The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:08 pm 

angeleyes wrote:
looking for cross sections for the lower hull part for the hyuga or ise so i can built a full hull hyuga in 1/700.It would be the ww2 era so it must be the one with the side buldges.I have build a lower hull from balsa wood but i would like to check how close or far is it from the real thing.

Hi angeleyes

I only have this of ISE I hope it was a little help.
http://www.aeronautic.dk/wm-03.jpg

I'm looking forward to see some pic. of your model when you are finish.
Best regards and happy building.
Lars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:55 pm 

Ben Berkowitz wrote:
I always thought the Fuso, and maybe the Ise, were very useless ships. I think in retrospect, I would have scrapped one of them and used its metal, which was in very short supply for Japan even before the war. I think that would have been a better use of it.

This was true of a great many ships of the signatories to the Washington and London treaties. These ships lasted, and in the case of some (especially the Italian battleships), went through remarkable modernizations simply because the treaties forbade replacements before 1937 or so.

The real shame for Japan (and Britain in the case of the "R"s) was the consumption of thousands of professional sailors to staff ships that were obsolete and nearly useless.

-- "A Nation at Risk" (1983)

Post subject: cross sectioms
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:07 am 

thanks lars , they are a big improvement considering i couldnt find anything myself.I was looking at your ijn collection, love the yamato specially, with all the little extras.Ill post some pictures hopefully today of my 1/700 yamato in progress.I just finish replacing the deck with balsa and painted it, plus glued lower hull from the takara yamato to it.My aim is to built all ww2 ijn battleships full hull.meanwhile here is a couple of (poor)shots of my other yamato and (waterline early tool) and kirishima taken by my cousin back in greece.Image

Post subject: yamato
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:00 am 

i just saw in one japanese page a yamato in 700 scale with lower hull as well and from what little i could understand from the text it seems it was a combination of tamiya and nichimo kit s.Is actually nichimo offering a full hull yamato in 700 scale?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:52 pm 

I think Nichimo always did have a full-hull 1/700 line.

Post subject: Re: yamato
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:49 pm 

angeleyes wrote:
i just saw in one japanese page a yamato in 700 scale with lower hull as well and from what little i could understand from the text it seems it was a combination of tamiya and nichimo kit s.Is actually nichimo offering a full hull yamato in 700 scale?

Fine pictures of your models :thumbs_up_1: I like the paintwork too.

I believe that Tamiya has a full hull model of Yamato in 1:700
see link to my friend in Japan. Tomoya Kawai

http://www.geocities.jp/tkinfo_homepage/model/yamato.html

Lars

Post subject: hull
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:47 pm 

i believe from the two words i can understand from all the text next to the picture (tamiya & nichimo) that this is a combination of upper part from tamiya and lower from nichimo.I have never heard of tamiya produsing a full hull in 700 yamato let alone any ship for all i know.Anyway either way cant see myself ever geting hold of any of these two kits if they exist that is anymore.

Post subject: hull
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:54 pm 

but hey!!...dont need to anymore :cool_2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:16 pm 

So...I aquired a VERY old kit of the IJN Hyuga 1/700 (Hasegawa) at a local IPMS auction. I paid a whole $1 for it. I know absolutly nothing about these IJN ships, and the only guides I have are very old instructions (that doesn't even give me a color reference) and your models that have been done already. The kit I have, displays the ship in it's early version, pre-aft end refit. The only other kits I have seen built by others that show this version in 1/700, has details that seem differnt than mine. Did they build 2 pre-refit types of Hyuga models? Because I think I have the really, really old one. The one I am building is not nearly as detailed as some of the others I have seen, so I am having to put a lot of "scratch" into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:46 pm 

Jason M. wrote:
So...I aquired a VERY old kit of the IJN Hyuga 1/700 (Hasegawa) at a local IPMS auction. I paid a whole $1 for it. I know absolutly nothing about these IJN ships, and the only guides I have are very old instructions (that doesn't even give me a color reference) and your models that have been done already. The kit I have, displays the ship in it's early version, pre-aft end refit. The only other kits I have seen built by others that show this version in 1/700, has details that seem differnt than mine. Did they build 2 pre-refit types of Hyuga models? Because I think I have the really, really old one. The one I am building is not nearly as detailed as some of the others I have seen, so I am having to put a lot of "scratch" into it.

AFAIK, the newly re-tooled all gun Hyuga is an upgraded version of the previous all gun Hyuga. Meaning, other than making a much nicer model, it's the same basic ship. Hyuga was radically rebuilt during the mid to late 30's, the new tool shows the ship circa 1941, IIRC.

Hasegawa makes some nice PE for the newly tooled version - not sure if it would fit on the older release. There is also a small booklet by Profile Morskie on the 1941 Hyuga, which has a 1/700 plan inside of it. Might be worth picking up.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:49 pm 

I hope I'm not stomping on old ground here, but I just took delivery this week of my new-tooled Hasegawa Ise (hybrid version, not all-gun) kit. I am very impressed. The carton alone for this thing, is actually quite a bit larger than that of Tamiya's new-tooled Yamato.

I'm getting into 1:700 at a great time it would seem, although I am late enough to have missed Hasegawa's multi-media Shoho. The only old-mold kits I have are Hasegawa's Akagi and the Tamiya Taiho, although they are much newer than the TRULY old molds that were around in the 1970's that I found so poor.

Speaking of poor, does Fujimi make anything in 1:700 that is decently accurate and good quality? They seem to be the "Lindberg" of Japanese kit makers....true or false?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:52 pm 

RNfanDan wrote:
I hope I'm not stomping on old ground here, but I just took delivery this week of my new-tooled Hasegawa Ise (hybrid version, not all-gun) kit. I am very impressed. The carton alone for this thing, is actually quite a bit larger than that of Tamiya's new-tooled Yamato.

