The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:42 pm 

:cool_2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:26 pm 

:woo_hoo:

Very nice built ChrisC

Jef :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:24 pm 

Jim Baumann wrote:
>>The festivval dreamworks Massena scales out exactly--its a good starting point- appears to be based on the archive plans-the hatches--whilst depicted closed are all in the right place and in the right number <<

Oh yay... I revise my above brief summation for the kit Massena somehat ....

A few points I have addressed so far;

1) Stern in the kit is eggshaped--almost pointy should be round..; now it is! gluing in styrene was essential as the hull being hollow would have been sanded thru....

2) Overall beam is a little narrow--and the hull is parallel--it should be a gentle curve along its entire outboard edge. The small turrets for/aft of the main midships turret should be inboard of the max beam-

-in the kit they overhang.... This was cured by gluing on strip styrene and sanding back whilst checking against plans until the correct footprint and curvature was obtained

3) Snout Bow was a little short--and far too blunt. The sharp step-line from the bow to the batterie sides was in reverse-as well as being in the wrong place and shape-this was partially cured by paring back the blunt bow. Curiously--the lengthening of the bow restored the correct loa.... the snout should have a pronounced sharp ridge atop

Foredeck was too long and the fwd structure wrong in shape--strip styrene sanded to shape cured both in one fell swoop

4) The turrets are a peculiar shape--bear no resemblance to plans or photos- will make scratch new.

Thats it so far....

I have been taking a few photos for the eventual build article--all will be revealed.

Out of the box--the kit would make something akin to an' artists impression' to Massena-

-to make a reasonably accurate model much work and scratch-building will be required....

It is only just marginally quicker than scratchbuilding..... :lol_1:

JIM B :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:50 pm 

But at least there's a kit! :big_grin:

Post subject: Massena
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:24 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Jim Baumann wrote:
>>The festivval dreamworks Massena scales out exactly--its a good starting point- appears to be based on the archive plans-the hatches--whilst depicted closed are all in the right place and in the right number <<
A few points I have addressed so far;
1) Stern in the kit is eggshaped--almost pointy should be round..; now it is! gluing in styrene was essential as the hull being hollow would have been sanded thru....
2) Overall beam is a little narrow--and the hull is parallel--it should be a gentle curve along its entire outboard edge. The small turrets for/aft of the main midships turret should be inboard of the max beam-
-in the kit they overhang.... This was cured by gluing on strip styrene and sanding back whilst checking against plans until the correct footprint and curvature was obtained
3) Snout Bow was a little short--and far too blunt. The sharp step-line from the bow to the batterie sides was in reverse-as well as being in the wrong place and shape-this was partially cured by paring back the blunt bow. Curiously--the lengthening of the bow restored the correct loa.... the snout should have a pronounced sharp ridge atop
Foredeck was too long and the fwd structure wrong in shape--strip styrene sanded to shape cured both in one fell swoop
4) The turrets are a peculiar shape--bear no resemblance to plans or photos- will make scratch new.
Thats it so far....
I have been taking a few photos for the eventual build article--all will be revealed.
It is only just marginally quicker than scratchbuilding..... :lol_1:
JIM B :wave_1:

What do you intend to do for davits? None are included in the kit - one is supposed to use stretch-sprue or whatever. I searched my supply of PE for material resembling Massena`s davits:
http://tsushima.org.ru/fotoarhiv/fr/ebr_massena/images/01.jpg
I tried drilling small holes into strips of sheet styrene, but this will take some practice to perfect...any ideas? :scratch: ....anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:45 am 

I shall be using some TINY pierced girder material from(fittingly!) l'Arsenal

I think its from the 1/350/400 Libertyship PE

its THE smallest pierced girder I have seen!--hence the desire for Carnot--her bridge framing I have solved...!!

One could also use 1/350 GMM canvas dodger PE--the latest stuff has etched pierced eyelets down the side-- cut this edge off with scissors--and you end up with brass strip with pierced holes--

I shall let you know how I get on!

