The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 pm 

mauricejob wrote:

I am building her as commissioned because I think that is the purest design, though I cannot disagree with a comment that the later rig gave her a somewhat more purposeful or aggressive look. The scale is 1:96 (I had the plans produced by NMM at this scale; the originals are 1:48) We discussed scale many years ago in NZ and settled on 1:96 or 1:100 as a good universal scale which allows for small ships to be radio controlled (I am doing a tug which is 1-foot long) up to battleships which, while big, are manageable. And they sit IN the water and look imposing. Tiger is 88 inches or 2300mm long and will weigh approx. 80lb or 36kg, depending on how I trim the model. It has 10kg of concrete in the lower hull, and the battery is 4.4kg.

Re the conning tower, the fun stuff comes now, search lights, railings etc. I enjoy detailing

Wow... that's a behemoth!!! How would you launch and recover it? Are you thinking of removable ballast? and maybe someone in waders?

How detailed will you maker her?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37 am 

The hull has two handgrips built in, but the common practice over here, with smaller models anyway, is a launching cradle. I am going to investigate this idea, but probably two separate units which would make it possible for two people to lift her. I have a spreadsheet of ships in this scale, and examples are HMS King George V 93 inches and 106 pounds. USS New Jersey 110 inches and 114 pounds HMS Vanguard 101 inches and 112 pounds. For interest only USS Carl Vinson (carrier) 136 inches and 256 pounds, she would have an overall beam of 31 inches.

I will put as much detail on Tiger as I can prove. WW1 ships are much simpler than WW2 ships, but there is plenty to do. I have a number of NA Ough's drawings that apply to the ship, plus photos etc. Ladders, rails, vents etc make the ship look complete. Currently I am trying to prove the rigging of the derrick post. I have LEDs to use in the 24" searchlights and have yet to make the units (detail is a bit scarce). I will fit and wire nav lights, but I suspect from my reading that she would never had shown lights while in this configuration; True or false?

A contact over here has a USS Missouri in 1/96 built on a Model Dockyard hull with all their detail and the sheer quantity of it makes the model look very real.

Attachments:
File comment: I did it! Tiger was launched in our swimming pool on Sunday, 15th December, 100 years after the original.l Her first "wetting" was in this form as the ship was pretty much in this state when launched.
Launched 15-12-2013.jpg
Launched 15-12-2013.jpg [ 84.03 KiB | Viewed 3308 times ]
File comment: The hatch was then fitted
Launched No 2.jpg
Launched No 2.jpg [ 71.68 KiB | Viewed 3308 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:27 am 

Phil R wrote:

Moderator Edit: This thread is for Lion, Princess Royal, Queen Mary and Tiger. Separate Tiger thread merged here.

Could someone rename the thread to a new one ? I was searching for a HMS Tiger thread cause Im in the processes of building a Combrig 1/700 HMS Tiger and couldn't find a HMS Tiger fan thread.
Something like Calling all Lion/Tiger class BC fans.
Thanks in advance. :thumbs_up_1:

Last edited by Timmy C on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Done

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:56 pm 

How have you found the kit of Tiger? And how far along are you. I have the documentation for the 350th kit and am unsure of some of the detail, eg around the conning tower which I think is incorrect.

Yep, sorry, this thread has been somewhat taken over by my model, but trust me, I think this ship surpasses all others in looks. I look forward to seeing other projects of Tiger and her half sisters.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:47 am 

mauricejob wrote:
How have you found the kit of Tiger? And how far along are you. I have the documentation for the 350th kit and am unsure of some of the detail, eg around the conning tower which I think is incorrect.

Yep, sorry, this thread has been somewhat taken over by my model, but trust me, I think this ship surpasses all others in looks. I look forward to seeing other projects of Tiger and her half sisters.