I'm getting into 1:700 at a great time it would seem, although I am late enough to have missed Hasegawa's multi-media Shoho. The only old-mold kits I have are Hasegawa's Akagi and the Tamiya Taiho, although they are much newer than the TRULY old molds that were around in the 1970's that I found so poor.

Speaking of poor, does Fujimi make anything in 1:700 that is decently accurate and good quality? They seem to be the "Lindberg" of Japanese kit makers....true or false?

Some of the newer Fujimi stuff, like the Tone, Yamato and Musashi are decent.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:43 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Some of the newer Fujimi stuff, like the Tone, Yamato and Musashi are decent.

Thanks twice, Mr. Quinn! First, for your answer; second, for reminding me of an important IJN cruiser class I'd forgotten to include on my kit-acquisitions list! :doh_1:

Since this post's origination, I have acquired retooled Fujimi kits of Musashi (as-built configuration) and their very nice Kai-Matsu destroyer.

For anyone interested in my opinion, Fujimi's Matsu (kit#40040, ©2006) surpasses that of Tamiya's 1994 molding, in both quality and detail. :wave_1:

Last edited by RNfanDan on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:06 pm 

THx for the info MartinjQuinn. Yes, my Hyuga is very old. Even the directions are ancient. However, I got some PE from GMM, and made the best of some of it. I actually have a lot left over though. Perhaps I can use it in a future build, otherwise I will use it as spare stuff or trade it with someone who needs it. I should be done with this 1$ kit today, just have to put it in some water. Pics coming soon.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:11 am 

Here is my finished 1$ model of Hyuga. Not the greatest build in the world, but it's my second attempt at 1/700 scale. Its also not very historically accurate because I just didn't want to put the effort into the research. However, it brought me hours of enjoyment for very little money. Thanks to all of you who gave me advise on this build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:29 am 

Very nice Jason, I'm gonna try and do something similar with a Hasegawa 1/700 Essex. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:17 pm 

RNfanDan wrote:

I'd say Doyusha is the Lindberg of Japan :heh: . I'm just finishing work on their atrocious 1/150 Type VIIc U-boat (don't ask... :roll_eyes: - the reason for this will be in the Picture Post forum soon) and have also just bought their 1/250 Yamato (more as a starting point for scratchbuilding than as a kit)
Aoshima are probably the Lindberg-equivalent in 1/700, until recently at least.

To Jason M - your Hyuga is certainly very impressive looking (not being an expert on Japanese ships I can't see the inaccuracies!) It's certainly better than what I've managed so far in 1/600, and I've built about a dozen ships in that scale so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:35 pm 
Hello all.

I would like to ask some of the experts here, what was the major difference between the Ise and Hyaga during the early 40's(before the conversion to Hybrid AC). I have heard that was a small difference in the aft mast, is that true ? Or there is also in bridge some details ?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, the (experimental) radar atop the raingfinder when it was installed and when it was removed? Or it was never removed until the conversion to Hybrid AC's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:22 am 

Guest wrote:
Hello all.

I would like to ask some of the experts here, what was the major difference between the Ise and Hyaga during the early 40's(before the conversion to Hybrid AC). I have heard that was a small difference in the aft mast, is that true ? Or there is also in bridge some details ?
Thanks in advance.
Btw, the (experimental) radar atop the raingfinder when it was installed and when it was removed? Or it was never removed until the conversion to Hybrid AC's.

Yes there was differences between ISE and HYUGA, I have tried myself to find the small things to distinguish the ships from each other. but with all warships and Japanese in particular, the ongoing improvement in different armament, and new features added in all there lifetime -do the task a little more challenging. I have build both ships HYUGA as BB, ISE as BB/CV from Hasegawa new mould. try to see the small differences above. Or try to "Google" the ships to find pic. from the net.
The "experimental" radars (Type 21 on ISE Type 22 on HYUGA ) on top of the rangefinder was added in 1943 to the ships during the conversion to BB/CV and lasted to the ships very end. (You can see the radar on the ships from pic. of their wreck after the war at Kure)
Some levels of the pagoda is different, number 2 and 3 deck above the bridge also the placement of some of the small gun director towers.
And as yourself states the main mast W-shape versus T-shaped the location of the small Red/Green navigation marks etc.
There are maybe more but this was what I could remember for now.

HYUGA from the book Japanese Combined Fleet at Its Zenith (Ships of the world no.489)

HYUGA and ISE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:17 pm 
Oh thanks.

Btw I have the "Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, volume 2" wich is about Ise and Fuso class, and in the page 96 it shows Ise with a radar (matress style-type 21?) on its main rangefinder(During 1942). Also in http://www.combinedfleet.com/Ise.htm its says that "25 May 1942:
Kure. Undergoes engine room repairs. ISE is also fitted with one of the first experimental model Type 21 air surface search radar sets in the IJN. She conducts tests in detecting HYUGA successfully in the Iyo Nada."

And for Hyuga same site http://www.combinedfleet.com/Hyuga.html
: "20-28 May 1942:
A Type 22 surface search radar is installed. HYUGA tests the set in detecting the ISE in the Inland Sea, but it is deemed unsatisfactory by Captain Matsuda and is removed."
But sadly no info for when it was removed (I guess it was also removed from Ise ?).

And something last, about Fujimi. Fujimi makes all of the Myoko class heavy cruisers and the 2 Yamato class Battleships with new tooling. Both of them they are awesome. Actually I prefer the Fujimi ones instead of Hasegawa, mostlty cause of price(and better art box :D). About the rest of 1/700 ships from Fujimi they are just the old moulds with some new parts added(AA guns, new boats etc.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next