The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:30 pm 

I'm PMing you an old e-mail address; I don't know if it's still good, but I don't want to post it without permission.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 am 

Added available kits of this class and links to gallery entries of this class to first post.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 am 

What camo was the New York painted at Iwo Jima? Was she still in the dazzle scheme at that point or was that used only during transit to the Pacific?

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:44 am 

She was still in camo as late as Christmas Eve, 1944. These photos are cropped from larger aerial views of the Terminal Island shipyard:
Attachment:
File comment: BS photo 294639
BS_294639_TerminalIsland_122444_crop2.jpg
BS_294639_TerminalIsland_122444_crop2.jpg [ 226.32 KiB | Viewed 4493 times ]
Attachment:
BS_Unknown_TerminalIsland_122444_crop.jpg
BS_Unknown_TerminalIsland_122444_crop.jpg [ 341.1 KiB | Viewed 4493 times ]

I believe that is Arkansas sitting across the pier from her.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 am 

Okay maybe this was answered before in this thread, but does the double 14" of USS Nevada class fit to a USS New York or USS Texas ? I'm planning to do USS New York as commissiong in early 10's and I was going to use the double 14" from a 1/700 Oklahoma.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 pm 

Just checking in for the first time! I thought I would ask about any news or rumors about any injection molded USS Texas' in 1/350.... I would love to do the ISW resin version but yikes its pricey. But I've only heard good things about it so I may give it a shot...

Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 pm 

Patrick J McCarthy wrote:
Just checking in for the first time! I thought I would ask about any news or rumors about any injection molded USS Texas' in 1/350.... I would love to do the ISW resin version but yikes its pricey. But I've only heard good things about it so I may give it a shot...

Patrick

I have the ISW Texas. It's one of their nicer kits (in the box - haven't built it yet) and worth buying, IMO.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:44 pm 

Martin,

Its good to hear that you like your kit. You are not alone from what I've read and asked around about. I think I may have to just pull the trigger and buy it. Is there excessive pour plugs or trimming?

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:52 pm 

Patrick J McCarthy wrote:
Martin,

Its good to hear that you like your kit. You are not alone from what I've read and asked around about. I think I may have to just pull the trigger and buy it. Is there excessive pour plugs or trimming?

Patrick

My kit has a pretty big casting plug/over pour on the bottom, but it shouldn't be too hard to lop off.

This is actually the 2nd Texas I acquired. I bought one a few years back, sold it and regretted it, then scooped it up when I saw someone selling it last year!

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:22 pm 

Thank you Martin. I think you have me sold. One more question for anyone out there who may have this kit: does it come with extensive PE and metal barrels? Or is it a basic PE set with resin barrels?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:52 am 

Many of you provided help with my TEXAS Squadron at Sea book (ya'll know who you are). I was told that they arrived from the printer, and mine were shipped today, so they should arrive next week. As promised, I'll be shipping your copies out as soon as I get them. While I usually get mine a little in advance, but the holidays (and or the books being 152 pages) kept that from happening this time, and I did not want ya'll seeing this on a shelf of a hobby shop and thinking I forgot about you.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:42 am 

Two of my brothers, my father, and I are doing the hard hat tour in November. Can't wait!.

Also, I wish there were more kits available for the Texas and New York. It's pretty much just the 1/700 Samek resin kits and the 1/350 ISW kit. I'd grab an ISW kit if it wasn't over $300! Unfortunately it's the only currently produced full hull kit out there.

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 am 

I got to go on Texas a long-long time ago (when I was a kid - barley remember it) I live way north of there & can't get down to Houston - thought I would post my 2400 scale mini picks - the painted is '45 - the unpainted is '12 - I also included my 1892 Texas (ACR-2) with a deck pick for comparison.

Attachments:
USS Texas Deck 2.JPG
USS Texas Deck 2.JPG [ 76.32 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]
USS Texas SB.JPG
USS Texas SB.JPG [ 39.78 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]
USS Texas Deck 1.JPG
USS Texas Deck 1.JPG [ 139.79 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]
USS Texas Port.JPG
USS Texas Port.JPG [ 61.5 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]
USS Texas Decks.JPG
USS Texas Decks.JPG [ 76.13 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]
USS Texas 1 Port.JPG
USS Texas 1 Port.JPG [ 36.03 KiB | Viewed 3908 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:00 pm 

Working on solid model of BB-35 and am looking for accurate hull frames. Have blueprints I purchased long ago and now looking for vector drawings or other source reference. Saw a forum member Mitch Landry had posts of scratch-building photos. Noticed the frames laid out on wood for cutting. Would be interested in those drawings if possible.

Thanks,

~ drew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:06 am 

Hello everyone.

I turn to you for help. My name is Krzyszfof and i am a Modeler from Poland .In closer time I'm going to start to build a model of the battleship uss texas on a scale of 1: 100 or 1: 96 as detailed as possible. I have a lot of pictures from the Internet, a couple of books, etc. In view of the fact that I was shooting solutions please help photo documentation. Maybe someone can submit photos, drawings. I will be grateful for all the help.My mail is modelman@interia.eu
Thank very much for your help .
Best regards
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:25 am 

Well it looks like in addition to a 1/700 Texas Blue Ridge is also going to release a 1/700 New York (1944)

Just saw the little teaser on Freetime's website. Kindof a no brainer really. I don't think New York and Texas had a ton of differences. Glad to see the New York class getting some love finally. :woo_hoo:

Dallas, Tx

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:48 am 

Hallis wrote:
Well it looks like in addition to a 1/700 Texas Blue Ridge is also going to release a 1/700 New York (1944)

Just saw the little teaser on Freetime's website. Kindof a no brainer really. I don't think New York and Texas had a ton of differences. Glad to see the New York class getting some love finally. :woo_hoo:

1914 - $100 :cry_3: why so much - can't afford that - Would like to see a reasonable priced version!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:28 am 

GMG4RWF wrote:
Hallis wrote:

1914 - $100 :cry_3: why so much - can't afford that - Would like to see a reasonable priced version!

I think you're confusing the Samek Resin kits that have been out for awhile with the Blue Ridge ones that we haven't been given any details or pricing on yet. Blue ridge are going to be plastic, and ~1944 fit. So hopefully less than half the price of the Samek kits. And if they are ~$100 it'll be because they'll also be including PE, brass barrels, wood deck, etc.

Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 am 

Hallis wrote:
I think you're confusing the Samek Resin kits that have been out for awhile with the Blue Ridge ones that we haven't been given any details or pricing on yet. Blue ridge are going to be plastic, and ~1944 fit. So hopefully less than half the price of the Samek kits. And if they are ~$100 it'll be because they'll also be including PE, brass barrels, wood deck, etc.
Looked up "Blue Ridge" but guess so - you know browsers can never look up what you ask for :Mad_5: - anyway would love to see New York/Texas 1914 - 700 scale in plastic/brass, with pivoting 5"/51s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:27 am 

Careful with the Samek USS New York, is total inaccurate for a 1914 USS New York. It has different searchlight platforms and its actually a USS Texas with a USS New York box art, but of course making a USS New York style searchlight platforms from spare parts its easy. At least this is what I have done. With my Samek USS New York model.
Btw here compare the two real ships in 1914, not the searchlight paltfroms on the cage masts and the cranes on USS New York had no searchlight platforms. USS Texas is in front while the USS New York is the ship behind:

Edit:The ship in the background is either USS Florida or USS Utah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next