The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:50 pm 

Kenny, read his post subject ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:21 am 

Im building a 1/128th scale Missouri BB11,so your project is interesting to me to say the least.Where are you getting your plans??Loyalhanna dockyard has them ,as does Maryland Silver Co.Im modifying a Swampworks S. Carolina hull.Then in the future I may scratchbuild a 1/96th or 1/72nd version.So Kenny,any progress??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:13 am 

Tim,

I have a set of plans that are 1/192 from Chris E, but its cage mast style, not GWF.

I am getting another set of plans from Loyalhanna i think... but they are very expensive....Luckily a friend on here (who's name i cannot reveal because of the top secret information :big_grin: ) is purchasing them for his own use too... so i just get to use them.

As for the actual progress... not much. It will be a few months before you see any pics probably.... But i think i speack for my colleague and myself when i say you shall be shocked. haha.....that'll leave you hanging.

So for now, its mostly research. i think i have every pic of Ohio on the internet! If anyone needs help finding info on their builds i'm always willing to help out a GWF fan.

So anyways on your missouri....Will that work with a SC hull? i never thought of that. it'll be 1/144 scale, not 1/128. Also, do you already have it? cuz swampy went under!

Post subject: predreadnoughts
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:35 am 

Cant wait to see your project.The S.Carolina was larger than the Missouri,so a 1/144 S.Carolina hull works out to be roughly a 1/128 or 1/125th Missouri hull.I bought the Swampy hull before he went by by.The more I look at this hull ,the more I think about just scratchbuilding one in 1/96th scale.In the past,Ive always started with a fiberglass hull,so scratchbuilding a hull is something new.There where several differences between the three ships of the Maine class,so remember that when using photos as references.I personally like the way the Maine looked best,but since Im from Missouri,its the BB11 for my project!I purchased copies of the original plans(13pages!)from Maryland Silver Co.They where of the Ohio,so I had to use photos to figure out the differences.I sent John Haynes all my info and we emailled back and forth deciding on the specific details on the BB11.His BB11 is now on display on board BB63 in Pearl Harbor.I learned alot of things researching this ship,like the Gatling style guns with horse carriages they carried,shorter stacks for the Ohio,different anchor handling,etc,Also,ALOT of things where changed between the plans and the finnished ship,so watch out for this.I look forward to seeing your model.Take care.,

Post subject: Modelkrak St Louis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:43 am 

Kevin,I have that kit also and Im converting it over to the St Louis also.This project is on hold for now though.I have the hull painted and screwed down on a base thats about it. The kit is of a later time frame than what Im building.Im backdating it so I can use the buff and white scheme.Ive only found a few pictures of the St Louis and no good closeup photos.From what I can tell,there werent any obvious differences between the two.After my Missouri BB11 project,a 1/96th St Louis CA20 is next.Stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:04 am 

make sure you guys post lots of pics for me to see!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:09 pm 

Tim, I agree the kit represents St. Louis most closely as a WWI fit. I'm not too picky on era, so I'll probably do the disruptive paint job. Let me know if you need anything. I'm going to the War Memorial Downtown to look for any references for St. Louis. I'll let you know what I find....let me know if you still want a new funnel, I'll cast one up for you, just let me know which one (I think they are different).

Post subject: USS Illinois (BB-7)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:10 am 

Here's a shot of my latest "big" project - the 1/350 USS Illinois (BB-7), from Iron Shipwright.

Hull and most of the major superstructure parts are painted, the superstructure parts are dry fit onto the hull in this picture. I haven't worked on her (or anything else) lately, as we are in the midst of some home improvment work. When the opportunity arises and I can get back at it, I first have to repair the paint on the deck, which decided to come up along with the tamiya masking tape that was laid over it.

The buff is a WEM soviet aircraft color, the white is humbrol, the boot stripe Testors, while the lower part of the hull is a WEM colorcoat as well.

