The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:19 am 

Dino Carrancini scratchbuilt a fantastic Barham in 1/350 here.

Regards,
Aop

--1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)

And our artworks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:35 am 

Did HMS Malaya had the enlarged openings in the turret for greater elevation of the main guns as well ? Trumpeter's 1/700 1943 version kit show that he has the larger openings for the main guns compared with the turrets of 1918 HMS Queen Elizabeth. Is that correct ?
Thanks in advance. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:47 am 

Neither BARHAM nor MALAYA had their main armament elevation increased; this was only done to WARSPITE, VALIANT and QUEEN ELIZABETH during their reconstructions. Trumpeter mistakenly (or deliberately, to save costs) used the same mouldings for all five of the 1/700 Second World War versions of the class.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:34 pm 

tjstoneman wrote:
Neither BARHAM nor MALAYA had their main armament elevation increased; this was only done to WARSPITE, VALIANT and QUEEN ELIZABETH during their reconstructions. Trumpeter mistakenly (or deliberately, to save costs) used the same mouldings for all five of the 1/700 Second World War versions of the class.

And thats what I dont get it.... they had the correct turrets on the HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Warspite in the WWI version but the wrong ones in HMS Barham and HMS Malaya. How do they save cost by that, I think some times quality control in Trumpeter is a bit rushed, rushed to a danger degree sometimes.
Thats SO frustrating as is a major work for my skills to correct those mistakes. Thank you Trumpeter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:23 pm 

they saved money by not making new moulds for the sprue(s) the turrets where part of.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:16 am 

But they did made correct turrets for WWI versions of HMS QE and HMS Warspite, why they dint use them again on HMS Barham and HMS Malaya is beyond reason. The strange thing is that the second HMS Queen Elizabeth release from Trumpeter was HMS Barham while the first in 1/700 was the 1918 version of HMS Queen Elizabeth, instead of using the turrets from the first release they choose to mold new turret that was highly inaccurate for HMS Barham at least(and later for HMS Malaya).
Indeed a decision beyond reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:58 am 

I presume you have both different time period versions of the QE class battleships? I presume the sprue the turrets & barrels where part of had other parts on it so were both sprues identical or different?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:29 pm 

All seven (so far) of the Trumpeter 1/700 scale Queen Elizabeth class models have two copies of the runner with the main armament turrets, gun barrels etc (inaccurate barrels, at that, which have a strange ring around the muzzles); all these runners contain exactly the same parts, differing only in the turrets themselves. As noted previously, the Second World War versions ALL have the enlarged openings to allow higher elevation of the guns, correct only for QE, VALIANT and WARSPITE; these turret mouldings also have depressions moulded on the inside which the builder is invited to drill out if required for the light AA fitted on some of the turrets of the real ships. The WARSPITE and QE Great War kits have the smaller openings and (I think) no depressions underneath.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:08 pm 

Like tjstoneman said.
WWI versions of HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Warspite has the correct turrets, the ones without the openings.
HMS Valiant, HSM Warspite and HMS Queen Elizabeth WWII version has also the correct turrets with the enlarged openings.
The WWII versions of HMS Barham and HMS Malaya 1943 got the enlarged openings turrets cause for some unexplained reason, Trumpeter choose not to use ship them with turrets of WWI verion of HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Warspite.
Trumpeter continues the trend of releasing famous warships(HMS Warpite, USS South Dakota etc) but somewhere in the line they mess up, accurate WWI version of HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Valiant, and terrible amateur mistakes, worng turrets, abominable mian gun barrels and mixed up result with accuracy, for example the most famous member of the class HMS Warspite both the WWI or the WWII are 100% correct.For example the HMS Warspite 1915 is a reboxed 1918 HMS Queen Elizabeth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:21 am 

Hello i need your help!

I want to build a Turret from the Warspite with a landing deck for a Sopwith Camel. I need a technical plan of the Turret. Are sombody abel to send me a copy, that i can build it in 1:32?

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:48 pm 
Hello,

I'm planning to build HMS Queen Elizabeth in her 1944-45 configuration. The base model is Trumpeter kit in 1941.
Could anyone help me to find what ship camo she's using during that time, and what kind of modification and refit she have?.

Thank you all for your help. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:59 am 

http://www.world-war.co.uk/bb/qe_class.php3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 am 

In late 1944, her disruptive camouflage was changed to an Admiralty Standard scheme.

Although the kit claims to show her 1941 configuration, it actually (loosely) represents her after the 1942-43 USA repairs and before the modernisation refit in UK in 1943. By 1944 the aircraft and catapult had been removed, and the former catapult deck was used for boat stowage. The space made available on the hangar roof was used for a deckhouse either side of the funnel for three twin 20mm Oerlikon mountings, and for pompom directors; other twin 20mm were fitted abreast "X" turret, at the after end of Number 3 Platform Deck (kit part A12), replacing two single Oerlikons), on the shelter deck (part H14) abreast the tower bridge and either side of the catapult deck (in addition to those on "B" and "X" turrets as shown in the kit). The single mountings displaced from Number 3 platform deck were re-fitted on the catapult deck, for'd of the new twin mountings there. The rangefinders (parts K1) and 44" searchlights (parts G11) on the after superstructure appear to have been replaced by single 20mm.

