The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:12 pm 

VALIANT's cranes were similar to those of previous battleships such as REPULSE and WARSPITE, ie single jibs with a marked angle on both their upper and lower surfaces. QUEEN ELIZABETH's cranes resembled those carried by the King George V class, ie jibs with a shallower angle on the upper surface, almost flat on the lower surface and an auxiliary jib hinged about halfway along the lower surface.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:03 pm 

Thanks

So would you perhaps suggest then, in lieu of specific cranes for Valiant, that I could use those on the GMM set that are labelled for HMS Repulse?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:14 am 

Without measuring from reliable plans it's difficult to be sure, but VALIANT's crane jibs look identical to REPULSE's - not sure about the base unit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:43 am 

No worries, it's the crane jibs that look really bad moulded in plastic, so even if I just replace them, that will be a big improvement.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:39 am 

Added Kostas' Valiant to the Gallery entries on the first page.

Has anyone see reviews of Valiant and/or Malaya? I have both kits, was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on their overall accuracy.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:41 am 

The Trumpeter kits are generally accurate but, as ever, it depends how much of a stickler for fine detail you are; cranes, in particular, warrant replacement with photo-etch to improve the models. As with all Trumpeter's 1/700 scale kits of ships of this class, the 15" gun barrels have "collars" around the muzzles which should be removed.
VALIANT's cranes are wrong, as are the platforms on the main armament turrets for the .5" AA guns (both referred to in the thread above), and if completed as in the instructions, the kit, although sold as "1939", will carry some of the RDF (radar) aerials as fitted later in the war - although the Type 79 on the mastheads, which was carried in 1939 is not represented (unless made of photo-etch, they would be very clumsy) - and several small guns which (I think) represent single 20mm Oerlikons which, again, were not fitted until later in the war. For 1939, the Walrus amphibian should be replaced with a Swordfish floatplane.
The MALAYA kit doesn't include the yardarms for fore- or mainmasts, but the inclusion of two Walrus aircraft is hard to understand - her catapult was removed when the additional twin 4" mountings (supplied in the kit) were added. The necessary 20mm Oerlikon mountings are present, but poorly represented, and, again, the masthead RDF arrays are missing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:02 pm 

Thanks. Good info

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:20 am 

Review of the Malaya posted here: http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?op ... tid=69:tru

It's in German, but there is an option to translate the page.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:02 pm 
Hi guys... I am ploughing through building my 1/350 Warspite, from the Academy kit. I am trying to build her as around 1944-45.

I just read on another forum that the 4-inch casement guns on Warspite were plated over in/around 1942. Can anyone (RNfanDan) or others confirm this please, and do you have any images showing them plated over, please?

My references are poor to be honest. I can't afford the crazy prices being asked for Raven/Roberts or Burt in the UK, so will have to rely on my forum friends goodness.

Are there any other pitfalls I need to look out for, please?

Many thanks
CNH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:37 pm 

WARSPITE never carried her 4" guns in casements - a casement is a window. They were in single Mk III mountings on the foc's'le deck from 1926 until her modernisation, when they were replaced by twin Mk XIX mountings, again on the foc's'le deck.

She was completed with 12 6" guns in casemates; four were removed in her modernisation in 1934-37 and the remainder in 1944 before she took part in Operation Neptune, bombarding German positions in Normandy. Any photographs taken during the Normandy or Walcheren bombardments, or those taken while she was awaiting scrapping, or wrecked off the Cornish coast, show her with plated-over casemates, for example photos A23915 and A23916 on the Imperial War Museum website (http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search), or on a Warspite website (http://www.warspite.dk/images/Warspite-1947.jpg) - or even the photo in the posting on Page 15 of this very thread by AngloSaxon posted on 27 January 2012.

Other work carried out in the 1944 repair period included removal of four single 20mm Oerlikons and fitting of four powered twin Oerlikons, RDF Type 284 on the main DCT above the bridge replaced by Type 274, two barrage-directors with RDF Type 283 fitted on the after superstructure, the two 36" searchlights on the signal bridge replaced by two of the above-mentioned twin Oerlikons and Type 650 guided-missile jamming device fitted with aerials either side of the foremast starfish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:31 am 

Chaps,

Can anyone help me in my hour of need, please?

I have had a calamity with the window strip of photo etch just beneath the compass platform on 1/350 Warspite. Is it the admiral's window? (It's the next section up from the main control tower. Please see pic.

Does anybody know where I can buy a replacement without having to buy the whole photo etch sheet again (It's from the Academy Premium edition - but am sure other versions would fit).

Pontos don't reply to their emails unfortunately, as I have already tried that avenue.

If anyone has a spare one (long shot) or knows of anyone who makes them, please could you let me know? I am willing to pay of course.

Thank you in advance.

ps: tjstoneman - thank you for your reply regarding the casemate guns (my error putting casement!). I appreciate your help.

CNH

Attachments:
conning.jpg
conning.jpg [ 81.28 KiB | Viewed 5176 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:05 pm 
I was wondering whether anyone has got the Trumpeter 1/700 kit of the 1941 Queen Elizabeth and what they think of it? I am looking at getting that and the 1939 Valiant and using them for the time of the Italian attack on Alexandria and was unsure of how much work would be rrquired on each kit to get them to look 95% correct for this period of the war?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:56 pm 

I was mulling to backdate a Trumpeter 1/700 Malaya 1943 kit to her March 1941 configuration, when she was guarding a convoy and "stared down" German battlecruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau before they withdrew without firing a shot.

