The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:20 am 

Based on looking at the instructions but not having built the kit: the bottom of K15 isn't supposed to sit directly on L3. K7 and K4 should provide sufficient height clearance to allow PE20 to touch L3 without crimping. Note the "step" on K15's bottom is greater than the step on L3 to allow this clearance for PE20. Here are three photos that may help you understand what's supposed to happen there:
http://navsource.org/archives/01/034/013400a.jpg
http://navsource.org/archives/01/034/013400c.jpg
http://navsource.org/archives/01/034/013446w.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:10 am 

Thanks Timmy, I see where I went wrong :doh_1: It's a strange way to build a superstructure, but easy to understand when you pay a little more attention to the instructions.
Many thanks, John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:50 am 

Paul Budzik posted a good fix for the Trumpeter BB-34 / BB-35 blister shapes on Youtube, here.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:58 pm 

While checking Navsource photos regarding turret top numbers and colors in the pre-WWII years, I failed to find any where I could discern such markings on the New York or Texas (or Arkansas, for that matter). Has anyone encountered any shots of BB-33 through 35's turret numbers? (every ship seems to have had free reign in the size, font, position, and color of the number as long as it was on the roof of turret 2)
Also, I know these three BatDiv 5 ships had yellow as their assigned turret top color, and the documents posted on Tracy's website indicate that it was a fleet-wide thing and not just Pacific fleet, but has anyone seen any photos showing whether these three ships ever actually did have their turret colors applied?

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:42 pm 

Your question brought up another question for me. If BB-33-35 had their turret tops painted what was the SOP for those ships considering they had more turrets? Would both of the rear most turrets have the colored roof or just the very last turret?

On a slightly related note, had there been another battleship division would the main color have been green? I'm thinking about adding a couple "what ifs" to my Pacific fleet and want then to follow the same painting/camouflage conventions in place. (Probably the Washington BB-47 and two South Dakotas (BB-49 type)).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:56 pm 

I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself. BatDiv 6 would most likely have had green forward turret tops.

Of course, throw in the entire BB-49 class, and you might start considering BadDivs of 4 ships and mix in a fourth color for the aft turrets. I'd guess black.

Another way to take it is to postulate a later start to the pacific war and start adding BB-55 through 71 to the old fleet organization schemes... That is, what if the Two Ocean Navy construction had actually completed as planned. (This, of course, opens up the question of what carrier aircraft tail colors would have been for Hornet and the Essexes, as the six available colors had already been assigned to CV-2 through 7)

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:58 am 

Most likely they would not have had tail colors on the planes the same way they did pre-war. Consider that even by 1940 they were camouflaging carrier aircraft and that the 5-D /5-O / 5-L camouflage paints were ordered be be used almost a full year before the attack on Pearl Harbor. They would have done something - they did have different colors to the lettering of CarDivs after all. It would have been more subdued however, similar to what they did with the various shapes that were painted before and during the G symbol stage.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:04 am 

Here is a follow-up video with additional improvements to the Trumpeter 1/350 hull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_tfemxce4c

Paul

http://paulbudzik.com/current-projects/Neptune/Lockheed_Neptune_Model_Budzik.html
http://paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/outside_the_box.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:27 pm 

Holy. Cow. That is really, really good stuff. You make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:25 pm 

This looks like what is sure to be a museum-quality ship in the making.
I could only wish to have so much patience, skill, and attention to detail.

Well done sir!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:06 am 

Hi Plastic Habit

Just to let you know I have all of my goodies for my 1/350 Texas, and also confirmed your information regarding the removal of the aircraft catapult off the mid Turret May-June for the Normandy Invasion (Squadron Page 106-107 etc) The book was an excellent purchase, thanks for your assistance.

Regards
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

Attachments:
Ship USS Texas Build 032.JPG
Ship USS Texas Build 032.JPG [ 184.81 KiB | Viewed 3369 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:42 am 

Peter H wrote:
Hi Plastic Habit

Just to let you know I have all of my goodies for my 1/350 Texas, and also confirmed your information regarding the removal of the aircraft catapult off the mid Turret May-June for the Normandy Invasion (Squadron Page 106-107 etc) The book was an excellent purchase, thanks for your assistance.

Regards
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

Looks great! I ordered trumpy Texas too.. but still in shipping..
hoping to see your building log too!

Dennis
-------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:51 am 

Is there a 1/700 uss texas kit on the market? Can't seem to find one. Samek i know used to have one just dont see it sold anywhere anymore. Been wanting to build it so I have a battleship namesake for every state I've lived in.

in progress:
1/700 USS Montana BB-67
1/700 USS Houston CL-81

Waiting Drydock
1/700 USS Guam CB-2
1/700 Sigourney DD-643
1/700 USS South Dakota BB-49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 am 

Betelguese90 wrote:
Is there a 1/700 uss texas kit on the market? Can't seem to find one. Samek i know used to have one just dont see it sold anywhere anymore. Been wanting to build it so I have a battleship namesake for every state I've lived in.

There are two 1/700 USS Texas on Ebay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/182496206420?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USS-Texas-1945- ... Swol5Y1~ur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:31 am 

varifleman wrote:
Betelguese90 wrote:

There are two 1/700 USS Texas on Ebay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/182496206420?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USS-Texas-1945- ... Swol5Y1~ur

Thanks! I will have to keep an eye on them

in progress:
1/700 USS Montana BB-67
1/700 USS Houston CL-81

Waiting Drydock
1/700 USS Guam CB-2
1/700 Sigourney DD-643
1/700 USS South Dakota BB-49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:27 am 

Thanks! I will have to keep an eye on them[/quote]

and yet another 1/700 Texas on Ebay to follow;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flagship-Models ... 1a293d1b2d

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:40 am 

Hey guys - as a general rule, since these posts are going to hang around "forever," it's better to PM eBay links so that these threads don't get massive with old and expired information. Not trying to squelch enthusiasm in the slightest, it's just that our monster threads scare some people away and the moderators don't always have time to go back through and prune old posts.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:27 am 

SeanF wrote:
Hallis wrote:
A friend of mine picked up the Texas kit. Looks to be good but the panel lines on the hull are WAY too pronounced. hopefully easilly fixable by a bit of sanding.

Panel lines are easy to sand down (though I'd suggest starting with a seam scraper tool to shave off the first 90% before laying in with the sanding sticks.) Re-shaping the bulges to anything close to correct is much harder.

- Sean F.

Hi Sean,

Will you use the same technique to fix Trumpeter's 1/350 New York class's bulges the same way you did with the 1/700 Trumpeter Colorado class kits?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:14 am 

I've just picked up a Trumpeter 1/350 USS Texas. On the slips before this is my current build of the 1/200 Arizona, with the 1/200 HMS Hood following her onto the slips.

However, as this is an older kit now, I'd like to try and collect as many of the after market items as possible whilst they are still available.

If anyone has recommendations on which may be:

1) Best PE to acquire for this particular kit
2) Best woooden decking kit

they would be greatly appreciated.

Underway:
1) 1/350 USS Enterprise CV-6
2) 1/200 USS Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:51 pm 

Building the Samek USS New York 1914 in 1/700, wanted to ask around what time the spotting top on the forward cage mast was enlarged.

Anyone can also date the second picture ? Notice she dosnt have a rangefinder on the roof of number 4# turret.
Thanks in advance. :thumbs_up_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next