Why ? Whats wrong with the details around the conning tower ? Now you've got me worried. I thought that both the 1/350 and the 1/700(the version that I got) from Combrig is an "as competed" HMS Tiger.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:46 am 

Yes the kit is "as built" particularly in the rig. There are a couple of errors

Have a look at the photo of my Tiger that shows the close up of the conning tower. I believe that shape is correct. The round tower in the kit diagram is not correct. I make this statement based on very close study of the photos in the book "Clydeside Battlecruisers" (see previous posts for description). It's quite a feature of the ship (BTW, the director which is on top of the tower, is not yet fitted to my model). The bridge structure looks mostly right for this phase of the ship's life, later on a considerable amount of structure was added. I feel from the diagram the compass platform is too big.

The other thing to check is the props are shown in the drawing incorrectly. They should both turn the same way on each side of the ship; ie on port they both turn clockwise looking toward the stern. The drawing has one going each way. Tiger also had two rudders inclined at 12degrees (my calculation) from vertical. This seems to have been common in battlecruisers (see discussion above) but the kit drawings and parts shows only one.

I am very interested in watching your model develop, to me 700 is such a tiny scale to work in, so I envy your fine touch.

Attachments:
File comment: This photo from the book shows the props and rudders, it was taken the day before launching. The wood area is the recess for the armour
stern.jpg
stern.jpg [ 167.75 KiB | Viewed 3227 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:04 pm 

Quick question, did HMS Tiger(as built) had a stern anchor ? Combrig model in 1/700 a small hole that looks like a place for an anchor on the stern.
Thanks in advance. :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:17 pm 

As built a hawse pipe was fitted but as shown in the photo appears to be plated over( looks like a dent). I have one photo that seems to show a capstan and the deck opening. Later when the stern walk was removed it seems the stern anchor was completed. I have no idea why it happened this way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:51 am 

So, I shall plate it over ? Or leave as it is just without an anchor ?
Thanks in advance. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:30 pm 

Hi Maurice,
congrats on your big cat. I wil follow the build with great interest, as I am about to begin construction of a Combrig 1:700 Tiger right now. I wonder just how I can get some Norman Ough plans of that ship - do you think you can help me with this? I plan to build her in the 1919-18 guise with an aircraft flying-off platform and canvas hangar atop turret Q.
Cheers,
George Pék

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:16 pm 

Did N Ough draw plans of Tiger? I can't recall them if he did.

The battlecruisers rudders, such as the 'cats', had a total of 70 degrees of throw ... 35 degrees each side.

So far I'm finding that an image of her 24in twin searchlights are really hard to find. I'm looking for them on others ships of that era for my own 'big cat' and what complicates matters is there was at least 3 versions of the twin 24in mount (no doubt each by a different manufacturer). Lion class & Tigers may be the same?

I will fit and wire nav lights, but I suspect from my reading that she would never had shown lights while in this configuration; True or false?

She'll have had the red & green navigation lights on a bridge platform. She'll have had white lights on the mast(s) and somewhere on the rear structure facing aft will have been 3 lamps arranged horizontally, such as: x.....x.....x

I don't now their colour nor their purpose [maybe positional for the next astern?] but have seen them on several classes of capital ship. I did look through what images I have of Tiger but can't see them on her so I've included images of the first 4 ships I found that show them clearly. I marked Courageous's with blue to make them clearer.

Any interior 'fighting lamps' were blue shaded.

Re: the 'conning tower'. Don't wish to 'teach granny to suck eggs' but the armoured hood for the argo rangefinder sat on a "squat spotting tower some 3ft 9in high and 9ft internal diameter" on the roof of the conning tower. The additions either side of the conning tower are the control positions for the secondary armament. The main-armament 'Director' was on the roof of the 'spotting top'.

am unsure of some of the detail, eg around the conning tower which I think is incorrect.
The only thing I see missing on the conning tower is the vision slit under the flat roof. Plus the roof fittings you mentioned you still needed to add.

p.s. in the photos which one are you? Don't say the good-looking one! :cool_2:

p.p.s. may be able to help with the main derrick rigging scheme. I will look into it. That for the small boats should be easy to transfer over from the shorter radial davit. IIRC, Tiger has high davits.