Jim Baumann see below for some images and ideas: with using small ladderstock, white glue and stretched sprue

see my pelayo build

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:33 pm 

shipguy wrote:
2. French battleships Voltaire, Danton and Vergniaud, all 1911.
These should be arriving over the next 2-3 months.
Thanks,
Bill Gruner
Pacific Front Hobbies
http://www.pacificfront.com

Woohoo!

Post subject: D'Entrecasteaux
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:23 am 

I received an email from the Yumematsuri folks; they expect the D'Entrecasteaux will be available for sale September-October time frame.

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/d'entrecasteaux.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:02 pm 

Hi gents-- at last--making good progress with 1/700 Massena

....having substantially modified the hull, decks, stacks etc it is now turning into a fine model....

Today received Carnot and Charles Martel from Pacific Front Hobbies

Have been collecting refs for Carnot and CM...

I am in love with Carnot--what a BEAUTIFUL hull shape.

I am having a French Phase!

Au revoir
Regards

Jim Baumann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:31 pm 

You must have gone ballistic when you saw the announcements of the french armoured cruisers by Combrig... I know I did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:11 am 

>>You must have gone ballistic when you saw the announcements of the french armoured cruisers by Combrig...<<

Yup--as well as now ardently seeking the elixir of eternal life-so that I can
live long enough to build them all!!

:lol_pound: :lol_pound:

JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:42 am 

Hello gentlemen!

My French warship fever is alive and well!

here are a couple of ( poor!!) snapshots of current status of Massena

Having unwrapped the Carnot kit and studied it...--as ever--there are significant improvements to be done--but the fundamental hull shape looks very good and I am eager to build her--along with all the other 000's of kits in my stash!

It would seem that the peculiar objects shown in the pic below are only seen whilst ship is under way--some of kind of temporary additional ventilation?-they certainly look bizarre--and thereby appeal to me!

any thoughts|?

Post subject: Fine Work
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:39 am 

C`est incredible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:04 am 
Starling Models
Starling Models

That is just too peculiar for words. Your usual impeccable job though JB

mike

http://www.starling-models.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:11 am 

Excellent as usual Jim, in particular I like the way you render the black hull, extremely realistic!

You are hurting me with all these pre-dreads! I must force myself to stay away from that era, they are too interesting, and I don't want to start any before to finish my WWII collection :heh:

Just kidding! Keep us updated please!

Dino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:24 am 

Un petit cadeau pour vous mon ami :big_grin:

Monitor Henri IV 1/270 built by Mr Anteo and posted on:

http://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php?showtopic=20057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:36 am 

Wow Dino, nice pictures. That is some model and some diorama.

Jim - what paint color do you use for black?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:25 am 

Hi MJQ!

I use black--Revell or Humbrol as a starting point--and then wash over with light grey,darker grey etc and then accentuate where required

But the hatch interiors are left deadblack.

adding all the hatch lids open makes for a much more interesting looking model!--the casting has raised scuttles--I sanded these down until they were only just visible--as a painting guide--and then added the lids-having previously painted the bulwark sides of the hatch white-the lids are made of paper-and are left white on their insides-painted after applcation in situ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:14 pm 

I have a question, Jim, concerning the spacing of railing stancions (spelling?). Do you as a rule try to place the PE so that the stancions are placed evenly (thus possibly investing more effort and more PE) or do you just place it and cut it off were it meets the next part?
I noticed this in your picture on the bridge face, on the curved railing in front of the conning tower. It was offset, beginning on the left with the beginning of the PE-part proper and ending at the right with a smaller space between stancions. Does this bother you, do you generally avoid it, or do you just do it? Long question, but I've run into it and was wondering what your opinion is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:18 pm 

Its an optical illusion Michel--the part is a hollow curve--and the railing is even both ends...!

You had me worried--I just went and checked...!!

I always go to great pains to ensure symmetry with stanchion spacing as far as possible--and always ensure that there is a corner stanchion--with a brace if necessary.

I waste huge amounts of expensive PE-GMM Goldplus superfine --to get the spacings right and enable corners to be made-- the trial and error often results in much error and therefore waste...

Cheers

JIM B

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next