The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:35 pm 

For what it's worth, these platforms existed on many other ships that had searchlights on platforms. There is a well-known picture of Photographer Ed Steichen aboard CV-16 Lexington on one of her searchlight platforms. I haven't made an opportunity to research them yet but presume they were for maintenance of the mounts or mechanical equipment.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:03 am 

Tracy White wrote:
For what it's worth, these platforms existed on many other ships that had searchlights on platforms. There is a well-known picture of Photographer Ed Steichen aboard CV-16 Lexington on one of her searchlight platforms.

Thanks Tracy. I've seen that photo but didn't realize that was where he was standing.
Tracy White wrote:
I haven't made an opportunity to research them yet but presume they were for maintenance of the mounts or mechanical equipment.

That is damned inconsiderate of you. You should be anticipating our needs! :heh:

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:33 am 

Martin wrote -
Quote:
That is damned inconsiderate of you. You should be anticipating our needs! :heh:

Well, anticipate this (lol :big_grin: ) -
Those were electric arc light units and as such, I would imagine that the panels are indeed electrical control boxes for the searchlights. That is an interesting photo taken from below. If it were me, I would find some unused PE grating and scratch make those access platforms.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:41 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:

I've actually contemplated starting something like a Patreon or GoFundMe to fund ship modeler focused research trips in the past, but it gets complex to figure out how we'd select what and how much time, etc.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:36 pm 

Following Jeff Sharp's posts on Oklahoma's rafts, this is what I came up with for locations.
Attachment:
bb37-01with rafts.jpg
bb37-01with rafts.jpg [ 210.13 KiB | Viewed 45575 times ]

Other than size and number of rafts at each location, did I miss anything?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:39 pm 

Even CB1, Alaska had these sub searchlight platforms. Apparently for servicing the training gear located below the searchlight platform proper.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:42 pm 

Going back to the locations of rafts, I've been looking at photos Jeff Sharp posted earlier in this thread, especially these two.

I think I see a second large raft aft of the one Jeff pointed out on the conning tower, perhaps hanging off the superstructure. Any thoughts?
Attachment:
Okie1941a.png
Okie1941a.png [ 409.18 KiB | Viewed 26411 times ]

I also think I see a raft, attached horizontally, to the port side of the vegetable locker. Again, anyone have any thoughts on that?
Attachment:
Okie1941.png
Okie1941.png [ 779.31 KiB | Viewed 26411 times ]

Finally, for the raft on the port side of the conning tower, would it be logical to assume that there'd also be one on the starboard side? Many of the rafts do seem to be symmetrical, with a corresponding raft on the opposite side of the particular ship.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:36 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Going back to the locations of rafts, I've been looking at photos Jeff Sharp posted earlier in this thread, especially these two.

I definitely see one in the first photo, vertical. The horizontal one in the second photo is harder to make out, but I can see it, and it also looks as if there's at least one smaller one nested in there. I don't know much about battlewagons, but judging by how many rafts the carriers had strapped to them early-war, I'd bet that anything that 'may' be a raft is indeed a raft.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:15 pm 

I'm having "raft fever"....I think I'm seeing rafts everywhere now.

I see the raft on the conning tower (raft 1) and one just aft of it (raft 2), both vertical, and what "looks" like more rafts amidships?
Attachment:
OkieatPH1941a.jpg
OkieatPH1941a.jpg [ 57.42 KiB | Viewed 26259 times ]

Raft 1 is the one originally called out on the motion picture booth, but now I think it is actually hanging on the railing just to port of the booth, which is why it appears at an angle.
Raft 2 is on the vegetable locker (horizontal)
Raft 3 is on the director platform on the tripod - the Big 5 carried rafts on their aft cage masts, so this is possible (which makes me think there would be a twin on the other side of the platform).
Then do I see more rafts on the forward superstructure? Maybe the same silhouettes seen in the top photo? Or am I seeing what I "want" to see?
Attachment:
Oklahoma4a.jpg
Oklahoma4a.jpg [ 22.22 KiB | Viewed 26259 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:41 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Raft 1 is the one originally called out on the motion picture booth, but now I think it is actually hanging on the railing just to port of the booth, which is why it appears at an angle.

EDIT: David, I think you are right about the location of this raft being on the back of the crane.

Using my model as an example, here is where I think I see rafts, with the likely hood of the ones on the forward superstructure and tripod having a twin on the starboard side:
Attachment:
IMG_9526.jpg
IMG_9526.jpg [ 297.88 KiB | Viewed 26228 times ]

Trying to be as accurate as possible, given the limited evidence we have.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:55 pm 

Trying to figure out the location of the accommodation ladders when stowed. This seems to be the spot for the aft ladders, tied up against the 40' motor boat cradles:
Attachment:
OkieLadders.jpg
OkieLadders.jpg [ 89.66 KiB | Viewed 20762 times ]

Can't find any photo that show the stowage for the forward ladders. Anyone have any ideas where they stowed them while underway?

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:51 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Trying to figure out the location of the accommodation ladders when stowed. This seems to be the spot for the aft ladders, tied up against the 40' motor boat cradles:
Attachment:
OkieLadders.jpg

Can't find any photo that show the stowage for the forward ladders. Anyone have any ideas where they stowed them while underway?

Trying to double check, I feel like a saw a reference to them laying across the deck forward of turret one. But not finding where I saw that so I may be mistaken with another class. Will dig some more.

On a separate note, interested in learning more about Decklights. These are prevalent in the first generation dreadnoughts of the USN, and seem to be have been carried up till at least their rebuilds in WWII. Are they actual lights that illuminate or are they just single skylights? Looking at plans, they do seem to be near crews mess and quarters, the few images I can clearly pick them out shows what looks like a flush porthole, so I am leaning towards the later.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18