Attachments:
Ajax Fighting-Positional Lights.jpg
Ajax Fighting-Positional Lights.jpg [ 90.82 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]
Australia Fighting-Positional Lights.jpg
Australia Fighting-Positional Lights.jpg [ 121.25 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]
Courageous Fighting-Positional Lights.jpg
Courageous Fighting-Positional Lights.jpg [ 104.27 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]
R-Class battleship Fighting-Positional Lights.jpg
R-Class battleship Fighting-Positional Lights.jpg [ 35.76 KiB | Viewed 3085 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:23 am 

DavidP wrote:
TCC, wouldn't the 3 horizontal lights be red, white & green?

Hello,
I have no idea what they are beyond guesses. That would suppose you have an idea what they are?

Maurice
The arrangment to rig a main derrick such as the Lion class & Tiger.

4" F.S.W.R - 4in flexible steel wire rope

Cordage H.L - cordage hemp line?

Attachments:
Tiger Rigging Arrangement of Main Derrick.jpg
Tiger Rigging Arrangement of Main Derrick.jpg [ 193.71 KiB | Viewed 3014 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:08 pm 

Thanks for the additional info Gents,

NA Ough did not draw Tiger as such. I have a number of his detail drawings, eg the derrick post, w/t doors, hatches, vents, anchors and cables etc. Many of these fittings were 'standard RN' fittings so are applicable to many ships. The "Derrick Post" drawing is actually of Warspite. Coupled with photos where possible, it is possible to get a pretty accurate reproduction.

The NAO drawings became a part of the David MacGregor collection which is now in the care of the SS Great Britain Trust (http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/brunel-in ... ollections)They have a catalogue in pdf form

Re the lights; I have identified the steaming lights on the mast and the red/green navigation lights, but the only close up stern view I have is quite early in fitting out and there is no lamp. Normally the following (anti collision) lamp is right at the stern. The other lights I can't see in the photos I have.

Stern anchor
So, I shall plate it over ? Or leave as it is just without an anchor ? It should be plated over per the photo if you are depicting the ship in her original rig. The sternwalk was landed and the rig had its first change in 1915.

1917-1918 detail
I am unaware of any detailed drawing of Tiger as at the end of the war. No major changes were made post WW1 apart from the removal of the flying off platforms and hangar. There are a number of photos of her with them, Search "HMS Tiger 1913" in Google

The photos of the launching include my son and myself and our cat.

Attachments:
File comment: A couple of images from John Roberts' article in "Warship" and the drawing is one of a series showing the evolution of Tiger's rig.
2013-12-27 16.48.56.jpg
2013-12-27 16.48.56.jpg [ 81.58 KiB | Viewed 2978 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:03 am 

Maurice
I found out what thos elamps are. Tiger didn't have them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:24 am 

Excellent ! What are they?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:32 am 

mauricejob wrote:

Stern anchor
So, I shall plate it over ? Or leave as it is just without an anchor ? It should be plated over per the photo if you are depicting the ship in her original rig. The sternwalk was landed and the rig had its first change in 1915.

The photos of the launching include my son and myself and our cat.

Thanks for the stern anchor info ! Cute cat btw :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:10 pm 

Guys, is this camo legit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-x-14-Broadside-View-Colour-Art-Plate-HMS-LION-Martin-Holbrook-publ-EVELYN-/351004043456?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item51b978a8c0

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:52 pm 

IIRC, this comes from a book of RN ships (I have a copy). This was proposed, but never applied, to Lion.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:02 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
IIRC, this comes from a book of RN ships (I have a copy). This was proposed, but never applied, to Lion.

REALLY. What book would that be? Does it have profiles from both sides of the ship? I'm about to order a Lion from FreeTime and would love to do her up in this.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:46 pm 

Here you go...

Attachments:
IMG_2943.JPG
IMG_2943.JPG [ 239.7 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]
IMG_2944.JPG
IMG_2944.JPG [ 221.17 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]
IMG_2946.JPG
IMG_2946.JPG [ 202.99 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next