Aside from applying the striped paint scheme/"Alexandria' paint scheme of 507a and 507c which I referenced from Les Brown's Queen Elizabeth class battleships (Shipcraft) book, what else needs to be done?

The Shipcraft book only says which further AA positions and aerials were installed from her July 1941 refit onwards, but doesn't say anything of what she had before.

Should I assume her AA suite was the same as that of the Trumpeter Barham 1941 kit then? And use the Barham references accordingly?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:43 pm 

Significant modifications were made to MALAYA between March 1941 and 1943; several changes need to be made to backdate the Trumpeter 1/700 scale kit. These should include:
Fitting fixed athwartships catapult between funnel and after superstructure.
Omission of after pair of twin 4" HA mountings, removal of associated splinter shields abreast catapult position and removal of splinter shields from around the other four 4" mountings.
Omission of after pair of octuple 2pdr pompoms (Parts F6/F7/F10), and reshaping of after superstructure to remove overhanging sponsons where they were mounted.
Omission of all 20mm Oerlikons and removal/omission of their splinter shields ("tubs").
Omission of all RDF antennae (parts C11, C30, PE6 and PE10), plus removal of platforms for Type 281 from topmasts (Parts C13 and C14).
Removal of RDF offices from Part C3 (rectangular sections forward of rectangular supports for Part C4) and Part C15 (starboard section of raised section of Part C15), and omission of Part C6.
Addition of two quadruple 0.5" mountings on circular platforms on "X" twin 15" mounting (in the positions later occupied by Oerlikon mountings), and another two abreast the conning tower (in the positions later occupied by Oerlikon mountings on Part C33).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:19 pm 

Thanks for your very detailed reply.

I take it you've built the Trumpeter Malaya kit? Which PE set did you use? WEM?

tjstoneman wrote:
Significant modifications were made to MALAYA between March 1941 and 1943; several changes need to be made to backdate the Trumpeter 1/700 scale kit. These should include:
Fitting fixed athwartships catapult between funnel and after superstructure.
Omission of after pair of twin 4" HA mountings, removal of associated splinter shields abreast catapult position and removal of splinter shields from around the other four 4" mountings.
Omission of after pair of octuple 2pdr pompoms (Parts F6/F7/F10), and reshaping of after superstructure to remove overhanging sponsons where they were mounted.
Omission of all 20mm Oerlikons and removal/omission of their splinter shields ("tubs").
Omission of all RDF antennae (parts C11, C30, PE6 and PE10), plus removal of platforms for Type 281 from topmasts (Parts C13 and C14).
Removal of RDF offices from Part C3 (rectangular sections forward of rectangular supports for Part C4) and Part C15 (starboard section of raised section of Part C15), and omission of Part C6.
Addition of two quadruple 0.5" mountings on circular platforms on "X" twin 15" mounting (in the positions later occupied by Oerlikon mountings), and another two abreast the conning tower (in the positions later occupied by Oerlikon mountings on Part C33).

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:23 pm 

I used Trumpeter PE for the Type 284 SR.RDF and breakwaters ahead of the 6" casemates, WEM for the remainder of the RDF antennae and the light AA, and Starling Models for the cranes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:24 am 

Hmm. Looking through other threads on builds and reviews about the 1/350 Warspite and Queen Elizabeth, it seems these particular Trumpeter kits differ from previous ones by having the hull split in the middle rather than allowing waterlining to be easy without a separate red hull piece.

The Trumpeter 1/350 Repulse, along with other kits, has a 2 piece waterline hull and red lower hull, in marked contrast to their Queen Elizabeth and Warspite kits.

Still, has anyone attempted to make a waterline 1/350 Queen Elizabeth (or Valiant) from the Trumpeter kits despite the hull being in 2 middle halves?

I assume these first 2 sisters were more similar to each other than Warspite despite their similar rebuilds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:38 pm 

There doesn't seem to be a wood deck available on Ebay for the Trumpeter Malaya kit.

I don't see any reason why one wouldn't just use the Hunter deck made for the Trumpeter Barham kit, and just graft it on the Malaya kit.

Does anyone disagree?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:05 pm 

What color scheme was HMS Warspite at the Battle of Cape Matapan? Was she still in the same 507B she wore at Narvik?

Les Brown's Shipcraft book on this class only mentions her paint schemes from 1942 onwards, but not before.

Also, the book mentions that Barham reverted to "overall grey" (p. 55, Brown) for a time before she received the two tone (507A and white) camo she had at her sinking. Does anyone know which grey he was referring to?

I'm assuming Barham was in that overall grey during Matapan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:37 am 

Hi,i am planing my HMS Warspite build (1942) And i have a bit of a problem! As far as i can see all the deck winches were removed by 1942? I can not find any photo evidence to the contrary . I find it strange that a capital ship would have none.but i can't find any .. My sources are British battleships,Burt. Anatomy of the ship Warspite. Profile Morskie warspite. Battleship Warspite,Tarrant. British battleships of worl war 2,Raven and roberts. And ray Beans Queen Elisabeth class photo cd.. I have found six electric winches Fitted pre refit .but all photos of these areas post refit show no winches, and i can not find any in any other location ... What do you guys recon??? Was she winchless????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next