The Carley float arrangement on the sides of the tower bridge was also different from that depicted by trumpeter.

Trumpeter have not bothered to add the SR.RDF (gunnery radar) antenna (Type 284) on the for'd LA.DCT (part G12) - it was a Yagi array similar to that depicted by parts PE1 and PE3 - nor have they reproduced the AW.RDF (Type 279) at the fore and main topmasts - admittedly this is difficult (but not impossible) in 1/700 scale. A radio direction-finding "hut" with an aerial on top was fitted on the quarterdeck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:37 pm 
I see, thank you all for the help.
But I think I'm gonna do the 1943 version, since I'm still a newbie in scale ship building, and having less confidence in scrapping the kit catapult deck.

so basically you can built an early 1943 version from the kit, OOB with some changes in her camo and some minor inaccuracy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:12 pm 

QE's history in 1943 is as follows (see http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono ... zabeth.htm for more detail):

January-May - repairs in Norfolk Virginia
June - Trials in US waters
26 June - left Norfolk en route to UK
9 July-27 August - completion of refit in Devonport
Remainder of the year - working-up and preparation for deployment to Eastern Fleet

During the Devonport time, modifications included removal of catapult and aircraft facilities, addition of 16 twin 20mm Oerlikons (ie all those mentioned in my earlier post except the four on "B" and "X" turrets), rearrangement of boats stowage, addition of D/F hut on quarterdeck and complete change of camouflage scheme.

Note that the camouflage scheme depicted in the kit's instructions was worn from 1941 until the repairs in the USA; she emerged from refit in a disruptive scheme, which she only wore at sea during the trials and Atlantic crossing before being repainted at Devonport into another, different, disruptive scheme which she wore until late 1944, when this was changed to an Admiralty Standard scheme.

Thus the configuration given in the instructions is (nearly) correct for June/July 1943, if the camouflage scheme is changed. Curiously, Trumpeter's 1/350 scale version attempts to show the pattern required (http://www.trumpeter-china.com/Uploads/ ... 03bb75.jpg), although there are some inaccuracies in panel shapes!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:10 am 

A few shots of HMS Warspite, 1947.

http://photographs.helstonmuseum.org.uk/Search/Places/Prussia%20Cove

Post subject: HMS Valiant 1943
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:02 pm 

Looking for details on weapon fit and camouflage for HMS Valiant 1943, any help would be much appreciated.

John

Post subject: Re: HMS Valiant 1943
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:10 am 

I built Valiant last year from the Trumpeter kit but modified to 1943 appearance.

https://www.amazon.com/Shipcraft-15-Que ... 04&sr=8-1&

that has what you need and is an otherwise excellent resource for the class. There's a great colour profile for the camouflage and you can infer all the AA fit from that drawing as well. Below (from a review I found online):

camouflage is 4 colours, AP507A, B5, MS3 and AP507C.

Weapons fit is 8x 15", 20x 4.5", 4x 8 barrel pom-pom and lots of 20mm. Want me to list the 20mm positions as I interpreted them?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:49 am 

According to Alan Raven & John Roberts British Battleships of World War Two (Arms & Armour Press, 1976), VALIANT was fitted with 10 single 20mm Oerlikons in July 1942 (two each on "A" and "Y" 15" turrets, two right aft on the quarterdeck, and two each side of No 3 Platform Deck). The AA remained thus into 1943. After the refit ending in July 1943, she also carried six twin 20mm Oerlikon mountings (two each on "B" and "X" 15" turrets (from which the quadruple 0.5" mountings had been removed) and one each side of the shelter deck just abaft "B" turret) and 15 single 20mm Oerlikons (one each side on Shelter Deck abaft the twin 20mm, one each side on the former Catapult Deck, three each side on foc's'le deck abreast after superstructure, one each side at after end of No 3 Platform Deck, one each side in for'd corners of after superstructure and one atop the after LA.DCT).

Her camouflage in early 1943 (until she went for refit in March) was an assymetrical two-colour one - port side is shown in the third photo on this page: http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_di ... page_2.htm. After refit, she wore the scheme depicted in the diagram in Vlad's posting.

If using the Trumpeter 1/700 kit, note that the RDF (radar) fit will need to be altered for 1943, boat stowage moved to the former Catapult Deck and new boat cranes fitted; the style of crane provided is wrong for VALIANT, which had the older "bent-arm" cranes and not the ones with an auxiliary jib.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:03 pm 

Thanks very much Vlad and Tim, that all helps enormously, I actually have the Shipcraft 15 book but had forgotten about it, There certainly is a lack of coverage for HMS Valiant compared to her sisters,

Vlad, did you post pics online of your build ????.

Tim, I intend building her in 1/350 scale using the Trumpy HMS Queen Elizabeth kit as the base. She will be as mid 1943 covering the Italian landings.

Happy Modelling

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next