The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Marco_Trigo wrote:
the smart lad

USS Nevada 1941
by ~Lioness-Nala

Not sure of gender....

Slawomir Lipiecki, guy from Poland, loves female cats, Heavy Metal and guns. What's wrong with that? Nothing, I love it, but, well, he's an author for Kagero's naval series, so he's a pro.

And that makes it worth talking to him because soon enough he's going to have a book out on Nevada and that white bridge is going to become "a reference", something a lot more serious than a wrong hull shape on a kit.

Marco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:19 pm 

Marco_Trigo wrote:
Slawomir Lipiecki, guy from Poland, loves female cats, Heavy Metal and guns. What's wrong with that? Nothing, I love it, but, well, he's an author for Kagero's naval series, so he's a pro.

If that's the case... Abe do you want me to contact him or coach you on points to present to him?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 am 

His last public message was around the idea that if he was making any profit out of it, he would take the issue seriously... so I'm not sure he's really interested, although he appears to be more receptive to the white not being there.

Marco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:06 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Marco_Trigo wrote:

If that's the case... Abe do you want me to contact him or coach you on points to present to him?

Whichever is fine with me. As Marco said his last message seemed like he was open to learning more. He also mentioned that he will be making new drawings soon with the launch of his new website, so it sounds like a good time to help get it right! You can see our convo in the comments of the initial drawing I asked about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:34 pm 

Fellows,
If someone is working with Mr. Lipiecki, you might also mention to him that the boat cranes he is depicting for Nevada are actually the type used on Oklahoma. Nevada's cranes had a straight upper arm. Oklahoma's were 'angled'.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:23 am 

Don't know if people have seen this, but there's a load of real color film of USS Nevada presumably at Pearl Harbor in '42 being pulled into dock some time after being raised, from around 40 minutes into the video. There also seems to be a Colorada class featured (presumably West Virginia) being shunted into dock by tugs, from about 34 minutes into the video.

The whole film is a fascinating insite into that place at that time, but most of the best footage is toward the end. Much of it is best viewed on full screen.

Also the first part (reel 1 of 2) is well worth viewing, and includes a battleship amongst other images around Pearl Harbor.

http://youtu.be/Nr7R83vlmSs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:58 pm 

For what it's worth, that's footage shot by [URLhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ford]John Ford[/URL] and his crew for the movie "December 7th."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ford#War_years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_7th_%28film%29

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 am 

Rob-UK wrote:
...There also seems to be a Colorada class featured (presumably West Virginia)...
The 1st one is Tennessee - the first frame you can see the fuzzy hull # - the 2nd digit looks like a 3 or 5 & Colorado wasn't there - also @ "16:28" you can see her wrecked x turret (Tennessee took one of the same bombs/14"AP's Arizona did on top of her x turret & catapult). the last one (with the orange turret) is WV - you can see the Torp damage & shoring on her port side @ 35.23.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:28 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
History has a lot of inertia to it. :smallsmile:

Tell that to Pol Pot :cool_1:

So.. Back on Topic. Anybody get ahold of the new Blue Ridge Nevada yet?

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:36 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Marco_Trigo wrote:

First of all - thx for your interest on my drawings.
You can contact me by my e-mail adress: irbis@warships.com.pl
my personal Webpage: www.warships.com.pl
or just via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001671723340

Best Regards,
John S. Lipiecki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:08 pm 

Skimming through the plans of Oklahoma that Tracy posted on his site, http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/BB37/BOGP/RG19AlphaOklahoma157370-2_a.jpg , I noticed that the superstructure deck is labeled as 3" Douglas fir whereas the main and upper decks are listed as 3 1/2' teak. Why the difference? And what kind to color difference would we expect to see? Would the Douglas Fir appear darker than the teak? Now I'm wondering if all the battle line was the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:51 pm 

When do the plans date from? Wasn't the Navy doing tests on alternates to teak, considering a shortage in the event of war?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:20 pm 

Colorado and Maryland were running tests on alternatives (Angelique wood for Maryland and Mangachapoi [Mangachapui in the source docs] on Colorado) at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor. I haven't seen anything on tests on other ships, but the documentation I have about these tests were something I stumbled upon.

Since there was less blast pressure on the superstructure decks and less rolling around on it, I could see them using a thinner, less durable wood to save money.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:34 pm 

It's also interesting that the decks above the superstructure deck are labeled as "Mastic deck cover". Any ideas/thoughts on that?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:18 am 

Looks like Varnish of some sort - I see some varient still for sale, but the closest I can find for an official USN description is this.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:04 am 

Maybe it has something to do with what looks like brown linoleum in that color photo of the Idaho from 1940? Perhaps they're speaking of mastic in the sense of bituminous tar, coated in brick dust or something after it's applied to the steel deck.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:31 am 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
Skimming through the plans of Oklahoma that Tracy posted on his site, http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/BB37/BOGP/RG19AlphaOklahoma157370-2_a.jpg

Great set of plans, BTW. Thanks Tracy for posting. I've spent 1/2 the morning looking over them. I'll have to print them and have them enlarged - they will be useful if and when I start working on the Iron Shipwright 1/350 Okie again.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:36 pm 

Somewhat related, I spent some time last year "coloring in" the torpedo defense system as well as hits Oklahoma took to better understand what happened:
http://researcheratlarge.blogspot.com/2 ... -pt-i.html
http://researcheratlarge.blogspot.com/2 ... ystem.html

I'd like to do the same with Nevada based on her Damage report so that we can visualize what happened, but I haven't got to it yet.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:19 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Great set of plans, BTW. Thanks Tracy for posting. I've spent 1/2 the morning looking over them. I'll have to print them and have them enlarged - they will be useful if and when I start working on the Iron Shipwright 1/350 Okie again.

Don't compare the plans to that kit unless you want a few headaches! Hopefully someday we'll see a plastic kit of her.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:48 pm 

Looking for any good detail drawings of the Okie's hull. Amazing how you think you know a subject until you actually try to build and detail it. It's for a diorama of the Maryland and Oklahoma in the PH aftermath. So, I'm planning on converting an Arizona hull to the Okie, just using two of the 4 screws, but not being a ship expert, I'd love to see the exact placement of the various details underneath that I'll need to scratchbuild and scribe. PH photos aren't quite enough, I've found.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next