These were small and not very complex ships, so once everything is painted, it should go together rather quickly (famous last words). When this is done, I want to get back to completing some un-finished projects that have been laying around half-done.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Last edited by MartinJQuinn on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:08 am 

Looking very crisp Martin :thumbs_up_1:

I'm strictly a WWII and onwards man but there's something about the early US BB's that makes me want to have a go at one.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:49 am 

Have great pleasure to built this nice kit

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Jef :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject: USS Illinois
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:08 pm 

This is the best looking American predreadnought class and it looks pretty good so far as a model. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:33 pm 

Anyone build or work on any GWF ships lately?

I haven't been able to start one yet, but I did drag out the plans and turrets I have and drool over them...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:10 pm 

I finished most of the rigging on my USS Maine... but I still think it looks pretty bare. Problem is, I don't have a good reference for the rigging, and I don't logically know where much else should go... any suggestions are appreciated.

USS Maine 1/700 Combrig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:59 pm 

Beautiful!

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:08 am 

It looks very nice!! Even on a small scale!
If I may ask, what did you use for rigging?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:57 am 

nick wrote:
It looks very nice!! Even on a small scale!
If I may ask, what did you use for rigging?

Thanks, Nick. I used stretched black sprue. If I see a cheap all black kit (ex. RoG 1/144 F-14A or Monogram Sr-71) I grab it because I know that I can use the sprue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 pm 

THATS TINY! I don't think I could manage ANY rigging at that scale, and yet you complain that you don't know where to put anymore! :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:36 pm 
Hello every one!

I just came across this site and wanted to ask for help. i'm thinking about purchasing the Uss Maine 1/350 from Iron Shipwrights (also sentimental reasons since I'm an spaniard), and the info in the web about this kit is almost inexistent. Any info or experince working with this kit? Thanks in advance to everyone!

Antonio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:05 pm 

antonio perdices wrote:
Hello every one!

I just came across this site and wanted to ask for help. i'm thinking about purchasing the Uss Maine 1/350 from Iron Shipwrights (also sentimental reasons since I'm an spaniard), and the info in the web about this kit is almost inexistent. Any info or experince working with this kit? Thanks in advance to everyone!

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

I purchased this kit several years ago and I think it's a good value for the money. I've pushed the ISW parts replacement guarantee pretty hard with it since in my attempt to cut down the hull to a waterline version I did some major damage and ISW replaced the entire hull casting, no questions asked! As far as I can tell the model matches the prototype very closely. It's good to have some additional reference materials though because the directions (at least in the version of the kit I received) are pretty basic. I also found it helpful to replace the kit-supplied masts with brass tubing.

Craig

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:18 pm 

Hello everybody,

I've visited this forum on and off for a while now but I recently began my first serious scratchbuilding project. I'm working on a 1/96 scale USS Texas and thus far I've finished the keel and about half of the hull stations. Thus far everything is progressing slowly but predictably and I've benefitted a great deal from the projects on the scratchbuilding thread. I hope to get some photos up on that part of the site later today or tomorrow.

I've been thinking ahead to some of the steps that will follow the completion of the hull stations. If I understand correctly, the scratchbuilding threads are for information on techniques and threads here are for factual questions, so here goes:

Can anybody tell me what the width of the main deck planking was on the ships of the GWF? The plans I have show 6" width, but I don't know if that was the actual dimension or simply the draftman's preference. Also, was there a standard length for deck planks. I seem to recall reading somehting about 20' somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw that.

I've seen one close up photo of the launching of the USS Maine which shows some rivet detail on the hull of that ship, but most of the photos of Texas I've seen (including a very nice one of the crew cleaning the bow of the ship while still in her SPW grey) don't seem to show the divisions between the hul plates or rivet detail. SHould I worry about this detail on a model built in this scale?

Finally, the Texas had an armored belt extending diagonally across the deck between the turrets. Does anybody know what the surface of this looked like or if it was painted to match the buff superstructure (You bet my model is going to be white and buff!)?

Thanks for your help,
Craig

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next