Oerlikon was in shortage (around 100) and RN only started getting enough new MKIIA 20mm Oerlikon manufactured domestically from Nov 41.

So for HMS Warspite, were the 20mms added during her refit in US, a US model or British MKIIA?

2. Can I use the #D printed 15'' turrets carried by HMS Queen Elizabeth on Trumpeter's 1/700 Warspite 1942? I checked Trumpeter's parts, there are no material differences. Just double check.

https://micromaster.co.nz/collections/r ... abeth-1943

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:23 am 

Hello everyone
Is anybody can help with model building I mean I looking for scaned drawings the same as in museum. I make QE from polish publisher "answer"
thanks for any help
chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next